Tasmania v Pakistan | Tour Match | Hobart | 19-21 Dec 09

Extreme Pace said:
Well these days you can't be sure which Australia will turn up, they could be declaring at 600/4 or collapse for 150 ;)

True too :D

Good to see Kamran Akmal in form. Iqbal, Misbah and Fawad all got time in middle, intresting to see who gets the nod in middle order for 1st test.

I guess Rauf has put pressure on Gul by taking wickets and gaining some form.

Wow! 11 No-balls for Aamir!???

What the hell happened there?

Boi said:
Wow! 11 No-balls for Aamir!???

What the hell happened there?

Maybe Waqar is trying to stop him from leaning over when he delivers the ball. Through implementing this new technique, he could be forgetting his footing. Quite understandable and beneficial in the longterm.

Pakistan take control of Tigers
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...t-bellerive-oval/story-e6frfg8o-1225811958651
Chasing Pakistan's first innings 437 the Tigers were 6-132 at stumps today.

Tigers skipper George Bailey said the 17-year-old Aamir bowled quickly and moved the ball nicely on a pitch not known for pace.

"Young Aamir was pretty impressive," Bailey told reporters after day two of the three-day warm-up.

"That's probably as quick as we've faced all year and he got a bit of reverse swing at the end.

"Obviously the spinner Saeed Ajmal has got some pretty good skills, a good doosra and some good change-ups which for this wicket, which doesn't turn much or offer much, he's getting the odd one to bounce and kick and spin the other way."
The exciting paceman Aamir (2-18 off 10 overs) bowled with venom, taking two wickets in his first four overs without giving away a run, while tall quick Abdul Rauf (2-21 off 12 overs) also impressed.

Aamir, who says Adam Gilchrist is his playing hero, was happy that he was able to bowl a fuller length against the Tigers after working on that aspect with coaches.

And he's confident of performing well on Boxing Day.

"I'm in a learning process. I'm not a complete cricketer. I'm learning day by day," he told reporters.

"I think the main thing is patience. If you are in control and patient then you will succeed but not be thinking about the crowd (at the MCG)."

Aamir says he bowled up to 152km/h in the New Zealand Test series but averages 145km/h.

"But the main thing is line and length," he added.

Pakistan appear to be well and truly warmed up for the Test series.

Ajmal succeeded where Tiger Jason Krejza failed by taking a tidy 2-56 from his 18 overs.

Earlier the tourists had piled on the runs, wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal (109) cracking a stunning century off 74 balls, adding to Salman Butt's tenacious 153 on day one.

Although Krejza took three wickets, the Pakistani batsmen took a shine to his bowling, taking 162 runs from his 28.4 overs, including 21 fours and five sixes.

Test hopeful Brett Geeves was the pick of the bowlers with one wicket (Butt) for 37 runs from 22 overs, including seven maidens.

With the bat, Bailey (50) rued missing the opportunity to notch a big score while his teammates appeared uncomfortable with the rise in class.

He was the only Tiger batsman to look at relative ease against the dominant Pakistan attack before being judged lbw off the bowling of Ajmal.

"I felt good. I was fairly disappointed to get out there with four or five overs to go but I was feeling as good as I ever have," Bailey said.

"It was a good opportunity today and it would have been nice to be 55 not out at the end of the day."

In other news, Australian swing bowler Ben Hilfenhaus had a net session at Bellerive this morning, with Tigers officials saying he's pulled up well after taking 4-18 off eight overs for his Hobart club side on Saturday.

Knee tendonitis has forced him out of the last two Tests.

The first Test against Pakistan begins on Boxing Day in Melbourne

Well done Kami.

Great innings.

Really pleased to see that he keeps stepping up and doing really well for Pakistan.

Also good stuff from Aamer and Ajmal.

Good job, but here are some stats:

If we take Tasmanian averages, Tasmania should make 259 all out per inning while its 5 bowlers should give away 408 runs before taking 10 opposition wickets.

We bettered the 408 to 437, and we'll likely better the 259 down to under 200.

That said, what we saw in the two days wasn't a total shocker.

Really good warm up this. Players should be confident and in form now for the test, question can we maintain this standard now vs tougher oppostion.

Juggernaut said:
So true.

I know the wrist test have proved he's 17 and everything but the lad sounds a lot older.

I think he's 17. His voice has deepened since that post-match presentation in UAE :S
I have a friend who's 16 soon, he looks 18 and his voice is as deep as Arnold Schwarzenegger and he has a huge adams apple. So I think Aamer has just matured early, naturally higher testosterone levels.

Dont consider voices,some guys have girl like voice but it doesnt mean they are girls.
His face is just 17.

taaveez said:
Good job, but here are some stats:

If we take Tasmanian averages, Tasmania should make 259 all out per inning while its 5 bowlers should give away 408 runs before taking 10 opposition wickets.

We bettered the 408 to 437, and we'll likely better the 259 down to under 200.

That said, what we saw in the two days wasn't a total shocker.

Thankfully cricket isn't played on paper it's played on grass.

This has been a very good performance by Pakistan.....which makes a change from our usual warm up humiliations in Australia.

Saeed Ajmal gets the wicket of Krejza

161/7 (57 Overs)

Drew 0*
Geeves 22*

Saeed Ajmal 3/68 off 21 Overs
Rauf Khan 2/37 off 15 Overs

Ajmal battling out with Kaneria! Hopefully MoYo will include both, sorry Sami!

Misbah takes his third catch .. a 'snappy' one according to commies.

sultanator said:
Ajmal battling out with Kaneria! Hopefully MoYo will include both, sorry Sami!
the fact he's taking wickets on a helpless wicket rubbishes claims he can't attack :ajmal

If Tas. is all out soon, would you enforce the follow-on in an effort to win the match today or would you opt to get some batting practice for those who did not bat so well in the first innings, i.e. possibly open with Iqbal & U. Akmal?

Shah said:
If Tas. is all out soon, would you enforce the follow-on in an effort to win the match today or would you opt to get some batting practice for those who did not bat so well in the first innings, i.e. possibly open with Iqbal & U. Akmal?
Batting practice, plus don't want to over use the bowlers. These are practice matches and no one will remember their outcome. Should be used as preparation for the real thing.

On_the_up said:
Batting practice, plus don't want to over use the bowlers. These are practice matches and no one will remember their outcome. Should be used as preparation for the real thing.

Agree, definitely get some batting practice.

Open with Farhat and Umar.

Ajmal is spoiling everything by taking his 4th wicket! So now the selectors would have to think about picking him & Kaneria.

8/179 Tasmania lucky this is a 3 day game or they would be looking at a loss.

Bailey mentioned Aamer was as quick as they had faced this season. Good praise.

Khurram said:
**** he does sound like wasim akram
he may sound like Akram but he does NOT sound like a 17-year old

d0gers said:
he may sound like Akram but he does NOT sound like a 17-year old

I take it this statement of yours is backed by some research you have conducted on the voices of 17 year olds?

Geordie Ahmed said:
4 wickets for Ajmal - decision time for the management now. Him or Kaneria OR both?

both .. gotta be .. benn and the windies part timers were troubling australia .. imagine what ajmal and kaneria would do.

we've got a dream duo in 2 world class spinners, and they could win us the series. Ajmal can't do worse than Gul
kashif77 said:
both .. gotta be .. benn and the windies part timers were troubling australia .. imagine what ajmal and kaneria would do.

Gul only bowled 5 overs? Ajmal bowling a lot! Does this mean we will be playing two spinners?

My guess:

Farhat
Butt
Iqbal/Fawad (nepotism will most likely win)
Yousuf
Umar
Misbah
Kami
Aamer
Asif
Sami
Kaneria

Sami will get a place over Gul for sure. Kaneria and Ajmal will have to battle it out unfortunately. I'd prefer Fawad, but Yousuf will probably go with Iqbal.

Interesting that Farhat bowled more than Alam who is a better spinner.

itduzz said:
Ajmal > Kaneria

Dude Ajmal couldn't do anything in the Nz series and Danish got 7 wickets in one inning and was our main bowler so how is Ajmal better than Danish? :13:

I agree that we should maybe drop gul and Play two spinners but if we have to play one spinner it has to be Kaneria

Good work by Farhat there at the end.

He's a surprisingly good spinner .. nearly 100 FC wickets at an average of 29.

Yaser said:
we've got a dream duo in 2 world class spinners, and they could win us the series. Ajmal can't do worse than Gul
We can only play 2 spinners if we had an all rounder seamer like Razzler.

2 seamers in Aus is not on in a test.

iafzal said:

Do we have Yasir Arafat in the squad?

Well I hope our openers play a little more positively in the second innings ... note how Gayle was able to unsettle the Ozzie quicks with his onslaught.

Batting conditions are good and they have nothing to lose.

Shah said:
Interesting that Farhat bowled more than Alam who is a better spinner.

It only means that Alam won't be playing the test but son-in-law will play and may be used as a fifth bowler.

iafzal said:

Yeah that's why it was important to select Arfat or Razzaq .. but Mayo screwed it up with the useless selection of Sami.

Regardless we should still play two spinners as both Asif and Aaamer can bowl long spells and Malik, Farhat and Fawad can also chip in a few overs.

Bit of a dilemma for Pakistan with selection.

I think they will pick Sami, Asif, Aamer and Danish. But should think about playing 2 spinners - Melbourne is borderline but they both must play in Sydney.

all I'll say about Aamer is either he's one hell of a precocious teenager or more likely he calculates his age using Shahid Afridi's calendar.

kashif77 said:
Yeah that's why it was important to select Arfat or Razzaq .. but Mayo screwed it up with the useless selection of Sami.

Regardless we should still play two spinners as both Asif and Aaamer can bowl long spells and Malik, Farhat and Fawad can also chip in a few overs.
You are assuming that Malik & Alam will be picked.

I have to say.....

the cricinfo coverage of this tour so far has been MAGNIFICENT.

I can see loads of pictures of the game, the team training, arrival etc

I mean....you just go to cricinfo and you can immediately tell that Pakistan is touring Australia. They have given so much more coverage to this tour than they do to any other tour. I'm really thankful to them for that.

Shah said:
You are assuming that Malik & Alam will be picked.

Farhat will be .. and he's a better spinner than either of them.

Hash said:
I have to say.....

I mean....you just go to cricinfo and you can immediately tell that Pakistan is touring Australia. They have given so much more coverage to this tour than they do to any other tour. I'm really thankful to them for that.

:))

Don't worry, Cricindia will spring into action as soon as we collapse.

Hash said:
I have to say.....

indeed, pathetic

Oh noes ... Faisal opening :))) :)))

Would have made more sense to open with Fawad.

good to see Ajmal doing well. but before we get too excited keep in mind that the 1st test is being played in Melbourne and not Hobart. horses for courses. besides, the only way we can play both Ajmal and Kaneria is if we drop a batsman. It would be foolish to go in with just 2 seamers.

sure the Windies spinners troubled Australia in this series but they went in with 4 quick bowlers in all 3 tests. more likely scenario for us is giving Farhat/Fawad Alam a bowl and might explain why they're getting more of the ball in this game.

Bhanja is opening the batting with the son in law

kashif77 said:
Oh noes ... Faisal opening :))) :)))

Would have made more sense to open with Fawad.

It might be a good move to open with Faisal so they can see if he can bat against the new bowl If our openers get out early as If iqbal plays he will bat at 3.

Farhat not wasting any time .. 11 of 7 balls so far.

This team will play.
Farhat
Butt
Faisal bhutto
Yousaf
Umar
Misbah
Kamran
Aamir
Sami
Asif
Danish

Good stuff from Kami!! I'm sure MoYo would've enforced the follow-on, forgetting that batsmen need practice too.

Over 4.3: Drew to Iqbal, one run, thick inside edge off middle stump, ball runs to backward square
Over 4.2: Drew to Iqbal, no run, beaten pushing forward

Back