South Africa versus India - Second test (Day 5)

Khalil

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Game under way in dark gloomy conditions.

S.A must attack at all costs

Overcast conditions should suite Polly and Ntini

yeah bowl them out in 40 overs because this is what seem posible at the moment.

Sachin out to a beauty of Ntini

S.A now marching towards victory

DAmn it havent seen the replay but I am pretty sure from the commentary he ws out..

From what I've heard, India only have to play out maybe half a day inroder to salvage this and the rain/light should do the rest. With Jaffer/Laxman/Ganguly/Dhoni available they SHOULD be able to see this home. Actually getting it done is a matter matter though.

Hawk eye showed ball would have clipped bails just marginally. Not convincing to me, but maybe I am bit bias :)

Jaffer gone. Ntini strikes again

India 45 for 4

Ok guys game over for us,, 1-1 maybe India can hope for a draw next test. Pakistan take note of all that is happening in this India tour of SA and hopefully learn from it.....

purplehaze said:
Hawk eye showed ball would have clipped bails just marginally. Not convincing to me, but maybe I am bit bias :)

bias. Because there were many SA batsman out lbw when the ball just clipped the stump.

Now for Ganguly to make a semi-decent score which is ultimately futile and his supporters pointing to Tendulkar's duck to justify Ganguly's eternal exclusion.

What, a guy can dream can't he?

Ntini has all 4 wickets so far...how many can he get!

Symcox feels India/ SA wouldn't get more than 90 mins. today. Clouds getting thicker it seems.

Ntini is always dangerous in overcast conditions

Romali_rotti said:
Ok guys game over for us,, 1-1 maybe India can hope for a draw next test. Pakistan take note of all that is happening in this India tour of SA and hopefully learn from it.....

... we still have Laxman and clouds with us ;-)

purplehaze said:
... we still have Laxman and clouds with us ;-)
I'd put my bet on the clouds. And I'm not even trying to insult Laxman, he's the man for this type of thing......the chance of rain is just too high.

From CricInfo:

16.4 Pollock to Laxman, no run, on the stumps defended away. Both the batsmen are yet to complain about light to the umpires. If Javed Miandad was there, surely, he would have acted blind!

It's very gloomy out there. Rain expected in 2 hours time

Haha, now its been changed to:

16.4 Pollock to Laxman, no run, on the stumps defended away. Both the batsmen are yet to complain about light to the umpires. If Javed Miandad was there, surely, he would have acted as if it was pitch dark! You got to be street smart!

Umpires checking light and India off the field.

Yay, finally Weather God seems to be an Indian ...

Lights have been offered and batsmen have accepted

Rain expected in Durban for the next 2 days.

The rain gods may have saved India

Khalil said:
Rain expected in Durban for the next 2 days.

The rain gods may have saved India

You can't give all credit to Rain Gods if India bails out. This was always on cards that's why I felt, as mentioned previous days as well, after 275 lead Smith should have declared.

A hollow result in the end. the whole game was plagued by incorrect decisions, and the failure of both sides of pushing the initiative through. eventually though, south africa did come back into the game, and though the score is still probably 1-0 in the favor of india, its a moral victory for south africa.

advantage south africa. if however, india want to walk away from this series with undisputed claim to victory, they must win the next game, or atleast draw it from a strong position.

good game all. would really have been interesting if on the first day the proteans had not taken the light and india had managed to get the last two wickets. i think that was the decisive moment. for when they returned the next morning, south africa hijacked the game only to watch it slip out of their hands due to some decisions they brought upon themselves.

Weather Gods save lucky India

For the benefit of those who havent seen the game, Tendulkar was indeed out squatting

Now it started raining ....

I suppose it's the end of the game as the rain is expected to continue for the next 2 days

Discussion over Sachin dismissal on. Symcox earlier called it tough one and now Donald feels that it was "unfortunate". Everyone feel the
follow-up stance (i.e. he squatted) after ball hit his pad made decision look different.

well it was definitely hitting the stumps. Not as plumb as it looked to the naked eye but it was out.

Hash said:
well it was definitely hitting the stumps. Not as plumb as it looked to the naked eye but it was out.

Definitely .. how can you say so?

It was those kind of decision which could have gone either way and other side could only have wished it had gone there way (considering there already have been a harsh decision earlier in inning).

Hawk eye surely suggested ball to be hitting bails, but then Gavaskar passed pretty interesting comment that if Hawk-eye would be allowed officially, most of the test matches would get over in 3 days.

Maybe he was indeed out, but bit of luck he could have got benefit of doubt. Anyways, let's move on ...

Last edited:
I think you need to take your Indian tinted specs off.

Watch the highlights when they show the replay. It was out, nothing else to it.

Rain stopped and the light has cleared

Play to start again in the next few minutes

The rain gods are playing games with the players

or maybe they want to destroy the Indians

Like Longfellow wrote "Whom the Gods would destroy they first make mad"

Play has re-started Ntini bowling to ganguly.

who edges ball past his stumps for 4.

Play started and Ganguly edges over sl;ip off Ntini

Ntini giving Gangs a rough time

As a neutral cricket spectator, I feel that it will be poetic justice if South Africa don't win this test. For sure, India never deserved to win this game, but in my view, South Africa doesn't deserve to win this game either simply because of the following two major reasons:

1) India has got the very worst of batting & bowling conditions in this match. I believe that the pretty useless South African batting lineup would have played even worse in the overhead conditions that India has played under. All in all, the toss was way too much of an advantage in this specific game.
2) Horrendous umpiring errors all around, with India facing the brunt of it mainly due to umpiring errors against Dravid, who on recent performances must rank as probably the best batsman in the two sides combined. Rahul Dravid averages well above 60 abroad, which must rank as one of the highest all-time averages for any batsman playing away from home for a decent length of time. You can count on him to deliver in any situation against all kinds of opposition. To give such a batsman out incorrectly twice in a match is just utter travesty of justice. Just imagine how many runs and time the umpires just gifted to the Saffies by sending Dravid back to the pavilion in both the innings. It's these kind of pathetic umpiring errors that make people clamor for more involvement of technology in umpiring.

Anyways, I don't care personally what today's eventual result turns out to be, but South Africa doesn't really deserve to win this test match. If they indeed want to be worthy winners, then they should try to win in fair and balanced circumstances in Cape Town. I also hope that the level of umpiring in the next test isn't as ludicrously poor as it was in this match.

Last edited:
ohioguy24us said:
As a neutral cricket spectator, I feel that it will be poetic justice if South Africa don't win this test. For sure, India never deserved to win this game, but in my view, South Africa doesn't deserve to win this game either simply because of the following two major reasons:

1) India has got the very worst of batting & bowling conditions in this match. I believe that the pretty useless South African batting lineup would have played even worse in the overhead conditions that India has played under. All in all, the toss was way too much of an advantage in this specific game.
2) Horrendous umpiring errors all around, with India facing the brunt of it more a bit more than SA. Rahul Dravid averages well above 60 abroad, which must rank as one of the highest all-time averages for any batsman playing away from home for a decent length of time. You can count on him to deliver in any situation against all kinds of opposition. To give such a batsman out incorrectly twice in a match is just utter travesty of justice. Just imagine how many runs and time the umpires just gifted to the Saffies by sending Dravid back to the pavilion in both the innings. It's these kind of pathetic umpiring errors that make people clamor for more involvement of technology in umpiring.

Anyways, I don't care personally what today's eventual result turns out to be, but South Africa doesn't really deserve to win this test match. If they indeed want to be worthy winners, then they should try to win in fair and balanced circumstances in Cape Town. I also hope that the level of umpiring in the next test isn't as ludicrously poor as it was in this match.

india have had a number of decisions go their way ... umpiring has been bad ... but not biased.

and let the time wasting begin ...

"South Africa are all over India here. Big chatter behind the stumps. Dhoni is taking his time to take guard. Trying to eat up as much time as he can, also would help him in getting used to the conditions. He goes for some gardening down the pitch"

VVS gone gets a skidder from NEL.

clean bowled.

India 85/6

Dhoni can just play his natural game now, theres no way india can draw by defending, there only chance is to play shots and put Saffies under pressure!

Rana said:
Dhoni can just play his natural game now, theres no way india can draw by defending, there only chance is to play shots and put Saffies under pressure!

only the rain can save them now !

VVS gone..

Btw, can't believe the bias of SAF commentators. They are seriously talking a load of crap here, especially Richards.

Amjid Javed said:
VVS gone gets a skidder from NEL.

clean bowled.

India 85/6

Now, it should be all over in a hurry barring any weather interruptions! All to play for in Cape Town now.

Intresting if S.A win this test and the next one.

Not many sides have won 2-1 after being 1-0 down in a 3 match test series.

Off top of my head i can only remember 4 occasions where this has happened.

Zim v Pak, S.A v N.Z, Ind v Aus and Sri Lanka v Eng.

India 88/6 - kumble and dhoni men in the middle.

S.A commentators really spoiling the game with over-bias!

This is were RSA miss Donald, someone who can just walk through the tail!

S.A 159/7 - Dhoni and Z khan digging here.

Dhoni is on 47*

Dhoni gone in last over before tea he slashes at a wide ball from nel and boucher takes a blinder.

160/8

what a stupid shot from Dhoni, the captain and coach should have a word in the prats ear!

Dhoni gone. Series levelled.

It would be an interesting 3rd test. Let's hope to have an exciting game of cricket.

Sehwag and VRV shuld be replaced with Gambhir/ Munaf respectively.

Last edited:
sreesanth new man in, all but over here for india!

Brilliant stuff.

Shows the Indians not to be too cocky and ahead of themselves after two days of good cricket in the first test.

bladerunner said:
how is the weather? will there be play after tea ?

suns out and wicket has eased out but india have just 2 wickets left.

Hash said:
Brilliant stuff.

Shows the Indians not to be too cocky and ahead of themselves after two days of good cricket in the first test.

Damn Dhoni ... made you wait so long :eek:)

Dhoni gone............SA should win this easily now...........only rain and bad light can save India now.......what a poor batting performance, chucked it away just like Melbourne 03.

Did anyone catch what that guy and woman were saying the studio when they were reviewing 2006 as a year? I couldn't hear their voice for some reason.

purplehaze said:
Damn Dhoni ... made you wait so long :eek:)

I was quite enjoying it actually......delaying the inevitable

Plenty of verbals flying around.

Indian batsmebn talking to umpires about the light. Smith, boucher and few others mouthing off!

commentators talking **** as well!

Back