South Africa v Australia | 3rd ODI | Cape Town | 9/4/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdigi

Winner of PP Design a Flyer Competition
Runs
South Africa has won the toss and choose to bat first. Always love D/N matches. So let the fun begin :)

Might do abit later under lights so no surprise Saffers are batting 1st!

National anthems are being sung and I have never see SO MANY flags....whoa. I like this tradition where both sides sing the anthem before start of play. Instills more pride and everyone is pumped up.

tdigi said:
National anthems are being sung and I have never see SO MANY flags....whoa. I like this tradition where both sides sing the anthem before start of play. Instills more pride and everyone is pumped up.

Herewith the SA National Anthem and english translation: (3 languages make up the national anthem viz. IsiXhosa, Afrikaans and English

Nkosi Sikeleli Afrika
Maluphakanyiswu phondo lwayo
Yizwa imithandazo yethu.
Nkosi sikelela
Thina lu sapholwayo.
Morena boloka Sechaba sa heso
O fedise dintwa le matshwenyeho.
O se boloke O se boloke.
SeChaba sa heso.
SeChaba sa.
South Afrika, South Afrika.
Uit die blou van onse hemel,
Uit die diepte van ons see,
Oor ons ewige gebergtes waar die kranse antwoord gee.
Sounds the call to come together, and united we shall stand,
Let us live and strive for freedom in South Africa, our land.

English Translation

God bless Africa,
Lift her horn on high,
Hear our prayers.
God bless us
Who are Your people.
God save our nation,
End wars and strife.
South Africa, South Africa.
Ringing out from our blue heavens,
from our deep seas breaking round;
Over everlasting mountains where the echoing crags resound.
Sounds the call to come toghether, and united we shall stand,

^^^ Very nice Keith. My prediction is SA will win again today. Will Parnell do the magic again?

How come we see national anthems only in South Africa but nowhere else?
I remember the 2003 World Cup (especially the first match between SA and WI...what an atmosphere when the anthems were being sung!). Do they sing th national anthem before every ODI game in South Africa?

How come we see national anthems only in South Africa but nowhere else?
They have it in Australia too and Channel 9 usually have cameras there. I guess depending on the coverage you might not get to see it

14.2 Bracken to Gibbs, OUT, Gibbs loses patience with the sluggish track and finds the deep midwicket fielder. He went down on his back knee to swing the slower one but found more elevation than distance. Hopes runs forward and gets under the ball.
HH Gibbs c Hopes b Bracken 26 (61m 47b 3x4 0x6) SR: 55.31

SA 50-2 after 14.2 overs

South Africa 111/2 (27)

JH Kallis 49* AB de Villiers 26*

35.6 Geeves to Kallis, OUT, Kallis falls after a fine innings. It was banged in short outside off stump, Kallis goes for the pull but hits it straight to midwicket!
JH Kallis c Hopes b Geeves 70 (86b 5x4 0x6) SR: 81.39

South Africa 164-3 after 36 overs @ 4.55
Last 5 ovs 31/1 RR 6.20

ABCD 56(72)

Keith said:
Herewith the SA National Anthem and english translation: (3 languages make up the national anthem viz. IsiXhosa, Afrikaans and English

Nkosi Sikeleli Afrika
Maluphakanyiswu phondo lwayo
Yizwa imithandazo yethu.
Nkosi sikelela
Thina lu sapholwayo.
Morena boloka Sechaba sa heso
O fedise dintwa le matshwenyeho.
O se boloke O se boloke.
SeChaba sa heso.
SeChaba sa.
South Afrika, South Afrika.
Uit die blou van onse hemel,
Uit die diepte van ons see,
Oor ons ewige gebergtes waar die kranse antwoord gee.
Sounds the call to come together, and united we shall stand,

English Translation

God bless Africa,
Lift her horn on high,
Hear our prayers.
God bless us
Who are Your people.
God save our nation,
End wars and strife.
South Africa, South Africa.
Ringing out from our blue heavens,
from our deep seas breaking round;
Over everlasting mountains where the echoing crags resound.
Sounds the call to come toghether, and united we shall stand,
very nice
best of luck to south africa

South Africa takes batting powerplay in 41st over and lose ABCD

40.4 Johnson to de Villiers, OUT, It was a length delivery on the middle and leg and it stops on AB who checks his across-the-line waft but gets a leading edge - a simple dolly- to mid-off. Fine innings from AB, who paced this one really well.
AB de Villiers c Hauritz b Johnson 80 (103m 87b 7x4 0x6) SR: 91.95

only 13 runs scored in 3 powerplay overs

SA 208-4 after 42 overs

Why does Ponting always have to act like a crybaby?
43.5 Geeves to Duminy, (no ball) FOUR, oh the above waist-high full toss on the off stump line, Duminy goes for the pull and it flies off the edge over the keeper. Ponting rushes to have a chat with the umpire. It was indeed a high full toss
Talk to your bowler not the umpire. Time and again opponent don't put a written complaint against this guy and he gets away with that every time.

Questioning the umpire's call every single time which goes against you is not gentlemens' cricket. Yes, may be in the rule book it says captains can ask clarification from the umpire, however, charging, rushing, dashing, storming is a way of aggression that is threatening. Not gentleman like. Aussies should be ashamed to have this kind of representative.

Final score of 289-6.

Johnson was hitting 151.5k in that last over....but got smacked for a huge 6 in the process :akhtar

shabbu1 said:
Final score of 289-6.

Johnson was hitting 151.5k in that last over....but got smacked for a huge 6 in the process :akhtar
Under the light it is a different story when 151+ comes at you.

8.2 Steyn to Haddin, 1 run, 151.8 kph, kicking up from back of length, Haddin chops it to third man.

9.4 Parnell to Clarke, OUT, Duminy has run out Haddin. It was pushed to his left at cover and they hare down the track. Duminy moves swiftly, swoops on the ball, takes aim and fires down a direct hit at the striker's end. They go up stairs and the verdict is OUT

BJ Haddin run out 15 (38m 34b 1x4 0x6) SR: 44.11

Aus 30-1 after 10 overs - need 260 more @ 6.5

11.4 Parnell to Ponting, no run, dropped by Boucher. It was the length delivery angling away from Ponting who stabs it behind and Boucher lunges forward and to his right but it seems to have fallen just short and as he rolls over the ball slips out of his gloves ..

11.5 Parnell to Ponting, 1 run, dropped by Kallis at first slip. Again, Ponting edges the ball going across him and it flies well to right of first slip and Kallis makes an acrobatic effort, almost ala Richie Richardson like full dive, but can only palm it away. Great effort.

12.2 Kallis to Ponting, no run, Run out chance missed! It was pushed to midwicket and Ponting set off for the run. Albie reached the ball and Ponting found out late that he had to get back. Albie was on his knees, saw that Ponting was half-way down the pitch and lobbed the throw at the striker's end. Boucher thought that Albie would fire in a fast throw and went a few yards behind the stumps rather than running up to the stumps. The lob missed the stumps and went to bouhcer. There was still a chance of run out as Ponting had not reached the crease. Boucher tried to deflect it to the stumps but missed.

Ponting struggling a bit and series against Pakistan could have helped him regain his form. We can be good at that

Last edited:
17.5 Botha to Ponting, OUT, And Botha gets his man. He had tied him run-less in his first over and has struck in his second. It was flighted around the off stump line and Ponting skipped down the track and was beaten in the flight. Ponting jabbed it towards the non-striker and the bowler moved to his right and in the way of the nonstriker, nearly getting tangled, to hold a good catch
RT Ponting c & b Botha 20 (36m 35b 2x4 0x6) SR: 57.14

Aus 66-2 after 17.4 - need 224 more @ 7.0

If south africa lose from here ,it will be a big psychological blow

van der Merwe to MEK Hussey, OUT, Rudi misses the big inside edge and Mike Hussey storms off towards the pavilion. It turned in quickly from outside off stump, Hussey pressed back and stabbed it off the inner edge to his pad. Rudi fails to see it and gives him the slow death. Clearly very unlucky.
MEK Hussey lbw b van der Merwe 1 (4m 4b 0x4 0x6) SR: 25.00

Rudi needs to go now he is one of the worst umpires in world cricket today.

South Africa now hot favourites to win this match.

Australia require another 152 runs with 5 wickets and 14.1 overs remaining

Look at the strike rates of Australian top order. 44, 71, 57, 60, 25. They should use Johnson as a pinch hitter.

Day/night matches at Durban and Cape Town are too dependent on the toss. It's usually much harder batting second - SA lost in Durban and Aus look like losing here.

I think it's unfair to have a one sided match that basically ends at the toss. Matches at these venues should be day games. The day/nighters can be shifted to Jhb and Centurion because there isn't such a big difference in when to bat.

Last edited:
Australias batting just seems to be woeful in ODIs at moment. They lack a gilchrist/Hayden at top of order who can dominate attacks.

102 needed off 48 balls.

Ferguson on 50 and hopeless 38

96 needed off 42 now...

some really big hitting needed here!

Lights out! FFS! Just when game was getting intresting!

The lights are gone in the stadium 96 from 42 balls. Play held up. The players get off the park and the umpires have a chat in the middle. Don't know how long this is going to take

Match is getting interesting Hopes acting as the bits and pieces player in the squad has put up a good comeback with Ferguson.

These past 3-6 overs were very good overs for the Ozzies, due to the the fact that Clarke and Haddin started SO slowly and didn't pick up the pace, really hurt Australia at the end.

When I first saw Haddin and Clarke's names opening, I was trying to stop my laugh so hard. They DO NOT know how to play the new ball, they should try something else.

Required run rate is at 13.71. Some SERIOUS hitting needed here...

They can't call it of now!!!! This is the most exciting part of the game yet!

As i said they should have used Mitch long earlier. Now he is hitting his 2nd ball for SIX

The way ferguson got out remided me the way I got out today, on 62, tried the the pull it towards long on, edged, went up and caught at cover.

S.A should wrap up game here and take a 2-1 lead...!

While thinking about scoring the fastest 50 in ODIs Geeves pulls a muscle. Physio in for malish and salon pass application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back