What squad should Pakistan pick for the Test series against England?

ChTab

Local Club Star
Runs
WC is now over for Pakistan.
As soon as groups were announced I knew that there's no chance of Pakistan getting out of the group stages.

Now we have 2 historical series to host. What is the XI that you will chose for the 1st match vs Eng in Rawalpindi.

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Imam ul Haq
3. Azhar Ali
4. Babar Azam(c)
5. Saud Shakeel/Kamran Ghulam
6. M Rizwan(wk)
7. Shahdab Khan
8. M Nawaz
9. Naseem Shah
10. Shaheen Shah
11. Haris Rauf

Abdullah has certainly done well in his short career so far that inns vs SL was so good hope he keeps on improving, we're in desperate need of a WC batter that can help us in all formats.

Azhar is not going anywhere especially after relatively good season in QEA Trophy that's why I have picked him in the squad otherwise I would chose Kamran Ghulam.

I'd like to keep Babar as test captain until next cycle of WTC.

One of Saud or Kamran has to play the 1st game. I cannot see Fawad Alam with his pathetic stance.

Shahdab & Nawaz are probably the best spinners we have in Pakistan plus they can be useful in batting as well.

Finally I have included Haris to be in the XI I think it's about time we see what he can do in the test matches as well.

i dont think shadab wants to play test cricket...

nawaz maybe yes.

better than otehrs.

1. Huraira
2. Saud
3. Abdullah
4. Babar
5. Saud
6. Salman Agha
7. Rizwan
8. Nawaz/Haris Rauf/M Umer (play 3 pacers if legit pindi wicket)
9. Shaheen
10. Naseem
11. Abrar

Abdullah S
Imam (S. Farhan backup)
Azhar Ali (Usman S backup)
Babar A
Saud S
Rizwan (WK, C)
Nawaz / Fahim (if SENA)
Haris Rauf / Naseem (both lack FC experience. Play 1)
Shaheen
Sameen Gul
Abrar Ahmed

Mir hamza(replacement of shaheen for atleast first test)
Nawaz should be our spin bowling allrounder
Abrar merit his place after his great form in QEA trophy

Openers: Abdullah shafiq,Imam ul haq,Shan masood

Middle order: Azhar ali ,babar azam,
,Fawad alam

Wicket keepers: Rizwan ,Sarfraz ahmed

Allrounder: Agha salman,M nawaz

Spinners: Yasir shah,Abrar ahmed

Fast bowlers: Shaheen shah,Mir hamza,Naseem shah,Haris rauf

Australia journalist Peter Lalor is saying that Shaheen wont play the first few tests.

I would like to see Shadab in tests. If he himself doenst want to play then who should come out and say it.

Middle order does need a revamp, Saud's chance is long over due. Abrar can also not be ignored

First few? There are three in total. So I guess wont play the test series or maybe one test at the end.

seems like it maybe the series. He mentioned it on his Podcast "Cricket, Et Cetera". He was at the semi and is pretty pro Pakistan, so I'm guessing he must have spoke to someone in management. Basically Shaheen is still playing through injury

seems like it maybe the series. He mentioned it on his Podcast "Cricket, Et Cetera". He was at the semi and is pretty pro Pakistan, so I'm guessing he must have spoke to someone in management. Basically Shaheen is still playing through injury

Would be a fair call to rest him as he is an asset. I think he is fit but, needs more rehab time as such injury requires. Few weeks after WT20 and he would be good to go hopefully. Still test series is sometime away, will all depend upon how his body recovers in rehab.

That's really sad news and a big blow to our chances then. I'd much rather have Shaheen sitting out the wt20 if it meant he could play the test series.

Abrar Ahmed surely would debut as he deserves it.

My 18 member squad (Wont be 18 as Pak is home team but still these should be around imo) would be;

Abdullah Shafique
Imam Ul Haq
Shan Masood
Azhar Ali (Still scoring runs in QAE so would keep in squad)
Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
Babar Azam (C)
Tayyab Tahir/ Usman Salahudin
Kamran Ghulam/ Agha Salman
Shadab Khan (If fit for red ball cricket)
Mohammad Nawaz
Abrar Ahmed
Mubasir Khan
Naseem Shah
Haris Rauf
Shahnawaz Dahani
Wasim Jr (Reverses it well and in Pakistan thats a weapon)
Mohammad Umar/ Mohammad Ali/ Mir Hamza (If Shaheen is not available)

Shaheen is out, a big blow for Pakistan. England looking good to win a major away series.

Imam
Abdullah
Azhar
Babar
Saud
Salman
Rizwan
Yasir
Abrar
Haris
Naseem

Am reading that Shaheen is going to be advised rest and rehab for almost 6 months. Will he ever return the same bowler?

Am reading that Shaheen is going to be advised rest and rehab for almost 6 months. Will he ever return the same bowler?

Lets hope he does not become jofra archer or mark wood or simon jones ( always injury probe)

Shaheen is out, a big blow for Pakistan. England looking good to win a major away series.

It shouldn't be easy for England. Australia won in Pakistan because they play spin very well in Asia. Since 2017, they have atleast 5 batters - Warner, Smith, Marnus, Carey, Khawaja who average 40+ specifically against spin in Asian conditions. In fact, only India and Pakistan play spin better.

England only have 2 proven batsmen against spin in Asia - Root and Keaton Jennings. Unless one of the young guns like Ollie Pope prove to be good spin players , they will find it tough.

The only guy who is experienced and useful enough to replace Shaheen is Amir

PCB need to bite this bullet and make a pay as you play contract with him for the Test series against ENG and NZ

We can still qualify for the WTC final if we put aside our egos and do what is right!

Imam
Abdullah
Azhar
Babar
Saud
Salman
Rizwan
Yasir
Abrar
Haris
Naseem
Yasir Shah has not taken many wickets this season.His avg is close to 41.The top three wicket takers are Abrar,Muhammad Umar and Mubasir.
Sameen Gul,Arshad Iqbal and Zafar Gohar have decent averages too but they haven’t played many games.

My XI

1. Imam
2. Shafique
3. Azhar
4. Babar
5. Shan
6. Rizwan
7. Nawaz
8. A Jamal
9. Abrar
10. Rauf
11. Naseem

PCB need to bite this bullet and make a pay as you play contract with him for the Test series against ENG and NZ

We can still qualify for the WTC final if we put aside our egos and do what is right!
My God! How about make your mate Asif Ali the test captain as well.

I would rather not qualify than have Amir in the squad.

My xi

Abdullah
Imaam
Azhar
Babar
Saud Shakeel
Rizwan
Mubasir
Nawaz/Dahani depending on conditions
Abrar Ahmed
Naseem Shah
Mir Hamza

Bench
Kamran Ghullam
Yasir Shah
Usman Salahuddin
Rauf he's been bowling alot of overs don't think he can survive tests with the pace amount of pace.

Hurraira has been In brilliant form but I think he will miss out.

Abrar Ahmed surely would debut as he deserves it.

My 18 member squad (Wont be 18 as Pak is home team but still these should be around imo) would be;

Abdullah Shafique
Imam Ul Haq
Shan Masood
Azhar Ali (Still scoring runs in QAE so would keep in squad)
Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
Babar Azam (C)
Tayyab Tahir/ Usman Salahudin
Kamran Ghulam/ Agha Salman
Shadab Khan (If fit for red ball cricket)
Mohammad Nawaz
Abrar Ahmed
Mubasir Khan
Naseem Shah
Haris Rauf
Shahnawaz Dahani
Wasim Jr (Reverses it well and in Pakistan thats a weapon)
Mohammad Umar/ Mohammad Ali/ Mir Hamza (If Shaheen is not available)

Would you include Mubasir based upon 15 aswell.

Ramiz is going to interfere in the pitch making as well rendering high scoring drawn series probably.

Rizwan shouldn't bat higher than no.6 like what happened in SL.

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Imam ul Haq
3. Shan Masood
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Babar Azam
6. Kamran Ghulam
7. Mohammad Nawaz
8. Mohammad Rizwan
9. Naseem Shah
10. Sameen Gul
11. Mir Hamza
12. Fahim Ashraf
13. Hasan Ali
14. Abrar Ahmed
15. Zafar Gohar
16. Yasir Shah

But I guess Azhar Ali would be brought back.

Don't know what sort of place is Nawaz is in currently. They may rest him going by how little faith Babar showed in his bowling after the first match.

Time to play Shan Masood in the format he should be most suited for.

since its a home series, and no more covid protocol, guessing they will select a 12 man squad for each test.

mine for the first test

Abdullah shafique
imam ul haq

azhar ali (wont retire, and PCB wont drop him so he stays)
babar azam
said shakeel (its now or never with him)
rizwan
nawaz

abrar ahmed (he cannot be ignored given the season he has had)
naseem shah
haris rauf
Mohamad umar (has been consistent for sindh without being spectacular, could do the workhorse role as rauf bowls short intense spells)

12th man Mohamad hurraira (i know he wont get a game, but he should be kept around the squad, especially to motivate the other openers and azhar ali to keep performing)

You can't produce the same flat dead tracks we served up in the Australian series.

Our spin stocks are dry but we have the pacers to do the job. I would give Abrar a go and select 4 pacers and just instruct them to go for the kill i.e. get wickets.

Would you include Mubasir based upon 15 aswell.

If Shadab is not fit enough for red ball cricket then yes, I believe its right time to have Mubasir in the mix as an offie in test cricket who is an all rounder with noteworthy averages in both batting and bowling deserves a go. He has played decent amount of matches so it would be good time to induct him especially when Sajid is out of the radar as of now by the looks of it. Doesnt look likely though.

question should also be...what kind of pitches are they going to roll out? pak can't afford draws any more in this WTC23.

What sort of season Amir Jamal/Faheem Ashraf have had?

Amir Jamal has been bowling pretty well with a fifer and an eightfer and had a one big score of 80*. In terms of batting Faheem overall doing better with a 109* and 87. Bowling of Faheem has been okish with nothing much to right home about.

For number 7 it would have been a clear call for Faheem if we didnt have the option of Nawaz as 2nd spinner at 8 as he gives batting dimension as well. With Nawaz in the XI even Jamal can be handy as he has been bowling better overall.

Either ways good to see both of them performing at one facet or another.

Amir Jamal has been bowling pretty well with a fifer and an eightfer and had a one big score of 80*. In terms of batting Faheem overall doing better with a 109* and 87. Bowling of Faheem has been okish with nothing much to right home about.

For number 7 it would have been a clear call for Faheem if we didnt have the option of Nawaz as 2nd spinner at 8 as he gives batting dimension as well. With Nawaz in the XI even Jamal can be handy as he has been bowling better overall.

Either ways good to see both of them performing at one facet or another.

no way they are gonna pick jamal due to obvious reason .We already will have inexperience bowling lineup consist of nasim shah,haris rauf,abbas or mir hamza .So selector will be already reluctant to include another debutant in the squad .Most probably they will stick to fahim due to his solid performances in test format

With shaheen probably out of series,test squad against England shall be
Shaan Masood
Abdullah shafiq
Imam ul haq
Babar
Saud shakeel
Mubasir khan
Rizwan(wk)
Abrar Ahmad
Naseem Shah
Hamza
Mohammad abbas

Hopefully not Azhar Ali. I would like to see to see Huraira at 3 and also someone new at 5. It may be too much but Mubashir at 7 could also be welcome addition. No Nauman, Sajid or Yasir please.

With shaheen probably out of series,test squad against England shall be
Shaan Masood
Abdullah shafiq
Imam ul haq
Babar
Saud shakeel
Mubasir khan
Rizwan(wk)
Abrar Ahmad
Naseem Shah
Hamza
Mohammad abbas

Abbas and Hamza? We aren't playing in England in May

If Shadab is not fit enough for red ball cricket then yes, I believe its right time to have Mubasir in the mix as an offie in test cricket who is an all rounder with noteworthy averages in both batting and bowling deserves a go. He has played decent amount of matches so it would be good time to induct him especially when Sajid is out of the radar as of now by the looks of it. Doesnt look likely though.

Same I would pick him in the squad he provides the right balance and has decent domestic stats.

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Imam ul Haq
3. Kamran Ghulam
4. Babar Azam(c)
5. Saud Shakeel
6. M Rizwan(wk)
7. Shahdab Khan
8. Abrar Ahmed
9. Naseem Shah
10. Shaheen Shah / Dhani
11. Haris Rauf

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Shan Massood
3. Imam ul Haq
4. Barbar Azam (c)
5. Kamran Ghulam
6. M Rizwan (wk)
7. Faheem Ashraf
8. Zafar Gohar
9. Yasir Shah
10. Haris Rauf
11. Naseem Shah

Yasir Shah gets the vote as he has a good record against England and you would think home pitches will suit him. The first test looks to have been moved to Karachi instead of Pindi so a second spinner is needed.

Zafar should be given a go as Nouman & Sajid Ali have been really bad this calendar year & he is a left arm spinner.

No thanks Rana, he is not needed.

PCB needs to treat this series like a World Cup, Proper planning and analysis should be done regarding opposition. Shaun Tait should be with team atleast 2 weeks prior to the 1st Test. and most important the selection should be on merit and transparent. This series is not for random testing of younsters rather experienced players should be bonded with the mission of winning.

Imam
ABShafiq
Shan
Babar
HSohail
Rizwan
Nawaz
Shadab
HassanAli
Naseem
Abbas

Res: Faheem, Rauf, Haris+,
no need to go with nobodies like Agha Salman, Sajid & Nauman etc, also had beens like Azhar Ali and Sarfraz should be discarded.

Ramiz is going to interfere in the pitch making as well rendering high scoring drawn series probably.

Rizwan shouldn't bat higher than no.6 like what happened in SL.

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Imam ul Haq
3. Shan Masood
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Babar Azam
6. Kamran Ghulam
7. Mohammad Nawaz
8. Mohammad Rizwan
9. Naseem Shah
10. Sameen Gul
11. Mir Hamza
12. Fahim Ashraf
13. Hasan Ali
14. Abrar Ahmed
15. Zafar Gohar
16. Yasir Shah

But I guess Azhar Ali would be brought back.

Don't know what sort of place is Nawaz is in currently. They may rest him going by how little faith Babar showed in his bowling after the first match.

This is the one, I like this squad.

Abrar has to play over Nawaz. He’s knocking hard on the selectors’ doors and Nawaz needs a break from cricket, you don’t need a psychology degree to see the kind of mental state Nawaz has been in for the past few weeks. Last thing he needs is to play an important series in the most grueling format there is.

Yes it opens up the question of an allrounder, but in his current state Nawaz isn’t doing anything

Also, I would have Aamer Jamal over Faheem. Aamer has been performing with the ball in FC as well.

Don’t know about the whole squad but I have definite ins and outs:

In:
Abdullah Shafique
Saud Shakeel
Saim Ayub
Ghulam
Shan Masood
Shadab Khan
Naseem Shah
Haris Rauf
Fahim Ashraf
Hasnain

Out:
Azhar Ali
Fawad Alam
Abbas
Nauman Ali
Shaheen (obviously on injury grounds. He should rehabilitate for at least 6 months if not a year)

Uncertain:
Hasan Ali

An important test series coming up. I hope that PCB invests in the next set of core players here.

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Shan Masood
3. Umar Amin
4. Babar
5. Kamran Ghulam
6. Rizwan
7. Shadab
8. Zafar Gohar / Sajid Khan
9. Hasan Ali
10. Naseem
11. Hasnain

As far as bowling is concerned we would be light given Shaheen is injured so I'm hoping Hasan Ali takes up the mantle here. We need to invest in Hasnain as a test bowler he gets it in the right lengths time and time again which is suited more to test cricket.

The rest of the squad can be made up as follows:
Imam, Rohail Nazir, Faheem Ashraf, Israrullah and Mir Hamza

I have denominated Imam simply because of his lacklustre attitude of not playing the QEA trophy and also for what he has played so far he has been abysmal. PCB needs to have a word with him to ensure his attitude always remains positive for the game.

Report:

The young wicket-keeper of Balochistan, Haseebullah, might be given a chance along with wicketkeeper Mohammad Rizwan in the team for the home Test series against England later in December.

Sarfaraz Ahmed is likely to be dropped from the national team. Leg-spinner Yasir Shah has been dropped due to poor performance, and young spinner Abrar Ahmed is being considered to replace him in the squad.

Spin bowling is being relied upon by Mohammad Nawaz and Nouman Ali. Fast bowler Mohammad Abbas will make a comeback after his consistent performance in the domestic side. He will depend on Hasan Ali, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf, and Shah Nawaz Dhani. In place of Shaheen Shah Afridi, now Haris Rauf will be the main weapon of Pakistan's bowling line-up.

Haris Rauf will also be making his debut in this test series against the three lions. Aamir Jamal or Faheem Ashraf will be selected among the all-rounders for the all-important test clash.

There is no major change in Pakistan's batting line. Azhar Ali, Shan Masood, Imamul Haq, Babar Azam along with Mohammad Rizwan. The announcement of the national team for the Test series is expected in a couple of days.

If Hasebullah Khan makes his debut will he be the first player from Balochistan to make his test debut.

My 11
Imam ul haq
Abdullah shafique
Azhar ali
Babar azam
Fawad alam
Mohammad rizwan
Shadab khan
Abrar ahmed
Mohammad Abbas
Naseem Shah
Haris rauf

Rest of the squad

Mohammad nawaz
Saud shakeel
Mohammad Hurraira
Shahnawaz dahani

Report:

The young wicket-keeper of Balochistan, Haseebullah, might be given a chance along with wicketkeeper Mohammad Rizwan in the team for the home Test series against England later in December.

Sarfaraz Ahmed is likely to be dropped from the national team. Leg-spinner Yasir Shah has been dropped due to poor performance, and young spinner Abrar Ahmed is being considered to replace him in the squad.

Spin bowling is being relied upon by Mohammad Nawaz and Nouman Ali. Fast bowler Mohammad Abbas will make a comeback after his consistent performance in the domestic side. He will depend on Hasan Ali, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf, and Shah Nawaz Dhani. In place of Shaheen Shah Afridi, now Haris Rauf will be the main weapon of Pakistan's bowling line-up.

Haris Rauf will also be making his debut in this test series against the three lions. Aamir Jamal or Faheem Ashraf will be selected among the all-rounders for the all-important test clash.

There is no major change in Pakistan's batting line. Azhar Ali, Shan Masood, Imamul Haq, Babar Azam along with Mohammad Rizwan. The announcement of the national team for the Test series is expected in a couple of days.

Oh no, another decade wasted with likes of AA. And then we wonder why we never kick on. Average to poor players getting decade long careers for no apparent reason. Surely the Malik- Hafeez thing would have taught us a thing but alas nothing learnt

I just hope they stack their middle order with players who can play spin and prepare tank turners

Haseebullah has got good potential but he is no way ready for red ball...he needs white ball first.

Oh no, another decade wasted with likes of AA. And then we wonder why we never kick on. Average to poor players getting decade long careers for no apparent reason. Surely the Malik- Hafeez thing would have taught us a thing but alas nothing learnt

Hope this will be the end of AA , what a torture for years , his test career last for 13 years and he still cannot lead the batting lineup, not considered as a pricey wicket and when he is at the crease its more of a blessing to opposition because he will bat at 30+SR and the score never moves.. even if he face 150balls he would score say 30-40 runs.. Waste of time..

If Pakistan want to win they need to prepare turning pitches. Then go in with One fast bowler and one seam bowling all rounder. 2 specialist spinners plus one spin all rounder.

EXample : harris Rauf , Faheem Ashraf , two specialist spinners , plus Nawaz.

Imam
ABShafiq
Shan
Babar
Hsohail
Rizwan
Nawaz
Shadab
Faheem
Naseem
Rauf

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chief Selector Muhammad Wasim will announce the Pakistan squad tomorrow for a three-match Test series against England at 11.15 am local time <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvENG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PAKvENG</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1594346133089767426?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 20, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back