South Africa vs Pakistan | 1st ODI | 19 Jan, 2019 | Port Elizabeth | South Africa innings Thread

Olivier is the only threat, at psychologically.

ODI should free our batsmen a bit mentally against him as they will try to attack him more than in tests, successfully or not is another matter.

If Fakhar gets a flying start, we will win it easily. Otherwise we will struggle.

Last edited:
If 50/3 we are done

Agreed. I have said earlier as well that Fakhar, Imam and Babar, atleast one of them need to play a big or decent enough knock. When your top 3 dont score no chase is easy, even if its 150.

ODI should free our batsmen a bit mentally against him as they will try to attack him more than in tests, successfully or not is another matter.

Fwiw, all the batsmen that attached him made runs (Babar, Shan, and Asad). For the betterment of Pakistan cricket I hope he comes to bowl when either Malik or hafeez are batting.

you can't pace your innings if the pitch is a tricky one to bat on.... if he wasn't able to hit the gaps then that should tell you something.

if that isn't indication enough then what is? your ipl rockstar miller was struggling to time the ball.

if it wasn't for this innings south africa may have been 200 or less all out.

and dhoni won you the match, pretty sure jadav and vijay shankar would not have been able to do it on their own without dhonis experience and expertise on the other side

Give me one reason why you cal lthis is a "tricky pitch". No reverse. No prodigious turn. No uneven bounce. Even the noob as the time went on was able to put the bad balls away. He didn't hit fours for like 25 overs. Teams would lose more wickets on such pitches. Not just 2 wickets.

This is the same score New Zealand scored against us in the 1st ODI in UAE and we somehow managed to lose that match.

Lost by 40 odd runs but this line up has an additional batsman compared to that one. I think we should be able to get this.

Fwiw, all the batsmen that attached him made runs (Babar, Shan, and Asad). For the betterment of Pakistan cricket I hope he comes to bowl when either Malik or hafeez are batting.

World cup is like just months away, I dont think Hafeez, Malik and Sarfaraz as captain are going anywhere so I want them to perform.

But miracles do happen.

Give me one reason why you cal lthis is a "tricky pitch". No reverse. No prodigious turn. No uneven bounce. Even the noob as the time went on was able to put the bad balls away. He didn't hit fours for like 25 overs. Teams would lose more wickets on such pitches. Not just 2 wickets.

it's a slow pitch, it doesn't have a whole lot for the bowlers but enough to make batting somewhat difficult.

amla was the difference between 266 and 190 all out

Okayish bowling performance.

Shinwari and Faheem (aside from the last over) were below par.

Hasan and Shadab were excellent.

Imad and Hafeez's lines were a bit off, but they did okay as the 5th bowler with 10 overs for 60.

It looks a decent pitch.

Tendulkar was picking and choosing series then and had no business of playing insignifact Asia cup. BCCI game him that last series to score that elusive 100 and retire. That game was all about Sachin getting a century than the match result.

When you are stuck on 99 tons for a year, you deserve to be selfish. Also, he wasn’t chasing 370.

A crap 100 is a crap 100. India could have easily won that game if it wasn't for the worst 100 ever. Pakistan had no chance of even getting close to 370. Babar scored a 100 with a SR of 92. Asides from him and Sharjeel no one in that team even had the ability to score a 50 against that Aus bowling attack.

To be honest pitch was a bit slow but nowhere as difficult as Amla and debutant made it out to be.

I want Pakistan to win just to look at selfish Amla. Still can't digest such a selfish knock.

Fakahr and babar are the keys,not expecting 20 plus scores from others.

Having watched the test games, there is no position of strength that Pakistan will not fritter away. The only thing I can say is whoever gets a start has to finish th job, don’t rely on the next guy.

so if pakistan doesn't implode, you want me to admit i was wrong, correct?

You were talking about Tahir.

Your exact statement: "tahir is going to make a mockery of our already joke of a batting line up"

You also said something like Pak will be 39/4 but I will give you leverage on that.

it's a slow pitch, it doesn't have a whole lot for the bowlers but enough to make batting somewhat difficult.

amla was the difference between 266 and 190 all out

It cannot be a slow pitch just for one batsman. It didn't take long for Miller to get going. Van dessen also started scoring quicker as the game went on. He was striking at over 130 after 2nd drinks break. Amla barely crossed 100.

The top teams don’t respect us anymore and don’t take us seriously. South Africa would not have treated this innings like net practice if they were up against India or England.

What a ridiculous excuse from someone who is always keen to prove that Pakistan cricket team is the worst thing to happen to the international cricket.

You really think Faheem tailenender can bat?

To be honest we always put Shadab and Faheem in a position like needing 100 from 60 balls. Needing 30 Odd from 20 odd will be more of a genuine test for their position. Not sure if they will pass it or not but we should lower our expectations of them scoring 100s or 50s coming at no 6, 7 to win matches,

Not condident we will win but we need a few batsman who willbat through the innings like Babar if we have any kind of chance

You were talking about Tahir.

Your exact statement: "tahir is going to make a mockery of our already joke of a batting line up"

You also said something like Pak will be 39/4 but I will give you leverage on that.

Better to ignore him. He's just another Mamoon.

i hope you mean shaheen afridi because comparing faheem to shahid afridi is an insult even to shahid afridi

6 and out is pretty much what adridi did in 200 of 300 something games he played. Worthless cricketers that play 15 years will see a few blue moon performances.

It cannot be a slow pitch just for one batsman. It didn't take long for Miller to get going. Van dessen also started scoring quicker as the game went on. He was striking at over 130 after 2nd drinks break. Amla barely crossed 100.

miller didn't get going and neither did dussen.. those 2 sixes were the only shots of intent he took.

amla doesn't have the ability to do that.

prepare yourself to digest the horror that is to come which is pakistani batting.

We all have been digesting it for some time. It wouldnt be surprising, chasing 250+ for a change would be a nice pleasant surprise

6 and out is pretty much what adridi did in 200 of 300 something games he played. Worthless cricketers that play 15 years will see a few blue moon performances.

i agree but he was good to watch in those blue moon performances

miller didn't get going and neither did dussen.. those 2 sixes were the only shots of intent he took.

amla doesn't have the ability to do that.

If you don't have the ability you should just get out. Not poke around in the slog. Anyway longer he bats is good for the opposition.

If you don't have the ability you should just get out. Not poke around in the slog. Anyway longer he bats is good for the opposition.

if he did get out then it wouldn't have been easy for the next batsmen coming in.

amla needed to ensure he batted through

Pakistan bowlers took very few wickets in Asia cup..
Iirc 3 wkts against India in 2 games and now 2 wickets in 50 overs. That's not good

I Don't understand why Faheem doesn't bowl little full with the new ball. Whenever he bowls fuller with the new or semi new ball he looks threatening. Very surprising and frustrating.

And what's happened to Usman? He looked so deadly with that seam position in SL series in 2017, had the bite and was looking to pick wickets in every over. But since his comeback from injury, despite bowling with pace he has lost that ability to float the ball in air and is looking ordinary. Poor job by bowling coach I have to say.

Junaid, Rumman, Sadaf all should have been in the squad.

I think bowlers have done a fabulous job - absolutely no excuse today.

Back