[VIDEO] Babar Azam prefers Naseem Shah over Jasprit Bumrah to defend 10 runs off the last over, Your thoughts?

Do you agree with Babar Azam's choice here?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
In a recent podcast, when asked to pick one among the two ie Naseem Shah and Jasprit Bumrah to defend the 10 runs off the last over. Babar Azam responded swiftly and without any hesitation called Naseem Shah to be his pick for such a deadly last over duel.

View attachment YouCut_20240408_154613254.mp4

So do you guys agree with Babar Azam here or you hold the pole opposite view?

Last edited by a moderator:
Naseem is clutch. Of course would depend on the respective batters they're facing too

I expected diplomatic answer from babar .he is just bias for his teammate every body knows bumrah is ahead from naseem in death over bowling

I expected diplomatic answer from babar .he is just bias for his teammate every body knows bumrah is ahead from naseem in death over bowling

Babar always backs his players in public whether it's Nawaz the 'match winner' or Naseem Shah. That's the quality of a good leader hence why he had everyone's backing. No need to be diplomatic

A comparison of their death over stats
- Last 4 overs accross T20I's

It isn't even a debate

U45PgFk.png

If you ask me, I would have preferred Jasprit Bumrah. No one can match him in the death overs.

A comparison of their death over stats
- Last 4 overs accross T20I's

It isn't even a debate

U45PgFk.png
Well TBH Bumrah is a great death bowler both in the first or second innings. But I believe Naseem is also a good death bowler but only in the 2nd innings.

So not a fair comparison but Naseem being a clutch player I would back him in such nervy situation.

Babar up to his usual public antics. Someday, someone's gonna ask him if Shaheen is a better opening batter than Rohit Sharma and he'll nod his head and say "yes, definitely"

Babar always backs his players in public whether it's Nawaz the 'match winner' or Naseem Shah. That's the quality of a good leader hence why he had everyone's backing. No need to be diplomatic
Mate please for the love of God stop being biased.

If he was a good leader he would have won something by now.

Theirs a difference between backing a match winner amd backing a loser. That's not the sign of a good leader. If he was a good leader he either wouldn't play nawaz or would only play nawaz until nawaz had proven himself.

What is the purpose of this question when in no parallel universe is Babar likely to be captaining Bumrah?

In a recent podcast, when asked to pick one among the two ie Naseem Shah and Jasprit Bumrah to defend the 10 runs off the last over. Babar Azam responded swiftly and without any hesitation named Naseem Shah his pick for such a deadly last over duel.

View attachment 143108

So do you guys agree with Babar Azam here or you hold the pole opposite view?
To be completely fair to babar, he's more so referring to the fact that he trusts naseem more as their team mates. He's not saying naseem is superior to bumrah.

So I'm okay with the interview. I don't mind it too much, its not that big of a deal.

10 runs in final over is such a scenario where past performances or ur pedigree as a bowler holds very lil impact. On given day, even maxwell ll defend 10 runs somehow. But this isnt such a weord comparison Naseem does have the ability to defend 10 runs and somehow maybe bumrah wont. But if we repeat the experiment 10 times Bumrah ll be ahead of everyone. He might fail twice or thrice but he ll defend 7 times out of 10

I agree that Naseem can overtake Bumrah in coming years, but I feel that it was a stupid question, and the answer should have been more subtle from Babar.

Babar up to his usual public antics. Someday, someone's gonna ask him if Shaheen is a better opening batter than Rohit Sharma and he'll nod his head and say "yes, definitely"
But no one will ask that question. He is not as blatant as Amir, who will start praising another player from another country instead of supporting his own teammate because someone gifted him a bat once. Babar isn't envious like Amir; he's a leader who knows how to support his players. Yes, 90 out of 100 times, Bumrah will defend that score, and I am sure Naseem will not do it as frequently, but supporting your guy is what matters here. Imagine him stating that only Jasprit Bumrah can defend it. Don't you think Naseem would be less confident in his bowling following that? Also, if he had stated bumrah here, the same individuals here would have raised the issue of not supporting your own players during these comparisons, knowing that this could affect their performance.

I agree that Naseem can overtake Bumrah in coming years, but I feel that it was a stupid question, and the answer should have been more subtle from Babar.
subtle?
First of all, this was not a stupid question at all. Both of these are bowlers, and it's their responsibility to defend these scores, and who can do it frequently is actually a nice question, but at the same time, no player is ever going to say someone else is better than his own teammate as long as the question is not stupid, like'is 'Ramiz Raja a better batsman than Virat Kohli' Babar would have spit water from his mouth while listening to this question. .

But no one will ask that question. He is not as blatant as Amir, who will start praising another player from another country instead of supporting his own teammate because someone gifted him a bat once. Babar isn't envious like Amir; he's a leader who knows how to support his players. Yes, 90 out of 100 times, Bumrah will defend that score, and I am sure Naseem will not do it as frequently, but supporting your guy is what matters here. Imagine him stating that only Jasprit Bumrah can defend it. Don't you think Naseem would be less confident in his bowling following that? Also, if he had stated bumrah here, the same individuals here would have raised the issue of not supporting your own players during these comparisons, knowing that this could affect their performance.

I am not saying that Babar is blatant. He is a humbled and wise man, and an even better leader. The problem with him, and this isn't the first time he's said something that could haunt him later in the presence of stats and others. I agree that our captain needs to support his team, but if the statement was that wise, this forum post would have been a lot more downplayed, and maybe it would have ceased to exist altogether. And the Saheen and Rohit thing, it was merely a joke and an overstatement.

subtle?
First of all, this was not a stupid question at all. Both of these are bowlers, and it's their responsibility to defend these scores, and who can do it frequently is actually a nice question, but at the same time, no player is ever going to say someone else is better than his own teammate as long as the question is not stupid, like'is 'Ramiz Raja a better batsman than Virat Kohli' Babar would have spit water from his mouth while listening to this question. .

Yes, subtle.
No captain should be that confident in their player, especially when that player is being compared to a currently superior player, because that can induce overconfidence in both the captain and the bowler. It's different from saying "Jee, mein Bumrah koh over dunga," but more like "Jee, Naseem ko dunga likin Bumrah bhi karsakta hai," or something of the sort (sorry about my bad urdu). No one should explicity pick one over the other with no given reason when both are world-class.

As a captain, it is best to remain indifferent.

I don't really mind it to much, cricketers can say what they want, idrc.

Actions speak louder then words. And we have seen babar's actions as captain on full display 😂😂.

This guy Babar once said that he’s been watching cricket since he was a kid.

Yeah right ok. I think he started watching cricket in 2016 when he made his debut.

What is he supposed to say? That he will back an Indian player over his own?
This.. So what's he supposed to say ?? he can't say he'll back an Indian guy over his yeah teammate this is such a silly question from the Reporter even an Indian captain would say the same thing this is just a click bait article from the reporter

Would have been interesting if the question is

Amir or Naseem
Still then Babar would have said Naseem and everyone knows why.

Anyway one thing is clear poor Zaman Khan may not play for Pakistan now in WC 2024 as Babar has named his death bowler.

I don't understand why people always highlight a captain backing his own player as a negative thing. Go watch any interviews from players across any sports team in the world and they will always back their teammates. That's just part of being a good teammate, these hypothetical situations never actually arise, there is no point in answering it differently.

Nothing wrong in Babar's answer , as he is captain therefore it is good that he has utmost believe in Naseem to defend 10 runs, remember a captain is only as good as his team

In reality Nawaz will be Babar's bowler
The only reason Nawaz has ended up bowling a couple of last overs is because we used up our better bowlers earlier.

If we hadn’t used our better bowlers earlier on, then the chases would probably not have even gone to the last overs but instead finished earlier.

Mate please for the love of God stop being biased.

If he was a good leader he would have won something by now.

Theirs a difference between backing a match winner amd backing a loser. That's not the sign of a good leader. If he was a good leader he either wouldn't play nawaz or would only play nawaz until nawaz had proven himself.

I am a little bit biased towards Pakistani players over Indian counterparts but on Babar I'm not biased at all. He is a good leader and he's proven it over and over by winning his team's backing. Have you ever heard him talk smack about any other cricketer in the public? He brings positivity only, the importance of which negative Nancy's wouldn't understand.

He's built a very good T20 squad that was united until the recent PCB fiasco. Trophies will come with a bit of luck.

Even if the question was Bumrah versus Nawaz , Babar would have still said Nawaz the match winner over Bumrah; again such a silly question for the reporter to ask

if poor Babar had given the obvious answer , saarey Pakestani aur BP would have abused him on SM , seedha banda hai , sahi bola hai (y)

No current Pakistani payer in his right mind is going to risk career suicide and pick Burmah!

The way babar took a break before answering it seems like he was also not convinced with the answer he gave :D

It is one of those queston you would rather prefer a safe answer. I can see where he si coming from. Journalists these days ask a lot of stupid question
All he had to say is,

“Naseem is a the pride of Pakistan, but on this instance I will go with Bumrah due to his sheer experience.”

Would Naseem or Pakistani fans accuse Babar of being anti-national here?

All he had to say is,

“Naseem is a the pride of Pakistan, but on this instance I will go with Bumrah due to his sheer experience.”

He has a chance now in the world T20. I have seen twice Babar using Nawaz in 20th over. 19th over both times bowled by Rauf not Naseem. Let us see if he sticks to his words.

This is why this guy is a complete tool as a captain

He is clueless
This is why his teammates love him. You were predicting Shaheen turning on him but instead Shaheen is posting pictures of them embracing :rizwan

Even if they asked whether you would rather have Hasan Ali or Bumrah the right answer is Hasan Ali. You’re supposed to back your teammates.

Babar haters stay mad. :hasan2

All he had to say is,

Or he could've refused to have answered it rather than make a fool out of himself.

Or he could've refused to have answered it rather than make a fool out of himself.
He’s just made Naseem’s life very difficult now. Indians will be on his case on social media every time he fails to deliver

He’s just made Naseem’s life very difficult now. Indians will be on his case on social media every time he fails to deliver

Babar isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. You can give him all the media training in the world, you can never bank on him to deliver when he has to think.

Some of his fans seem to be of the same mould as well because apparently a picture of them together = no issues.

Babar isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. You can give him all the media training in the world, you can never bank on him to deliver when he has to think.

Some of his fans seem to be of the same mould as well because apparently a picture of them together = no issues.
Ah well, this time he won’t get any sympathy like he did in 2019, new on the job. This will and should be the last nail in the coffin of his leadership.

It is one of those queston you would rather prefer a safe answer. I can see where he si coming from. Journalists these days ask a lot of stupid question
True

These sorts of questions only create unnecessary fuss nothing more than that..

I am a little bit biased towards Pakistani players over Indian counterparts but on Babar I'm not biased at all. He is a good leader and he's proven it over and over by winning his team's backing. Have you ever heard him talk smack about any other cricketer in the public? He brings positivity only, the importance of which negative Nancy's wouldn't understand.

He's built a very good T20 squad that was united until the recent PCB fiasco. Trophies will come with a bit of luck.
You're the most biased person on babar here lol, atleast don't lie to yourself.

Not at all. Just because I have a strong opinion on what's right for Pakistan Cricket, doesn't make me biased. I have criticized Babar when and where it merits.
No you haven't,

You've gone so far as to threaten me over rizwan, misbah and Babar lol.

DON'T DISRESPECT OUR LEGENDS.

you even wanted to speak to me in another thread in hopes to brainwash me on why these 3 are goats 💀💀💀.

Not a fan of Babar's leadership but this was a fair answer.

Captains will always back their players.

Nothing wrong with this statement from Babar. Naseem is pretty much capable enough to defend those runs in the final overs. Babar backs his best bowler currently in the team and this is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Captain is backing his player, what's wrong?

I remember Rohit backing Bumrah over Amir when former was very new, to get public support from a captain or senior should do the youngster's confidence a world of good.

No you haven't,

You've gone so far as to threaten me over rizwan, misbah and Babar lol.

DON'T DISRESPECT OUR LEGENDS.

you even wanted to speak to me in another thread in hopes to brainwash me on why these 3 are goats 💀💀💀.

That's not a threat bro. And I didn't say Babar and Rizwan, they're not legends yet

All he had to say is,

U know if babar is such eloquent and smart as Ur lines, things must have different for pak cricket and its fans 😁

Of course Babar wouldn't invite trouble by picking Bumrah over Naseem. But at the same time I'm pretty sure he respects Bumrah.

That's such a difficult question and I don't expect Babar to be able to answer this correctly.

Saying Bumrah is crucifixion of your own bowler and saying Naseem is putting pressure on our bowler to finish off those matches.

The right answer is probably no one to keep it vague.

Just troll the reporter and say I still prefer Nawaz and smile.

That's such a difficult question and I don't expect Babar to be able to answer this correctly.

Saying Bumrah is crucifixion of your own bowler and saying Naseem is putting pressure on our bowler to finish off those matches.

The right answer is probably no one to keep it vague.

Just troll the reporter and say I still prefer Nawaz and smile.
If he said nawaz, I would riot, build an army and cause war with civilisation.

So no.

This.. So what's he supposed to say ?? he can't say he'll back an Indian guy over his yeah teammate this is such a silly question from the Reporter even an Indian captain would say the same thing this is just a click bait article from the reporter
If you had asked Azharuddin in 90's who he would pick between Wasim Akram and Venkatesh Prasad to defend 10 runs in the final over, Ajju bhai would say Venkatesh Prasad(in choking voice).

Nothing to see here. Pretty much like Imran Khan picking Inzamam to bat for his life over Lara, Tendulkar etc.

If you had asked Azharuddin in 90's who he would pick between Wasim Akram and Venkatesh Prasad to defend 10 runs in the final over, Ajju bhai would say Venkatesh Prasad(in choking voice).
No he wud have chosen Wasim Akram. Indians generally have no qualms accepting others are better than us when its true

Like Ganguly wud never say Zaheer was better than Wasim Akram. Or Srinath was better than Waqar Younis

This " my player always better than urs " is a uniquely Pakistan thing. Remember Imran Khan of all people claimed Inzy was better than Sachin or Lara. Or Abdul Razzak saying Ahmed Shehzad was better than Sachin Tendulkar

Nothing more than a confidence boosting statement. Reality is none of our bowlers are good enough under pressure. I will never forgive the likes of Rauf, Shaheen, Nawaz, Naseem, Shadab for bottling an easy winnable match against Kohli and Pandya in the ICC T-20 WC 2022 in Melbourne where the pitch was pacy, bouncy. To give away 70 plus runs in the final 5 overs to lose the match in that situation was criminal.

No he wud have chosen Wasim Akram. Indians generally have no qualms accepting others are better than us when its true

Like Ganguly wud never say Zaheer was better than Wasim Akram. Or Srinath was better than Waqar Younis

This " my player always better than urs " is a uniquely Pakistan thing. Remember Imran Khan of all people claimed Inzy was better than Sachin or Lara. Or Abdul Razzak saying Ahmed Shehzad was better than Sachin Tendulkar
There’s a difference once the players have already retired versus when you’re talking about current players.

In my opinion, you should always back your current squad in public. If you want to criticize them, criticize them in private. A captain saying that he believes in his bowler more than even the best bowler in the world is going to give him confidence.

Back