Sri Lanka vs India | 3rd ODI | Colombo (RPS) | 24/08/2008

Pathan dropped for Gambhir, not bad. They are missign a 4th bowler now. They have 4 proper bowlers and no allrounders. Who are they going to fill the gaps with? they dont even have sehwag

Teams:

India: 1 Gautam Gambhir, 2 Virat Kohli, 3 Suresh Raina, 4 Yuvraj Singh, 5 Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt & wk), 6 Rohit Sharma 7 S Badrinath, 8 Praveen Kumar, 9 Harbhajan Singh, 10 Zaheer Khan, 11 Munaf Patel.

Sri Lanka: 1 Sanath Jayasuriya, 2 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 3 Mahela Jayawardene (capt), 4 Chamara Silva, 5 Chamara Kapugedera, 6 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 7 Chaminda Vaas, 8 Nuwan Kulasekara, 9 Thilan Thushara, 10 Ajantha Mendis, 11 Muttiah Muralitharan.

Weather and crowd:

The weather according to Jamie Alter, our man at the venue, is hot and there isn't rain in sight at the moment. The stadium is filling up and there's the usual drum-bugle atmosphere. The queues are stretching for miles outside so, if you're in the vicinity, you better hurry to make it for the start. Or you could just follow the game here.

The pitch:

The pitch appears better for batting than the Dambulla strip but the experts say that it might get slower and lower as the match progresses. Batting first could be the way to go.

Gambhir needs to fire. If not, India will be in trouble. I have no hope what so ever from Yuvraj.

Feedback (to cricinfo commentary) from a fan:

"How many failures more does Rohit Sharma need prior to being dropped . Even a cat will envy the number of lives ( chances ) he is getting," emails Subramanian.

India off to a bit of a brisk start ...

Last edited:
Good start from India, they seem to be working into some better form in general now.

Will Darth Mendis nail them again today? :batman:

Yes they are playing sensibly. Also have had some luck.
They will need a big score too because they are short on bowlers.

They got away with two inaccurate throws but they do it one time too many. Kohli gone!

Gambhir LBW of Kulasekara, good start for SL
40/2 in 10ovrs

Last edited:
Gambhir having a miserable time lately (after a brilliant first half of Test series).

Cheating Lankan Umpire had his fingers up before the appeal was even at flow, somehow I dont see this cheat giving the same decision for us :D...

yeah momo true. he hasn't performed well in these 3 odis.
and as we all know india's middle order is totally out of touch. and india were actually looking good with kohli and gambhir... expected around 80-90 runs for the first wicket actually

anyways india don't have a good batting lineup today...
yuvraj and raina at the crease, dhoni, badrinath, sharma left... irfan pathan dropped. he would've helped out in the last few overs. so basically india are not in a good stage.
and im surprised to see sharma so low down the order when i've seen him make good scores at 3rd or 4th

for those of you wondering why yuvi has come third, its cause he wants to play the fast bowlers and make a good score before getting out... otherwise if he comes fifth or sixth as usual at that time mendis will be bowling, and we all know how much trouble mendis can give him

natalia said:
anyways india don't have a good batting lineup today...
yuvraj and raina at the crease, dhoni, badrinath, sharma left... irfan pathan dropped. he would've helped out in the last few overs. so basically india are not in a good stage.
and im surprised to see sharma so low down the order when i've seen him make good scores at 3rd or 4th

More than that, they have weakened their bowling by playing too many batsmen. They will need a big score to defend because of that fact.

Romali_rotti said:
Cheating Lankan Umpire had his fingers up before the appeal was even at flow, somehow I dont see this cheat giving the same decision for us :D...

Come on Romali, it was plumb. :)
Yes it may have pitched slightly outside leg but then again we don't have a referral system to remove those little doubts.

What a pity we won't be able to watch UV vs Mendis.
UV gone to a fasty.

YUVRAJ OUT AT 12! the game is almost all sri lanka's now, unless dhoni, raina and badrinath create good scores. sharma is a person who would come in by the time when mendis is bowling and surely he's go in a few deliveries. kulasekara has been impressive

62/3 in 14ovrs

Romali I told you it's your avatar that is the cause of UV's downfall. :D

thushara starts with a maiden over. india 62/3 in 16ovrs.
badrinath 0 off 6, raina 9 off 15

After missing most of last match, must say was impressed with Kohli today. Was playing in a very assured way. Even Badrinath looks to be very assured, even though he has just blocked some deliveries as yet.

yeah. sri lanka are really stopping the runs here
but im so shocked vaas is bowling the last over of his spell and its only the 19th over. are they planning to use THUSHARA and kulasekara for the last overs of the innings?

^^
Jayawardene is aiming to get a few more wickets so that it doesn't matter who bowls at the death. And in any case, he has Murali and Mendis up his sleeve yet.

Badrinath cracking under pressure. A very poor stroke to get out.

i expect india to be bundled for 220 or 240 max. then sri lanka will win by like 5 or 4 wickets
since india are going slow too, not even 100 made in 25 overs

finally. 100 comes up with a four from dhoni in the 27th over.
106/4 in 27 ovrs, run rate 3.92 :batman:

129/4 in 31 ovrs, raina 42 off 67, dhoni 22 off 26. RR 4.16. mendis brought off because he was expensive, bowled 5 ovrs with 30 runs and 1 wicket. jayasuriya and murali bowling now

india pushing the accelerator a bit.

Yes, quite a recovery from India.
They played Mendis better today. We have an interesting match on our hands now.

yeah. this partnership is gonna be pretty big
i expect india to lose this wicket soon, at around 190-210
most probably raina will go really soon anytime now
dhoni will make a half century too
india will end at 250/7 or 260

Last edited:
RAINA RUN OUT. 53 off 80 balls. 4 fours, 1 six. well played.
jayawardene most probably gonna go in for the kill now. rohit sharma walks in

Momo said:
good prediction natalia. Raina beet gayee hai. LOL

erm, all i understood was the "good prediction" part, im not pakistani, sorry :)

Dhoni has really ****** Raina here. Now he has to score a hundred at least.

150 comes up in 36 overs. india 150/5. sharma 2 off 3. dhoni 30 off 39

natalia said:
erm, all i understood was the "good prediction" part, im not pakistani, sorry :)

Oh. Explanation:
"Raina" means night in urdu/hindi. Was just making a lame joke using that meaning of the word. Not important.

Momo said:
Oh. Explanation:
"Raina" means night in urdu/hindi. Was just making a lame joke using that meaning of the word. Not important.

oh. ok. lol. what do you predict the final score to be?

Tony Greig asks:

Who is the batsmen with the biggest ODI score ?

'Camera then focuses on Dhoni'

Waqar; Cant be Dhoni, he hasnt played enough matches, you have to have opened to have the biggest ODI score. Maybe Kamran Akmal...

Answer comes up: Dhoni 183 against Sri Lanka

Waqar; num for a second and then; Ohh I have got it totally wrong, I thought it was entire match score.. What the hell ????????????????????? :))) :))) ..

Waqar I love you man, you are the greatest commie ever :) ..

Well I am not in the prediction business but let me see - 250?

Romali_rotti said:
Tony Greig asks:

Who is the batsmen with the biggest ODI score ?

'Camera then focuses on Dhoni'

Waqar; Cant be Dhoni, he hasnt played enough matches, you have to have opened to have the biggest ODI score. Maybe Kamran Akmal...

Answer comes up: Dhoni 183 against Sri Lanka

Waqar; num for a second and then; Ohh I have got it totally wrong, I thought it was entire match score.. What the hell ????????????????????? :))) :))) ..

Waqar I love you man, you are the greatest commie ever :) ..

The ultimate legend! :younis

anyways mendis back to have a go at sharma. dhoni looks have he's having back problems.
india 161/5 at 38.2

india JUST 167/5 in 40 overs. even if they do manage like 70-80 runs they'll end with 250. this should be an interesting encounter, not banking too much on sri lanka either

dhoni makes 50 off 64 balls, patient knock, only 4 fours. india are slowly taking over 6 runs an over with just singles and doubles. 189/5 in 43.4

india are 206/5 in 45 ovrs. dhoni 61 off 68, sharma 27 off 29. murali has been expensive... economy of 5.33. mendis has been worse, 6.00. india playing spinners well today.

mendis ends expensive spell with an amazing last over, taking out harbhajan and dhoni. india 229/8 at the start of last over.

hahaha Praveen's running between the wickets is a sight to behold.

natalia said:
mendis ends expensive spell with an amazing last over, taking out harbhajan and dhoni. india 229/8 at the start of last over.

He almost bowled Dhoni earlier with his carrom ball as well. Only God knows how it missed the stump.

LAST BALL, and OUT. thushara ends with 2 wickets. zaheer swings it straight to muralitharan. india end innings at 237/9, a moderate total...
should be an interesting chase ;)

238 to win. Anybody's game. Lanka slightly ahead with India missing one bowler though.

Momo said:
238 to win. Anybody's game. Lanka slightly ahead with India missing one bowler though.
all depends on how much we can strangle Jayasurya in the beginnning. a quick 35-40 from him will take india out of the game.

India does not have a 5th bowler. SL has to go after him (Yuvraj?).

Zaheer once again gets his bunny Sangakara, although Sanga a touch unlucky on that decision...

Sri Lanka reeling at 51/4. India's bowlers has done a good job so far. Dhoni's 76 was crucial for lifting India to 237.

Dilshan gone! Sri Lanka 58/5 and are going down the barrle. India's got this match in the bag.

I love it love it LOVE IT

Dhoni, you're the best man, THE BEST. Terrific batting and terrific catch to get rid of Jaya.

And we own Mendis now, or will soon enough. The magician has been sorted. Without him Lanka are back to doing what they do best, lose to India! :D :)

Was away for an hour and it seems Sassi's (read SL's) Bambore has been vandalized completely.
Arun Lal is having a multiple-orgasm as well.

Back