Talent Spotter : Bismillah Khan

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Bismillah is a 22 year old wicketkeeper batsman who plays for Quetta. He made his first class debut in the 2009/2010 season and has played 26 first class matches and 15 List A matches.

Bismillah's batting average in first class cricket is just under 30 and he has taken 59 catches and carried out 1 stumping.

A hard hitting batsman who can open the innings or bat in the middle order, Bismillah only a few days scored 142 from 141 deliveries when opening the batting for Quetta against Multan in the ongoing One Day National Cup.

How I got into cricket: There wasn't anyone from my family who played first class cricket. Naturally growing up in Pakistan most people follow cricket and play it too. I just enjoyed watching some of our former greats on television and that's how I got interested.

I would watch matches on the television and then pretend to be some of the great players that I had watched. There was an instant passion for the game and my heart was set at an early age on wanting to be a professional cricketer.

Who spotted me: I was first spotted playing school cricket in Quetta and recommended to attend regional trials at Under 19 level. There were a number of coaches attending the trials in Quetta and they were impressed by what they say with my wicketkeeping and batting.

Progress to First Class Cricket: I started in the Quetta schools system and then as mentioned I was recommended to the Quetta region by coaches attending regional trials. I then played Under 19 regional cricket for Quetta, which I think is a good grounding for the natural progression to First Class cricket. After playing Under 19 regional cricket I was chosen to play for Quetta in First Class cricket after I had made a lot of runs at Under 19 level.

When my chance came, the first choice wicketkeeper was injured and in my first three matches for Quetta I scored a total of nearly 300 runs.

First Class team: I play for my home region of Quetta. They are the ones that discovered me, nurtured me and I really enjoy playing for them. I've been asked by some departmental teams to change teams and sign for them, but at this moment in time, I'm happy to be playing for Quetta, but who knows what the future holds.

Wicketkeeping: I became a wicketkeeper literally by chance. Initially I was a batsman, but then our wicketkeeper at school level cricket during an inter school tournament was not available for a match. We were stuck without a wicketkeeper and as there were no volunteers coming forward, I said that I would keep wicket.

The intention was to just keep wicket for that one match, but I enjoyed it that much and it went well, that I felt I wanted to do it on a more regular basis.

After that initial chance at wicketkeeping I started to concentrate on those skills and started to work with the coaches and take it a lot more seriously.

The Pentangular Cup 2012: It was an honour to be selected for my region Baluchistan in this competition for the first time. The Pentangular Cup is the toughest domestic competition in my opinion, as it has the best players from each region competing against each other in 4 day cricket. All the players selected for that competition have earned their right to play for their region and it is very high quality and tough cricket.

I learnt so much from the Pentangular Cup, it really was a brilliant experience taking part in that competition.

I played all 4 matches for Baluchistan, but I was disappointed with my performance in the competition, as I feel I could have done better.

Favourite current and former wicketkeeper: That would be Kamran Akmal. Yes he's dropped some catches in the past, but that is part of the game. But his batting is fantastic to watch and I model my batting on Kamran.

One Day National Cup: The competition has started really well for Quetta and we have managed to win our opening two matches. In the first match I scored 142 against Multan which was a very enjoyable innings. The ball came off the bat nicely and it was one of those days where you feel good and everything you try works out for you.

Our next match is against Karachi Zebras tomorrow (Sunday), so I'm hopeful that my good form can continue. I really want to impress everyone in this competition.

Batting position: I have batted in the middle order previously but I feel that my best batting position is as an opener. I think if a wicketkeeper can open the batting, it gives the team the option of playing an additional bowler or batsman.

I enjoy opening the batting and facing the challenge of the new ball. I like to take on the bowling especially with the restrictions on the fielding side.

Combining opening the Batting and Wicketkeeping: It's not easy especially if you have been fielding first. But cricket is all about challenges and as a wicketkeeper if you are asked to open the batting also, then that is a challenge you have to meet.

Your fitness levels are thoroughly tested and you have to be in peak physical condition to take on the role of opening the batting and then wicketkeeping for 50 overs. I feel that I can handle it, as I am someone who really takes care of his fitness.

Overseas Tours: I toured the Maldives last year with the Pakistan Under 25 team to take part in the SAARC Twenty20 competition that we won. Jamal Anwar was the first choice wicketkeeper but I played in one match, had 4 dismissals and scored 15 runs. It was a great experience to tour overseas and to win a tournament.

Hopefully the tournament in the Maldives will be the first of many overseas tours for me.

Hopes for the Future: Ever since I started playing cricket I have dreamt of playing for Pakistan, that is my aim. I want to follow in the footsteps of Moin Khan, Rashid Latif and Kamran Akmal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If his desire is to follow in the footsteps of Kamran Akmal then I'm worried for him.

Pakistan could do with a good keeper who can open the batting in LOI's.......

Wish him all the best.............

Good read. Insha Allah he will join a department next season and work with the pros at The NCA.
Like the fact that he is an aggressive opener as well as a keeper, which we really need.

He seems promising, if safraz fails the coming odi series, this guy should be given a go. I know he wants to bat in the top order but there is some competition there, I think the team needs some lower order biffing right now and he seems to have what it takes.

One a side note is he a Balouchi? I dont know if one of them as ever played for Pakistan.

Hopes for the Future: Ever since I started playing cricket I have dreamt of playing for Pakistan, that is my aim. I want to follow in the footsteps of Moin Khan, Rashid Latif and Kamran Akmal:facepalm:.

On a serious note. An aggressive opener Wicketkeeper batsman. What else Pakistan Team will be wanting more. PCB should take care of this lad and groom him for future (World Cup 2015).

looking at the current WKs Pakistan keep trying, this guy should become a regular in Pakistan national team in 6 months.

Favourite current and former wicketkeeper: That would be Kamran Akmal. Yes he's dropped some catches in the past, but that is part of the game. But his batting is fantastic to watch and I model my batting on Kamran.

I read it till that... and :facepalm: none the less he deserve a chance... I hope he didn't learn how to drop catches from Akmal brothers...

One to keep an eye on for the future.

I think there is no need to over hype someone like this. Playing second division games and scoring is different and playing International bowlers is different.

Seems in good form since his comeback after the ban

He has played 4 FC games since comeback and these are his scores in those innings:

have high hopes from him. Bismillah Khan and Mohammad Rizwan will be the 2 WKs dueling for spot in team like Latif and Moin.

He is back after his ban which was unjust.I hope he uses the ban as motivation like Samuels.

He should be brought in the team just for the fact that he is from Quetta. And I daresay that I feel being from there has held him back.

Going to be the first Pakistan international born in Balochistan. Eventhough he is not an ethnic Baloch but still would be some progress.

^Irrespective of where he is from, he is definitely very talented so deserves a selection in LOIs.

He is selected in A squad so he can perform well so that he can play for Pakistan in near future

He is opener and wicketkeeper so he will provide more batsman or bowlers to come in to the side.

He is in A squad against UAE. Side Match against Australia will have adnan akmal

Good to see balouch guys getting chance. Everyone should get chance to play for pakistan whether he is balouch, kashmiri, sindi, punjabi, paktuni because to play for pakistan means everyone irrespective of region should get a chance to represent pakistan.

This will keep pressure on sarfaraz that he has to perform otherwise bismillah and rizwan are there, sarfaraz cant relax.

Bismillah scored a half centuary in last match against UAE and no other batsman, before this match he was sent in at 8 and face 49 over, he had slog their he failed , he is an opener and in last match opened the innings and scored half centuary.

Bismillah Khan - First impressions in PSL

Let the hype start lols.

On a serious note, have heard about him for many years but he is still 25.

Looked good against Gohar in first over.

thats why i was saying he should be selected for t-20 world cup as opener now people realize i was not mad when i had him in my 15 for wc

[MENTION=138379]#GreenRoars[/MENTION] [MENTION=139288]Abdul[/MENTION] merge threads

1 innings on phatta wicket should not be enough to get selected.

But he looks good

Look there's a reason why he hasn't been called up to the national team, average of 27 for a modern day wicketkeeper batsman after 50 FC matches isn't good enough.

Granted its been a nice cameo tonight. Always good to start a chase of 202 with a Bismillah...

Looks good vs. spin, mediocre vs. pace.

Good gamble to open with him, unorthodox captaincy working. Tactics.

Let the hype start lols.

On a serious note, have heard about him for many years but he is still 25.

Looked good against Gohar in first over.

Lol at the first line

Very dodgy on the off-stump area. Looks at home against the spinners mind. But against better quicker bowlers he'll be a walking wicket.

Also don't forget the nature of the pitch :)

Hes mediocre at best. A few shots in PSL wont change that

Will be walking wicket with new ball against decent bowlers

1 innings on phatta wicket should not be enough to get selected.

But he looks good

Look there's a reason why he hasn't been called up to the national team, average of 27 for a modern day wicketkeeper batsman after 50 FC matches isn't good enough.

Granted its been a nice cameo tonight. Always good to start a chase of 202 with a Bismillah...

What a nice way to encourage a youngster !!!

Well... He is doing very well against established International bowlers bar Gohar.

People love being negative on this thread but he's done really well considering the fact that this is first game.

Can't see live streaming at work, but scorecard suggests that he is going crazy

People love being negative on this thread but he's done really well considering the fact that this is first game.

He has done very well, but some were lucky shots and he has looked average against pace.

Superb vs. spin so far, though

Get this lad to open for Pakistan! He has got it in him to be International material.

Well... He is doing very well against established International bowlers bar Gohar.

The bowling has barely been club level tonight though - Ehsan Adil and Kevon Cooper were delivering leg-stump gift ball after another. On this pitch its been easy for the batsmen to play through the line of the ball and hit big especially with these shortened boundaries.

He's not a youngster either, he's played 50 FC matches with only 2 hundreds to his name.

A lot of talk about his technique & being a "walking wicket". No idea about his technique - doesn't matter as well because rest of bunch we have as openers are also "running wickets" when it comes to tough conditions and better bowlers...

The best thing about Bismillah that I have noticed by now, is the ability to rotate strike quite often - and he seems to pick length a bit early (could also be due to the even bounce of the wicket) - but his willingness to rotate strike seems a rare quality seen in Pakistani openers

Looks like a superior Sarfraz Ahmed. Isn't a one trick pony and knows how to hold a bat properly.

Yeah why not. Give him 3 chances as opener :kakmal

You people are going crazy over someone who is not that good, is facing rubbish bowling, and really should've been given out earlier

Tulla against pacers but certainly something there to work with. More Pakistan A games would help him.

Not that impressed tbh.

Greater range of shots than Sharjeel, though a much worse domestic record.

Looked average against pace too.

Lets give him a few more matches before we hype him.

Has fighting attitude should be given a chance as our t20 opener.

why are people against him , i agree he isnt good in 4 day cricket but he is lethal in t-20

Back