Will the weather have an impact on the outcome of the ICC World Cup 2023?

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The match between South Africa and Afghanistan was supposed to be played on Friday, September 29, at the Barsapara Cricket Stadium in Guwahati. However, due to heavy rain and a wet outfield, the umpires called off the game at 3:45 p.m. without a single ball being bowled. Today as well, both the warm-up games are affected by rain.
What are your views about this rain affecting this World Cup?

Dew will play spoilsport more than rain. Rain mostly retreats after September.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain has already spoiled 3 games, although these are just warm-up games but still the teams will like to be on the field to assess the condition which is not the case for these matches until now.

The weather here in Guwahati currently is extremely gloomy. Looks like it will play spoilsport in the India vs England warmup match here today.

We are almost at the end of monsoon season, it generally rains until 15th October or so in South India but this year due to El Nino effect, the rains are expected to end early. In North India it shouldn't be a problem at all once October starts as far as I know.

So I don't think Rain will play spoilsport... Don't worry much about that.

The weather here in Guwahati currently is extremely gloomy. Looks like it will play spoilsport in the India vs England warmup match here today.
I can guarantee the match will be abandoned. It’s raining heavily here.

Seems like we are still stuck with Asia Cup.

2011 World Cup was played in summer At The moment lots of rain in various locations in India

A Question since i do not know but from October to November does it rain often in India, their might be some matches that can get effected if the case

No. Rains will not have much impact in World Cup

By 1st week of October, the monsoons will be over in most parts of India. Those areas where monsoon will persist ( like Kerela / Guwahati ) have not been allocated World Cup games - precisely for this reason. Another venue where monsoon will persist is Calcutta - that's why games in Calcutta have been scheduled towards the end of Oct - by then monsoons will be over even in Bengal

There is slight chance of rain in Chennai - bcoz they get heavy rains towards the end of Oct , but by then games in Chennai will be over

Of course there might be random rains / thunderstorms at some venues but by and large by 2nd week of Oct - it will be dry season over most parts of India

The dew factor is a big concern for me. Obviously this is something that varies during the time of the year in India. I wonder how much of an impact this will have in October/November for the Day/Night matches.

I think the dew could make things interesting
Usually, in batting-friendly conditions, you would want to bat first, put a big total up on the board and then put the opposition under pressure
The question is, with dew coming into play at the end of October onward, would teams elect to bowl first?

The dew factor is a big concern for me. Obviously this is something that varies during the time of the year in India. I wonder how much of an impact this will have in October/November for the Day/Night matches.
Dew factor is going to be very critical for 2nd( from 20-22 oct onwards ) part of world cup.

It is a very long tournament and there should be some matches that would be affected by the weather but I think for most of the matches, whether should be good enough to produce a result.

As always, the rain is only bothersome before the match starts or if your team is winning.

It always rains in Assam, lol.
Why did they keep a world cup match there?
I spent years of my life there and used to carry an umbrella all the time when I went out, it doesn't make an sense to keep world cup matches there, also the assamese people are more into football.

There is no need to worry though, apart from a couple of venues (exactly 2 tbh - Guwahati and Thiruvananthpuram), there wont be any rain interruption

More rains expected for the warm-ups today

Is the scheduling of this World Cup been done right?

Its Rain vs All teams world cup. Both warm up games got affected by rain today

Can somebody explain the dew factor. Seems there was a lot of dew in the 2nd half in Chennai. In the south will there always be dew in the evenings in October? Id hate to see conditions affect the result this much.

Dew will be over India and will only increase going into the winter

Back