Tim Bresnan: The new Kapil Dev?

I remember a series where Bresnan averaged 20 with the ball and 40 with the bat; I think it was the same series where India received their first of the back-to-back Test whitewashes, lost the number one ranking, and thus began their long descent into inferiority.

nd the rest of us remember it was 2 years ago. :)

Re: Bresnan: the New Kapil Dev?

Unbelievable. With the amount of faux-ATG ammunition these folks have got, you would think they would be comfortable table toppers in test and odi.

Yes, I'll imagine you'll never forget it in India, given the utter embarrassment and long-lasting trauma that it caused.

You would know more about embarrassments being an English fan. :)

India's win-loss rate in Test cricket would be a good starting point in terms of embarrassments.

I guess inventing a game and then being schooled by West Indies, Aussies and later on even by the likes of Pakistan and India is more embarrassing. :) Cricket was a foreign sport to us and we always lacked better training facilities, no real shame in being late bloomers. Now that we have sorted it out, we have won 3 more ICC tourneys and actually held the #1 test rank crown longer than you have.

Unbelievable. With the amount of faux-ATG ammunition these folks have got, you would think they would be comfortable table toppers in test and odi.

That 2010-11 period was all a giant whirlwind of hype, all on the basis of moderate achievements ranging from a silly World T20, to results against poorly personnel-ed Australia and India, two sides versus whom they were powerless and feeble for the decades past.

Slightly inexperienced in success are the Poms, and thus they got carried away for a bit until Pakistan, Lanka and South Africa collectively brought them down to earth a year later, and their greater successes since (India in India being the most pertinent of them) have been met with far more cautious applause.

They've learnt it you would think, but don't be surprised if you catch the wailing once more, after a potential 10-0 in the months to come. "Bell the new Ponting?", so on and so forth.

I guess inventing a game and then being schooled by West Indies, Aussies and later on even by the likes of Pakistan and India is more embarrassing. :) Cricket was a foreign sport to us and we always lacked better training facilities, no real shame in being late bloomers. Now that we have sorted it out, we have won 3 more ICC tourneys and actually held the #1 test rank crown longer than you have.

ouch. This is deep :amir

The number of Test tours you have won in Australia and South Africa, which in total between the two nations reads zero, is testament to your lack of impact on the truest form of the game. This level of smarminess and arrogance would be passable if you were an Aussie - but an Indian, really?

The number of Test tours you have won in Australia and South Africa, which in total between the two nations reads zero, is testament to your lack of impact on the truest form of the game. This level of smarminess and arrogance would be passable if you were an Aussie - but an Indian, really?

You're just upset regarding something i don't know. No one is showing arrogance apart from you, saying Indian fans being in inferiority complex and suffering from trauma etc lol. Please, English cricket has been regularly suffering from more brutal spankings at the hands of West Indies and Aussies for ages. Tell me how inferior and traumatized do you feel regarding that?

Last edited:
You're just upset regarding something i don't know. No one is showing arrogance apart from you, saying Indian fans being in inferiority complex and suffering from trauma etc lol. Please, English cricket has been regularly suffering from more brutal spankings at the hands of West Indies and Aussies for ages. Tell me how inferior and traumatized do you feel regarding that?

F_C bro on fire :AAG :kohli

Bresnan needs to grow a thick mustache first, grow an afro and lead England to their first World Cup title.

13475.player.jpg

I know most people don't rate Kapil highly but Bresnan? seriously?

That 2010-11 period was all a giant whirlwind of hype, all on the basis of moderate achievements ranging from a silly World T20, to results against poorly personnel-ed Australia and India, two sides versus whom they were powerless and feeble for the decades past.

Well, you can only beat what's put in front of you.

Between about 1980-2000 the England and Wales County system was unfit for the purpose of producing international cricketers.

Now that has changed and the positive results are coming.

As Robert mentions above, England were mediocre and there for the taking for the large parts of last two decades. So should we start disregarding the achievements of the Aussies, WI and Pak ?

Ever since the introduction of central contracts and a move towards a more consistent selection policy in 2000, England has been the only team along with Australia to have won a test series in all test playing nations. Something for the billions of cricket crazies in the sub continent to admire and respect :D

You have got to envy England - there is a Bradman(Cook), a Richards(Trott), a Kapil and a Hadlee(Broad)!

That's why they have been whipping strong teams like SA. Oh, wait!

Ouch. This hurts - even me.

i love it when all the bharat mata defenders come running at the same time

Do you have only one mode of comprehending and replying in general?
Correct me, You were the one who was ranting that sachin wont be as popular as he is now had he been a muslim ?

I know most people don't rate Kapil highly but Bresnan? seriously?

LOL what? Most people dont rate Kapil Dev? I think a lot of those people (not even sure if such fools exist) need to grow up then and learn more about cricket. Kapil Dev was a phenomenal player, his record against West Indies both with the ba and the ball alone secures his place amonmg the very best to have ever graced the cricket field.

Bresnan is already better than any Indian 'bowler' ever to play game. I'd rather have him in my team than the mediocre DEv.

You have got to envy England - there is a Bradman(Cook), a Richards(Trott), a Kapil and a Hadlee(Broad)!

That's why they have been whipping strong teams like SA. Oh, wait!

Yep, yesterday! :)

LOL what? Most people dont rate Kapil Dev? I think a lot of those people (not even sure if such fools exist) need to grow up then and learn more about cricket. Kapil Dev was a phenomenal player, his record against West Indies both with the ba and the ball alone secures his place amonmg the very best to have ever graced the cricket field.

not only that Kapil's str: rate of 80.91 in tests in his time was the best, far out weighing the next best 69.23 of Viv Richards.and this when the str: rate under 55 was the norm. and he was much better a bowler than his record suggests for a number of reasons.to add to that his brilliant fielding and one day greatness.to me he was either on a par with Imran khan or just slightly behind

To be fair to the OP, Bresnan did show qualities which Dev showed through out his career during the series vs India. However thats where the comparison stops. Dev's record vs the best side of his era the WI is up there with the best and he single handedly won India the WC in 83.............

not only that Kapil's str: rate of 80.91 in tests in his time was the best, far out weighing the next best 69.23 of Viv Richards.and this when the str: rate under 55 was the norm. and he was much better a bowler than his record suggests for a number of reasons.to add to that his brilliant fielding and one day greatness.to me he was either on a par with Imran khan or just slightly behind

With the bat alone, Kapil Dev outperformed many popular batsmen of his time against the West Indian bowlers.

Only talking about batting, he was always hurting the Windies with the ball as well. Anyone who does not understand Kapil's status as a legend does not know his cricket.

With the bat alone, Kapil Dev outperformed many popular batsmen of his time against the West Indian bowlers.

Only talking about batting, he was always hurting the Windies with the ball as well. Anyone who does not understand Kapil's status as a legend does not know his cricket.

Ditto! Kapil was an under achiever though, he had much more talent than his stats suggest.

^

Kapil was an over achiever. A massive over achiever, please get a grip. India had not known a player like Kapil before him, and 20 years after his retirement we still have not found an all rounder half as good as Kapil. We found Jadeja and we called him Sir, thats how our standards have dropped, with no disrespect to Ser Jaadu. May the gods forgive me, but Kapil was a dream of a player for Indians. He alone was our bowling line-up, an absolute work horse.

Only people who don't want to rate Kapil are pakistanis and thats because of a serious inferiority complex they feel when kapil name is taken. For them, Imran was a big thing because he won the world cup, what they don't want to remember is Kapil won it 8 years before Imran and when Kapil was 24 years old. Like a real lion, he went to England and conquered all the western countries and WI to win the WC on his own. Till 1992, pakistanis players used to look at Kapil with awe, so much so that Imran was ready to loose test matches but he had instructed his players not to give wicket to Kapil. So deep rooted was his and their inferiority complex. Imran may be the cornered tiger, Kapil was the roaring lion who went out and thrashed everyone to win the WC.

haha..that was way below the belt :p

100 years after inventing the game, they finally have a team that wins more than looses, and you are spoiling the kid's fun..bad on u

Only people who don't want to rate Kapil are pakistanis and thats because of a serious inferiority complex they feel when kapil name is taken. For them, Imran was a big thing because he won the world cup, what they don't want to remember is Kapil won it 8 years before Imran and when Kapil was 24 years old. Like a real lion, he went to England and conquered all the western countries and WI to win the WC on his own. Till 1992, pakistanis players used to look at Kapil with awe, so much so that Imran was ready to loose test matches but he had instructed his players not to give wicket to Kapil. So deep rooted was his and their inferiority complex. Imran may be the cornered tiger, Kapil was the roaring lion who went out and thrashed everyone to win the WC.

Please do not judge Pak fans by a few trolls. Majority of them social and true cricket lovers from Pak respect the good ones from India just as much as anyone would. Majority of the Indians happily admitted to Imran being a better allrounder ages ago, there is no shame in it.

Last edited:
To those comparing Kapil with Imran; Kapil was a very good cricketer arguably best from India but Imran as a cricketer is in the league of Bradman, Sobers. It is Extremely difficult to be an ATG Genuine fast bowler and a good technique batsman, which Imran was. Kapil will struggle to make into any all time XI on the other hand Imran is a strong contender for captaining an all time XI. Moreover, Kapil is not an ATG bowler or batsman.

^

If Kapil isn;'t an ATG bowler then i would say Pakistan hasnt produced an ATG batsman. Can't have it both ways, and you would not see many Indians getting serious about Imran-Kapil comparisons. Imran was just better, end of. Kapil knows it, we know it, they know it. Yet, Kapil was a legend and in his own style, could be better than Imran in many ways. Is that too tough to understand?

Last edited:

What about small matter of starting fast bowling tradition in subcontinent from scratch and developing a far more talented team than that he captained???

^

If Kapil isn;'t an ATG bowler then i would say Pakistan hasnt produced an ATG batsman. Can't have it both ways, and you would not see many Indians getting serious about Imran-Kapil comparisons. Imran was just better, end of. Kapil knows it, we know it, they know it. Yet, Kapil was a legend and in his own style, could be better than Imran in many ways. Is that too tough to understand?

ATG top 10 no, ATG top 20 yes.

ATG top 10 no, ATG top 20 yes.

Sure, no problem in that. People often get pushed down statistically. WG Grace, where would one rate him today as a batsman? A great is a great, he may lose out on numbers but it is what hye did in his era what really matters. Kapil was a top gun in his time, competed with the best players and shined as bright as anyone.

Beautiful post, summmed it up quite well, Imran's cornered tiger speech was probably his biggest contribution to the 92 WC winning Pak side, which is not worthy of comparison to Dev's performance in 83 WC... Lets be honest if weather didnt come into play Imran would not have a WC....

I think not a lot of Indians think Kapil is better or equal to Imran. Kapil's some of the real plus points were

a) He proved himself a champion against a champion side (WI) with both bat and fall, and with his exceptional fielding. At times, Kapil dev handled the WI pace quartet like club bowlers on their own soil, not even top batsmen can boast of that.

b) Exceptional scoring ability - you could never tie down Kapil no matter how good a bowler you are - if you don't get him, he is going to clobber you. Kapil dev played fast bowling very well. In ODIs, Kapil was quite capable of getting 50 or 60 off 5 in the 80s, which very few batsmen could do at that time. His ODI S/R of near 100 in the 80s is quite incredible. Test strike rate is even more impressive.

c) As a bowler, he had to toil alone without much support on Indian wickets that rarely assisted pace bowling. If he had a good support bowler, his bowling stats would have been much better.

Imran was a different beast with the ball though, he competes with the greatest bowlers of all time in that department only. Kapil was a great bowler, not among the greatest. Having said that he is a genuine legend of the game which is the whole point.

I think not a lot of Indians think Kapil is better or equal to Imran. Kapil's some of the real plus points were

a) He proved himself a champion against a champion side (WI) with both bat and fall, and with his exceptional fielding. At times, Kapil dev handled the WI pace quartet like club bowlers on their own soil, not even top batsmen can boast of that.

b) Exceptional scoring ability - you could never tie down Kapil no matter how good a bowler you are - if you don't get him, he is going to clobber you. Kapil dev played fast bowling very well. In ODIs, Kapil was quite capable of getting 50 or 60 off 5 in the 80s, which very few batsmen could do at that time. His ODI S/R of near 100 in the 80s is quite incredible. Test strike rate is even more impressive.

c) As a bowler, he had to toil alone without much support on Indian wickets that rarely assisted pace bowling. If he had a good support bowler, his bowling stats would have been much better.

dude, forget all this..his biggest achievement till date is that he was just 24 yrs old kid, when he captained a divided team and still won the WC defeating WI twice in the tournament. Both Imran and Kapil were of same age, but when Imran was still honing the skill of scratching the ball, Kapil Dev was sitting in his room with legs resting on the centre table and with a WC trophy beside him. And mind it the biggest asset of the legend was that when the chips were down, he would just stroll into the stadium and win the match by himself.

I don't give a damn if he would get into someone's ATG team because those things are just figment of imagination, which has no relevance in real world. We will never have a team consisting of Bradman and Mcgrath playing so those discussions in my view are to put it mildly stupid and kiddish. Kapil instilled confidence in a nation hungry for success in mid 80s, and that to me is far more important thing than anything else. Read the initial interviews of most players of early 90s including SRT, Kambli, Srinath, Ganguly, Dravid and you will find one thing in common - 1983 WC win inspired them to play cricket for India.

Last edited:
^

Kapil was an over achiever. A massive over achiever, please get a grip. .

Come on FC, Dev underachieved so bad it was criminal, he can show up against the WI but cant show up against sides that cant even tie the shoe laces of WI like ENG & NZ ??? Come on mannn......

Last edited:
dude, forget all this..his biggest achievement till date is that he was just 24 yrs old kid, when he captained a divided team and still won the WC defeating WI twice in the tournament. Both Imran and Kapil were of same age, but when Imran was still honing the skill of scratching the ball, Kapil Dev was sitting in his room with legs resting on the centre table and with a WC trophy beside him. And mind it the biggest asset of the legend was that when the chips were down, he would just stroll into the stadium and win the match by himself.

I don't give a damn if he would get into someone's ATG team because those things are just figment of imagination, which has no relevance in real world. We will never have a team consisting of Bradman and Mcgrath playing so those discussions in my view are to put it mildly stupid and kiddish. Kapil instilled confidence in a nation hungry for success in mid 80s, and that to me is far more important thing than anything else. Read the initial interviews of most players of early 90s including SRT, Kambli, Srinath, Ganguly, Dravid and you will find one thing in common - 1983 WC win inspired them to play cricket for India.

WC is one thing, but I personally liked how Kapil toyed the likes of Marshall, Roberts, Holding et al. How many cricketers have that on their resume?

100 of 95 against Marshall, Roberts, Holding, Garner at Trinidad

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63336.html

98 from 97 against Roberts, Holding, Marshal, Davis at Antigua

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63339.html

Those are the knockjs any tier-1 batting great would cherish for the rest of his life, only that not many of the tier-1 batsman have actually hit them. :kapil

Epic knocks, here is a short clip of Dev batting vs the WI wish there were more;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwrLm6ojzf8

100 of 95 against Marshall, Roberts, Holding, Garner at Trinidad

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63336.html

98 from 97 against Roberts, Holding, Marshal, Davis at Antigua

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63339.html

Those are the knockjs any tier-1 batting great would cherish for the rest of his life, only that not many of the tier-1 batsman have actually hit them. :kapil

Not a single batsman has knocked the wind out of the WI at their home like that. Kapil dev has hit the only run a ball fifty and run a ball hundred against the WI side of the 80s, in their own den. :bow:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...an;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

To those comparing Kapil with Imran; Kapil was a very good cricketer arguably best from India but Imran as a cricketer is in the league of Bradman, Sobers. It is Extremely difficult to be an ATG Genuine fast bowler and a good technique batsman, which Imran was. Kapil will struggle to make into any all time XI on the other hand Imran is a strong contender for captaining an all time XI. Moreover, Kapil is not an ATG bowler or batsman.

your point is that Kapil can't be even compared to Imran and that is where it is difficult to agree.Imran may be one of the all time great bowlers but Kapil is not far behind.the problem is with just plainly looking at the test bowling figures of both. there is much more to his bowling than his figures actually suggest in Kapil's case. also in one days where
'econ rate' is the most important , Kapil is the slightly better bowler.and though Imran was a bit more technically sound batsman, Kapil with his dominant style of play was a clearly better batsman.and no comparison in fielding though Imran was better as captain.

Bresnan doesnt even compare as a bowler in the handful of matches he's played, let alone batting and leadership. :kapil

though Imran was a bit more technically sound batsman, Kapil with his dominant style of play was a clearly better batsman.

And he got three centuries against WI in tests. This is a considerable plus in his favour.

I thought that Botham was the best batter of the four '80s all-rounders but Kapil's success against WI, combined with his extremely high batting rate has made me reconsider.

And he got three centuries against WI in tests. This is a considerable plus in his favour.

I thought that Botham was the best batter of the four '80s all-rounders but Kapil's success against WI, combined with his extremely high batting rate has made me reconsider.

Kapil could not replicate his phenomenal success year after year. But Imran remained a good batsman and accumulator throughout his career, that is a plus point in favor of Imran.

If I have to choose a batsman at his peak form and ability from the four all rounders of the 80s, I would go in this order - Kapil, Botham, Imran, Hadlee. But I were looking for a stable middle order batsman I would go with Imran, Botham, Kapil, Hadlee

Kapil was a natural stroke player. A player of very rare ability, who could field superbly anywhere, bowl tirelessly and bat fearlessly. Kapil scored at such a brisk pace with orthodox cricketing shots with superb footwork against spinners and he was a fierce hooker and puller. Kapil was a player who could change a game with bat or ball. Still to me, for all his exploits, Kapil never fulfilled his true potential with the bat :(

Tim Bresnan is a fine player but to compare him in his short little career with one of the great allrounders of the game is unfair to both him and to Kapil. Tim Bresnan still has a long way to go in his career and may be we can compare him with Kapil after he plays consistently for another 5 to 7 years.

K

Tim Bresnan is a fine player but to compare him in his short little career with one of the great allrounders of the game is unfair to both him and to Kapil.

I'm really surprised that so many have taken the OP seriously.... it was tongue-in-cheek, based on Bressie's performances in the home tests against India, bouncing good batters out and scoring a powerful 90.

Since then he has picked up in injuries and his bowling has lost potency. He'll struggle to stay in the LO squads now, let alone the test side.

Kapil Dev is not even an all-rounder but a bowling specialist. He's nothing compared to Imran Khan.

I'm really surprised that so many have taken the OP seriously.... it was tongue-in-cheek, based on Bressie's performances in the home tests against India, bouncing good batters out and scoring a powerful 90.

Since then he has picked up in injuries and his bowling has lost potency. He'll struggle to stay in the LO squads now, let alone the test side.

Sure, I know the quality of your posts but could not stop responding on this :)

Bresnan has a burly physique more suited to contact sports than to cricket, may be that could be the reason for his injuries. He does not seem to be loose limbed when he bowls, seems to exert lots of pressure. Hope he fulfills his initial promise in the coming years.

Bits and pieces Bresnan has had his purple patch.Now begins the slide into obscurity and he'll be forgotten soon.I give him a year tops.

batting figures

Kapil dev: runs/inns 28.52 str: rate :80.91
Botham: runs/inns 32.3 str: rate :60.71
Imran : runs/inns 30.21 str: rate :47.52
Viv : runs/inns 46.92 str: rate :69.28

above data shows how dominant Kapil was. another important matter w.r.t Kapil was the larger his average individual score the higher the str: rate. once he crossed 34 this str: rate climbed to 88.39 on the average. ...and once he crossed 74 this str: rate climbed to 96.45 on the average. the same level of acceleration was not the case with other players of the above.to put this in context Viv's str:rate remained the same(69.41)
even when he crossed 74 on the average. ..and Kapil could maintain the str: rate almost uniformly across all playing conditions too, unlike the others

Nice to see that Indians can't praise Kapil, without having a go at Imran. Awesome by pungi to demonstrate that.

Too bad only a few Indians AND Pakistanis see that both were great players on their own

Afridi has a better average and better S/R than Kapil in test cricket

Afridi is a better batsman than Kapil in tests :afridi

Forget Kapil, Afridi has a better S/R than Afridi and Bradman, he dominated the bowlers more than them

Tim Bresnan is a very good cricketer.

When he first came on to the scene he didnt look so good but he has developed into a extremley reliable performer. He looks the part and will be around for England for a long time.

P.s He is finaly bowling with zip again since he has had his elbow operation.

Bresnan: the New Kapil Dev?

Woakes is better than him.

Nice to see that Indians can't praise Kapil, without having a go at Imran. Awesome by pungi to demonstrate that.

Too bad only a few Indians AND Pakistanis see that both were great players on their own

from my point of view , i am only highlighting the positive aspects of Kapil's batting.for that purpose only just mentioning Imran and others here.not belittiling Imran by any means.infact Imran is one of the all time legend players for me. So is Kapil

pls have a thorough check of Afridi's longevity, calibre of bowlers he faced,distribution of his runs in different conditions etc etc and compare that with Kapil's record

Last edited:
pls have a thorough check of Afridi's longevity, calibre of bowlers he faced,distribution of his runs in different conditions etc etc and compare that with Kapil's record

Sachin and Dravid also faced the same bowlers... except their own. So what is you point?

Kapil v Imran is like a Gower v (a latter day) Gooch comparison. Gower was more talented, more fun to watch, a "better" batsman is many senses of the term. Gooch was more dependable and would easily win a 'bat for my life' contest. But there is no question on which of the two you would want to watch bat when they were at their best.

Kapil had an occasional Afrdi streak in him that ruined several matches. The slog to deep midwicket in the 1987 SF, and the first ball duck to Greg Matthews in in the 1986 WSC final, for instance. You can't imagine Imran losing the match from such positions.

Kapil v Imran is like a Gower v (a latter day) Gooch comparison. Gower was more talented, more fun to watch, a "better" batsman is many senses of the term. Gooch was more dependable and would easily win a 'bat for my life' contest. But there is no question on which of the two you would want to watch bat when they were at their best.

Good analogy.

Sachin and Dravid also faced the same bowlers... except their own. So what is you point?

If they are talking about entertainment and judging batsmen on their SR merit then clearly Afridi >> Kapil.

Only looking at West Indies as an opponent then Afridi averages 53.50 with a strike rate of 108.62 in West Indies :afridi

Afridi was a better entertainer than Kapil. Who can forget his boom boom shots against Bhajji

If they are talking about entertainment and judging batsmen on their SR merit then clearly Afridi >> Kapil.

Only looking at West Indies as an opponent then Afridi averages 53.50 with a strike rate of 108.62 in West Indies :afridi

Afridi was a better entertainer than Kapil. Who can forget his boom boom shots against Bhajji

Afridi better entertainer than Kapil? I think you got that horribly wrong. Afridi isn't fit to tie Kapil's shoe laces, Kapil beats him at every skill in cricket. Ev en the smile is more trolling. :kapil

The more i read your posts, the more i pity your mental condition.

Someone should donate you a half decent brain.

Afridi better entertainer than Kapil? I think you got that horribly wrong. Afridi isn't fit to tie Kapil's shoe laces, Kapil beats him at every skill in cricket. Ev en the smile is more trolling. :kapil

Afridi is a better entertainer than Kapil.
Kapil is better than Afridi and so are many other players.

But there is and only will be one Afridi.

:afridi

0(1), even this is entertaining.

Back