West Indies (354 & 280/4) draw the 2nd Test versus Sri Lanka (258 & 193/2)

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Time: 2:00 PM GMT, 10:00 AM LOCAL

==

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Cricket West Indies (CWI) Selection Panel today announced the West Indies squad for the second and final Sandals Test match against Sri Lanka at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium. The squad is unchanged from the one which played to a draw in the first Sandals Test last week at the same venue. The second Sandals Test match will be played from March 29 to April 2. First ball daily is 10am (9am Jamaica Time).

FULL SQUAD

Kraigg Brathwaite (captain)

Jermaine Blackwood (vice-captain)

Nkrumah Bonner

Darren Bravo

John Campbell

Rahkeem Cornwall

Joshua Da Silva

Shannon Gabriel

Jason Holder

Alzarri Joseph

Kyle Mayers

Kemar Roach

Jomel Warrican

Notes: Roston Chase and Jahmar Hamilton are reserves, while Jayden Seales will remain as a developmental player. Chemar Holder was named as a reserve for the first Test but is unavailable due to injury and has returned home to Barbados.

==

Sri Lanka Squad: Dimuth Karunaratne(c), Lahiru Thirimanne, Oshada Fernando, Dinesh Chandimal, Dhananjaya de Silva, Pathum Nissanka, Niroshan Dickwella(w), Suranga Lakmal, Dushmantha Chameera, Lasith Embuldeniya, Vishwa Fernando, Roshen Silva, Dasun Shanaka, Ramesh Mendis, Wanindu Hasaranga, Asitha Fernando

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Sri Lanka have won the toss and elected to field first

Are teams comfortable with chasing in the final innings ?

Sri Lanka have won the toss and have opted to field

Sri Lanka XI: Dimuth Karunaratne (capt), Lahiru Thiramanne, Oshada Fernando, Dinesh Chandimal, Dhananjaya de Silva, Pathum Nissanka, Niroshan Dickwella (wk), Suranga Lakmal, Vishwa Fernando, Lasith Embuldeniya, Dushmantha Chameera.

West Indies XI: Kraigg Brathwaite (capt), John Campbell, Nkrumah Bonner, Kyle Mayers, Jermaine Blackwood, Joshua Da Silva (wk), Jason Holder, Rahkeem Cornwall, Alzarri Joseph, Kemar Roach, Shannon Gabriel.

19 . 2

Lanka have started well here , if they bowl well they can get WI within 250 here

Four

Four

Braithwaite has moved to 20 , with 5 boundaries . So far he has scored only in boundaries.

WI have made some recovery here , if they go to lunch with two down , they will be in good position.

Is Kyle Mayers injured or something, had a few swipes in the last few overs :))

Edges one through the gap !

Yet to see batsman play with shades on!

ExqNuImVoAUxsQW

Lanka have bowled too many boundary balls here

17 boundaries and a six so far in 106 runs

Blacwood is playing his shots here , not getting bogged down here , good positive cricket .

Lanka need to bowl tighter lines and cut the boundaries , that would create pressure on WI , most of their batsmen are strokeplayers

Holder has the potential to average 38 - 40 in tests , right now he averaging around 32, he can a vital key to bring a solid balance to WI team

285/7

Over 60 run partnership. Important runs for West Indies.

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – West Indies captain Kraigg Brathwaite batted all day to end on 99 not out as his team closed the opening day of the second Sandals Test match on 287-7 at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium.

The opener has so far spent 6 1/2 hours at the crease, faced 239 balls and hit 11 fours. In the process he became the 16th West Indian batsman to surpass 4 000 Test runs. Left-hander Kyle Mayers struck 49 while Rahkeem Cornwall is unbeaten 43 to offer good support.

In the final session West Indies slipped to 222-7 but Brathwaite and Cornwall combined in an excellent unbroken 65-run eighth-wicket stand. Cornwall has so far hit six fours and a towering six over midwicket from 53 balls. For Sri Lanka, seamer Saranga Lakmal was again the best bowler with 3-71.

“Sri Lanka are a very disciplined bowling unit so for me it was about capitalising on the few bad balls and taking my time, letting the ball come to me. I always look to bat ‘time’… the runs will come once you’re out there,” Brathwaite said on the Sandals Player Zone after the day’s play.

He added: “This will be a very crucial first session tomorrow. Obviously, I would like to get a century, but I have to push on a look to get a big score ... it's all about batting for the team and leading from the front. We still have a lot of work to do ... we need to build a bigger score. Cornwall played really well this evening and I know he is capable of adding even more runs so we will look to bat deep

Last edited:
Cornwall is excellent find for West Indies . He and Roston Chase and Holder playing in same OD can make WI very strong

Braithwaite looks to bat through here , he may well be able to carry his bat through the innings here

Great stuff from Kraigg and Cornwall, WI were 185-6 at one point and now have got 350.

WI would be looking for early wickets to create pressure , but it would not be easy on this flat surface

Thirimmane is looking good again , I think he has matured as a batsman , and now fulfilling the talent he had.

Sri Lanka crawling along.

100 up but it's taken them 44 overs.

136 for 3 at close from 61 overs.

Painful viewing.

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Captain Kraigg Brathwaite made a masterful 126 and Rahkeem Cornwall hit a brilliant 73, as West Indies pushed their first innings score to 354 on the second day of the second Sandals Test match at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium on Tuesday.

Then in the final two sessions of the day, the home side bowled with great discipline on a placid surface as Sri Lanka reached 136-3 in reply – led by Lahiru Thirimanne with 55 – his third consecutive half-century of the series. The highlight of the day in the field was a magnificent one-handed catch by Nkrumah Bonner who dived from fourth slip to where third slip would be to dismiss left-hander Dimuth Karunaratne off pacer Alzarri Joseph.

West Indies took the initiative in the morning session through a record eighth-wicket stand of 103 between Brathwaite and Cornwall. The day started at 287-7, with Brathwaite on 99. He reached his ninth Test hundred off the second ball with a single to fine leg off pacer Suranga Lakmal – the leading bowler with 4-94. Brathwaite batted for 8-½ hours and he struck 13 fours.

Cornwall started the day on 43 and brought up his half-century in the third over with a boundary behind point. Overall, he hit 10 fours and a six off 92 balls to surpass his previous career-best of 61 made in the first Sandals Test last week.

“I took it upon myself to try to encourage the guys and ensure we kept going through the entire innings today. It was a pretty good effort from the bowlers so far .. this is not the kind of wicket on which you can just blast people out,” all-rounder Jason Holder said on the Sandals Player Zone at the end of the day.

“It’s pretty even-stevens with two set batsmen at the crease at the moment. Our bowlers toiled very hard, we’re still 60 overs in ... if we can grab one of two more wickets before the second new ball then I believe we’ll be pretty much in the game.”

Good setup to prise out Chandimal. Worked him over with the short ball.

Oh my, Jermaine Blackwood of all people takes a wicket. End of DDS.

To make matters worse for DDS, ball would've missed legstump ! He did not review.

I suggest he avoids Mickey's eyesight for the next 12 months :))

SL 5 down. New ball due for WI. Should try to get a 100 runs lead here.

To make matters worse for DDS, ball would've missed legstump ! He did not review.

That was one of the worst brain fade in recent times. It was the last over before the completion of 80 overs when the reviews would have been reset for both teams anyways. :jimmy

WI have kept getting wickets here , they need 5 more good balls here to wrap up Lanka. If they can restrict Lanka within 270 , they would be happy

WI 354
SL 189/5 (82.2) CRR: 2.3
Day 3: Lunch Break - Sri Lanka trail by 165 runs

Don't know why he wanted to retain reviews. To me it looks like this match is going to be draw or washed out anyway.

That was one of the worst brain fade in recent times. It was the last over before the completion of 80 overs when the reviews would have been reset for both teams anyways. :jimmy

I think the 80 over reset rule was scrapped a long back.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Update &#55356;&#57127; Rain has stopped here at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium but the covers still on. <br><br>We'll update you when we hear more! &#55356;&#57140;v &#55356;&#56817;&#55356;&#56816; <a href="https://t.co/DJfyYig58m">pic.twitter.com/DJfyYig58m</a></p>— Windies Cricket (@windiescricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/windiescricket/status/1377303859777921032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Holder and Joseph take two wickets each to give West Indies advantage

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Only 42.1 overs were possible due to rain, but West Indies took control of the match as they picked up five wickets on the third day of the second Sandals Test match against Sri Lanka.

Fast bowlers Jason Holder (2-39) and Alzarri Joseph (2-64) led the bowling attack and the home side now enter the fourth day with a lead of 104 runs while Sri Lanka have just two wickets in hand on a good pitch at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium.

West Indies reduced Sri Lanka to 250-8 when a final shower swept across the ground at 5:07 pm, which brought the day’s play to an end. Pathum Nissanka has so far played well is an unbeaten 49 off 119 balls with four fours.

The match will resume on Thursday at 9:30am (8:30am Jamaica Time) with a minimum of 98 overs due to be bowled.

That'll be the end of John Campbell. Suspect we'll see Darren Bravo open vs Pakistan.

Embuldeniya was stretchered off earlier, hope it's not too serious an injury.

Blackwood promoted to 3, Bonner seemed to be struggling with a knock himself.

SL 258
WI 354 & 69/2 (24) CRR: 2.88
Day 4: Lunch Break - West Indies lead by 165 runs

Good battle between Mayers and Chameera who's testing him with the short ball.

Brathwaite 33 from 91 balls
Mayers 33 from 48 balls

Contrast in the style of batting here :)

Oshada drops possibly the easiest short leg chance in history. That's inexcusable.

WI is 242 runs lead , they need to bat another 25 overs maximum and try to get 140 - 160 more runs here and declare

West Indies will definitely look at a lead of around 400 before they declare.

The pitch has no real demons in it for the batsmen, so I imagine it'll be really hard to bowl Sri Lanka out tomorrow.

Back