Super 8 qualification scenarios for Pakistan in ICC T20 World Cup 2024

RehanG

First Class Captain
Runs
Just after one match Pakistan are in danger of getting out of the tournament. It is highly unlikely we will win against India.

So what will Pak need to do to qualify.

Ireland and India to beat USA

Pak to beat Ireland & Canada

India to beat all remaining, then all comes down to NRR. Only positive from today is that NRR is 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can make a wager.

Pakistan will not win any match they are batting first in this tournament.
Obviously, me and @Rana Have been saying this since 2 months now lol

The batters don't know how to structure and set a target and the bowlers are too pedestrian

Just after one match Pakistan are in danger of getting out of the tournament. It is highly unlikely we will win against India. So what will Pak need to do to qualify.
Ireland and India to beat USA
Pak to beat Ireland & Canada
India to beat all remaining, then all comes down to NRR. Only positive from today is that NRR is 0.
Here are the scenarios.

1) If Pakistan wins all games, and assuming USA beat Ireland, them its a rr battle between Pakistan and USA and atm its not looking good due to Jones hitting 10 sixes last game. So in this case ideally USA needs to lose to Ireland.

2) If Pakistan lose to India, then its a must that Pakistan must win their games with high margins and USA needs to lose to Ireland to have net rr war.

3) If Pakistan lose to India and Canada then allah hafiz.

Because let's be honest, India will beat USA and will beat Canada. So no chance of them departing

Pakistan has to win all games in a row now basically to win the World Cup?

That’s 8 games in a row
Naw, Theirs leeway for one loss in super 8's. But honestly bro, Pakistan is out of this cup, yei sab dil khush karnei walei matches hain, only hope now is maybe a few Indian games get rained off? And Pakistan vs India gets rained off allowing Pakistan a respite

Here we go again, time after time, every tournament, lose the first game and then get the calculators and musalay out, I am done and not watching any more games, the T20 WC is over.

hey we made it to the finals while losing to zimbabwe, nothing to worry about

Here are the scenarios.

1) If Pakistan wins all games, and assuming USA beat Ireland, them its a rr battle between Pakistan and USA and atm its not looking good due to Jones hitting 10 sixes last game. So in this case ideally USA needs to lose to Ireland.

2) If Pakistan lose to India, then its a must that Pakistan must win their games with high margins and USA needs to lose to Ireland to have net rr war.

3) If Pakistan lose to India and Canada then allah hafiz.

Because let's be honest, India will beat USA and will beat Canada. So no chance of them departing
I am impressed that someone was optimistic enough to make this thread.

Keep in mind that if Pakistan wins the next 3 then India also only can have 6 points. There will be a 3 way tie for two spots if USA beats Ireland and then it comes down to NRR.
Yes, Rain off India vs Pakistan, then have Pakistan beat Canada and Ireland, Pakistan progresses with 5 points while India will.have 7, USA becharei get hard done dirty with 4 points.

Kudrat ki nizam zindabad
What? You expect us to lose to Ireland? USA beats Ireland and we have 6 points. Even if the next two matches get rained off we have 6 points. Even if we lose to India and there's a rainout vs. Ireland, you still have to beat us on NRR to advance.

Here we go again, time after time, every tournament, lose the first game and then get the calculators and musalay out, I am done and not watching any more games, the T20 WC is over.
so what?

that is sports. If there is one team that can make it with the calculators its this team

The team looks disjointed. They don’t look United and there are quite a few timid, clearly nervous characters in the team.

-Usman Khan looks and feels like an outsider

-Babar has become far more expressive with his angry outbursts this time round

-Iftikhar seems lost, disinterested

-Rauf is pumped up but will probably lose his way now

-Shadab can’t buy a wicket

-Amir is starting to let out his inner venom too.

Don't worry guys it will happen. Even more unrealistic thing of SA losing to Netherlands chasing a modest total has happened. So things will happen for Pakistan.
Yup, insane how Pak always managed

I am impressed that someone was optimistic enough to make this thread.

Keep in mind that if Pakistan wins the next 3 then India also only can have 6 points. There will be a 3 way tie for two spots if USA beats Ireland and then it comes down to NRR.

What? You expect us to lose to Ireland? USA beats Ireland and we have 6 points. Even if the next two matches get rained off we have 6 points. Even if we lose to India and there's a rainout vs. Ireland, you still have to beat us on NRR to advance.
Arei kakei, I was being sarcastic. Why did you have to respond with such seriousness? Come on you're smarter then that

This guy Jones played all his cricket in Barbados. Him and the left handed opener. They are not random African Americans trying their hand in cricket…they are proper players. Pakistan is in big trouble here. These guys will look to see USA through

The team looks disjointed. They don’t look United and there are quite a few timid, clearly nervous characters in the team.

They were always disjointed lol. The thing is, I can always tell who'll win and who'll lose in 60% of cases based of mentality alone.

USA were mentally ready, they weren't fighting in the sense that they got nothing to lose. They were fighting for super 8 spot. They didn't care who was infront of them. Nor did they ever give up even In moments of chocking.

Pakistan on the other hand were worse in terms of fielding, Bowling and batting. We got outplayed, outcaptained and mentally defeated today. This match isn't as close as people are making it seem. Even if Pakistan managed to win today, it would be because usa chocked like Afghanistan did in the past. Not because Pakistan won.

But obviously thank God they didn't because then the delusional cloud 9 nonsense would have begun like it did last year.

Pakistan has a lot of no.7 batsmen no.8 batsmen in the middle

Shadab no.7/8 batsman
Ifti no.7 batsman
Imad no.6 at best
Usman no.6/7 at best.
Azam khan no.7 may be

Too many bits and pieces, hacks in your line up. In T20 you can get away with such players as you just need a series of cameos. But that comes with a caveat. Bowlers have to be very good that they should restrict the opposition to a below par total. If the pitch is spicy or difficult this line up gets exposed even more. In essence Pakistan bowling is forced to offset any batting inadequacy that Pakistan has.

Ireland match at Florida will be interesting. It is likely to be a high scoring game. Among the tourists India has played the highest matches there. 8 matches. Often scored at 10 an over. Last year Jaiswal and Gill added 165 for first wicket in 15 overs there. West Indies always open with spin bowling there. Sometiems they tasted success with that strategy. So spin will be key. Slow ball merchants are also key. Fast bowlers will travel.

Man, one match in and we are already in calculations-permutations-combinations mode as usual. Can't we have one tournament where we are not slaves for statistics?

Here we go again expecting nature to perform miracles.

Personally, I don't think I have it in me to go through the mental highs and lows of a qudrat ka nizam run...even if it happens. I've been more positive on this team than most posters here. But everyone has a breaking point. Well done PCT, you have defeated me mentally.

Losing to Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland in the last couple of years has been hard enough. Losing to freaking USA now is pretty much as rock bottom as its gonna get. Think I need to skip this World Cup and take a break from cricket altogether.

Ireland match at Florida will be interesting. It is likely to be a high scoring game. Among the tourists India has played the highest matches there. 8 matches. Often scored at 10 an over. Last year Jaiswal and Gill added 165 for first wicket in 15 overs there. West Indies always open with spin bowling there. Sometiems they tasted success with that strategy. So spin will be key. Slow ball merchants are also key. Fast bowlers will travel.
Hate that pitch, its a belter.

Personally, I don't think I have it in me to go through the mental highs and lows of a qudrat ka nizam run...even if it happens. I've been more positive on this team than most posters here. But everyone has a breaking point. Well done PCT, you have defeated me mentally.

Losing to Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland in the last couple of years has been hard enough. Losing to freaking USA now is pretty much as rock bottom as its gonna get. Think I need to skip this World Cup and take a break from cricket altogether.
Or you could support another team of your choosing? You're not tied down to your country of birth bro, theirs no hard and fast rule.

If you look at this from an outsider perspective and not a patriotic perspective, This game and Nambia vs Oman have been the 2 best games of the tournament so far.

Or you could support another team of your choosing? You're not tied down to your country of birth bro, theirs no hard and fast rule.

If you look at this from an outsider perspective and not a patriotic perspective, This game and Nambia vs Oman have been the 2 best games of the tournament so far.
The Netherlands vs. Nepal and USA vs. Canada games were pretty entertaining too :).

Pakistan is definitely losing to India. I'm afraid they might lose to Ireland as well.

In t20, any team can beat other team on given day but I still did not expect USA to win against Pakimstan.

Not all is lost for Pakistan though. Just need to play better in initial overs. Just going by score card it looked like Baber froze by scoring only 9 runs by the end of 9 overs as an opneer. Just need to play shots and not worry too much about losing wickets. Run a ball kind of innings are not going to help most of the times in T20. Specailly when pitch is good to bat.

This loss makes other Pakistan's games interesting. I think Pakistan should still go in the next stage. Upsets don't happen every day.

In t20, any team can beat other team on given day but I still did not expect USA to win against Pakimstan.

Not all is lost for Pakistan though. Just need to play better in initial overs. Just going by score card it looked like Baber froze by scoring only 9 runs by the end of 9 overs as an opneer. Just need to play shots and not worry too much about losing wickets. Run a ball kind of innings are not going to help most of the times in T20. Specailly when pitch is good to bat.

This loss makes other Pakistan's games interesting. I think Pakistan should still go in the next stage. Upsets don't happen every day.
This has to be highlighted. 9 runs in 9 overs instead 9 in 23 balls. One of the most bizzarre innings i have ever seen. I have seen KL Rahul starting with maiden overs and got trolled. Even he has not played like this.

This has to be highlighted. 9 runs in 9 overs instead 9 in 23 balls. One of the most bizzarre innings i have ever seen. I have seen KL Rahul starting with maiden overs and got trolled. Even he has not played like this.
I only noticed it becasue I did not see the match live and went through score card. I don't think as an opener you should be ever 9 runs at the end of 9th over in T20. That will kill the game for your side. Many posters are happy that he ended with 40(40) kind of score, but how in the world you come as an opener in T20 and still be single digit after 9 overs.

Yes, it was one the most bizzarre innings in T20.

Pakistan is definitely losing to India. I'm afraid they might lose to Ireland as well.
At Lauderhill where Pakistan plays Ireland

Fast bowlers average ER 8.39
Spin bowlers average ER 7.05

Going in with extra spinner like Abrar will be helpful against Ireland. If they go with this "pace is pace yaar" plan they will get creamed.

Gotta love Pakistan cricket and fans. Every tournament its a doomsday scenario from match 1.

This is a new low to be at this point after one game.

One minute down, next minute further down. :nasser

we are done thats the reality

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan cricket has down down in standard , it's time people accept that. You need to have long term plane and stick to them , then only after 3 - 4 years you will get results, get in important positions serious people with vision and stick to that game plan.

Here we go again! If Uganda beats Nepal by 19 runs, South Africa loses to Oman by 23, Ireland beat PNG by 9 runs, India forfeit against USA, and Pakistan beat Australia by 135 runs then Pakistan will reach the semi finals.
Time to buy an old TV!

No more scenarios are needed. I don't think this team deserves to go to the super 8 stage anyways. No calculations needed.

so what?

that is sports. If there is one team that can make it with the calculators its this team
I agree. Pakistan is a dangerous side when their backsides are against the wall.

The only side with four 140 kph bowlers can never be underestimated.

Here we go again! If Uganda beats Nepal by 19 runs, South Africa loses to Oman by 23, Ireland beat PNG by 9 runs, India forfeit against USA, and Pakistan beat Australia by 135 runs then Pakistan will reach the semi finals.
Time to buy an old TV!
It's actually way simpler than this.
Beat India, Canada, and Ireland. Off Pakistan goes to the Super 8s. Win and you're in-the Super 8 points number is 6.

At Lauderhill where Pakistan plays Ireland

Fast bowlers average ER 8.39
Spin bowlers average ER 7.05

Going in with extra spinner like Abrar will be helpful against Ireland. If they go with this "pace is pace yaar" plan they will get creamed.

Bro forget about B
Abrar he's not going to get a game he's not part of babars friends group

I can make a wager.

Pakistan will not win any match they are batting first in this tournament.
I want them to bat first against India. I cannot bare the besti when India smash 200 off our cake eaters.

Bat first and maybe put pressure on India chasing , maybe we can win. It’s the hope that kills you

Welcome to the club. I have been like this for a while now.

Trust me its better for your mental health. I spent most of yesterday evening laughing at the team while friends and family were fuming. Its better that way.

Next game they'll be out. NY being a dangerous pitch is useless if Rauf and shaheen are bowling full tosses 24/7 and Amir is bowling cutters 24/7.
We are playing Canada in New York? We should win that right?

We are out of this tournament, let's just forget about these calculations for our mental health.

India is going to destroy us and that NRR, which is one thing our fans are desperately holding on to, will be nuked as bad as Ireland's.

USA is high on confidence and that game against Ireland will be a win for them I feel.

We are out of this tournament, let's just forget about these calculations for our mental health.

India is going to destroy us and that NRR, which is one thing our fans are desperately holding on to, will be nuked as bad as Ireland's.

USA is high on confidence and that game against Ireland will be a win for them I feel.
How can you avoid defeat to India? What can you do right?

Pakistan likely to have problems against Irish too . Only Canada they might win

How can you avoid defeat to India? What can you do right?
Nothing.

India is in another stratosphere, Pakistan just cannot compete if we are getting dominated by USA of all teams in a T20 game.

With all due respect to the fight shown by USA, they should be nowhere near international level teams even in exhibition games. Here we have lost to them in our WC opener.

They might not be the weakest team on paper to represent Pakistan in a World Cup, but they are on track to embarrassing themselves as the worst performing team in our T20WC history.

Forget qualifying. This team is a shambles. It needs a COMPLETE OVERHAUL. I have been watching Pak for a long time. In the past we were poor but never lacked effort and resolve. Blood and sweat. Now all I see is indifference and lack of appetite. Lazy greedy prima donnas. That coupled with the obvious nepotism has ruined my enjoyment. It doesn’t matter so much now. If they don’t care why should I?

Pakistan likely to have problems against Irish too . Only Canada they might win
Ireland have planned to beat Pakistan and reach super 8s. Stirling said something along these lines in his post match interview against India. They are 100% intent on beating USA, Canada and Pakistan.

We are playing Canada in New York? We should win that right?
Maybe not. If we get butchered by India it'll be another asia cup 202e situation where the team is dead.

Even if their superior they won't have it in them to beat any team unless that team is Oman, nambia, PNG or Uganada.

Even Bangladesh would beat us in a demorilised state

Nothing.

India is in another stratosphere, Pakistan just cannot compete if we are getting dominated by USA of all teams in a T20 game.

With all due respect to the fight shown by USA, they should be nowhere near international level teams even in exhibition games. Here we have lost to them in our WC opener.

They might not be the weakest team on paper to represent Pakistan in a World Cup, but they are on track to embarrassing themselves as the worst performing team in our T20WC history.
If we beat India, that is the equivalent of this humiliation by the USA. India are too professional to let that happen. Stop dreaming. It ain’t going to happen. Maybe we could have a meet and greet the night before? That’s what we are good at. Eating and begging.

I’m not saying this will happen, but let’s say Pakistan lose their remaining matches from here. What will be the outcome? Babar will still be the captain for the next T20 World Cup? He will still be allowed to captain a franchise in PSL?

I’m not saying this will happen, but let’s say Pakistan lose their remaining matches from here. What will be the outcome? Babar will still be the captain for the next T20 World Cup? He will still be allowed to captain a franchise in PSL?
I think Babar got reassurance till 2025 CT

I don't see Pakistan beating India or Ireland to be honest, and the Canada game will also be a toss-up considering the conditions.

There should be some serious introspection after we inevitably exit this tournament.

Still can't believe it.

I think Babar got reassurance till 2025 CT
Chalo that’s another format. We can’t realistically expect change for failures in one format to also effect another format.

But in T20 cricket, is Babar the direction we are still going with? I just have to ask this question because nothing makes sense anymore in Pakistan cricket.

I don't see Pakistan beating India or Ireland to be honest, and the Canada game will also be a toss-up considering the conditions.

There should be some serious introspection after we inevitably exit this tournament.

Still can't believe it.
I know you don’t see it. No one does. But you have 2 days to do something about it. What would you do right now to change this?

Chalo that’s another format. We can’t realistically expect change for failures in one format to also effect another format.

But in T20 cricket, is Babar the direction we are still going with? I just have to ask this question because nothing makes sense anymore in Pakistan cricket.
I'm suprised their hasn't been an akshay kumar video yet

I know you don’t see it. No one does. But you have 2 days to do something about it. What would you do right now to change this?
Fake injuries and replace most of the team with

Haris
Sharjeel
Agha
Tayyab
Qasim akram
Shabzada Farhan
Mohammad Ali
Zafar gohar
Saud shakeel

^^ This is the only quick fix they can do, but even then visa won't be approved that quickly 😂😂. They took no reserves and it'll be Hella sus tthat9 players got injured right away.

Even if this hypothetical happened, Knowing babar he brings in nawaz and Hasan ali lol

If we beat India, that is the equivalent of this humiliation by the USA. India are too professional to let that happen. Stop dreaming. It ain’t going to happen. Maybe we could have a meet and greet the night before? That’s what we are good at. Eating and begging.
Yeah, India should stop playing cricket if they lose a game to these bunch of jokers.

I think this might be one of the first few times that even Pakistan fans might protest and support India against their own country for this particular game.

This cricket team has done a lot of damage to our reputation over the years, but this was the zenith. Surely they cannot go down from here and start losing games to Italy or Argentina in the near future?

Yeah, India should stop playing cricket if they lose a game to these bunch of jokers.

I think this might be one of the first few times that even Pakistan fans might protest and support India against their own country for this particular game.

This cricket team has done a lot of damage to our reputation over the years, but this was the zenith. Surely they cannot go down from here and start losing games to Italy or Argentina in the near future?
Anything is possible. Kirsten needs authority.

NY pitch is dangerous, if Pakistan bows 2nd, they have a chance of winning.

SA would have probs lost to Sri lanka is they batted first cause that's how poor NY is as a pitch

Pakistan has to win all games in a row now basically to win the World Cup?

That’s 8 games in a row
Winning 8 games in a row for this Pakistan team is just like me dating Ana De Armas, which is impossible.

Not possible.
I think they can afford 1 or 2 more defeats.

1 more defeat in the group stages, but win the other 2 by a huge margin.

1 more defeat in the super 8s

So basically out of 8 fixtures, Pakistan has to win 6

NY pitch is dangerous, if Pakistan bows 2nd, they have a chance of winning.

SA would have probs lost to Sri lanka is they batted first cause that's how poor NY is as a pitch
Our pacers are gifting full tosses, wo bhi at crucial stages.

We are going to take the pitch out of the equation. Also, India is too professional to struggle on any pitch against this bruised Pakistan team.

We should consider this game as a loss, and focus on winning the other two games with good margins and hope USA drops their game to Ireland.

Won't make a difference, evident by the stupid shots Fakhar and Usman played yesterday.

Don't think we will make it to the next round , do we have the team to beat India our final is on 9th June after that Game over!

Won't make a difference, evident by the stupid shots Fakhar and Usman played yesterday.
That’s not fair is it? They are powerplay openers by nature who want to attack in the powerplay. They are not middle order consolidaters. They are not built to play like that.

That’s not fair is it? They are powerplay openers by nature who want to attack in the powerplay. They are not middle order consolidaters. They are not built to play like that.
Usman and Fakhar throwing their wickets away like that was a huge reason we scored a below par total. Babar's batting was also one of the worst T20 innings I have seen in a long time.

Back