South Africa v New Zealand | T20 | Lords | 9/6/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

hashman

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
South Africa v New Zealand | World T20 | Lords | 9/6/09

Guess we are all excited by Pakistans performance today. In the other game

"No Vettori. Brendon McCullum has won the toss and decided to give his bowlers a crack at South Africa. James Franklin and Jesse Ryder are out with injuries, so in come Kyle Mills and Brendon Diamanti. Its a Twenty20 debut for Diamanti. South Africa are unchanged. "

Will RSA continue to show their dominance, or are NZ going to put up stiff resistance

New Zealand team
BB McCullum*, MJ Guptill, LRPL Taylor, SB Styris, JDP Oram, PD McGlashan†, NL McCullum, IG Butler, , KD Mills, BJ Diamanti

South Africa team
GC Smith*, JH Kallis, HH Gibbs, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, JA Morkel, MV Boucher†, RE van der Merwe, DW Steyn, WD Parnell, J Botha

Kaliis 2.0 here again. Starts South Africas 6 tally for the match. Boy can t be useful if YK can do something like this and open the batting. One thing is for sure, we wont have to worry about a certain persons fielding.

nz vs saf

anyone watching this? is this at lords too? nz pacers are medium pace at best but moving it all over the place, and theyve effected two brilliant direct hit run outs. case study in doing the best with limited talents. absolutely brilliant.

captain fantastic is not even playing.

yea watching itr

SA getting it from NZ

they look really good without vettori...

i wonder how will they ball against us.

Lucky if you get 130.

SA are showing why they are the most overrated team in the tournament. Maybe this batting performance will teach them not to be complacent.

NZ showing why they should not be underestimated.

We will find it tough against SL and NZ in our group.

i know its under lights, but does this explain a little about why we were struggling to hit boundaries too? is it conditions/ground? although i think you have to admit, lights or no lights, nz pacers are really utilising the conditions really well.

godzilla said:
i know its under lights, but does this explain a little about why we were struggling to hit boundaries too? is it conditions/ground? although i think you have to admit, lights or no lights, nz pacers are really utilising the conditions really well.

Lots of used pitches this is the same pitch pak played on. The scores will get lower and lower as the tournament goes on.

godzilla said:
anyone watching this? is this at lords too? nz pacers are medium pace at best but moving it all over the place, and theyve effected two brilliant direct hit run outs. case study in doing the best with limited talents. absolutely brilliant.

captain fantastic is not even playing.

I agree. NZ bowling is just so perfect for T20 cricket. Their medium pace bowling at good line and length is extremely hard to hit for boundaries and then Vettori seals it with his deadly spin, and not to mention their super excellent fielding to top it off.

Duminy gone for 29.

121-7 after 18.5 overs.

I don't think it will be enough.

New Zealand have bowled well and fielded well.

Backing NZ to give SA and all those who said they are favourites to win a reality check here.

Does this game have any effect on qualifying for super 8?

Last edited:
Zahid87 said:
Backing NZ to give SA and all those who said they are favourites to win a reality check here.

on paper they are one of the favs ..Botha and Merwe are very good T20 spinners , who can bat a bit as well ...huge difference to their previous teams .....but all said , they wont win the WC ....Steyn will be taken apart ..& dumminy and Kallis in the same T20 lineup is a big no for me !

NZ does not even haev Vitori and they still owned SAF's batting.

NZ I think locked for Semis, We shoudl better watch out and make sure we win against SL.

Zahid87 said:
Anyone wanna take a bet here ... NZ won't win this game? :13:

The kiwis have had a lot of problems at the top of the order so it will be intresting to see how they approach the run chase with req rate only around the 6 mark.

Amjid Javed said:
The kiwis have had a lot of problems at the top of the order so it will be intresting to see how they approach the run chase with req rate only around the 6 mark.

in T20s ? no way

McCullum , Guptil , Ryder (not playing) , Taylor , McGlashan , Styris , Nathan McCullum , oram

only Oram has been out of form & other wise this linup is among the top3 !

jusarrived said:
in T20s ? no way

McCullum , Guptil , Ryder (not playing) , Taylor , McGlashan , Styris , Nathan McCullum , oram

They don't have any sort of hitting power in the lower middle order. Once you get through the top order of McCullum-Ryder-Taylor, there is very little to tackle.

But the thing I like about NZ is the way they play as a team! No other team is more collective in their efforts than NZ - be it any fielding, bowling or batting!

JustAnotherFan said:
1 down ... 9 to go ... I know my team. :)
Wanted to know a few things about South Africa from the fans ...

1) Why isn't Parnell batting up the order? He is a class allrounder with much better hitting capabilities than Van Der Merwe ... isn't he?

2) Why do you think South Africa are either red hot or stone cold? No middle ground for them on many occasions, not just today!

JustAnotherFan said:
I wouldn't have brought on Kallis so early
Good thing for SA you are not the captain :p Kallis takes a good return catch to get Broom. NZ's best batsman in ...

invincible said:
They don't have any sort of hitting power in the lower middle order. Once you get through the top order of McCullum-Ryder-Taylor, there is very little to tackle.

But the thing I like about NZ is the way they play as a team! No other team is more collective in their efforts than NZ - be it any fielding, bowling or batting!

you havent seen McGlashan ?

Styris is decent ...Oram if in form , we know what hes capable of ..Nathan McCullum is good hitter ...Mills & franklin can be dangerous as well ...vettori ? they bat very deep dude

Kallis opened the bowling for Bangalore Royal Challengers in the IPL and did pretty well in the latter stages of the tournament.

invincible said:
Kallis opened the bowling for Bangalore Royal Challengers in the IPL and did pretty well in the latter stages of the tournament.

it was only one match he did well opening ..otherwise it was always Vinay kumar and PK opening for B'lore

jusarrived said:
you havent seen McGlashan ?

Styris is decent ...Oram if in form , we know what hes capable of ..Nathan McCullum is good hitter ...Mills & franklin can be dangerous as well ...vettori ? they bat very deep dude
McGlashan's unconventional and can be dealt with I think. Oram is out of form but ofcourse you are right, if he's in form he can be as destructive as any. I dont think N. McCullum is a big hitter. The couple of times I've seen him bat against Australia, he seemed pretty limited as a batsman.

Styris and Oram would have to step up big time for them to pose any sort of trouble to teams like India/SAF/SL.

invincible said:
Wanted to know a few things about South Africa from the fans ...

1) Why isn't Parnell batting up the order? He is a class allrounder with much better hitting capabilities than Van Der Merwe ... isn't he?

2) Why do you think South Africa are either red hot or stone cold? No middle ground for them on many occasions, not just today!
1. Parnell is is still a kid i.e. 19 years old. He was captain of the u19 year old team international that did well and a recognised all rounder, but it will take him a while to move up the order. Van der Merwe is already a recognised T20 all-rounder at domestic level. Basically I think he had some of the best results for a bowler-batsmen. He is a real slogger. I haven't really seen Parnell bat yet except at u19.

2. Some ppl call it "choking"? Proteas are one of the best sides at performing, but I guess some days things just don't work out. I am still confident in my team i.e. that today the batsmen might not have performed, but the bowlers will. It takes just an over ot two in a game and things can change. Dunno if that makes sense. It is probably the beauty of sport. You stick with your team ... when they are red hot and stone cold ... and believe in them. ;-)

JustAnotherFan said:
Anyone wanna take a bet here ... NZ won't win this game? :13:

Id still take it, cannot discount NZ with Taylor and McCullum at the crease.

Taylor seems to have done his hamstring. The cold weather is having its toll on many players!

jusarrived said:
in T20s ? no way

Kiwis top order was poor in both warm up games v India and Aussies. yes on paper they have top quality T20 players but they havent fired yet in tourney.

New zealand 71/2 after 11 overs

58 needed off 48 balls.

54 needed off 42 now... Kiwis need one big over here.

I don't see the big deal about Roelof. Seems like an average spinner to me, and did nothing with the bat.

JustAnotherFan said:
Last resort for a breakthrough?

yeah , i guess..but Botha wud have forced them to go for big hits , with steyn they can get singles pretty easily

JustAnotherFan said:
It is also cold back home in RSA. :))
I meant it for all nations in the sense that you have to keep stretching and going through different motions or you could injure yourself!

Zahid87 said:
I don't see the big deal about Roelof. Seems like an average spinner to me, and did nothing with the bat.

not easy to score off him , not test class ..but very good for this format

jusarrived said:
not easy to score off him , not test class ..but very good for this format

I think better players of spin like India and SL will find him nothing to worry about.

Taylor gone slog sweep and misses! Clean bowled.

82/3

Oram in almost chips 1st ball to fielder... lucky gets a single!

Just 2 runs from the over and a wicket.

46 needed off 30 balls.

Zahid87 said:
I guess you have never seen him bat when he does bat well.

Kiwis 89/3 after 16 overs.

40 needed off 24 balls.

JustAnotherFan said:
I guess you have never seen him bat when he does bat well.

Nah today is my first real look at him. Did look a bit clueless with the bat today though. Must be out of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back