[VIDEO] Virat Kohli unhappy with send-off by Bangladesh fielders

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Virat Kohli had a nightmarish day in the field on Day 3 of the Indian vs Bangladesh second Test in Mirpur. He failed to grasp a couple of chances in the slips, which allowed Litton Das to add crucial runs to his and Bangladesh's total and when it was his turn to bat in a tricky situation where India were in desperate need of a counter-punch from their best batter on a pitch that had a lot of turn for the spinners with the new ball, he got out cheaply to Mehidy Hasan Miraz.

Mehidy Hasan Miraz, who was in top form, having just dismissed Cheteshwar Pujara and Shubman Gill, got one to grip and turn from the rough in the penultimate ball of the 20th over of India's second innings. Kohli, as he does so often while playing the off-spinner on a turning track, committed to the front foot without taking the drift and turn into consideration. The ball spun and caught the inside edge of his bat.

Mominul Haque, who was standing at forward short leg, anticipated brilliantly and dived forward to take a low catch. This was sort of a redemption for Mominul, who had dropped India stand-in captain KL Rahul's catch in the first over of Shakib Al Hasan.

The real drama, however, started after the catch was taken. The Bangladesh players were off to a wild celebration and quite understandably so as Kohli's wicket was a huge one in the context of the game and India were now four down for 37 in their 145-run chase. Kohli was not at all happy with the way the Bangladesh players celebrated. He stood his ground for quite some time and then turned towards the celebrating Bangladesh fielders and mouthed a few words.

Bangladesh skipper Shakib Al Hasan took note of that and looked at Kohli. The former India captain was then seen charging towards Shakib to complain about some of his teammates. He had a few words with Shakib before the umpires intervened. The veteran right-hander finally made his way back to the hut for 1 off 22 balls.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/y23xya" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...ban-2nd-test-watch-video-101671881846837.html

Nice to see Bangladesh players giving Virat a dose of his own medicine. I hope our players can learn a thing or two from Bangla boys.

Emiliano Martinez and Mbappe

This was not upto that level but still nice to see Bangladesh doing it.

I never liked sendoffs whether BD does it or another team.

It is unnecessary.

When bowler puts his 100% effort to get a wicket, Virat steals the show by useless send offs despite Virat having no contribution in getting the wicket.

Not sure why Virat is unhappy with the same treatment from opponents.

If a player directly said something to Kohli, then I can understand the reaction somewhat and can side with Kohli. Always low-class when the fielding team give petty/disrespectful sendoffs to a dismissed batter.

But if the players were just celebrating wildly with each other then I don't quite get what's wrong with that. BD players are fully entitled to go on a celebration spree provided they don't do right at the batter's face. It was a huge wicket in the context of not just the game/series but also the history as BD felt they had come closest to getting their first win over India in tests.

But the problem is we don't have the video panned on the players plus Kohli once they started celebrating hence it is hard to conclude who was at fault here.

Depends if erasmus is there to help kohli

The golden rule is,

You only give it if you're able to take it as well.

Nothing can outdo Kohli and his team shouting at the stump mic and accusing the broadcasters of cheating after a decision didn't go their way.

Virat does the same thing and he is not even a bowler. It seems he was venting out his frustration of not being able to score against Bangladesh. :rabada2

Who remembers young Kohli abusing Bangladeshi bowler Rubel? :inti

Nobody should feel disheartened if they give Kohli a send off. Kohli deserves it.

The guy did everything in Cape Town from giving send offs to shouting on mics and abusing the broadcasters.

For all the attitude he carries, he is averaging in low 30s since 2019.

For all the attitude he carries, he is averaging in low 30s since 2019.

Kohli is unlucky that he does not get a chance a play test cricket against Pakistan, otherwise his average would have been a lot higher.

Kohli has done the same thing on countless occasions.

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

How dare they disrespect King Kohli !!!

Just rip up Shakib's and Litton's IPL contracts.

Kohli has done the same thing on countless occasions.

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Actually there was no heat. BD palyers celebrated. That's it. He couldn't see off the day. He needed a distraction. There you have it.

Kohli behaves like a little child. He is more dramatic than Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton.

Does he want teams to not celebrate his wicket?

:)) Kohli knows he could be part of a humiliating defeat here so his cry baby reaction is not a surprise

Legendary India cricketer Sunil Gavaskar reacted to Virat Kohli's heated altercation with the Bangladesh cricketers following their wild celebration of his wicket late on Day 3 in the second Test in Mirpur. Kohli was dismissed while trying to play a forward defence off Mehidy Hasan Miraz in the 20th over of India's second innings. Mominul Haque took a good low catch to send the former India captain packing after a struggling 22-ball 1-run knock.

There was no stopping Miraz, who ran towards his teammates, screaming his lungs out. Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan, senior batter Mushfiquir Rahim and pretty much all the Bangladesh players started celebrating wildly. Something was said to Kohli at that very moment. The veteran right-handed batter did not take that lightly. He stood his ground and said a few words to the Bangladesh cricketers joined in a huddle.

Bangladesh skipper Shakib Al Hasan walked across, Kohli went towards him and pointed his finger to the huddle. Kohli walked back only after the umpires stepped in.

"Somebody might have said something. I was on-air, I'm sure. I didn't see anything. Sunny bhai was asking who said what. I'm not really sure what exactly happened. The celebrations started and they were quite away from Kohli. But he was not happy at all," said former Bangladesh cricketer Athar Ali Khan in the post-match show on Sony Sports Network.

Gavaskar had a slightly different take. The former India captain said the roots for Saturday's action were in the first Test in Chattogram when Kohli and Mohammed Siraj had mimicked Litton Das after getting him out.

"In the first Test, something happened when Litton Das put his hand to his ear and said something to Siraj. He got two balls later. I wasn't there but I read about it. Kohli and Siraj also tucked their hands behind their ears to mimic Siraj.

"These things happen. Litton Das is one of Bangladesh's foremost batters so India were delighted with his wicket. Now you know Virat Kohli is the best batter in the world. So getting his wicket and the fact that he had done the thing in the first Test, it's not easily forgotten," Gavaskar said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...on-in-2nd-test-in-mirpur-101671890120941.html

Kohli is unlucky that he does not get a chance a play test cricket against Pakistan, otherwise his average would have been a lot higher.

:)) true
I remember Ganguly and Inzamam were in a show where they were talking about 2004-06 tours of both the countries. Ganguly said I want our boys to tour Pakistan. It adds so much to your profile. And said our batsmen will love it, nowhere in the world I have seen patta wickets like those. You can stand and play across the line whole day.

Legendary India cricketer Sunil Gavaskar reacted to Virat Kohli's heated altercation with the Bangladesh cricketers following their wild celebration of his wicket late on Day 3 in the second Test in Mirpur. Kohli was dismissed while trying to play a forward defence off Mehidy Hasan Miraz in the 20th over of India's second innings. Mominul Haque took a good low catch to send the former India captain packing after a struggling 22-ball 1-run knock.

There was no stopping Miraz, who ran towards his teammates, screaming his lungs out. Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan, senior batter Mushfiquir Rahim and pretty much all the Bangladesh players started celebrating wildly. Something was said to Kohli at that very moment. The veteran right-handed batter did not take that lightly. He stood his ground and said a few words to the Bangladesh cricketers joined in a huddle.

Bangladesh skipper Shakib Al Hasan walked across, Kohli went towards him and pointed his finger to the huddle. Kohli walked back only after the umpires stepped in.

"Somebody might have said something. I was on-air, I'm sure. I didn't see anything. Sunny bhai was asking who said what. I'm not really sure what exactly happened. The celebrations started and they were quite away from Kohli. But he was not happy at all," said former Bangladesh cricketer Athar Ali Khan in the post-match show on Sony Sports Network.

Gavaskar had a slightly different take. The former India captain said the roots for Saturday's action were in the first Test in Chattogram when Kohli and Mohammed Siraj had mimicked Litton Das after getting him out.

"In the first Test, something happened when Litton Das put his hand to his ear and said something to Siraj. He got two balls later. I wasn't there but I read about it. Kohli and Siraj also tucked their hands behind their ears to mimic Siraj.

"These things happen. Litton Das is one of Bangladesh's foremost batters so India were delighted with his wicket. Now you know Virat Kohli is the best batter in the world. So getting his wicket and the fact that he had done the thing in the first Test, it's not easily forgotten," Gavaskar said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...on-in-2nd-test-in-mirpur-101671890120941.html

Ah.. Gavaskar, the king of the obvious, pioneer of dishing out readymade sentences.. "Kohli is the best batsman in the world "

Virat does the same thing and he is not even a bowler. It seems he was venting out his frustration of not being able to score against Bangladesh. :rabada2

Who remembers young Kohli abusing Bangladeshi bowler Rubel? :inti

He always jumps in fights/arguments. Like Siraj and Litton were having a battle, Siraj took wicket of Litton. He had his right to give him a send off but Kohli jumped in to take his share of footage.
Pakistan are the only team whose players he is always nice with.

Not the first time he does this.
A soft player who tried to disguise himself as a Ricky Ponting.

Sick of his theatrics. especially the non related send offs.
and the surprising thing is, outside he comes across as a perfectly behaved normal guy- a friend of mine playing in the delhi ranks told me.
to be fair to VK, the camera purposefully pans on to him at most moments, KohliCam is a given in each test and if the cam is on you for 70 pc of the day, you aint getting away with moments that were not exactly complimentary.
If glenn Mcg, slater, hayden heck even Anderson got so much footage as him, we'd be discussing them more.
all in all BD didn't do any wrong - hope vk improves soon

Don’t assume VK is in the wrong just because you hate him.

There are some unspoken lines that you do not cross when abusing/sledging other players (e.g your spouse/family).

As a Kohli fan, I’d think such a line was crossed - hence he took it up with Shakib and hence some bangle players looked a bit sheepish / defensive

As I said above, I am a VK fan and won’t claim to be neutral here.

Don’t assume VK is in the wrong just because you hate him.

There are some unspoken lines that you do not cross when abusing/sledging other players (e.g your spouse/family).

As a Kohli fan, I’d think such a line was crossed - hence he took it up with Shakib and hence some bangle players looked a bit sheepish / defensive

As I said above, I am a VK fan and won’t claim to be neutral here.

Yeah, Taijul did or said something apparently. You could see Shakib kind of ordering him not to do anything silly after the episode.

Kohli should shut the ffff up and get on with his walk off when opposition say something - he hasn't been an angel by any means all these years and we all know he loves to exaggerate his celebrations. Just because he has relatively mellowed down from past years doesn't mean everyone else should abide by the same timeline.
Don't know when the next Bangla series will be, but if he's still around then, I can see him getting fired up and score a few - confrontation has always driven him.

:)) Shakib always being the middle man between his own team mates/umpire and Kohli.

Happened last month during the WC and again yesterday.

2232.jpg

2244.jpg

Last edited:
Back