The Ashes | 1st Test | Brisbane | 29/11/10 | Day 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky 'I'm about to lose 3 Ashes series as captain' Ponting in next.

So it took England 5 overs to take a wicket when the OZ took ages. That's what Strauss will be wanting the OZ to think. If he can somehow take another wicket he can say (and the English and OZ press WILL say) that his team took more wickets in a session than OZ did in five sessions.

Ponting uncharacteristically not going for the pull.

there's life in the old dog just yet!

C'maaan Puntah!

If the aussies don't pick themselves up here they risk being phycologically scared for the rest of the series. They need to fight this out.

England win is on the cards here.. 2 more quickly and its panic stations for Aus.

Excellent overthrows from Kevinder. That will endear him to his teammates even less.

It seems cool because you don't know what they're saying. It's just not cricket. :wg

I was curious about it when I heard it first time in nineties and my first impression was that each song pertained to each club,,, I heard few years ago that some groups have included the name "Muhammad" (saw) in their chants and sorta made fun of it.... that's where I got my reservations; however, I don't think the current Barmy Army in Australia is trying to offend Muslims, are they? Plz enlighten us since you seem to have better knowledge on the subject.

What a ball by Anderson. He's been too good to take many wickets this Test.

Id like to offer Warne an english made humble pie.

What a beating. Hope the aussies pull themselves together, and hopefully well see the return of bollinger.

Decipher:

The Barmy Army (England cricket fans) AFAIK have never mentioned the Prophet PBUH.

Your thinking prob. of a football chant for German Bundesliga club Kaiserslauten I think; Google it - That wasn't blasphemous/dergotary, as the chant was:

"Paraphrase: Our Team is so good The Prophet would support us.

Even if you object to that you can't hate on all chants in football/sport in general.

True, past 10 years have seen ther Barmy Armt do more football style chants:

"Oh Jimmy Jimmy -
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimm-y An-der-son"

etc

Glad you enjoy them: Pak don't do any funny chants!

Last edited:
LOL at the foolish "Australia should go for it". This is a starting required rate of 7 we're talking. Think 99 off 86--remarkable even in one-days--and then multiply that by 3, and that's just a last-ball win for Australia. Sure there aren't field placements to worry about but the bowlers can get the ball out of reach and even in one-days 297 in 43 overs is 9/10 a losing chase

Have England ever genuinely embarrassed Australia like this before? Fortress Brisbane :))

I was curious about it when I heard it first time in nineties and my first impression was that each song pertained to each club,,, I heard few years ago that some groups have included the name "Muhammad" (saw) in their chants and sorta made fun of it.... that's where I got my reservations; however, I don't think the current Barmy Army in Australia is trying to offend Muslims, are they? Plz enlighten us since you seem to have better knowledge on the subject.

No they are not trying to offend Muslims, it's just a poor football terrace chant.

Here is the lyrics to their main song which becomes very annoying after hearing it after the 100th time.

Everywhere we go
Jimmy: Everywhere we go
Crowd: Everywhere we go
The people want to know
The people want to know
Who we are
Who we are
Where we come from
Where we come from
Shall we tell them
Shall we tell them
Who we are
Who we are
Where we come from
Where we come from
We are the England
We are the England
The Mighty Mighty England
The Mighty Mighty England
We are the Army
We are the Army
The Barmy Barmy Army
The Barmy Barmy Army
Andrew Strauss's Barmy Army
Etc Etc

Click on the link if that impressed you. Jerusalem is a dodgy crusader track imo.

http://www.barmyarmy.com/funandgames/index.php?m=songsfull&iSongID=1

OOF I hate the barmy army songs. Reminds me of the irritating cheerleaders at school (what the heck are cheerleaders doing in Saudi Arabia, wannabe American school :facepalm:)

Honestly even if drawn this may be Australia's most embarrassing match v England...517-1, never predicted that. At least Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, and the rest of them were honourable, hard-fought defeats

I also hate Jerusalem. Plus I hate Stephen Fry, who always pops onto the Ashes bandwagon to yap on about CB Fry, etc etc etc

I like this one.

"Ponting , without Mcgrath and Warne
Is hopeless and only 5ft tall
He's skipper but now so bitter
As we claim the Ashes once more"

lol.

I prefer: Pre -recession

"We get 2 dollars to the pound, we get 2 doolars to the Pound"

Decipher:

The Barmy Army (England cricket fans) AFAIK have never mentioned the Prophet PBUH.

Your thinking prob. of a football chant for German Bundesliga club Kaiserslauten I think; Google it - That wasn't blasphemous/dergotary, as the chant was:

"Paraphrase: Our Team is so good The Prophet would support us.

Even if you object to that you can't hate on all chants in football/sport in general.

True, past 10 years have seen ther Barmy Armt do more football style chants:

"Oh Jimmy Jimmy -
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimm-y An-der-son"

etc

Glad you enjoy them: Pak don't do any funny chants!

Thanks for the input and I guess you are right about the German foot ball club.
Back in 2001 when Pak played against England in England, I didn't witness these songs on the ground but looks like it's getting increasingly popular in the English cricket.
These groups sing in a cool enchantment that seem like to pump up the blood.

Another chant I hate, which they sing at football apparently, is: "YOOOOORE NOT SINGING, YOOOOORE NOT SINGING, YORE NOT SINGING ANYMORE"

Counts for nothing

Wasn't Brisbane considered a gimme/dead cert by the Aussies?

Very significant esp. if England get Ponting and a few more W.

To even draw at the Gabba is pretty good, last 21 games have seen 17 Aus wins and 4 draws. Good way for a touring side to start the series.

A hat-trick here.....

Both teams will be happy with a draw since they both got themselves into losing positions at some stage.

Indeed, Brisbane is an Australian fortress. Amazing stuff from England, that Haddin-Hussey show seems months old now :D

There was no need for that from Jimmy. England have played hard and fair cricket, a credit to them.

I'm glad we avoided the mugging at Brisbane that many England teams and many other teams have suffered, as it's been next to impossible to recover from it in the past. Over four test matches, England can retain the Ashes against this Australian team.

I'm glad we avoided the mugging at Brisbane that many England teams and many other teams have suffered, as it's been next to impossible to recover from it in the past. Over four test matches, England can retain the Ashes against this Australian team.
Parallel to England avoiding the Lord's muggings by switching to Cardiff in 2009..

I'll admit Anderson's "chirping" gets on my nerves; he's a fine bowler but looks really out of his league when "sledging". Plus that, er, nude photoshoot makes him a sitting duck. Though apparently Watson's also done nude photoshoots. What are we coming to? :facepalm:

Wow that would've put the pressure right on.

Would have been nice to get Swann properly into the series with that wicket.

Twatson dropped by Collywobble at slip

In terms of who gets the best of this draw England will leave for Adelaide settled and in even better shape than when they arrived (runs, wickets and confidence under their belts).

Australia have some big selection headaches now.

The Barmy Army in full voice. They don't care that it's going to be a draw!

That would have been a genuine spinner's wicket for Swann. Really annoying miss for everyone concerned.

Whats wrong with Swann?
Why is he bowling so fast?

Everything is in mid 80s.

He should be bowling late 70s-early 80s.

Too flat for my liking

Swann needs to take wickets for my fantasy team. He is making me regret for appointing him as my team's captain.

No miracle England win then. Time to hit the sack, it will be over in 11 overs.

Well played England for coming back strong after being 200 runs behind.

Wasn't Brisbane considered a gimme/dead cert by the Aussies?

Very significant esp. if England get Ponting and a few more W.

I very much doubt any serious Aussie cricket fan would have considered it that. I will be happy with a draw and would have been happy with a draw at the start of the match. That is the reality of the position we are in.

The next step is we need to drop at least one (MJ) and hopefully two (Hilfy) for Harris and Bollinger for the next Test. Bring Hilfy back for Perth because Harris will only last one game. We gotta rotate these bowlers cos they are all rubbish.

Gone off Ben now then?

No I still rate him but he doesn't take enough wickets.

And too much of a risk to have the sameish attack having to bowl first up in Adelaide. We don't have any automatic bowler selections now so gotta pick an attack for the conditions. Adelaide is not going to help the Hilf.

:six for Dubya

Good to see us making batting look easy for a change.

As I predicted, poor move by England to bowl

Should have run Australia ragged on the field instead of giving some of the out of form batsmen confidence.

This is exactly what Ponting must be feeling now.

He'll go in much happier after this knock seeing how hes middled the ball rather than going in with a failure on his back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back