Yasir Hameed as an opener?

bablu_khan

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Yasir Hameed

I think he was one guy who would have definately fixed our problems for atleast one opener. But he wasn't giving a proper run.

He was pretty good in Odi's and is batting style would have definately suited in test too.

I hope he will be called back again once to prove his critics wrong.

He was a no 3 batsman who was asked to open later on. I still feel we should give him an extended run in the middle order in both ODI's and test matches.

The "Fisherman" was given a lot of chances and dropped. I agree he probably is not as lucky as say Salman Butt, Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, etc.. He also had better technique than most of these guys but it was his tendency to fish outside off that proved his downfall.

Lately also he has not been performing in domestic cricket and push a claim to get his spot back so I dont think its grave injustice. But yeah I think he has probably the better technically of the tried and tested failed opening batsmen we have tried in this decade.

Stewie said:
The "Fisherman" was given a lot of chances and dropped. I agree he probably is not as lucky as say Salman Butt, Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, etc.. He also had better technique than most of these guys but it was his tendency to fish outside off that proved his downfall.

Lately also he has not been performing in domestic cricket and push a claim to get his spot back so I dont think its grave injustice. But yeah I think he has probably the better technically of the tried and tested failed opening batsmen we have tried in this decade.

But one thing that stood out as Hameed is concerned is his ability to play shots all over the park. Yes he had his weaknesses, his shot selection was a problem but he hasnt been given the extended chances the likes of Butt, Farhat were given.

I dont think he should have opened, he should bat in the middle order. But he was way talented than the brigade of Hafeez, Farhat, T.Umar, Manzoor e.t.c

Yes oh yes.. I certainly agree he had all the shots in the book and once again was technically far superior to Taufiq Umar, Salman Butt, Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, Hafeez and the recent glut of openers tried in ODIs and T20s.

But it was either bad temprament, lack of confidence or poor shot selection that caused his falling out of reckoning. It is a shame sometimes how fine a line between international success and failure is. Tendulkar and Kambli come to mind.

I think we have not seen the end of Hamid though. He might fight his way back in in the next year or two if we continue to struggle with batting.

I think the best player technically was Taufiq. He looked great against the Saffies but then came a cropper when low on confidence. At least he looked to occupy the crease and technically he tried to go back and across to get behind the ball.

As for Yasir I always felt that he didn't get his feet into the right position and therefore didn't have sufficient balance at all times. Thus, as is the case with most Pakistani batsmen, he stayed inside the line and pushed at the ball. He was susceptibe to any bowler who moved the ball away.

LOL Yasir Hameed ?
He doesnt have IT to play International cricket, too soft.
Plus he cant play any kind of SPIN BOWLING !

Taufeeq Umar?

You must be joking.. he was tehcnically inept. He is one international player who I have seen get bowled around legs very often. What does that tell you?

Savak said:
He was a no 3 batsman who was asked to open later on. I still feel we should give him an extended run in the middle order in both ODI's and test matches.
He couldn't even play Kumble, a spinner who doesn't turn it, and you want him to bat in the middle order. Please.

I never forgot him! He is my first choice and one of my favourite players! Screw pakistani selectors for destrying such a talent! Hope he cums bak to shut everyone up!

The guy is a fisher. He has no temperament. He has no application.

But because his technique is good you want him to open. :14:

Malik fails lets get Misbah in (despite him being a failure)

Manzoor fails lets get Nazir in (despite him also being a failure)

This is what this thread is really about :

ABC fails bring in another tried and tested failure, XYZ, because my short term memory means that I forget how terrible XYZ was in the first place and for some reason I think that by playing domestic cricket for the last few years he has now transformed himself into Ricky Ponting.

Shabaash. :14:

Lightning said:
He couldn't even play Kumble, a spinner who doesn't turn it, and you want him to bat in the middle order. Please.

Inzamam also struggled a lot against Kumble, does that make him any less of a WC player?

Put Imran Nazir out there, i'd much rather see him at least trying to be positive. At the moment the only chance our openers have of being positive is if they get HIV.

I would like to see Hameed back as an opener. Better than Farhat and co. Who should partner him??? Maybe Imran Nazir :iamlegend

Of all the current openers tried , tested and failed to open for pakistan in tests over the last few years

yasir hameed

and

taufeeq umar

were the best and were given the least chances

salman butt and imran farhat were the worst but were given the longest chances

:13:

i think pakistan should bring them back or give new talent atry namely khalid latif and ahmad shezad

but i would have hameed in the team over the current lot anyday

they have all played roughly the same number of Tests, enough with the 'given more chances' BS

Yasir Hameed has got 2 50's in 4 innings in Australia. Overall he has looked good, except in India when Kumble got to him.

Taufeeq? Hmm, not sure. Has only played well against the minnows, although he has a good record against SA. Shuffles way too much.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
they have all played roughly the same number of Tests, enough with the 'given more chances' BS

That applies to Salman Butt aswell

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

hmm... :13:

they have but i just feel its unjust that they continue to give the worst openers of the lot farhat (28 tests , ave 32.26 pathetic catcher) & butt (22 tests, ave 28.65 pathetic fielder) chances , when clearly taufeeq (25 tests, ave 39.29) & hameed(23 tests, ave 34.52) performed better and were discarded

It obvious pakistan chose the wrong two to recall for the series and they will continue to fail and drop catchs :po: :pissed:

Don't only see at the average, you got to see where and againt who as well.

No thanks, only so many times I can watch him play a majestic cover drive for four before edging an identical delivery into the hands of first slip two balls later.

He is technically better than Farhats and Nazirs for sure. His problem is more mental than anything else. Needs to be given a lot of confidence to perform. Should be sent on A tours to SA, Aus, Eng or NZ and if he performs should be given an extended run in the test side.

As Imran Khan has said many times Yasir and Salman are should open for pak. I have no idea why so many people hate salman. The guy has a Test century in Aus against Aus!
against Mcgrath, Warne and co. Hameed has much better temperament and skill than most pak batsman, though I fear it is too late as his confidence and form seems to have deserted him.

Still if I was in charge I would bring in Butt and Hameed and give them a run of 10-15 test innings together.

i think out of all the players tried out in the last 10 years, yasir hameed and taufeeq umar are easily the 2 best openers for test matches

I think it's fair to say Kumble ruined Yasir's short career.

I still rate him higher than our current lot though.

master_blaster said:
Of all the current openers tried , tested and failed to open for pakistan in tests over the last few years

yasir hameed

and

taufeeq umar

were the best and were given the least chances

salman butt and imran farhat were the worst but were given the longest chances

:13:

i think pakistan should bring them back or give new talent atry namely khalid latif and ahmad shezad

but i would have hameed in the team over the current lot anyday

don't even compare taufeeq and salman. one of them is capable of scoring a test hundred against an aussie attack consisting of gillespie, warne, mcgrath. taufeeq scored against a toothless south african attack on dead pakistani wickets

Desi said:
don't even compare taufeeq and salman. one of them is capable of scoring a test hundred against an aussie attack consisting of gillespie, warne, mcgrath. taufeeq scored against a toothless south african attack on dead pakistani wickets

oh ur right we should compare the great salman butt to the likes of hayden, saeed anwar and sunil gavaskar :14:

and now with his match winning knock , we can expect a masterclass in fielding from him with some expert catching ;-)

coy0607 said:
i think out of all the players tried out in the last 10 years, yasir hameed and taufeeq umar are easily the 2 best openers for test matches

couldnt agree more, yet the morons who select the sqaud keep on picking the likes of butt and farhat , they must have some serious backers

Today the openers put on 60 runs. It was painstaking and I believe it did the team more harm than good. Pakistan needs to win this match, rain is in the air and a run rate of less than 2 is not good enough! I would like Nazir in the team, he may fail but at least he will try to score runs and wont drop catch after catch.

mindless slogging said:
The guy is a neutral. I know you love Butt (and have to justify Farhat as he outscored the Butt), but open your eyes and see reality. That 60 partnership had a great deal of luck.

And this for international openers. :)))

great deal of luck?! like what?! both played exceptionally well when you see the overhead conditions...if you're expecting your openers to go at 4 an over in the 1st session of the 1st day's play at a Test match in NZ, then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
great deal of luck?! like what?! both played exceptionally well when you see the overhead conditions...if you're expecting your openers to go at 4 an over in the 1st session of the 1st day's play at a Test match in NZ, then you must be living in cloud cuckoo land/QUOTE]

There is a reason, even having played on dead pitches in Pak and India, that both average 29 and 32 repectively.

P.S. I don't know if you watched the first few overs, where most balls went past the edge than were played. Why not leave it. Oh yeah, because they can't play.

mindless slogging said:
Yeah, change the argument and attack that. Weak.

There is a reason, even having played on dead pitches in Pak and India, that both average 29 and 32 repectively.

P.S. I don't know if you watched the first few overs, where most balls went past the edge than were played. Why not leave it. Oh yeah, because they can't play.

I saw the whole opening stand, and barring the 1st over when Martin beat Farhat a few times, they looked very good out there...so what, now an opener cannot even get beaten by a good delivery now?

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
I saw the whole opening stand, and barring the 1st over when Martin beat Farhat a few times, they looked very good out there...so what, now an opener cannot even get beaten by a good delivery now?

Where do you make your conclusions up from? Blind love?

Both were beaten many a times. And rather than leaving the ball (what an opener ought to do), they didn't know what to play and what to leave. International standard? No. Hence the need to differentiate.

P.S. Don't tarnish good openers with these guys. They get beat by any rubbish. If it was a good delivery (there were a few by Martin), I would acknowledge it. They both have a history far exceeding this match.

mindless slogging said:
Where do you make your conclusions up from? Blind love?

Both were beaten many a times. And rather than leaving the ball (what an opener ought to do), they didn't know what to play and what to leave. International standard? No. Hence the need to differentiate.

P.S. Don't tarnish good openers with these guys. They get beat by any rubbish. If it was a good delivery (there were a few by Martin), I would acknowledge it. They both have a history far exceeding this match.

I could say the same for you, you seem to be watching them with blind hate and nothing else...they were out there for 2 hours on a difficult track that had plenty of movement and good bounce...if any other batsman had batted like that it would be deemed a gutsy effort, but when it comes to our batsmen, they were playing 'slowly' and 'wasting time'...who else lasted for more than 2 hours on that pitch, please tell me.

Forget all these tried and tested failures - even when they manage to score 30-40 runs its at a snail's pace, totally kills the chance of building momentum

I suggest we have Shahzaib and Imran Nazir open - the closest things we have to Sehwag (admittedly about 20 runs away from him) BUT its about time we got guys who play aggresive and positive cricket. At best they can give is a flying start, at worst its like it currently is

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
I could say the same for you, you seem to be watching them with blind hate and nothing else...they were out there for 2 hours on a difficult track that had plenty of movement and good bounce...if any other batsman had batted like that it would be deemed a gutsy effort, but when it comes to our batsmen, they were playing 'slowly' and 'wasting time'...who else lasted for more than 2 hours on that pitch, please tell me.

If most batsmen in the world batted like that, it would be termed a disgrace. Actually, if Broad, Anderson, Steyn and Johnson batted like that, it would be termed 'gutsy'. And these are international standard openers.

P.S. the middle-order is as bad. You comparing Butt with Malik is comparing one substandard opener to a substandard middle-order. But then again, we have lowered our standards now haven't we? I mean averaging 28 in tests (with many at home) makes you the best opener in Pakistan.

Heres 5 to chose from...no thread on Taufeeq, add the 2 guys in place (But / Farhat) - thats 8 openers 'we' want

Any bowlers?

Attachments

• opp.JPG
    opp.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 358
Geordie Ahmed said:
Forget all these tried and tested failures - even when they manage to score 30-40 runs its at a snail's pace, totally kills the chance of building momentum

I suggest we have Shahzaib and Imran Nazir open - the closest things we have to Sehwag (admittedly about 20 runs away from him) BUT its about time we got guys who play aggresive and positive cricket. At best they can give is a flying start, at worst its like it currently is

Khalid Latif is complete batsman with no technical fault

Imran Nazir n Shahzaib should open in T-20 , Khalid Latif and Salman Butt should open In ODI and then in Test Salman Butt and Ahmed Shahzad should open ....in all 3 formats Back-up third opener should be Imran Farhat :D

Ayyub said:
Khalid Latif is complete batsman with no technical fault

Imran Nazir n Shahzaib should open in T-20 , Khalid Latif and Salman Butt should open In ODI and then in Test Salman Butt and Ahmed Shahzad should open ....in all 3 formats Back-up third opener should be Imran Farhat :D

Are you being sarcastic?

Oxy said:
Heres 5 to chose from...no thread on Taufeeq, add the 2 guys in place (But / Farhat) - thats 8 openers 'we' want

Any bowlers?

you forogt YK, he's supposed to be tried as opener as well

Geordie Ahmed said:
Are you being sarcastic?

dude this is where u pakistani people fails he has played only 3 matches and i have seen no fault in his batting and deseves to be ODI team .

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
you forogt YK, he's supposed to be tried as opener as well

YK has been tired as WK , opener , lower order hitter , then now Middle order batsman same is the case with Shoaib Malik

Ayyub said:
dude this is where u pakistani people fails he has played only 3 matches and i have seen no fault in his batting and deseves to be ODI team .

he meant when you said 'technical fault'

Another past it tried and tested failure

Now is the time to try someone like Ahmed Shehzad or that lad who scored 140 odd in that U-19 match....someone anyone must be better than the tripe we have representing Pakistan

Luton Bad Boy said:
Another past it tried and tested failure

Now is the time to try someone like Ahmed Shehzad or that lad who scored 140 odd in that U-19 match....someone anyone must be better than the tripe we have representing Pakistan
totally agree with you..he is tried and tested failure...lets give a chance to a youngster.

I think the best they can do is:

Get some young blood as a opener our u-19 captain might be good enough
and Sarfraz Ahmed better keeper than kamran Akmal and Better Batsman than Malik and Misbah are.

@ mindless

Salman Butt did look pretty solid out there. I mean I pretty much saw the whole opening stand. Farhat, despite all his shortcomings, was pretty decent upfront aswell.

@ AZ

Despite all their good work both Butt and Farhat made their averages and then got out. So in all the opening partnership may have been a success (considering how we usually do) but Butt and Farhat on individual levels failed.

I'm not having a go at Butt here though. If we're really gonna give him a come back then lets give him a fair old go.

Farhat, however, is the lowest of the low.

Stewie said:
Taufeeq Umar?

You must be joking.. he was tehcnically inept. He is one international player who I have seen get bowled around legs very often. What does that tell you?

That he overdid the back and across movement when low on confidence? At least he was trying to get in the right position, which is more than can be said about any of the openers we have had since Shoaib Mohammed.

On that note probably the crucial point in the demise in quality of our openers was when Shoaib was ditched for a no-hoper like Rameez. Says it all really.

so Imran Khan was wrong to stick with RR?

Honestly, people forget easily these days. Yasir Hameed was rightfully dropped, 2 years later people still want to pick him because of todays failures. To be honest, none of these openers are good, you name it, Farhat, Butt, Hameed, Hafeez. What the management should do is bring in 2 young openers should have never played international cricket. That's the best thing possible.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
so Imran Khan was wrong to stick with RR?

2 rotten centuries against Minnows in 50 odd tests says it all.

Have to say that on this Khan saab was wrong.

He'll obviously be back sooner than later (this is Pakistan cricket, after all, and he is an opener!) but I doubt he'd be too successful. Technique is not everything but he had way too many issues, and importantly, was a no-hoper against spin. Not a bad player against fast bowling; could get bogged down in the limited overs format - which is strange for a player of his stroke making ability - but a decent option for Tests.

Forgetting all that though, how good was he at playing the ball through the covers? Absolutely regal driver of the cricket ball.

Six years ago when PAK toured NZ Yasir Hameed was considered as one of the rising stars of world cricket, i don't think it was a good idea to turn him in to an opener.

PlanetPakistan said:
Six years ago when PAK toured NZ Yasir Hameed was considered as one of the rising stars of world cricket, i don't think it was a good idea to turn him in to an opener.

sadly but true :(

Amoeba said:
That he overdid the back and across movement when low on confidence? At least he was trying to get in the right position, which is more than can be said about any of the openers we have had since Shoaib Mohammed.

On that note probably the crucial point in the demise in quality of our openers was when Shoaib was ditched for a no-hoper like Rameez. Says it all really.
Yeah, that was a stunning decision. Shoaib was a top class test match opener. Regularly saw off the new ball giving the likes of Javed and Salim a base to work with. Technically correct, disciplined, with great levels of concentration. Haven't had someone like him in a long time.

Yasir Hameed as a opener @ Australian Tour

Hi guyz

I think we should have Yasir Hameed as a opener @Australian tour....
what's your views ????

The words you need to remember:

HE is history

Why on earth do we need another opener who has a passion with fishing on the off-stump?

Please try someone new and fresh and give that opener a consistent run

Stay away from tried and tested failures

Sheikh said:
Yeah, that was a stunning decision. Shoaib was a top class test match opener. Regularly saw off the new ball giving the likes of Javed and Salim a base to work with. Technically correct, disciplined, with great levels of concentration. Haven't had someone like him in a long time.

I have watched few of Shoaib Mohammad's knocks when I was 7-9 yo. What I remember and learned through commentary Richie & Chusti Mujahid (If I am not mistaken) then they thought he was a 'real deal' as there were no good opening batsmen after Majid & Mohsin (who was great only for a period of time).

I remember he was really slow. He did not scored for 4-6 overs continuously but the commentator seem to like him a lot and keep mentioning Hanif again and again. Then he played some classic straight drives, although I was child but I learned the first terminology from his 'straight-drive'.

The reason we don't produce such players is our masses don't like such players. We always like a destructive shot maker or some one who has charisma, attitude and style. Not a guy who is genuinely talented with proper technique and temperament with zero mass-appeal and out-of-field style. Even A Qadir's batting (mostly in ODIs) was more popular than Shoaib's.

Last edited:
6 years on and we still are experimenting players who prefer play in other position as openers. Here we have Yasir Hameed.

Today we have reports of Sarfraz, Jamshed, YK, Maqsood, Haris or even Irfan opening. Truth is since Anwar's retirement, opening issue had started - what made it worse was Butt's conviction of spot fixing.

Could Babar be the solution?

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but, should have kept him, he was discarded too quickly.

I have watched few of Shoaib Mohammad's knocks when I was 7-9 yo. What I remember and learned through commentary Richie & Chusti Mujahid (If I am not mistaken) then they thought he was a 'real deal' as there were no good opening batsmen after Majid & Mohsin (who was great only for a period of time).

I remember he was really slow. He did not scored for 4-6 overs continuously but the commentator seem to like him a lot and keep mentioning Hanif again and again. Then he played some classic straight drives, although I was child but I learned the first terminology from his 'straight-drive'.

The reason we don't produce such players is our masses don't like such players. We always like a destructive shot maker or some one who has charisma, attitude and style. Not a guy who is genuinely talented with proper technique and temperament with zero mass-appeal and out-of-field style. Even A Qadir's batting (mostly in ODIs) was more popular than Shoaib's.

Do you remember who was the coach when he was kicked out? yes, our very own WY.
Yasir also became a victim of of a scandal. Remember he was taped saying bad things about some of the cricketers, re spot fixing?
His career was politically over, since then.

6 years on and we still are experimenting players who prefer play in other position as openers. Here we have Yasir Hameed.

Today we have reports of Sarfraz, Jamshed, YK, Maqsood, Haris or even Irfan opening. Truth is since Anwar's retirement, opening issue had started - what made it worse was Butt's conviction of spot fixing.

Could Babar be the solution?

Hafeez & Jamshed were doing quite well, but that was just for a short time.

I still believe that Jamshed has time on his side because of his age, but he needs to work with his shortcomings and make a strong case for himself in the future.

Interesting to read old posts, though... :)

Used to be a huge fan of Hameed back in the days.

Hafeez & Jamshed were doing quite well, but that was just for a short time.

I still believe that Jamshed has time on his side because of his age, but he needs to work with his shortcomings and make a strong case for himself in the future.

Interesting to read old posts, though... :)

Used to be a huge fan of Hameed back in the days.

Sallam.

Agree with you - Hafeez is a loss in this World cup too. Jamshed had a dream start to his career but sadly lacking confidence and luck though on his day, he can score runs.

Injustice with Yasir Hameed - unfairly dropped and treated badly. Became the "scapegoat" of the dark 2010 era.

Hasnt he retired now to become a full time fishermen?

Thank God we found Azhar Ali

Otherwise guys with averages of 32 were considered as good openers,we call Hafeez bad

The last time we had successive hundred opening partnerships before Fakhar and Azhar achieved it in the CT was when Yasir Hameed and Imran Farhat played against New Zealand in 2003.

I remember thinking our opening partnership was resolved for the next few years - the naivety of youth.

Hameed had a superb first year in internationals but as many Pakistani batsmen who similarly showed initial promise then fell away. His weaknesses outside off-stump were exposed and as mentioned above Kumble had the wood over him.

My last memory of him was the 2010 England tour and his encounter with the NOTW's Fake Sheikh supposedly sipping white wine and threatening to blow the whistle on fixing.

Always found Yasir to be an overrated batsman and he proved he was.

Back