Sri Lanka v India | 2nd Test | Colombo | 26-30 July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randiv to Sehwag, OUT, 83.9 kph, And there you go. Sehwag went for the six and has lost his wicket. The fatal temptation. He rushed down the track and swung to the on side but made no contact. It wasn't as full as he thought and in panic, he tried to drag it too far across the line and missed it completely. The ball did turn in but not as much. Stumped!
That's probably the most exciting bit of cricket in this whole "Test" match, so far!

Vijay goes :D

Mendis to Vijay, OUT, 80.6 kph, Done in by the googly! Sri Lanka on the attack here. They have bowled well for a while now. They have created chances and now getting the wickets. This one broke back in and Vijay went back and stabbed outside the line. Dead plumb. The googly has worked. Mendis smiles. His team-mates mob him.

Laxman gone. India lose another wicket right before the end of a session.

You sure know how to get that post-count up!...lol, just kidding.

Seems like a pale draw in the making, unless its brain-fart time tommorow by the Indians!

^^haha lol - yeah but bowlers dont recieve a standing ovation for reaching triple-figures.

ton no. 48 for sachin ..well played.....u contributed so much for randiv to complete his century as well ....

94 international 100s for Sachin now as game heads towards a bore drawn!

Raina looks like getting a debut hundred as well

Its gonna be a draw - not interested in this anymore (@poisin) you were right buddy.

I think when games get to a poitnless stage like this the umpires/Skippers should be pulled togther to dicuss ending the game early!

What a joke pitch and what a bore!

Maybe someone should dig up the Pitch at Tea time or overnight :)

Jarrod Kimber (of Cricket With Balls fame) has this to say about the current test match:
http://cricdude.com/blog/details/1491_Make the ball move
Last week I spent my time in Headingley. It was one of the best test matches I’ve ever been to. It started with a monumental collapse. Then the Pakistan attack when batting. Then a bowling comedian took a quick 6 for. Only for Australia to fight back into the game lead by their youngest player and dashing batting. And the whole game finished as Pakistan seemed to do everything in their power to lose it.

It lasted 3 days, 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Other than the Yorkshire board, no one felt cheated.

It was one of the closest fought test matches I’ve ever been at. At times the cricket was proper good. Asif and Aamer’s bowling and Smith’s batting. At other times it was just embarrassing. Amin and Watson getting wickets. At all times it was entertaining. The ball swung, seamed, spun, and batsmen who weren’t giving their wickets away or being found out technique wise were able to score pretty quickly.

That it lasted just over 3 days doesn’t mean there was anything wrong with the wicket, actually, it means the opposite. Here was a pitch that batsman couldn’t bully on. Bowlers were always in the game, had the batsman had the technique to combat a pitch like this, it could have easily gone into the 5th day.

It didn’t, because of pitches like this one at the SSC.

8 wickets in the first 3 days of that test. Even if this test gets a result, this is not a good test. It is a terrible test. If the pitch eventually crumbles, the bowlers will be back in the game, but we will still had to have sit through 3 days of pointless stat collecting by batsmen.

I want Kumar and Sehwag to make big runs, but I want them to do it when the bowlers have a chance against them. Like Kumar’s brilliant 192 against Australia when no one else made a hundred, or Sehwag’s one man show against Sri Lanka when he made 201* out of a total of 329. Those were innings when champion batsmen overcame something, which makes them more special.

Runs on pitches like this SSC one mean very little. The bowlers are not in the game; they are hardly required at all. New ball bowlers come on and get smashed, spin bowlers come on and do everything they cannot to be smashed. Wickets come from luck and lapses in concentration. It isn’t a fair fight. And it makes the tests bloody dull.

These test pitches are all over the world now. They are 70% to 80% of all test wickets. Every country in the world will put out wickets like this, and so when you end up in Headingley, batsmen have no idea. Headingley had swing, but not all the time, it had seam, but very little of it, and it spun, but slowly. Yet both teams made this wicket look unplayable at times. Only because they don’t play on wickets like this very often.

If you play on wickets where you could make runs batting with a rolled up newspaper, how will you react to a pitch that gives the bowlers assistance?

So here are my thoughts, if you are running cricket in a test-playing nation (not a major one, but someone like WI, NZ or SL) you have just received the ICC memo to make pitches that help bowlers more.

Use that memo as an excuse to make sure all your wickets seam or spin violently. Be prepared to even lose a few test series as your batsmen get used to it. But, after a while, your batsmen will be the only ones who do. They will be playing half the time on wickets that help bowlers, meaning that their techniques will tighten, and they will become better players. You will also bring the crowds in. In test cricket, crowds like wickets, not runs. Short tests with plenty of wickets will have people coming back to cricket. You will also win most of your series at home. Meaning your ICC ranking will go up, and people will start to talk about you more. That means the bigger test nations will want to play you more often in bigger tours. When you do play away, your batsmen will ready for any kind of pitches, and your bowlers will have the confidence of test wickets behind them.

All that is required is pitches helpful to bowlers. Nothing more. The rest will take care of itself. There is no point having a test that last 5 days if everyone is snoring by day 3. Get those pitches seaming and spinning. Give the bowlers a chance, and make the batsmen work for it.

Once the batsmen start getting embarrassed again, you know you are on the right track.
He has a slightly more PG-rated take on things on his own blog:http://tinyurl.com/23989sn

Can there be a 10 year ban put on place on the SSC? The ban should only come off when runway 54 is replaced with a sporting pitch. :pissed:

Lols at the sour grape posters who were having fun when SL were piling up the runs and have suddenly become "lovers and custodians of the game and pitches" when India returns the favor.

Lols at the sour grape posters who were having fun when SL were piling up the runs and have suddenly become "lovers and custodians of the game and pitches" when India returns the favor.
Not really. I still maintain that the bowling attacks of both teams is beyond pathetic and the batsmen on either side are having a free ride at the moment

Travesty of a pitch!! Pathetic cricket..amazing that fatman raina has actually got past twenty!!

Have they not called this Farce off yet? Boring zzzzzzz!

India have to do something, aise to kaam naheen banega...declare now and try to dismiss the 'Lions'

Who says there isn't a balance between bat and ball?

7 bowlers have scored 100+ while only 5 batsmen have reached triple figures.

If anything, it's in favor of the bowlers. :14::14::13:

pata naheen, commentators ney bola tha...must be his wife then...they said her name is Roshni.

Check this out ,,just read there in commentary on cricinfo

"Randiv to Dhoni, FOUR, Randiv says "HIT ME" and Dhoni says "Well, of course!". Short and turning down the leg, Dhoni waits and cross-bats it through midwicket, along the ground for four more."

sachin scores a double ...

this track is not helping bowlers either...at start i though that our bowlers are all crap..but now i can atelast say sri lnaknas are not far either..

and also its double century for suraj randiv as well on debut...bad pitch and condtions to start your cricket journey..it might not do word of good for the bowlers to start here on thsi flat deck..

Makes you wonder how the hell Murali took wickets lol.

Makes you wonder how the hell Murali took wickets lol.

^^^^ murli is a gem of bowler ......as said by everyone he can turn the ball even on glass speaks for his bowling qualities..

even on this wicket he might or might not have got the wikets but certainly he could have kept it tight so that others can look for something and build up some pressure

So SL will take 1-0 lead into final test wonder if another pancake dead wicket will be produced!

Shame Sachin couldn`t go on and get close to scoring a triple-ton - his first - but a marvellous knock regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back