Varun Aaron - New Indian Genuine pacer

I hope his journey ahead doesn't follow the usual trend

he'll be at 130 in two years time..it is inevitable!! Indian pace bowler is an oxymoron!

the hype if he does well in a first season, the lifestyle, the workload will ensure he is finished before he starts!! soon as he does well in an international game i can already seee the indian headlines:

"Varuun destroys <insert any team here>! "
"India finds new pace sensation. the puzzle is complete!"
"Varuun fastest bowler in the world"
"Akhter says varun can go far!"
"akram giving varun tips"

two years laters:
"varun dropped from indian side!"
"the promise that failed to deliver"
"where have the indian fast bowlers gone?"

He is nothing special....................he is 21+ already and barring pace,he has got nothing to offer;no swing,no seam and more importantly no variations............he just seems to be running in with only one purpose to ball fast,which he does(taking INDIAN parameters into consideration) and yet he is not able to go beyond 90 mph.............i see him becoming another IRFAN pseudo PATHAN in near future.....

He is nothing special....................he is 21+ already and barring pace,he has got nothing to offer;no swing,no seam and more importantly no variations............he just seems to be running in with only one purpose to ball fast,which he does(taking INDIAN parameters into consideration) and yet he is not able to go beyond 90 mph.............i see him becoming another IRFAN pseudo PATHAN in near future.....

What did you base that off of?!

Four overs on a flat pitch?

It'll be interesting to see which path he takes. I have a feeling he will be turned into a slow bowler sooner or later. Coaches will try to teach him about line and length and he'll cut his pace.

I don't see him as another Pathan. I see him as another Ishant Sharma. Let's see if he proves us wrong. :)

Hopefully selectors/coach will utilize him properly. I expect them to learn from previous mistakes and make sure bowlers are rotated properly.

The best thing about him is that he eats BEEF :)

I hope that factor alone keeps his as a fast bowler and not turn him into another trundler.

What did you base that off of?!

Four overs on a flat pitch?

It'll be interesting to see which path he takes. I have a feeling he will be turned into a slow bowler sooner or later. Coaches will try to teach him about line and length and he'll cut his pace.

I don't see him as another Pathan. I see him as another Ishant Sharma. Let's see if he proves us wrong. :)

why on this earth would you want that thing to happen???

As somebody mentioned somewhere in this thread that INDIAN BOWLING FAST IS AN OXYMORON..................

Unfortunatley the Indian hype machine will destroy him..also the amount of cricket these guys play means he won't last long..ipl, ranji, international..too much useless cricket on dead pitches..face facts, thanks to sachin a batsman is king in India..they should forget about real fast bowling!!

Unfortunatley the Indian hype machine will destroy him..also the amount of cricket these guys play means he won't last long..ipl, ranji, international..too much useless cricket on dead pitches..face facts, thanks to sachin a batsman is king in India..they should forget about real fast bowling!!

this !

there is too much cricket played by India and rest is important for a fast bowler's body . he will play for the team + IPL which is just too much . Even if he is the next :amir , he will not last long .

wow a genuine indian pacer. someone check his ID to make sure he isn't a closet pakistani :malik

Bollywood will be making their version of Fast Five . Sharma and Aaron have already been casted , the other 3 will be ShreeShanth , Irfan Pathan and Atul Sharma if rumours are to be believed

Bollywood will be making their version of Fast Five . Sharma and Aaron have already been casted , the other 3 will be ShreeShanth , Irfan Pathan and Atul Sharma if rumours are to be believed

it's going to be a definite hit within the borders of india :srk

I can't fathom this obsession over pace. Maybe Pakistani fans were more open about it while Indians were closeted it seems. There are 4-5 bowlers in India who can deliver close to 145, but what good is it if you don't have control and can't take wickets. Mohd Sami has pace to burn, did it serve him in any way.

I would rather have India winning which it is than have an average pace bowler just for the heck.

That is why great fast bowlers are so special . It is a rare thing to be able to bowl fast accurately .

11 FC matches (no great stats either) plus a few 50 over matches & T20s and we are already talking about an India cap !!! And that too just because he bowls 145+ !!!

- Does he have control to go with the pace? Swing / seam / variations ?

- Can he maintain that pace over a full day or two consecutive days - bowling 15-20 overs a day?

- Can he improve on his current FC record? It should not take much.

Let the selectors watch him over another FC season - play him in a few A tours (if we have any) rather than just fast tracking him to the Indian side.

He has a long way to go before he can think of the Indian team. Let him do well in Ranji trophy and IPL first.

Well, we talked about a Pakistan cap for Irfan didn't we? And that was mostly based on his height.

I think this kid will make it to team India though since he has age on his side. Let's hope they don't rush him in because of his ispeed :)

When is his next IPL match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will find out if he is genuine fast when he bowls at 90 mph consistently in a test match like Akhtar and Lee use to...This is IPL where he only has to bowl 4 overs, even Tanvir Ahmed was bowling pretty fast in a 20/20 and when it came to test his speed dropped ..There are lot of bowlers who can touch the 90 mph mark but consistenly bowling at that speed in test matches is a complete different ball game, only a few have actually achieved that mark.....

Last edited:
Varun cleaning up Gilly-
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sBfYizQ3kGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He is not playing today, what the heck is wrong with Sehwag??? This guy should be given as many chances as possible

11 FC matches (no great stats either) plus a few 50 over matches & T20s and we are already talking about an India cap !!! And that too just because he bowls 145+ !!!

- Does he have control to go with the pace? Swing / seam / variations ?

- Can he maintain that pace over a full day or two consecutive days - bowling 15-20 overs a day?

- Can he improve on his current FC record? It should not take much.

Let the selectors watch him over another FC season - play him in a few A tours (if we have any) rather than just fast tracking him to the Indian side.

Disagree with you completely. Thinking like this is the reason why we haven't yet produced express bowlers. You have got to take chances with a raw talent like this.

Why isn't Sehwag playing the kid? I love seeing pacers bowl even if he is Indian. Did he do anything wrong?

Really,, that where India sucks. We have never ever backed talents like this :(

Is he a lost cause already.

IPL is a tourney which any tom, dick, harry in Indian cricket gets to play. And if this man cant even be a regular in an IPL team then what are his chanc es of playing for India.

We are just happy with the Munafs and Nehras :(

I think we are better off at him not playing IPL. I think IPL is the perfect stage to spoil any youngster with the amount of hype and money. I would rather see this guy bowling in a test match. Coming back to the argument over here, I do believe he is fast enough to be termed genuinely quick...I just saw one of his videos and the kid was hitting 90mph quite consistently.

He isnt exactly a tearaway what Shoaib was at his best...Then again, Shoaib actually wasnt bowling at 100mph when he started ( as someone pointed out in this forum )...He actually gained that extra pace ( i mean, by shoaib's high standards coz he was always a 150 + bowler)...Again, Sami started off as a fast/medium but I was amazed to see him matching shoaib later...he was a genuine 155+ bowler...
I did watch a lot of Zahid, and never did it look to me that he was tearaway. I know a lot of Pakistani guys are going to pick me on this but I just cant help it. But then Zahid wasnt as enigmatic as Shoaib and speedguns werent so common when Zahid was at his best...But I didnt see a lot of batsmen being uncomfortable against him....
Hola my Indian and Pakistani friends....This is Amit with my first post here...Hope to be a regular...
Peace !

Disagree with you completely. Thinking like this is the reason why we haven't yet produced express bowlers. You have got to take chances with a raw talent like this.

Agree with FLC. You have guys who can bowl line and length, you have the quick bowler in there to bowl quick, shake it up and hopefully buy some wickets when nothing else is happening.

If you wait for the Indian Malcolm Marshall to appear out of thin air you will be waiting a while maan.

But can he bowl at the same pace if he has to bowl 15-20 overs a day ...maybe on two consecutive days? Most Indian bowlers crank up their speeds in the T20 format but are unable to sustain in the longer formats.

Forget being effective, can he even sustain his pace in longer formats? This is not a guy who has played a full season of FC cricket yet. In whatever he has played, his record is not that impressive - even though, playing for Jharkhand, he figures in the Plate League against the weaker teams. While 145kph may be a novelty for us, it is not as if batsmen around the world have never faced that speed ...so, why should he get a free pass into the national team?

He has been noticed ...so, he is no longer under the radar. Is it too much to expect the selectors to watch him in the forthcoming domestic season? Ignore the records, but atleast see how he goes in terms of maintaining his pace, at the bare minimum.

Incidentally, I did not see too much difference in speeds clocked by this guy and Umesh Yadav.

I saw him in the match against Kings XI Punjab where he got Gilchrist with a 145K delivery.

Umesh Yadav bowled one at 150.4 Kmph to Kohli only to see it race to boundary at the same speed. But he looked really sharp and continuously clocked speed in high 140s.

Hi Avidlearner..Thanks :)

Umesh yadav touched 150 ? Thats interesting however I am not going to jump off my seat coz this would have been an effort ball...
I agree with KIC that he needs to prove his mettle over a prolonged period of time. I mean Shaun tait does bowl at 155 , however he gets whacked for boundaries even by no 11 batsmen from Nepal...lolz ! So whats the use?

However, for a guy to bowl at that pace on dead ranchi, hazaribagh, jamshedpur pitches is quite commendable . I grew up in Patna so I know how these stadiums are...Absolutely no maintenance, and I will bet my life that in offseasons, you can see cows munching the grasses to glory inside the stadium...Thats the kind of maintenance the ground has...I would be interested to see how he bowls in SA, Aus, Eng...
But let the guy learn to bowl well ..I have been around for so long that I am used to such hypes...Munaf, VRV and numerous others have been such a disappointment..We dont want him to be one amongst them..So lets be mum now :)
Cheers

Are there any clips of Aaron from IPL?

Interesting to see how he does at "International level" whether he can produce the same same quality at International level.

It's exciting to see India produce a pacey bowler, but let's not forget that artistic bowlers are suceeding more then pace bowlers in today's cricket, but anything is possible... And let's hope he is delivered the right way and delivers the same potential when he get's the chance to play for India.

Quote from Varun Aaron on Wasim Akram...

However, the stint with Wasim Akram during KKR days proved to be helpful. "I got some invaluable tips from Akram during my KKR days. One of the main things he taught was how to get reverse swing with a ball which is less than 20 overs old."

Last edited:
I found at least 3 Indian dom bowlers quicker than him. Ishant, Dinda, Yadav.

Varun Aaron bowled 149.5 kph today against Punjab 4 overs for only 26 runs and also a drop catch on his bowling

Ok Ok... I did see him against CSK. He was pick of the bowlers. He is a fast bowler. Genuine pace. So what... Ishant used to be fast bowler... Look where is he now.

Ok Ok... I did see him against CSK. He was pick of the bowlers. He is a fast bowler. Genuine pace. So what... Ishant used to be fast bowler... Look where is he now.

Ishant is back to bowling over 140ks in this IPL.And Ishant was never genuine quick,he was/is a rhythm bowler.When in rhythm he can crank it upto even 150ks else more of a 135 to 140 k bowler

I see Umesh Yadav is more consistent with his pace..
Umesh regularly bowls over 140+ and few over 145+..

But varun bowls mostly in the range of 130 to 145 and few over 145+

wow someone should do a drug test on all these indian fast bowlers :asif :akhtar i bet they will get away with taking any sort of drugs thanks to the BCCI's power :zardari

Ishant is back to bowling over 140ks in this IPL.And Ishant was never genuine quick,he was/is a rhythm bowler.When in rhythm he can crank it upto even 150ks else more of a 135 to 140 k bowler

similar to umar gul in that regard

"Varun Aaron-New Indian Genuine pacer "

Then Who was previous one? Headline is misleading :akhtar

wow someone should do a drug test on all these indian fast bowlers :asif :akhtar i bet they will get away with taking any sort of drugs thanks to the BCCI's power :zardari

I do not think that the Indian bowlers are in any way in contact with their Pakistani counterparts..So I would very much doubt they would know anything about drugs...hahahaha ! :97::97::96:

Btw, the other genuine quickie was Javagal Srinath..Cricket Coach..Whether people believe it or not..But the fact would be fact !

This guy should be going to the WI, perfect opportunity ahead of the trip to England.

After seeing effort and commitment of likes of Sreesanth and RP Singh, this bowler should get chance in away matches.

Lol, funny thread. Are Indian fans still holding out hope for this guy?

That he will be a 'genuine pacer'..

I don't have high expectations that he will become real fast bowler or something like that.

He is quicker than some other bowlers and done well in emerging player tournament in Australia.

My point is that if RP Singh and Sreesanth can get chance then why not this guy.

Isn't he in the Srinath mould ? High 80s when in-form and touching 90 mph once in a year. More 'fast-medium' than express. But he can't do worse than RP Singh, that's for sure. :sami

Really surprising that some1 like RP gets called up. Why drop Mithun, why not try Umesh Yadav?

India wasted an opportunity to not try him out in WI or Eng. Did well in Emerging players tournament though, played a big part along with Vinay Kumar(I don't get how he does well though) in India's success there.

Really surprising that some1 like RP gets called up. Why drop Mithun, why not try Umesh Yadav?

Mithun seriously? and Umesh Yadav is being hyped up just because of his pace which is occasional. Varun consistently touches 90 mph and also did well in Australia where as Umesh averaged 40. Now if he averages 40 there, you could guess how well would he do in flat wickets.

Well has bowled at 150ks......and bowled well in the recently finished emerging players tournament.His Australian team Mates at DD where saying he was very quick.Wasim Akram aslo said that he was a consistently 90mph bowler.

There are 2 problems india has 1.finding a fast bowler and secondly the most important-giving him confidence by providing some good pitches at home as well,asking him to just go all out initially.also offer him enough rest and no need for him to play in tournaments like ipl.

zaheer khan once told this-"Here when people take up fast bowling,they are asked to lessen their speed as the first measure,simply because its useless to bowl fast in flat pitches,and you will only get more injuries".Only when this mentality goes,we will find some pacers.

Isn't he in the Srinath mould ? High 80s when in-form and touching 90 mph once in a year. More 'fast-medium' than express. But he can't do worse than RP Singh, that's for sure. :sami

Yeah, he is not express pace.
<hr>
Btw, he has been selected for the ODI series against England.

First bowler from Jharkhand to get chance in Indian team.

Last edited:
The title makes me laugh "New Indian Genuine Pacer"

Thats an oxymoron if i ever saw one!

The title makes me laugh "New Indian Genuine Pacer"

Thats an oxymoron if i ever saw one!

lol...another bichara who has to face the adoring hordes bedore he vanishes!

i reckon he'll be the next holding? or maybe the next thompson? waiting for the comparisons..

i bet if he gets a few wickets we can expect a thread: "aarons yorker better than waqars?" or maybe " who says we cant find [ace bowlers? we are indian and will shout it out loud!"..lol

Glad that he got selected, time to rock n'roll baby :hamster:

You mean it's time for him to live up to the pointless expectation and hype he has recieved from Indian fans.

I'm glad he has been selected - for once we can see this hyped up youngster at International level, against a top International side.

The conditions will give his bowling an advantage however this could also mean that he'll take time to adapt to a complete different condition and pitches.

It'll be interesting to see how this so called 'next superstar' does against England.

bump !!! lol was flicking through channels and came across neo cricket , there was some match going on in india and supposedly this guy and umesh yadav the guy who played against zimbabwe and was creamed all over the place were bowling in tandem , now supposedly these two are the quickest bowlers india have ever produced , yes they are rumoured to be quicker than anil kumble in case you are wondering , well i dont know if our indian friends were high or what when they hyped these youngsters up because in their first spells these guys were bowling at an average speed of around 135-136 ,i can safely say that there are quicker bowlers in most county sides than these two and all over over the world infact , and to add to that they were seemingly putting in everything , going for outright pace as the bowling was gunbarrel straight..
if this is the standard of military medium bowling in india no wonder stuart little starts shaking when he faces up to a genuine speedster:akhtar

Back