South Africa vs India | 2nd test | Ahmedabad | 3/4/2008 to 7/4/2008

saffer

First Class Star
Runs
Well looks like India got their way . Prepared a flat pitch and won the toss and are batting first. I'll be honest and say that doesn't fill me with hope for an S.A win , but that all depends on how much the wicket crumbles . I imagine the groundsmen won't be trying too hard to keep it rolled down.

Pitch: Alright, the experts have given their verdict. The pitch does have a sprinkling of grass, but overall, the surface appears really hard and looks fairly good for batting. The grass is a good sign and the pitch certainly looks more sporting than the one in Chennai.

The pundits reckon it's a good wicket and too much is made of how it will help the fast bowlers . Maybe the first hour they reckon .

cricinfo :

Toss: Anil Kumble has won the toss and India will bat first. It could be a bit of gamble, facing Steyn and Gang on this first-day pitch which is likely to give maximum assistance to the seamers now

the SA bowlers will get the best of condidtions ,lest see how they do now after all the complainaing about flat pitch in chennai

the SA bowlers will get the best of condidtions ,lest see how they do now after all the complainaing about flat pitch in chennai

If the pitch is indeed sporting for the fast bowlers then of course as always we will see india out for about 200-250 against south africa. Nothing surprising there .But likely it's just as flat as the last one.

saffer said:
If the pitch is indeed sporting for the fast bowlers then of course as always we will see india out for about 200-250 against south africa. Nothing surprising there .But likely it's just as flat as the last one.

& SA bowled out around 80-85 ...nuthing surprising there aswell!

& SA bowled out around 80-85 ...nuthing surprising there aswell!

Can someone explain to india how it works ? They don't seem to understand that winning one match does not mean you won the series . In this specific case you had your bums handed to you ..you know ? the same way australia recently wipped you ? . anyway...that's always the case for india against south africa . Ho-hum . Maybe now that you won the toss first on a turner you might (miiiiiight) stand a slight (tiny) chance .

Last edited:
saffer said:
Can someone explain to india how it works ? They don't seem to understand that winning one match does not mean you won the series . In this specific case you had your bums handed to you ..you know ? the same way australia recently wipped you ? . anyway...that's always the case for india against south africa . Ho-hum . Maybe now that you won the toss first on a turner you might (miiiiiight) stand a slight (tiny) chance .
No he is talking about how SA choke on green pitches, for examples 20/20 match :)) (they had no idea what was coming from RP singh)

we're taking this one, hopefully it'll start turning square from day 1!

No he is talking about how SA choke on green pitches, for examples 20/20 match (they had no idea what was coming from RP singh)

I have no idea . I don't watch 20/20 . There's too much luck involved and not enough skill . It bores me .

saffer said:

Yep :)) :)) This will be the Indian version of a "sporting pitch".

Random Aussie said:
Yep :)) :)) This will be the Indian version of a "sporting pitch".

At least they left some grass on the pitch and played an extra seam bowler.

Pitch has a bit of grass on it so the 1st session will be very interesting.

I'll believe it when I see it . A little grass with no bounce and pace means nothing. If it does S.A have a good chance of picking up 1 or 2 early wickets . Else it could be a long day out there .

saffer said:

one match ? we havent lost a match on a bowler friendly pitch for couple of years now & comparing SA batsmen to us is an insult to our batsmen ... frankly you have a good ODI side , probably the best in the wiorld now ...but your test team is a very ordinary one , you like it or not its a fact !!

Siva - Introduces Arun Lal and Rameez as "two lovely commentators". :))

Steyn will be the hero in this match.

Go Steyn Go.

I know you can do it.

dale steyn looks like bear grylls .. LoL !

It has seamed a little bit so far . Promising signs for S.A . India will do well to survive the first 20 over without loss .

& comparing SA batsmen to us is an insult to our batsmen ...

i have seen the kinds of pitches your guys bat on....just last week....anyone could average 50 on that...their averages are an insult to players from S.a who have to contend difficult wickets all the time..

jusarrived said:
not playing bangladesh here . ;-)

When did I say they are playing Bangladesh here?

They are playing against world's best team. One of the best batting side as well.

Murad said:
Arrived?

What do you mean?

They weren't there before?

Arrived :- to attain a position of success, power, achievement, fame, or the like:

eg - After years of hard work, she has finally arrived in her field.

man these guys wasting the new ball .. they got no idea how to bowl to sehwag.

just bowl a good line and length .. the pitch is good.

Well, Sehwag is a very good batsman.

When he's in good form, no bowler can stop him. Thats the good thing about him.

But when he's out of form, any bowler can get his wicket.

Murad said:
When did I say they are playing Bangladesh here?

They are playing against world's best team. One of the best batting side as well.

your tone seems to have changed today ? or is it sarcasam ?

Time for Dravid to stand up (again). We dont have much batting today.

Murad said:
Well, Sehwag is a very good batsman.

When he's in good form, no bowler can stop him. Thats the good thing about him.

But when he's out of form, any bowler can get his wicket.

well he's only in good form on flat tracks ... :21:

Random Aussie said:

"With the drawcard of the two best teams in the world playing in a perfect time zone for viewing in Australia, we anticipate the Indian cricket tour will generate unprecedented audience interest," Mr Sinclair said. (Talking about Aus-Ind tour later this year).

Steyn bowls sehwag.

Pitch has a bit of movement and india look useless . Same old story .

haha just as i said...

steyn will be the hero today...

and yes hes not playing bangladesh here. :)

PlanetPakistan said:
why? who would you rather see?

hes easily one of the worst openers to have played for india ...jaffer defines FTB IMO ....we need a steady opener who can support shewag at the other end !!

jusarrived said:
hes easily one of the worst openers to have played for india ...jaffer defines FTB IMO ....we need a steady opener who can support shewag at the other end !!
One name: GG
Guatram Gambhir

One more wicket and without tendulkar india will be in trouble . Pitch could flatten out pretty quick though .

300-350 shud be a good score here...am sure we can get more than that though !!

There is no way india are as good as south africa. I don't know why I even have to say that...it should be obvious ....we just beat india last year !

Sadly for steyn this ball doesn't swing like the kookaburra....this is more ntini and morkel's kind of wicket.

saffer said:
There is no way india are as good as south africa. I don't know why I even have to say that...it should be obvious ....we just beat india last year !
India got knocked out of World Cup Last year too

Dravid going along at his usual strike rate of 16.67

Any links where you watch this on the net?

steyn continues to be way off target.

he really reminds me of gul

a lot of bad deliveries than one really great ball out of nowhere.

and as a type laxman gone.

Laxman out !

What a beauty from ntini .

Why you so quiet India ? Where is that arrogance now ? I have some news for you guys...this wicket isn't even close to what I'd call a fast bowler friendly wicket . What a bunch of never-wasses this "master" team of yours is .

I thought the Indian batsman were going to smash the Saffers.....

Edit: I see Saffer got in before me :D

Last edited:
steyn continues to be way off target.

he really reminds me of gul

a lot of bad deliveries than one really great ball out of nowhere.

and as a type laxman gone.

He's not getting any swing with this ball...it's different from the kookaburra which he is so lethal with . Like I said this will suit ntini and morkel far more .

saffer relax, i m sure india will still take lead even india got bowled for 50. only if pitch stays like this!

S.A need one more wicket to drive home the advantage . They still have to bat last so anything over 350 by india will hurt them ...

saffer said:

India defeated Australia by 2-1 in test series in 2001, means India were better then Aus in test during those days? no..

Saf defeated India.. so what.. overalll they didn't perform that well. hence their rating is less then that of India.. why don't u get that thing

surely Saf is on top here, 4 wickets down for mere 30.. congrats on that

saffer said:
Why you so quiet India ?

They are just tired........ they have been laughing and poking fun at Shoaib for last 2 days - nonstop!

The ball is moving a tiny bit and making it so obvious what we all know..indian batsmen are flat track bullies...

They should all have their averages reduced by 10 runs AT LEAST to give their true worth .

Last edited:
Back