[VIDEOS] Talent Spotter : Zeeshan Zameer

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
A profile of the talented Karachi-born fast-bowler, Zeeshan Zameer, who recently replaced Akif Javed for Islamabad United in PSL 6 and has been named in the Pakistan Under-19s training camp ahead of the tour of Bangladesh.

5a6765bd-2549-4626-ae25-d873d138af87.jpg

Full name Zeeshan Zameer

Date of Birth 20 December, 2002 in Karachi

Major teams Deccan Gladiators, Islamabad United, Karachi Zone VI Under-19s

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm fast-medium

Height 6 ft

Family background

I was born in Karachi but come from a Pathan family. My father has worked as a delivery driver for a local beverage company for most of his life. We lived in a combined family system whereby 28 of us resided in one house in Nazimabad in Karachi. Given the fact that we were not well off and did not have the financial resources to spend on me to help me play cricket, everyone in our family was against my pursuing cricket as a career because they felt that I could never hope to earn well in that profession. But I persisted, never gave up and the Almighty helped me realize my dream of being a cricketer.

Interest in cricket

One of my cousins used to play tape-ball cricket in a field near where we used to live and I would watch him play and slowly built up my passion for the game. In 2017, a friend of mine seeing my skills with the tape-ball took me along to the Azam Khan Cricket Academy in Karachi where I got my first taste of hard-ball cricket. I was selected for Karachi Under-16s but was hit by a stress fracture of the back during the Under-16 Pentangular tournament preparation camp which badly dented my hopes for future development.

Injury and Regrets about giving up education

I left school in year 7 after I was selected for the Sindh Under-16 side in 2017 and then suffered a stress fracture in the back which confined me to my bed for almost 8 months. It is at that time that I felt I had made a bad decision to leave education as my future looked very bleak at that time, but the Almighty had other plans for me.

Playing regional Under-19 cricket

Whilst I had recovered from injury which took most of 2018, I was still very uneasy about resuming bowling, but Karachi Under-19 coach Mohammad Masroor helped and encouraged me at that time. He asked me to come to the Under-19 training camp in 2019 and I was selected to play for the Sindh Under-19s that year, but my performances were not that great. However, I had made up my mind that cricket was my life from then on and I would look to succeed in it, come what may. The proof of my new-found confidence came in 2020 when I took 19 wickets in 10 games at an average of 17 for Sindh Under-19s in the National Under-19 One Day Tournament. But unfortunately, I got injured again. This time around, it was an injury to quads and also a problem in my heel also developed. I was fortunate enough to be called to the National Cricket Academy for recovery as the PCB had taken note of my Under-19 performances and wanted to make sure that I was taken care of properly.

Missing out on First-class debut for Sindh due to injuries

I was called up by our Head Coach Basit Ali to play for Sindh in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy in the 2020/21 season but once again, injuries meant that I was not able to bowl well in the nets and could not avail of this opportunity and had to respectfully decline. I was asked a few times to play for Sindh in First-class matches but I felt that I wasn’t fit and didn't want to risk further injury. I explained that to the Sindh team management who accepted my position.

T10 and debut wicket of Shoaib Malik

Having recovered from my injuries, I was invited to play for Deccan Gladiators in the 2021 edition of the T10 League where I was lucky to have Mushtaq Ahmed as our bowling coach who instilled a lot of confidence in me. But the highlight of the tournament for me was my maiden T10 wicket which was that of Shoaib Malik. This was a moment in my career which I will never forget. When Shoaib had come into bat that day, I went up to him and told him that he was my favourite player and was doubly pleased when I took his wicket as well.

Selection for the Islamabad United squad for PSL 6

I had just about come back after playing in the T10 tournament when news came through that I had been selected as the replacement for the injured Akif Javed in the Islamabad United squad for their PSL 6 campaign. I was absolutely thrilled by this and immediately thought about the time when I would lay in my bed due to injury in 2017/2018 when I was wondering if I would ever play cricket again. I had truly come a long way from that point and for that I am indebted to the Almighty and will always thank him for helping me.

Working with Rumman Raees and Hassan Ali

Once with the Islamabad squad, I was fortunate enough to have been guided by Rumman Raees and Hassan Ali who went out of their way to help me develop as a better bowler. In particular Rumman Raees taught me a lot about bowling, including the variations one needed to have to succeed in the T20 format. And even though I have yet to play a game in PSL, the feeling I got when I first walked onto the field in the National Stadium with the squad still thrills me to this day and is one that I will never forget.

Guidance of Mushtaq Ahmed and Rao Iftikhar Anjum at the Under-19 camp ahead of tour of Bangladesh

It’s been a great experience to work with two amazing and experienced teachers like Mushtaq Ahmed and Rao Iftikhar Anjum. Both have been great in explaining to me any mistakes I have been making in my bowling and also giving me sound advice on how to fix those issues. I am now looking forward to the upcoming tour of Bangladesh and hope that I can perform to the best of my abilities if given the chance.

Pat Cummins as my role model

I have only followed one bowler all my life and that is Pat Cummins, and he is my role model, to the extent that I always wear number 30 on my shirt which is his number for the Australian side. Whenever I get a chance, I watch videos of Pat Cummins in action as I really want to emulate my role model as much as I can.

Wicket-taking deliveries and looking to increase bowling speed

In terms of speed, I feel that I average between 140-145Kph and I am hoping to increase that even further. My wicket-taking deliveries are yorkers and bouncers and I feel that the bouncer is the one I excel in the most.

Aspirations to play for Pakistan

Like every other young player, it is my wish to play for Pakistan and I am hoping that I will continue to improve myself so that one day I can have the honour to represent my country.

Last edited:
Some talent this guy!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 50%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/sj73nq" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 50%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/ty0f2h" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

==

Batsman Mohammad Shehzad and fast bowler Zeeshan Zameer battle it out in the Pakistan U19 warm-up three-day match at the GSL.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/m7ruk8" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited:
Some talent this guy!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 100.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/sj73nq" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Reminds me of Mohamed Zahid

What's the question?

So basically few weeks ago i met a central punjab u19 player and i asked him who is the fastest among the current batch.He named zeshan zameer.So i researched on him and was quite happy to see a youngster from humble packground being this good.But unfortunately according to his listed age he wouldnt have been able to get selected in the u19 wc 2022.But i was surprised when pcb named him in the u19 wc probable and i thought that pcb might not exactly be aware of the rule and would have to drop him before the world cup due to his age.Now suddenly his age has changed.Please ask him to teach the art of changing age to every youngster out there to make sure nobody is disadvantaged.

How do you post pics here?I have pics of his original dob taken from pcb site.This just isnt acceptable.Because of guys like him a lot of people with original ages cant make it.And age fudging is one the major reason because of which you dont see players coming from major schools(Lgs,Beaconhouse,Kgs,Roots)Since they can t change their age as many give their Cambridge exams and some also travel outside of Pak

If anyone has contact in pcb please ask them to start some type of age testing.I myself know players who are original 19 years old play in u16.

January or December

No U19 WC 2022 probables have been announced yet as there is almost an year to the WC so not sure what exactly are you referring to.

Also what exactly is the rule for 2022 U19 WC? Yes for some years the cut off has been previous year’s September 1st to be below 19 but, I am not aware of the age cut off for U19 WC 2022. Kindly share the source if you have the updated information.

Regarding his age, its same everywhere but yes the date mentioned in the interview has a 3 months difference. Maybe its an error as you can easily see his age is same on every website. If the cutoff date is before Sep 1st 2021 than he wont be eligible but at the moment I am not sure what exactly is the decided cut off for U19 WC 2022. PCB will obviously have the updated information.

Last edited:
I was called up by our Head Coach Basit Ali to play for Sindh in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy in the 2020/21 season but once again, injuries meant that I was not able to bowl well in the nets and could not avail of this opportunity and had to respectfully decline. I was asked a few times to play for Sindh in First-class matches but I felt that I wasn’t fit and didn't want to risk further injury. I explained that to the Sindh team management who accepted my position.

Overall good interview. I hope he is focusing on his fitness issues and is willing to work hard to gain fitness for 4 day cricket in the upcoming season or so as that is really important to learn the basics of cricket for any youngster.

No U19 WC 2022 probables have been announced yet as there is almost an year to the WC so not sure what exactly are you referring to.

Also what exactly is the rule for 2022 U19 WC? Yes for some years the cut off has been previous year’s September 1st to be below 19 but, I am not aware of the age cut off for U19 WC 2022. Kindly share the source if you have the updated information.

Regarding his age, its same everywhere but yes the date mentioned in the interview has a 3 months difference. Maybe its an error as you can easily see his age is same on every website. If the cutoff date is before Sep 1st 2021 than he wont be eligible but at the moment I am not sure what exactly is the decided cut off for U19 WC 2022. PCB will obviously have the updated information.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1597640 .The icc rule is that the player should beu 19 on 1st sept last year.So which means in 2022 wc all players should be below u 19 on 1st sep 2021

https://www.dawn.com/news/1597640 .The icc rule is that the player should beu 19 on 1st sept last year.So which means in 2022 wc all players should be below u 19 on 1st sep 2021

Thanks for the source. It says “The probables who are called up are born on or after Sept 1, 2002”. So the the date mentioned in the interview can be the correct one and PCB’s website probably needs revision as it says he was born Aug 10, 2002 unless there is some exception for the difference of just 20 days from the cutoff.

Last edited:
The PCB have clearly stated in their release that:

As per the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2022 age criteria, players born or after 1 September 2002 have been selected.

PCB record on their site is wrong - we have confirmed with the player.

The PCB have clearly stated in their release that:

As per the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2022 age criteria, players born or after 1 September 2002 have been selected.

PCB record on their site is wrong - we have confirmed with the player.
Ofcourse the player will tell the age that suits him best.

Heard good things about this kid and he has been working with a good coach Mohammad Masroor since the age of 16.

Looks like he has good pace and a good set-up.

The concern though is that he's mentioned several injuries already including the dreaded stress fracture of the back, the same as Naseem Shah.

Would have loved to see him against Bangladesh U19s - guess now we need to see him in next years FC.

Zeeshan Zameer – Islamabad United: “Being part of the Islamabad United is a huge honour for me, I really enjoyed my time in Karachi as senior bowlers in the side gave me constant guidance and support. I have practiced really hard on my skills in the last month or so following the Pakistan U19 team camp in Lahore.

“I really enjoy bowling fast and taking on the batters in the T2o format. My aim would be to make a big impression when I get the opportunity to wear the United kit in Abu Dhabi. The HBL Pakistan Super League is a fantastic platform for young players from all around the country and we have seen some real talent emerge from the tournament. Our team did very well in Karachi and we have a real chance of qualifying for the playoffs and eventually winning the trophy for the third time.”

Got carted around in the only match he played in T10 but on the bright side he actually looks his age.

Zeeshan Zameer – Islamabad United: “Being part of the Islamabad United is a huge honour for me, I really enjoyed my time in Karachi as senior bowlers in the side gave me constant guidance and support. I have practiced really hard on my skills in the last month or so following the Pakistan U19 team camp in Lahore.

“I really enjoy bowling fast and taking on the batters in the T2o format. My aim would be to make a big impression when I get the opportunity to wear the United kit in Abu Dhabi. The HBL Pakistan Super League is a fantastic platform for young players from all around the country and we have seen some real talent emerge from the tournament. Our team did very well in Karachi and we have a real chance of qualifying for the playoffs and eventually winning the trophy for the third time.”

Hopefully will get some good coaching from Rumman

64fd6821-ac71-4fa8-a669-8e90efadff1c.jpg

Time for IU to give this lad some chances given they have a play off spot.

Time for IU to give this lad some chances given they have a play off spot.

Didn't happen - bit disappointing. Not sure when he will get a chance again.

For now - part of the U19 camp which is being held to prepare players for the U19 WC so there is hope.

Last edited:
Zeeshan bowling at the U19 camp in Karachi.

amir1.jpg

There was a clip he himself put up bowling to Rohail Nazir in the IU nets and clearly he was chucking it.

Zeeshan Zameer stays with Islamabad United

Excellent start for Zeeshan in the ACC U1 Asia Cup - taken 2/12 against Afghanistan

Finishes with 5-60 today against India Under 19s.

Blew away India's top order - impressive stuff from him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"First of all I would like to thank the Almighty for his help in my performance today; I had come into this game with the aim of taking 5 wickets against India and thankfully I was able to execute my plans and get success" : Zeeshan Zameer <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/U19AsiaCup2021?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#U19AsiaCup2021</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/INDvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#INDvPAK</a> <a href="https://t.co/HBxLXy6J2H">pic.twitter.com/HBxLXy6J2H</a></p>— PakPassion.net (@PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/PakPassion/status/1474809668279099395?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 25, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Amongst the young upcoming pacers, this lad is one who is generating a lot of interest.

His performance against India U19s will further enhance his growing reputation.

Amongst the young upcoming pacers, this lad is one who is generating a lot of interest.

His performance against India U19s will further enhance his growing reputation.

Only one question remains to be answered. If the answer is in the affirmative, he could become very special

Another one who dropped out of school at very early age for cricket. There should be a system where young cricketers don;t have to chose between cricket and school.

Not played in the game vs UAE, instead a "travelling reserve" was used.

Is he injured?

There's no way thus guy looks 6.5ft

More 5.10-5.11ft

But an interesting prospect, hopefully sindh bring him into the team next year and he nails the 2nd xi and plays a few first xi games because that's where the bowler learns his trade ,experience a strong domestic campaign will do him wonders.

More 5.10-5.11ft

But an interesting prospect, hopefully sindh bring him into the team next year and he nails the 2nd xi and plays a few first xi games because that's where the bowler learns his trade ,experience a strong domestic campaign will do him wonders.

Good luck with that. Sindh run a panji team where favours are returned for past favours. The Sindh team at times looks older than guys that go to bingo

Not played in the game vs UAE, instead a "travelling reserve" was used.

Is he injured?

He was rested today so as to allow other players a chance to play as well.

Good luck with that. Sindh run a panji team where favours are returned for past favours. The Sindh team at times looks older than guys that go to bingo

Yeh it will be a tough ask to get in place of tabish , sohail khan and mir hamza

3 off them are solid domestic players with experience

Even dahani doesn't get regular outings but he has spent a lot of time with the national setup.

But I like the look of mir hamza instead of abbas since mir hamza can swing the new ball he deserves a run in the pakistan team In upcoming test series vs Australia on home soil. Had a decent year picking 26 wickets @ 25 .

Yeh it will be a tough ask to get in place of tabish , sohail khan and mir hamza

3 off them are solid domestic players with experience

Even dahani doesn't get regular outings but he has spent a lot of time with the national setup.

But I like the look of mir hamza instead of abbas since mir hamza can swing the new ball he deserves a run in the pakistan team In upcoming test series vs Australia on home soil. Had a decent year picking 26 wickets @ 25 .

Mir Hamza is very average and offers little to PK cricket but does deserve his selection based on performance and age. Tabish and Sohail are holding up potential PK bowlers and need to be retired.

More 5.10-5.11ft

Full name Zeeshan Zameer

Date of Birth 20 December, 2002 in Karachi

Major teams Deccan Gladiators, Islamabad United, Karachi Zone VI Under-19s

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm fast-medium

Height 6 ft

4 wickets so far for Zeeshan Zameer in semi final vs Sri Lanka U19s in the ACC U19 Asia Cup

Top wicket-taker for Pakistan in the ACC U19 Asia Cup 2021

330d68f9-0877-4dec-9fc5-72be73f2d70b.jpg

Big hopes resting on Zeeshan for the World Cup

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/hfm0dd" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Islamabad United talent Zeeshan Zameer hitting a massive six into the rainforest
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 57.878%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/eace52" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

As we saw earlier. Seems he can clout the ball if needed.

Always useful if your bowlers can bat a bit down the order.

Obviously very raw ATM, but possesses great potential, needs to play FC cricket now.

He's the best player in this u19 team in terms of raw talent the rest of the players look pretty average and nothing special

From the naked eye he looks 135 with the odd ball hitting 140 which is very quick for this age.

Good to see the attitude from Zameer and he definitely has the X factor.

The wicket keeper was standing a long way.The ball was carrying to the keeper.The commentators said he was rapid.

As per commentators he was bowling in 135-140 range, not 145, still quite fast at this age group. I think no one is faster than him in this WC, so far. He is very young, in 2-3 years he will be bowling around 145 .

As per commentators he was bowling in 135-140 range, not 145, still quite fast at this age group. I think no one is faster than him in this WC, so far. He is very young, in 2-3 years he will be bowling around 145 .

In the west indies series during some match a PCB slider pop up showing the young quickies of Pakistan who can hit 145k and above and it mentioned Hasnain , Naseem , Dhani. Shaheen , Musa and Zeeshan Zamir , go watch that match on YouTube you will find it yourself as well

One thing that he needs to work on is to get closer to the stumps.

Quite often, his last stride before he delivers the ball sees him move to the left and away from the stumps.

looks okay, definitely not express pace, has decent height tho. looks kinda like a stronger taller rao Iftikhar. as is I think he would struggle in domestics.

Difficult to judge him on a game where he was carrying an injury.

I felt bit uneasy about his wrist flick on some of the balls I saw - may be my eyes or inexperience but just not easy on the eye that bit.

He looks like a solid prospect. Hope he can also bring something to the table with the bat as a no.8/9?

A bit unlucky so far at the U19 World Cup.

He's bowled better than his figures suggest and also he doesn't look 100% fit.

Definitely has a lot of potential.

Zameer was made to play due to the incompetence of Ijaz in not picking another quick pacer.However he was really poor and gave two bad balls an over.

Zeeshan Zameer returns to ISLU Squad.

d9702704-1661-4965-a509-324491917cf5.jpg

Won't play any games for Islamabad.

Debuting for Islamabad today vs QG.

FLZuhfVXwAAi0UQ

Last edited:
bowls at 139..

Pakistan is blessed with so many pacers....

While India has only 4-5 i think

Back