The UFC/MMA Thread

I had Barboza too but I guess the judges saw more power strikes land by Felder. Was close so fair enough.

Okay guys this is it - the main event of UFC 242- its the champion versus the interim champion.

KHABIB v POIRIER - RUSSIA v USA.

Can Poirier do a Rocky and snatch an unlikely win? Haha I know Rocky is a movie but it's an MMA fight so you never know.

Khabib will begin as the overwhelming favorite tonight.

Its time for the current combat sports king to take the stage.

Will Khabib try a bit a stand and trade early on? I doubt it. :)

I must say this atmosphere pales in comparison with the one which had KHABIB v CONOR - the biggest selling PPV in UFC's history.

Dont underestimate Khabib's striking - it has improved a lot in the recent years. Also it is helped by the constant threat of his takedowns always looming like a Damocles sword.

Khabib dominated the last 3 minutes of the round.

Okay Dustin simply has to knock out Khabib. He cannot win like this. Of course there is the little matter of knocking Khabib out which nobody has ever done.

Dustin should have traded more in round 1 but after being taken down, his energy levels are sapped.

Two near perfect rounds from the champ.

Can the Eagle finish this inside the distance? He may well do.

28 n 0000000000000000000hhhh

Perfect performance by the GOAT lightweight.

Tony F up next.

Beautiful show of sportsmanship by Khabib.

Khabib escaped the guillotine from Dustin and then chokes Dustin resulting in a tap.

Seems like McGregor hit the psyche of Khabib. Still in the post match interview he's taking dig at Conor. Lol

Anyways great fight as usual by Khabib, he's a beast

Forget everything, Khabib’s stamina is insane. Frightening man. What a talent.

This fight did not even test Khabib's stamina - he finished this well inside 3 rounds.

It did not but I mean in generally, the guy doesn’t sit down during the breaks; he’s always roaming around.

Dustin potentially/almost had Khabib in a lock but Khabib so easily managed to slide out of it.

Amazing technique but by far his stamina is something everyone will mention about once he calls it a day.

It did not but I mean in generally, the guy doesn’t sit down during the breaks; he’s always roaming around.

Dustin potentially/almost had Khabib in a lock but Khabib so easily managed to slide out of it.

Amazing technique but by far his stamina is something everyone will mention about once he calls it a day.

Every child should learn how to get out of the guillotine choke. The way he positioned his body to creat a gap and twist back for release for the best move of the fight, truly incredible coming out of the strong arms of Dustin.

Every child should learn how to get out of the guillotine choke. The way he positioned his body to creat a gap and twist back for release for the best move of the fight, truly incredible coming out of the strong arms of Dustin.

True. He made it look so easy. A fan watching him for the first time would think “that’s it, Khabib is going to tap out.” Unreal talent.

Other than football/cricket - I don’t think I’ve been so glued up to the tv when he comes on; last time probably back in my early teens when Amir Khan was rising/bursting onto the boxing scene. Khabib has become a ambassador for the minority after the incident(s) and fight v Connor.

I wonder what Khabib’s plans are now. Pressure must be heavy for him.

True. He made it look so easy. A fan watching him for the first time would think “that’s it, Khabib is going to tap out.” Unreal talent.

Other than football/cricket - I don’t think I’ve been so glued up to the tv when he comes on; last time probably back in my early teens when Amir Khan was rising/bursting onto the boxing scene. Khabib has become a ambassador for the minority after the incident(s) and fight v Connor.

Yes he is a once in a lifetime athlete in this sport, great to be around to watch him. I will try to watch him live before he retires, would be similar to watching the likes of Ali, Tyson, Maradonna, Federer etc imo.

Tony Ferguson is up next. TF will be the best fighter he will fight so far and is pretty good on the floor along with being a powerful striker.

Lol ambassador, my behind. He behaves equally like a heathen in response to abuse, gutter Y-front sports fans will love that regardless though, there's a reason why the vile garbage was black listed for so long in the main stream.

Julian Williams and Badou Jack are much better ambassadors for the moslem ummah and minorities, to start of with they don't take part in grinding on another man on the floor and number two they conduct themselves in the highest regard even in light of junglee behaviour, moreover their art is of the most superior form, nothing can remotely compare.

Lol ambassador, my behind. He behaves equally like a heathen in response to abuse, gutter Y-front sports fans will love that regardless though, there's a reason why the vile garbage was black listed for so long in the main stream.

Julian Williams and Badou Jack are much better ambassadors for the moslem ummah and minorities, to start of with they don't take part in grinding on another man on the floor and number two they conduct themselves in the highest regard even in light of junglee behaviour, moreover their art is of the most superior form, nothing can remotely compare.

Boxing maybe superiour and imo it is but Khabib is 28-0, unheard of in MMA and esp UFC. I dont really see him as a Muslim fighter but a combat sportsman. The only figther I think of as a Muslim is Muhammed Ali.

We can like some and dislike others but nobody can dispute he is the GOAT lightweight UFC fighter.

Boxing maybe superiour and imo it is but Khabib is 28-0, unheard of in MMA and esp UFC. I dont really see him as a Muslim fighter but a combat sportsman. The only figther I think of as a Muslim is Muhammed Ali.

We can like some and dislike others but nobody can dispute he is the GOAT lightweight UFC fighter.

I think he's good at what he does but people go over the top especially when they big him up as an ambassador etc I don't relate to that at all personally, now someone like Ali conducted himself in the highest regard in and out the ring, we can agree he was more of an ambassador for minorities and also muslims, Ali attracted many people to Islam at the time as well.

Julian Williams is the only fighter in any sport today who individually goes out of his way to get VADA testing before his fights had been paying for it himself as well and now doesn't pursue his opponents unless they agree to it as well to the point where Hurd pulled out of the rematch for this reason, he became world champion in the month of Ramadan and if you listen to any of his videos he is such a class act; and you know the same about Jack to in addition to the charity work he does to help refugees, that inspired his courageous performance in the last fight with that brutal cut and his entire body covered in a crimson mask of blood still went the distance and didn't quit, if you think about it MMA fans are very open and accepting of the concept of quitting in general though, Conor still retains the same notoriety; then again the fans which their sport attracts is just nasty; if there is even a ? in our sport about a fighter doing so you've seen the outcry in general.

This is why I just find it disrespectful to guys like Jack and J-Rock, but anyways as you say the sports aspect should be the focus. And you should have been at the 02 to see Lomachenko live! it was out of this world the level of skill on display and the 02 arena formerly known as the millennium dome is probably my favourite in the UK also due to the stuff you can do outside the arena

And tbh I largely watch the women's mma division when I do tune in, there's a great deal of depth as well.

That's a daft comment. This is the fight game, you are in it to win. UFC was initially born out of the desire to see how genuine fights would play out without imposed rules. Dustin's one of the best strikers in the game, just as Connor was, but you have to respect when a GOAT fighter can transcend all disciplines, and that is what we have with Khabib. He can hit hard with his fists as well, just check out the state of Poirer's face if you doubt it. Grinding on another man? Grow up man.

That's a daft comment. This is the fight game, you are in it to win. UFC was initially born out of the desire to see how genuine fights would play out without imposed rules. Dustin's one of the best strikers in the game, just as Connor was, but you have to respect when a GOAT fighter can transcend all disciplines, and that is what we have with Khabib. He can hit hard with his fists as well, just check out the state of Poirer's face if you doubt it. Grinding on another man? Grow up man.

It's exactly what they be doing and all the people who enjoy it are creepy, the poster above me is further evidence, wants others to do the same to khabib and show that extra appreciation. There have always been rules which mostly protect them and besides, these blokes largely lack heart and courage hence why is acceptable to quit. Genuine fights which had always been looked at as savagery, more like drunk yobs rather then a test of skill, why do they need to be on top of one another for so long? Can't see why anyone would enjoy it buddy

Lightweight world champion Khabib Nurmagomedov defeated interim champion Dustin Poirier in their UFC 242 title unification bout in Abu Dhabi.

Nurmagomedov, 30, submitted America's Poirier in the third round on Saturday to make it 28 wins from 28 fights.

The Russian outwrestled Poirier over the first two rounds before securing a rear naked choke to cement his status as the UFC's number one 155lb fighter.

Numagomedov defeated Conor McGregor via submission at UFC 229 in 2018.

That contest in Las Vegas ended in a wild brawl between the two rival teams and left Nurmagomedov suspended.

After serving his ban, the Russian returned to face Poirier with the well-deserved reputation as one of the most dominant fighters in the world.

Poirier had captured the interim title with a thrilling win over current featherweight champion Max Holloway at UFC 236 in April.

It set the stage for a champion versus champion clash with the returning Nurmagomedov looking to re-establish his place at the top of the division.

And he did just that with a dominant display of wrestling and grappling that left Poirier with no answer as he relentlessly pursued a submission finish through three punishing rounds.

The finish eventually came after Poirier spied a potential submission of his own, as he timed a Nurmagomedov takedown attempt and locked up a tight guillotine choke.

But the Russian - a former two-time combat sambo world champion - remained calm and eventually managed to escape the predicament before transitioning to Poirier's back and locking up the fight-ending rear-naked choke that forced the tap at the 2:06 mark of the third round.

After the fight, Nurmagomedov donned one of Poirier's T-shirts and said he would auction it off to help raise money for the American's charity, The Good Fight Foundation.

But he would not be drawn on when he might return to the octagon for his next match-up, saying he needed to rest for a few days before addressing his next challenge.

Remarkably, Nurmagomedov's most likely next opponent, American former interim champion Tony Ferguson, has been booked to face the Russian star on four separate occasions earlier in their careers, with injury and illness forcing the cancellation of the match-up each time.

Now, with Nurmagomedov on top of the division and Ferguson the clear number-one contender, a matchup between the two may finally happen.

Felder edges Barboza
The night's co-main event produced another crowd-pleasing spectacle as American Paul "The Irish Dragon" Felder edged a split-decision against former foe Edson Barboza.

The matchup was a rematch from a bout between the pair back in 2015.

Barboza took the judges' decision on that occasion but, after a bloody, back-and-forth striking battle in Abu Dhabi, it was an emotional Felder's turn to have his arm raised in victory as he earned scores of 28-29, 29-28, 30-27 to pick up the biggest win of his UFC career.

And it was a good night for the two British fighters on the card, with Scotland's Joanne Calderwood picking up a hard-earned split-decision win over fellow women's flyweight contender Andrea Lee, while featherweight debutant Lerone Murphy produced a strong performance against the hotly-tipped Russian contender Zubaira Tukhugov.

Despite coming into the contest on three weeks' notice as a late replacement, Murphy got stronger as the fight progressed and eventually earned a split draw on the scorecards to keep his undefeated record intact.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/49623587

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Khabib Nurmagomedov leading the post-fight prayers <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UFC242?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#UFC242</a> <a href="https://t.co/pYrJH4CXZ6">pic.twitter.com/pYrJH4CXZ6</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1170746666007310336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 8, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's exactly what they be doing and all the people who enjoy it are creepy, the poster above me is further evidence, wants others to do the same to khabib and show that extra appreciation. There have always been rules which mostly protect them and besides, these blokes largely lack heart and courage hence why is acceptable to quit. Genuine fights which had always been looked at as savagery, more like drunk yobs rather then a test of skill, why do they need to be on top of one another for so long? Can't see why anyone would enjoy it buddy

Alright we get your point. You know even thing about fighting. You are an expert. A lot of experts think he's excellent , but you think he's an alright fighter. Get sense in to them people. Deluded people. Khabib is rubbish ever one else is good. BTW thanks for the laugh in Khabib's thread, where you showed excellent expert skills.

Alright we get your point. You know even thing about fighting. You are an expert. A lot of experts think he's excellent , but you think he's an alright fighter. Get sense in to them people. Deluded people. Khabib is rubbish ever one else is good. BTW thanks for the laugh in Khabib's thread, where you showed excellent expert skills.

Mate not everyone is willing to get the baby oil out to rub it on his back, talk about nitpicking every little thing; vile fans like this make me sick and have serious issues. You're no fan of whatever you want to call that stuff they be doing, you're a fan of the man which makes you a casual and perhaps something more then that given how you are creeping me out, stay in your lane.

Mate not everyone is willing to get the baby oil out to rub it on his back, talk about nitpicking every little thing; vile fans like this make me sick and have serious issues. You're no fan of whatever you want to call that stuff they be doing, you're a fan of the man which makes you a casual and perhaps something more then that given how you are creeping me out, stay in your lane.

I hit the nerve. Sorry I forgot to mention. I have no right to post about ufc because I am not an expert like you. And I have never fought in my life. No one said rub oil on his back but every one agrees that he a good fighter but other then you who try to undermine him all the time. Keep burning though make sure you stay in your lane don't want others to get caught.

I think he's good at what he does but people go over the top especially when they big him up as an ambassador etc I don't relate to that at all personally, now someone like Ali conducted himself in the highest regard in and out the ring, we can agree he was more of an ambassador for minorities and also muslims, Ali attracted many people to Islam at the time as well.

Julian Williams is the only fighter in any sport today who individually goes out of his way to get VADA testing before his fights had been paying for it himself as well and now doesn't pursue his opponents unless they agree to it as well to the point where Hurd pulled out of the rematch for this reason, he became world champion in the month of Ramadan and if you listen to any of his videos he is such a class act; and you know the same about Jack to in addition to the charity work he does to help refugees, that inspired his courageous performance in the last fight with that brutal cut and his entire body covered in a crimson mask of blood still went the distance and didn't quit, if you think about it MMA fans are very open and accepting of the concept of quitting in general though, Conor still retains the same notoriety; then again the fans which their sport attracts is just nasty; if there is even a ? in our sport about a fighter doing so you've seen the outcry in general.

This is why I just find it disrespectful to guys like Jack and J-Rock, but anyways as you say the sports aspect should be the focus. And you should have been at the 02 to see Lomachenko live! it was out of this world the level of skill on display and the 02 arena formerly known as the millennium dome is probably my favourite in the UK also due to the stuff you can do outside the arena

And tbh I largely watch the women's mma division when I do tune in, there's a great deal of depth as well.

I thought Luke fought really well but the quality of Lomo shone in the fight. Glad you enjoyed it.

Im more interested in the skill level of sportsmen or women, thats what we pay to watch and it's entertainment. Sure there are some casual fans who get hyped up over a Muslim fighter and who dont understand what is even going on in the fight but for me this doesnt take away the skill of the figther.

Striking is a different ball game but on the floor grappling is also a skill. Most street fights dont last long and those that do often end up with both people on the floor. I think its a good skill for youngster to learn as it also takes away the size advantage.

Today is FIGHT NIGHT 158 in Canada.

The main event is between two of the most eminently watchable fighters - COWBOY CERRONE vs JUSTIN GAETHJE.

I am really looking forward to this particular fight. If the TONY v KHABIB fight does not bear fruit - Justin could be a contender for Khabib.

Good to watch, Griffin not panicking there...and now Griffin is swinging.

What a good 1st round. Griffin is clearly good on his feet and Chas on the ground.

Well Griffin should not get Chas on the ground. That was a very good 2nd round again. With fortunes swinging both ways. But Chas spent more time on Griffin's back.

That was a pretty good fight. Both fighters raise their arms in anticipation of being declared as winners.

One of them is going to taste their first defeat - as both of them are undefeated in their career so far.

Johns basically walked towards his corner with Smith on his back - so that he can hear their suggestions lol.

You never miss a fight :))

I had to cut down on my various sporting interests as far as watching them are concerned.

I just now watch cricket (highlights and World Cups) and UFC. Also living in the US - most of the UFC events are tailored to our time zone. So yeah :)

"Do not blow out your nose" - a very important fundamental advice when your nose might be broken. Antonio needs to heed this advice of his cornermen.

4 takedowns for Antonio. But Uriah led in significant strikes.

Okay decision time - winner by split decision URIAH HALL. This was a damn good fight.

What is this - an exhibition in gymnastics? Michel might gas out soon with all those nifty dance movies - if he does not finish Connelly soon.

I have not seen anything like this before - this is craziness by Michel.

Connelly is quietly doing his work.

What a stupid way to fight for Michel. He was more interested in theatrics and circus tricks and gymnastic moves than actual fighting in the 1st round.

But nevertheless an entertaining fight.

Back