The UFC/MMA Thread

Man such a shame - fight is called off after Todd kept saying to the doctor that he is seeing double. This was after the eye poke.

This is ruled a no contest.

I actually do want to see Justin fight Khabib before Khabib bows out. And this might happen after Tony vs Khabib.

So JORGE MASVIDAL and NATE DIAZ are fighting for the "Baddest Mother F#@4%$r" title in the main event in MSG at UFC 244.

It's one thing for fighters to claim whatever belt they are fighting for - but for Dana White to say he may actually prepare a "BMF" belt is just ridiculous.

Okay so is this "BMF" belt encompasses all weight classes? What is then the value of the actual UFC welterweight title.

While the masses want to see Masvidal and Diaz fight - the fight that needs to happen is between Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington - both of them are in terrific form and one is the defending champion and the latter was till recently the interim champion.

But Usman and Colby are not giving in to UFC's demands it seems - disagreeing with the money that is being offered. Really sad.

So a main event featuring a non title event between 2 fighters who basically have a 50-50 record. While its still going to be a people's fight - I am afraid UFC is slowly going the WWE way.

So JORGE MASVIDAL and NATE DIAZ are fighting for the "Baddest Mother F#@4%$r" title in the main event in MSG at UFC 244.

It's one thing for fighters to claim whatever belt they are fighting for - but for Dana White to say he may actually prepare a "BMF" belt is just ridiculous.

Okay so is this "BMF" belt encompasses all weight classes? What is then the value of the actual UFC welterweight title.

While the masses want to see Masvidal and Diaz fight - the fight that needs to happen is between Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington - both of them are in terrific form and one is the defending champion and the latter was till recently the interim champion.

But Usman and Colby are not giving in to UFC's demands it seems - disagreeing with the money that is being offered. Really sad.

So a main event featuring a non title event between 2 fighters who basically have a 50-50 record. While its still going to be a people's fight - I am afraid UFC is slowly going the WWE way.

Its a bit of joke and does lose crediblity of the sport. However the aim is for more fans, viewers and newbies to get into the sport.

The belt is a one off and wont be seen in other weight classes. Unless Dana white changes his mind again.

Its a bit of joke and does lose crediblity of the sport. However the aim is for more fans, viewers and newbies to get into the sport.

The belt is a one off and wont be seen in other weight classes. Unless Dana white changes his mind again.

It is a JOKE if UFC approves this belt. As you pointed out - it may serve well to make fans, viewers and newbies excited but all this baddest mf'er talk should be from them and not the UFC as an organization.

And what about the fighters themselves - who have an immaculate record and who actually hold the real title? Are they any less of a bad mother effer?

Anyway it's just my opinion. It's probably going to be a good fight between two slightly above mediocre fighters.

It is a JOKE if UFC approves this belt. As you pointed out - it may serve well to make fans, viewers and newbies excited but all this baddest mf'er talk should be from them and not the UFC as an organization.

And what about the fighters themselves - who have an immaculate record and who actually hold the real title? Are they any less of a bad mother effer?

Anyway it's just my opinion. It's probably going to be a good fight between two slightly above mediocre fighters.

Dana white has this unspoken rule about only headlining a five round payperview event with a belt on the line.

Which I don't understand, why cant we have a main event without a belt or interim belt on the line?

If connor comes back and wants to fight gaethje will it be a 3 round non main event fight? Or will Dana come up with another stupid belt...

Dana white has this unspoken rule about only headlining a five round payperview event with a belt on the line.

Which I don't understand, why cant we have a main event without a belt or interim belt on the line?

If connor comes back and wants to fight gaethje will it be a 3 round non main event fight? Or will Dana come up with another stupid belt...

I think it comes down to "marketing" the event. Because as you may know - this is basically an inconsequential fight in that weight division. Colby v Usman is the fight that must happen for the undisputed title.

Since this is going to be a PPV - they need some dumb phrase to sell it to masses and what better than "Baddest Mother Effer".

Conor is a different scenario though - as he headlined UFC's highest PPV's multiple times. His fight will sell. Speaking of Conor - if he fights Gaethje - that will be a pretty awesome comeback fight.

But I also want to see Gaethje fight Khabib as well - since he is the only All American Division 1 wrestler at Lightweight and it will be a good matchup. Although for anyone who has seen Gaethje fight - he rarely ever uses his wrestling. But with Khabib that will change.

Of course as much as I like Khabib v Gaethje - it will only follow after the much cursed TONY v KHABIB fight - which logically should happen next in their division. UFC tried 4 times to book this fight without success. It must happen while both of them are still in their prime.

May as well tune into pro wrestling bro :)) lmao Dana has been taking inspiration from Vince who was a pioneer of the PPV format although Boxing got there before him with Ali v Frazier om 1975, I guess Dana is desperate and is trying to do things in order to attract more folk to his product, no Ronda, Brock and Conor isn't as active, Jones is a druggie and Khabib is what he has left, not sure if he has that cross over appeal to do those massive numbers

Last edited:
May as well tune into pro wrestling bro :)) lmao Dana has been taking inspiration from Vince who was a pioneer of the PPV format although Boxing got there before him with Ali v Frazier om 1975

lol. Yes .

Imagine going to your family and saying Im the 'baddest mferr' champion. :))

One thing I will give credit to Dana is he does try to make the best fights in his sport when he can. Im sick and tired of watching mismatches in combat sports.

lol. Yes .

Imagine going to your family and saying Im the 'baddest mferr' champion. :))

One thing I will give credit to Dana is he does try to make the best fights in his sport when he can. Im sick and tired of watching mismatches in combat sports.

The thing is you wont even find a title as ridiculous as that in pro raslin lol but there are plenty of ridiculous things, the other day was arguing with two indian dudes drooling over some guy that was dressed as princess jasmine, apparently he's the "GOAT" lmao they rated him over technicians like Bret and Angle who was a former Olympic gold medalist, ironically he had a big interest in MMA but in the late 90s Dana's UFC wasn't as mainstream and Vince offered him more money, later on when he spoke to Dana about it he was too old by then. I think he would have been a beast not just due to the free style olympic wrestling background but his scary toughness, will power and determination

That is true, they do make decent fights but he benefits from having everyone under one umbrella

So the next PPV event is WHITTAKER v ISRAEL ADESANYA - UFC 243 in Melbourne Oct 5th. This is such an intriguing matchup. While I will buy the PPV just for this one fight alone - I must say I am pretty disappointed with the rest of the main card.

https://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-243

So the next PPV event is WHITTAKER v ISRAEL ADESANYA - UFC 243 in Melbourne Oct 5th. This is such an intriguing matchup. While I will buy the PPV just for this one fight alone - I must say I am pretty disappointed with the rest of the main card.

https://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-243

The business is established enough to not go all out to entice customers, the hardcore fan like you will pay for this regardless and perhaps a casual would to, if you give both fan groups everything on one card then there is no reason to tune into events after that and they need to keep the ship steady

The business is established enough to not go all out to entice customers, the hardcore fan like you will pay for this regardless and perhaps a casual would to, if you give both fan groups everything on one card then there is no reason to tune into events after that and they need to keep the ship steady

Oh yeah I know that. But generally they do try to at least have the card stacked with high ranked fights - TAI TUIVASA - this guy is ranked 14 and lost 2 of his last 2 fights and he is on PPV.

But since Tai is Australian - he is going to draw people.

Actually this event is going to be the most widely attended MMA event in Australia's combat sport history. So , while this event may not break PPV ceiling - its a great shoe in for UFC in Australia. It's also being billed as Australia v New Zealand given that Adesanya lives in New Zealand.

In time for UFC Fight Night 159 main event - JEREMY STEPHENS vs YAIR RODRIGUEZ at Featherweight. This is happening in Mexico City.

An eye poke by Yair in the very first few seconds of the 1st round. This will be a damn shame if this gets stopped now.

The crowd is throwing empty water/beverage cups into the Octagon after Herb Dean stopped the fight now after the eye poke. What an anti climax.

Tomorrow is UFC 243. While the PPV card is quite mediocre - I bought really only for 1 fight - the headline event for the Middleweight title between ADESANYA vs WHITTAKER.

Will be hosting a fight night party at my home so wont be able to probably do a round by round commentary that I normally do but will watch it.

As a form of protest against UFC gimmicks like the BMF belt - I am voting with my wallet by not buying the PPV for UFC 244 between Masvidal v Diaz. Normally I do buy most of the PPV's but I cannot be supporting stuff like this from UFC.

[MENTION=135526]leonidas_alexandar[/MENTION]

When is Diego Sanchez fighting next ? and what did you make of Matt Riddle's run, did he have world title potential if he stopped smoking weed ?

Tomorrow is UFC 243. While the PPV card is quite mediocre - I bought really only for 1 fight - the headline event for the Middleweight title between ADESANYA vs WHITTAKER.

It's a strange card, you are right that most of the undercard isn't much to get excited at all, but the headline event is in my opinion one of the most exciting this year. You have two genuine superstar champs going at each other, and their styles mean it is almost guaranteed to be spectacular.

I think Adesanya is probably one of the few fighters who has the speed and agility to beat Whittaker who is a one man wrecking machine. Been looking forward to this one since it was announced.

[MENTION=135526]leonidas_alexandar[/MENTION]

When is Diego Sanchez fighting next ? and what did you make of Matt Riddle's run, did he have world title potential if he stopped smoking weed ?

If I am not wrong Diego Sanchez has reached the end of his contract with UFC - his last fight in his contract ended with a loss to Michael Chiesa. I actually felt sad for him because he was fighting on the prelim card. This guy is a true legend and hall of famer in my book. There was time he was winning "Fight of the year" bouts in a row.

Matt Riddle is one of those "What If" classic stories, he was on a tear with 5 consecutive wins (of course I am putting aside the ones that got overturned due to his drug test failures). He was one of those rare fighters who had a terrific take down defense (comes with the territory with him being a wrestler) plus a very efficient striker. Yep he definitely had a chance at the Middleweight title in my opinion.

Actually what is Matt doing now?

I think Adesanya is probably one of the few fighters who has the speed and agility to beat Whittaker who is a one man wrecking machine. Been looking forward to this one since it was announced.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely love watching Adesanya - this is going to be such a great matchup with Bobby Knuckles. Cannot wait for thisreally to begin.

If I am not wrong Diego Sanchez has reached the end of his contract with UFC - his last fight in his contract ended with a loss to Michael Chiesa. I actually felt sad for him because he was fighting on the prelim card. This guy is a true legend and hall of famer in my book. There was time he was winning "Fight of the year" bouts in a row.

Matt Riddle is one of those "What If" classic stories, he was on a tear with 5 consecutive wins (of course I am putting aside the ones that got overturned due to his drug test failures). He was one of those rare fighters who had a terrific take down defense (comes with the territory with him being a wrestler) plus a very efficient striker. Yep he definitely had a chance at the Middleweight title in my opinion.

Actually what is Matt doing now?

Matt left for pro-wrestling after MMA career ended, he shockingly picked it all up at a rapid pace and became one of the leading independent circuit performers; then an even bigger shock, he was hired by WWE who are so PC despite his background history. They have somehow managed to make him a lot more disciplined and focused, I think the environment also has an affect on you and perhaps that MMA locker-room culture bought out the worst in him. He isn't Jon Jones so it was easy for Dana to let go of him and perhaps rightly so to teach the kid a lesson, Dana said something along the lines of him being proud of Matt recently; but I feel as if an MMA return is unlikely for him but who knows, he is in a good spot at the moment.

Oh really? that is a shame, I loved to tune into his fights, always found him so entertaining, that bloke had a death wish every time he fought lol I agree, he should be in the HOF ; also think in another era he could have been a champ at lightweight but the division has been strong more often then not. He doesn't belong on the prelims, maybe he will end up at Bellator now

I think Adesanya is probably one of the few fighters who has the speed and agility to beat Whittaker who is a one man wrecking machine. Been looking forward to this one since it was announced.

I absolutely love watching Adesanya - this is going to be such a great matchup with Bobby Knuckles. Cannot wait for thisreally to begin.[/QUOTE]

Do you think Adesanya can beat Whittaker with a KO/TKO or will it go the distance?

Watching prelims - PITOLO vs POTTER. Sometimes these no name fighters can put up a great show. Who knows maybe we are watching a future great.

I absolutely love watching Adesanya - this is going to be such a great matchup with Bobby Knuckles. Cannot wait for thisreally to begin.

Do you think Adesanya can beat Whittaker with a KO/TKO or will it go the distance?[/QUOTE]

Adesanya is the TKO king (early part of his career) - cant actually remember him finishing off with an actual knock out though. Well I do hope this fight goes all the 5 rounds.

Whittaker is definitely a different beast so a TKO could be unlikely. But realistically as you know this could go either way.

Last edited:
The PPV rounds begin - and what a beginning - with an absolute bang - knockout in the first round by Yorgan De Castro. Tafa was actually walking in when he caught the punch on his chin - Tafa's forward momentum became his undoing as he basically walked into a punch.

What a privilege watching Adesanya fight. Very nimble on the feet, a very cerebral fighter. A beautiful fighter to watch.

Hahahah Paulo "Borrachinha" Costa and Adesanya got some real heat. That will a super awesome fight.

Anyone who does not know about Costa - please watch his fight against Yoel Romero. That was a war.

I will be so pumped whenever Costa and Adesanya are going to face off.

New Zealand's Israel Adesanya extended his perfect professional record to 18-0 as he dethroned UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker in spectacular fashion at UFC 243 in Melbourne, Australia.

Adesanya, 30, arrived in the arena to an acrobatic choreographed dance routine and produced a near-punch-perfect performance to finish Whittaker after three minutes and 33 seconds of the second round and capture the undisputed UFC middleweight title in front of nearly 60,000 fans at Marvel Stadium.

Whittaker started out throwing a host of power shots but Adesanya was loose and slick on his feet in the opening round, and delivered a stunning right hand in the final seconds that sent Whittaker crashing to the canvas as the buzzer saved the champion from a first-round defeat.

A similar counter right hook from Adesanya found its mark early in the second round as the interim champion began to turn up the heat, but a powerful left from the defending champion showed the challenger would have to be on his guard against Whittaker's power.

And, as the pair started to trade big shots in the middle of the octagon, Adesanya planted his feet and answered a straight right from Whittaker with a stunning right-left combination to send him down, with referee Marc Goddard stepping in to spare the Australian further punishment as the Kiwi moved in to apply the finishing touches on the ground.

Former kickboxing star Adesanya exploded onto the global MMA scene only last year after arriving in the UFC with an undefeated 11-0 record. The Kiwi then reeled off six successive wins inside the octagon, culminating in his victory over Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 236 in April that saw him capture the interim middleweight title in a Fight of the Year contender in Atlanta.

That victory set up an all-Antipodean clash with returning world champion Whittaker in Melbourne, with the bout pitting the hard-hitting Australian against the undefeated rising star from New Zealand.

The event set a new attendance record for the UFC, with 57,127 fans packing Marvel Stadium on fight night. That figure topped the previous record of 56,214 held by the same stadium at UFC 193, when Holly Holm dramatically knocked out Ronda Rousey to capture the UFC women's bantamweight title back in November 2015.

And, on the biggest stage of his career, Adesanya stepped up and delivered a huge performance to cap his journey from fan to world champion.

"I was in the nosebleeds," he told UFC commentator Jon Anik in his post-fight interview. "Now I made his nose bleed.

"He threw everything we expected. We had everything from his Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. We had everything up to Plan Z."

Adesanya's first test as undisputed middleweight champion looks set to come against hulking Brazilian contender Paulo Costa, who was a prominent figure at cageside on fight night.

Like Adesanya, "Borrachinha" (translation: "The Eraser") is also undefeated, and the Brazilian has blitzed his way to the number-one contender spot with four straight TKO finishes, followed by a hard-earned decision win over Cuba's former Olympic wrestler Yoel Romero.

Now the 28-year-old from Belo Horizonte looks set to challenge Adesanya, and has already made no secret of his dislike for the self-confident Kiwi, labelling him "skinny", while the new champion described the musclebound Brazilian as looking like an "over-inflated balloon animal".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/49950118

Adesanya looked so good. He is such a pure striker. Some people are saying he can take on Jonny bones but I just dont see it.

Do you think Adesanya can beat Whittaker with a KO/TKO or will it go the distance?

Adesanya is the TKO king (early part of his career) - cant actually remember him finishing off with an actual knock out though. Well I do hope this fight goes all the 5 rounds.

Whittaker is definitely a different beast so a TKO could be unlikely. But realistically as you know this could go either way.[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling he would win by KO.

Adesanya is one heck of an athlete but it was an easy win for him. Whittaker was lunging forward hoping to connect with a big shot but left himself wide open.

Paulo Costa will be a different story and a 50/50 fight.

Adesanya looked so good. He is such a pure striker. Some people are saying he can take on Jonny bones but I just dont see it.

Different weight class so not likely to ever happen. Adesanya is my type of fighter. Pure speed and agility combining to beat brute force. I just don't see anyone around who can beat him unless you get a middleweight version of Khabib who can get him to the ground. The guy is a sniper, best fighter to watch since Anderson Silva in his pomp.

Whittaker is definitely a different beast so a TKO could be unlikely. But realistically as you know this could go either way.

I had a feeling he would win by KO.

Adesanya is one heck of an athlete but it was an easy win for him. Whittaker was lunging forward hoping to connect with a big shot but left himself wide open.

Paulo Costa will be a different story and a 50/50 fight.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha you had a psychic inkling of what was to come.

To be fair to Whittaker in the first round I noticed Whittaker was actually touching Adesanya quite a lot. Basically my feeling was that Whittaker's game plan was heavily influenced by Kevin Gastelum's fight with Adesanya where Kevin nearly beat Adesanya but for the last round which Israel ran away with.

Quite incredibly Adesanya warned Whittaker in days leading up to the fight that - do not attempt to copy Kevin's game plan because I am a very adaptive fighter and I learn lessons quickly.

Bottom line Adesanya - a very well deserving and a dangerous Middleweight champion.

Different weight class so not likely to ever happen. Adesanya is my type of fighter. Pure speed and agility combining to beat brute force. I just don't see anyone around who can beat him unless you get a middleweight version of Khabib who can get him to the ground. The guy is a sniper, best fighter to watch since Anderson Silva in his pomp.

Adesanya and Jon Jones both have expressed their desire to fight each other several times this year. But it does not look realistic as Adesanya normally weighs around 175 and Jon Jones around 210 and that's too much of a weight gap.

But if it were to ever happen - even the fight God's would watch it.

Adesanya and Jon Jones both have expressed their desire to fight each other several times this year. But it does not look realistic as Adesanya normally weighs around 175 and Jon Jones around 210 and that's too much of a weight gap.

But if it were to ever happen - even the fight God's would watch it.

Israel weighted 184 on weighin day I believe. Which could possibly mean he walks around atleast 10-15 pounds higher.

IMO it isnt unrealistic that he could fight Jones after 3-4 fights.

Israel weighted 184 on weighin day I believe. Which could possibly mean he walks around atleast 10-15 pounds higher.

IMO it isnt unrealistic that he could fight Jones after 3-4 fights.

Adesanya is one of those fighters who never had any weight cutting issues because I remember him telling in an interview that generally that is the weight he normally is at anyway i.e. around 180. If anything it is easier for him to go down a weight class to welterweight.

I agree with you that Adesanya and Jon Jones could happen because of 3 reasons:

1. Adesanya and Jon Jones genuinely seem to have a beef.
2. Because of reason above - that means any potential future bout could be a money spinner for both fighters.
3. Because of reason 2 - UFC would really be keen to book this fight as it will surely be a headline PPV fight guaranteed to sell heavily.

The fight will only happen if Adesanya moves up a weight class as Jon Jones would never come down to Middleweight.

unlike someone like Yoel Romero

I intended to delete the last sentence about Romero as I wanted to make some other point but changed my mind to edit it out - but could not as I surpassed the editing window time lol.

Saturday October 12 - its Fight Night 161 with the main event featuring JOANNA JEDRZEJCZYK vs MICHELLE WATERSON in the straw weight division.

Joanna is one of the few female fighters I really enjoy watching fight. In her last 4 fights she lost 3 of them - 2 to Rose Namajunas and 1 to Valentina Shevchenko.

I'd like to see how she bounces back.

Saturday October 12 - its Fight Night 161 with the main event featuring JOANNA JEDRZEJCZYK vs MICHELLE WATERSON in the straw weight division.

Joanna is one of the few female fighters I really enjoy watching fight. In her last 4 fights she lost 3 of them - 2 to Rose Namajunas and 1 to Valentina Shevchenko.

I'd like to see how she bounces back.

It's Joanna CHAMPION! :ashwin when you look at how the title has been passed around like musical chairs it just shows you what a great champion she was, the karatie hottie is no mug and it will be another great test; specifically because she needs to overcome that mental barrier once that aura of invincibility no longer exists, she's a warrior but defeat affects fighters in different ways. I still think Thug Rose is the most complete fighter in the division, her striking is very under rated; she made the foolish mistake of fighting away in Brazil, she's a very interesting character; she's not attached to the sport or glory, fighting is personal for her so am not surprised that her retirement is possible, after all what more was there to achieve when you beat one of the all time great champions not once but twice; I feel her standing in the P4P ranking was never truly recognised because those feats were worthy of a top 2 position

Fight Night 161 -

Holy Cow this prelim fight between Davis and Gifford is so difficult to watch - Davis is absolutely beating the crap out of Gifford.

I've rarely seen such a one sided contest - I am worried that Gifford might die tonight or seriously get injured.

It's Joanna CHAMPION! :ashwin when you look at how the title has been passed around like musical chairs it just shows you what a great champion she was, the karatie hottie is no mug and it will be another great test; specifically because she needs to overcome that mental barrier once that aura of invincibility no longer exists, she's a warrior but defeat affects fighters in different ways. I still think Thug Rose is the most complete fighter in the division, her striking is very under rated; she made the foolish mistake of fighting away in Brazil, she's a very interesting character; she's not attached to the sport or glory, fighting is personal for her so am not surprised that her retirement is possible, after all what more was there to achieve when you beat one of the all time great champions not once but twice; I feel her standing in the P4P ranking was never truly recognised because those feats were worthy of a top 2 position

Thug Rose - I've never been more enchanted by a fighter in the female division. The fight she lost in Brazil - she dominated every second of the fight - her footwork is other worldly. Hopefully she steps back in the Octagon soon.

Dern might face the 1st loss of her career if she does not get either a knockout or a submission. Otherwise this is Ribas' fight.

Back