The Eoin Morgan Thread | Is he a Craftsman, Finisher or Just Overrated?

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
I have seen this lad in two matches and both were against South Africa. He looked very good in that 50 over match in CT and on friday he was awesome in the T20 match against the same team.

He smashes sixes with such an ease. It is nice to see such talent coming from that part of world too.

I have to admit that both the pitches he has played on were flat ones but he looked very good, qucik hands and powerful arms.

Will be nice to see his progress.

Last edited:
He is Irish not English, that's why the talent.

England itself has not produced any quality batsmen for a long time now.

Random Aussie said:
England itself has not produced any quality batsmen for a long time now.

Lolz ok, i know he is irish but he plays for England. :D

England batsmen are over coached & are told to play patiently & hit down the ground, I am sure Morgan isn't because he hails from Ireland

I have seen him bat in some county match, on TV. He was very innovative in his shot selection in that match. There is more reason to believe he's got talent. He isn't English! lol

Ok, once and for all, I know he is irish, but he plays for England! But I have deleted the England thing, hope you are happy now!

The important thing is to discuss his talent/ strengths/ wekanesses. Not where he is from.

he is a great talent. love his batting. the new way that he plays the reverse sweep is awsome. love his batting. hope he plays well n gets close enough to sa total in 2nd 20-20

Completely agreed... looked stunning on debut and has continued to perform since then.

umar akmal of england hehe and fawad alam is trott hehe

Yeah hes englands new star Batsmen along with KP... Big clean hitter of the ball with a array of unorthodox but effective shots as well. For me hes better then Umar Akmal from what ive seen so far.

I am totally against what England are doing by taking the best talent from Ireland. First it was Ed Joyce and now this guy. Surely this shouldnt be allowed.

Anyways, this guy looks a like a gem of a cricketer. Those hits on Friday were just amazing, what a knock that was. He had a great Champions Trophy and showed great talent.

I simply love his batting:14:! One to be looked for in future as well:19:!

played for my club a couple of years back...

always had surpreme talent and was regarded as a potential future england batsman.

personalitywise, he was superb..lovely chap, very freindly and got along with everyone..although he had a middlesex contract and was scoring runs for fun he remained extremely down to earth...

I have so much time for this lad and hope he goes onto fullful he potential!

I hate this. As long as England keep stealing players, we will never see the growth of minnows like ireland and Scotland which got the talent....but only for it to be stolen. This will hurt the development of the game.

I hope ICC gives Ireland test status.

England has cultured talent. Our players are talented, but there brains are the size of a peanut.

What a crafty, inventive and classy player, a champion. 67no under pressure from him today.

akafen said:
England has cultured talent. Our players are talented, but there brains are the size of a peanut.

The brains are of the same size. The difference lies in the people who nurture talent. England has a professional and corruption-free set up which trains cricketers every step of the way, while most of the sub-continental players are picked up from the streets and flung into the hurly burly world of top grade international cricket. They have nothing going for them except raw talent.

Administrators in Pakistan, and to a lesser extent in India, are the ones with brains the size of peanuts!

Last edited:
Lots of bottom hand at times. Apparently he played alot of hurling.

He showed that despite the slow nature you could time the ball when your eye was in. I have a good feeling about this batsman and appears to be courageous.

Animal said:
The brains are of the same size. The difference lies in the people who nurture talent. England has a professional and corruption-free set up which trains cricketers every step of the way, while most of the sub-continental players are picked up from the streets and flung into the hurly burly world of top grade international cricket. They have nothing going for them except raw talent.

Administrators in Pakistan, and to a lesser extent in India, are the ones with brains the size of peanuts!

England cannot take credit for talents such as Kieswetter, Morgan, Pieterson etc. Yes they are all qualified to play for England but they are not the product of English coaching system. England over past 15-20 years haven't produced a batsman of great ability like the other countries. Currently with Pieterson and Strauss they have couple of great players in the making with Trott also joining the ranks their batting looks little bit stronger.

If you see its kind of pathetic that England are waiting for SA nationals to pass their qualifying period to pick them in the their team rather than the home bred talents.

Wow Morgan is exciting to watch...it would have been more exciting if it was against some other team but man this guy can play...the last six to finish the game just summed it up...little bit like Anwar.

He has been a useful limited overs players for a while now, and I'm glad he is getting more recognition. England produces plenty of decent batsmen but it just so happens that better ones from other countries want to play for us :) not only the current side, but for a long time too

I think our neighbour Pakistan needs to borrow some Indian batsmen from us. Eoin Morgan played well, he blasted the Pakistani bowlers as if they were Bangladehis, but the main concern for Pakistan is their batting, right now it seems like their batting is below International standard.

Sehwag87 said:
I think our neighbour Pakistan needs to borrow some Indian batsmen from us. Eoin Morgan played well, he blasted the Pakistani bowlers as if they were Bangladehis, but the main concern for Pakistan is their batting, right now it seems like their batting is below International standard.

i think below is even a insult term of word below.. we are currently even less then below...

look the heights and bodies our our batsmen, most of them looks very weak and very short in height... we need some strong batsmen like inzi, ijaz to compete to other countries. aussies avgs hights are over 6 feet like 6.2 is their team avg while our batsmen avg height now is 5.4 we are almost one feet smaller than aussies plus very weak too.

we need to eat a lot more red meat to become a stronger team.

He's the type of player that could make a mediocre team like Ireland look great; too bad England poached him.

Last edited:
Random Aussie said:

Name us one world-class Irish batsman in test history, then.

Robert said:

They don't even have Test-status. Maybe they would've, if you didn't steal their best players.

Robert said:

They might have not had too many world class players but he is still an Irish.

Ali Raja said:
They don't even have Test-status. Maybe they would've, if you didn't steal their best players.

One best player, and being able to hit a few boundaries in a meaningless slog match doesn't put him within a mile of the England test side.

Robert said:
One best player, and being able to hit a few boundaries in a meaningless slog match doesn't put him within a mile of the England test side.

Hmm doesn't it? You had Luke Wright in your Test-squad if I'm right.

Ali Raja said:
Hmm doesn't it? You had Luke Wright in your Test-squad if I'm right.

As a bowler, and fortunately he didn't play. Guy would have been cannon fodder in a test match.

Morgan wants to play tests for England and good luck to him, but he's not the next cab off the rank, or the one behind that even.

I just get a bit sick of comments about English players not being talented, when we have just regained the Ashes and halved a series in SA without KP turning up to either. Strauss has lived in England since he was ten and has 18 test hundreds. Colly has a 200 against a team with McGrath and Warne in it. Then you have the talent of Flintoff, and Bell who did well in Pakistan against a fit Shoaib coming in at full power. Swann is rated #4 bowler in the world at the moment, and Broad is in the top ten.

Last edited:
why are england allowed to steal irelands best talents. will we be allowed to do this to afghanistan in a few years time?

Robert said:
As a bowler, and fortunately he didn't play. Guy would have been cannon fodder in a test match.

Morgan wants to play tests for England and good luck to him, but he's not the next cab off the rank, or the one behind that even.

I just get a bit sick of comments about English players not being talented, when we have just regained the Ashes and halved a series in SA without KP turning up to either. Strauss has lived in England since he was ten and has 18 test hundreds. Colly has a 200 against a team with McGrath and Warne in it. Then you have the talent of Flintoff, and Bell who did well in Pakistan against a fit Shoaib coming in at full power. Swann is rated #4 bowler in the world at the moment, and Broad is in the top ten.

My only frustration is that as soon as Kieswetter passed the qualification there are talks of taking him in the side. Why is that happening?How do the home bred players feel about this?

An excellent cricketer and batsmen. Has done well in Englands ODI side and is adding strength to their T20 side also.

shafkath said:
why are england allowed to steal irelands best talents. will we be allowed to do this to afghanistan in a few years time?

Because this team represents United Republic of England, Wales, Ireland and South Africa.

My favourite bit is still the 'poaching' and 'stealing' when the players themselves do actually have a choice who they want to play for.

giri26 said:
My only frustration is that as soon as Kieswetter passed the qualification there are talks of taking him in the side. Why is that happening?How do the home bred players feel about this?

It doesn't matter what they think, the law is the law. It's the press that make up these controversies. If a guy has the legal right to represent England and he's good enough, the ECB would be daft not to pick him. Tony Greig was a top man for England, as was Allan Lamb, Judgey Smith, and Nasser Hussein. And Ranjitsinghi, and big Dev Malcolm. All of them represented England with total commitment and pride.

I'm proud of our multinational team.

I didn't watch the game but the KP innings looks promising. run a ball 43 with only 3 boundaries, happy to rotate the strike and play second fiddle to the in-form hitter. a mature performance that hopefully signals the end of the recent rubbish from him.

Ayyub said:
umar akmal of england hehe and fawad alam is trott hehe

Actually I think he is going to be bigger than Umar Akmal in the years to come. I have yet to see the latter take his team home instead he more often than not self destruct. Add to it the politics with his brother.

The boy morgan on the other hand seems to put his head down and get it done. No posing for the cameras after a shot, just gets the job done and done well.

Whippy said:
I didn't watch the game but the KP innings looks promising. run a ball 43 with only 3 boundaries, happy to rotate the strike and play second fiddle to the in-form hitter. a mature performance that hopefully signals the end of the recent rubbish from him.

He probably came into the ground knowing that his kryptonite wasn't playing today. :asif

He did perform splendidly today. Top notch effort while chasing down the score. He came in when the team was tottering on the edge of an top order collapse. Pieterson needs to now understand that he can be one of those players who helps his team chase down totals under intense pressure.

I thought he played really well. It'll be interesting to see how he does tomorrow.

Seems to be MR Dependable in ODIs just like a graham thorpe or Niel fairbrother in the past...!

Gabbar Singh said:
He played brilliantly - but it's his second odi hundred, his first against Canada.

Canada? Oh-ho! :13:

So we didn't poach him from the Poor Old Irish after all! He's a mercenary who plays for the highest bidder!

Robert said:
Canada? Oh-ho! :13:

So we didn't poach him from the Poor Old Irish after all! He's a mercenary who plays for the highest bidder!

His first was against Canada not for Canada. So you did poach him from poor irish.

Took his chance with both hands after he was spared by the umps. Class player.

PakZameen said:
His first was against Canada not for Canada. So you did poach him from poor irish.

No. He came to play for England of his own accord.

Indeed, and I think it's important to make a distinction between players like Morgan, who are taking their ONLY chance to play at the highest level, and players like Trott and Kieswetter who are bona fide South Africans with no actual claim to play for England (Pietersen is a complicated one because he does have an English parent - make your own mind up on him). Eoin Morgan could have played his whole career scoring a shed load of runs and never played regularly against higher quality opposition, nor even had a chance to play Test cricket. With England he shall almost certainly play at Test level and find out whether he is good enough or not. In the case of Kieswetter in particular what irks me is that he's rubbish. Beneath the bitterness, Pietersen may have a slight point that he was harshly treated, especially in the eyes of a rebellious youth as he must have been. But Kieswetter seems to be here because he had no hope of playing for South Africa, likewise Trott. I don't mind a small flavour of foreignness in our national team, it's inevitable in a competitive environment, but I'd rather see an ordinary Englishman represent my country than an ordinary South African, even if the former is worse than the latter. Pietersen at least brought excellence until his recent slump.

Robert said:
No. He came to play for England of his own accord.

That doesn't make it any better really. Whats the point of Irish cricket then, when everytime they find a half decent player, he will jump ship to England?

The ECB have a lot to answer for in that respect. Kolpak players in CC, tweaking the rules to get Graeme Hick elegible for England, the number of South African born players in the English side, and the Joyce/Morgan issue. To me it looks to be getting a bit out of hand.

was very impressed with him when I saw him during the T20s in Dubai...played some absolutely breathtaking shots.

he chose to do it, just like the rest of them. if your batters were okay but not brilliant, and more talented batters who can play for you stated their commitment, you'd have 'em

Zahid87 said:
That doesn't make it any better really. Whats the point of Irish cricket then, when everytime they find a half decent player, he will jump ship to England?

The ECB have a lot to answer for in that respect. Kolpak players in CC, tweaking the rules to get Graeme Hick elegible for England, the number of South African born players in the English side, and the Joyce/Morgan issue. To me it looks to be getting a bit out of hand.

Exactly. The ICC need to step up and start organizing some games for Ireland between bigger opposition. People say "one batsmen doesn't make a difference." No, but when you keep taking one after another....there is no cricketing heroes left in the country for kids to look up to nor will youngsters learn from their better players.

England taken Morgan and Joyce. Two batsmen, who I think can cut it at the top level. If they played for Ireland, they would obviously be stars of their teams and improve with the more experience they get. Only a matter of time before England look to poach Boyd Rankin.

I think Ireland has the infrastructure and talent to be a test playing nation. People will point toward Bangladesh, but a test nation is not built overnight and certainly not without actual tests! Ireland could play Bangladesh, Zimbabwe more often and sparingly play bigger opposition to get a feel of their progress. They probably could trouble some Asian teams if they prepared some seamers at home. This will encourage cricketers to stay at home, rather than seek opportunities with England.

Eoin Morgan could have played his whole career scoring a shed load of runs and never played regularly against higher quality opposition, nor even had a chance to play Test cricket. With England he shall almost certainly play at Test level and find out whether he is good enough or not.

I agree, this is the key distinguishing factor. You can't stop someone from seeking employment elsewhere. But you can create new opportunites of employment for him to lure him. Ireland deserves test status. They have talented cricketers and test cricket will only spur on more in the country to play it and generate more talented youngsters over 10 years. Bangladesh may be proceeding slowly but we are starting to see real cricketers stand up to tougher opposition like Shakib and Mahmudullah as opposed to early suss' they have in their team.

Ireland are nowhere near being a test-playing nation.

Whippy said:
Ireland are nowhere near being a test-playing nation.

I mean a smaller test nation. Not one like England will a full season, but they should definitely take on more 5 day games vs Ban and Zim. With the occasional series vs an England, NZ, Pak or WI.

Congrates Morgan.

Make sure you don't forget to send a chrismas card and stuff to Mr. Rod Tucker. Enjoy your moment.

I think the Fact Morgan played for a non-test playing nation means he should be allowed to play for england. Hes done the right thing by wanting to play at a higher level and progress his career!

In same way if a talented afghanstan player was able to play for pakistan and was eligible id want him in the team!

Very important to get Morgans wicket as early as possible. He is a slow starter but once he is set he explodes, so get Mohammad Aamer or Asif on him as fast as he arrives to the crease.

Morgan could end becoming the player of the tournament.
So far I have seen no one like him in any team.

What a fantastic player he is.

He reminds me so much of Graham Thorpe in terms of technique and mental toughness. He probably has more shots at his disposal than Thorpe did and probably hits the ball in the air more than Thorpe did, but the similarity is there for all to see.

Saj said:
What a fantastic player he is.

He reminds me so much of Graham Thorpe in terms of technique and mental toughness. He probably has more shots at his disposal than Thorpe did and probably hits the ball in the air more than Thorpe did, but the similarity is there for all to see.

What amazes me is his temperament. So many times over the last year has he delivered when England were against the ropes or needed quick scoring...it's kind of freaky, in a Michael Bevan sort of way. I don't think he necessarily has the best technique, but he's such a versatile batsman and so young, there's a lot going for him.

He has to prove his worth in the test arena before he can be considered on the level of the Thorpedo. but yeah, he rocks my socks right now

Nishan-e-Haider for eoin morgan

Nishan-e-Haider for eoin morgan he deserves it ..what an innings he saved us :akhtar

Just don't try him out when we visit, wait for another season before you introduce him on the test circuit por favor

Back