Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid in Tests

Dravid against McGrath and Warne in Aus - avg of 15

Dravid against Steyn in SA - avg of 22

Dravid against Murali in SL - avg of 32

He looked clueless against Saqlain, W and W in India as well. No hundreds. Of course, he made it up by smashing runs against Fazl e Akbar and Sami later on.

Even in 2006 tour of Pakistan, he made all his runs on roads in the 1st two tests. In the 3rd test which produced a result, he made 5 and 2.

Tendulkar's only major weaknesses has been that he never had the balls to bat above no 4 in test matches, even when the team could have benefitted from it many times. Great players never hesitated to bat at no:3 and to take on the new ball in test matches, Sachin is an exception. He never left his comfort zone so that he could boost his personal land marks. Compare that with Dravid who has batted at all positions from 1-7 and is arguably the most selfless and the most flexible Indian batsman.

Tendulkar's only major weaknesses has been that he never had the balls to bat above no 4 in test matches, even when the team could have benefitted from it many times.
Especially in innings Dravid open, Sachin could have batted at three but surprisingly never did it.

Especially in innings Dravid open, Sachin could have batted at three but surprisingly never did it.

Yep, and Laxman was another "victim" who had to take that position often because Sachin chickened out.

Everybody who has played cricket knows that number 4 is the easist place to bat at the top because, in the most of the matches you come in with the shine taken off the new ball, and you have a good amount of time to settle in and get some runs on the board before the 2nd new ball is taken.

Sachin knew this very well, and he never batted up the order, so that he could reduce risks and safeguard his averages.

if consistency is anything to go by than yk trumps this comparison

Over the last 5-7 years yk has consistently avged 50 plus every year

Dravids career has been up and down From a high avge of late 50s hes went through a few years of a slump ending up avging in the low 50s

Yk has never really had a slump in his career, hes been consistently good against all opposition unlike dravid

Dravids career has been up and down From a high avge of late 50s hes went through a few years of a slump ending up avging in the low 50s

Yk has never really had a slump in his career, hes been consistently good against all opposition unlike dravid

will be when you skip tough batting tours like oz in oz, oz in eng, eng in eng, wi in wi. when was the last time yk even played outside the flat tracks of asia?

when was the last time he played in WI OZ SA or ENG?

Dravid spent even his last 13-14 months playing in all four of these places.That my friend is the difference between YK and Dravid.His last year or so he played in 5 different continents.

will be when you skip tough batting tours like oz in oz, oz in eng, eng in eng, wi in wi. when was the last time yk even played outside the flat tracks of asia?

If your knowledge is limited one should keep his mouth shut.

NZ opted out of NZ tour 2009 and he was averaging 70+ there at the time.

He never skipped Aus tour. He was not picked by Ijaz butt for political reasons. He was playing domestic four day final before the tour. On his previous tour to Aus he averaged 43 against the likes of Warne McGrath Kaspa and Gillespie when Inzi and moyo failed.

He averaged 65 in Eng 2006 when apart from Yousaf rest of our batting failed to average 40 including Inzi. Again for Eng he was not picked.

Do bit of research before you open your mouth again.

YK never played enough tests at a trot for a slump. When you see one guy playing 3 times the teas as the other guy, obviously the guy with more tests will have a chane for a slump, Dravid averaged in the 70s for a long period of time, his average was around 58 for a long, long time except for the last 3-4 years. What lack of consistancy are you talking about?

Cnt believe we are having this argument, there is a reason why most snsible Pak fans on this forum are not participating inthis debate or rooting for YK

If your knowledge is limited one should keep his mouth shut.

NZ opted out of NZ tour 2009 and he was averaging 70+ there at the time.

He never skipped Aus tour. He was not picked by Ijaz butt for political reasons. He was playing domestic four day final before the tour. On his previous tour to Aus he averaged 43 against the likes of Warne McGrath Kaspa and Gillespie when Inzi and moyo failed.

He averaged 65 in Eng 2006 when apart from Yousaf rest of our batting failed to average 40 including Inzi. Again for Eng he was not picked.

Do bit of research before you open your mouth again.

Instead of skipping he may have missed those tours due to reasons beyond his control. But the batting on those tours were more difficult than on previous tours.

Just because he did decently on one tour doesn't mean he'd do well next tour. Even Yousuf who was good in 2006 flopped in 2010. Age does take a toll. We've seen that with Dravid. Seen that with Ponting.

For better or worse, YK was lucky he did not get to play those tours at his age and only played there during his peak.

In NZ, his hundreds came in the 1 match which was a road and ended up as a boring draw.

How many did he make in the previous test when the ball was doing a lot and Simon Doull ran through India's batting on the 1st morning? Nothing.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63826.html

The 1997 series was ruined by rain and roads. Only Barbados produced a result.

None of these scores (good or bad) can be compared to runs against McGrath, Steyn etc away from home.

Give me your address . will send you the DVD of his hundreds in England in the last year .

In NZ, his hundreds came in the 1 match which was a road and ended up as a boring draw.

How many did he make in the previous test when the ball was doing a lot and Simon Doull ran through India's batting on the 1st morning? Nothing.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63826.html

The 1997 series was ruined by rain and roads. Only Barbados produced a result.

None of these scores (good or bad) can be compared to runs against McGrath, Steyn etc away from home..

LOL YK doesn't even play matches outside Asia for fear of his avg.

Last edited:
LOL YK doesn't even play matches outside Asia for fear of his avg.

ibh i like YK . A very limited player , but gritty and has made the most of his abilities inspite of his technical flaws , but comparing his to a batsmen whos closest to having near perfect game is nothing but retarded .

India fan most of us die hard YK fans here like leg cutter and myself are not saying YK is better or equal to Dravid. We have acknowledged Dravid for his longevity and marquee innings. We are trying to present the facts that suggest YK has been as consistent over a short span of career compared to Dravid and had he played more the would have been a good comparison.

And to those who keep saying this is an insult to Dravid why do you say that. We have plenty of experts who start comparing young players to legends after a good season or two. Bravo-Lara ,Rohit sharma- Sachin even KP- Viv.

India fan most of us die hard YK fans here like leg cutter and myself are not saying YK is better or equal to Dravid. We have acknowledged Dravid for his longevity and marquee innings. We are trying to present the facts that suggest YK has been as consistent over a short span of career compared to Dravid and had he played more the would have been a good comparison.

And to those who keep saying this is an insult to Dravid why do you say that. We have plenty of experts who start comparing young players to legends after a good season or two. Bravo-Lara ,Rohit sharma- Sachin even KP- Viv.

Bravo-Lara, Rohit-Sachin,KP-Viv are comparisons in terms of playing style not on stature as a batsman

ibh i like YK . A very limited player , but gritty and has made the most of his abilities inspite of his technical flaws , but comparing his to a batsmen whos closest to having near perfect game is nothing but retarded .

That near perfect game did help him score in SA or SL. He kept getting bowled throughout his career despite that perfect game. You are sounding like those Inzi fans.

This is a srinath-Wasim kind of comparison, which is offcourse an insult ..but whan you do Aamer-Wasim , you are basically saying he could potentaillly be as good as Wasim

YK is def under-rated. But has a long way to go to be called an ATG or legend.

A Pakistani legend definitely.

That near perfect game did help him score in SA or SL. He kept getting bowled throughout his career despite that perfect game. You are sounding like those Inzi fans.

Got bowled at the end of his career. Even those avgs in SA and SL are due to playing tours there in his late age. And besides which player apart from the great Sachin has performed in all conditions.

Look at how YK's avg in SA drops this tour.

Instead of skipping he may have missed those tours due to reasons beyond his control. But the batting on those tours were more difficult than on previous tours.

Just because he did decently on one tour doesn't mean he'd do well next tour. Even Yousuf who was good in 2006 flopped in 2010. Age does take a toll. We've seen that with Dravid. Seen that with Ponting.

For better or worse, YK was lucky he did not get to play those tours at his age and only played there during his peak.

Yes it's relevant because on previous tour he faced a bowling attack featuring two all time greats and did well. That Aus attack in 2009 was ordinary where likes of Umar and even Manzoor did relatively well.

Yousaf came into Eng series in the 3rd test with no cricket behind him and stroked a half century helping us winning the 3rd test.

Wasim Srinath have a big difference between their career stats . Dravid , Yk do not . Dravid still ahead for me but only due to longevity .

Yes it's relevant because on previous tour he faced a bowling attack featuring two all time greats and did well. That Aus attack in 2009 was ordinary where likes of Umar and even Manzoor did relatively well.

Yousaf came into Eng series in the 3rd test with no cricket behind him and stroked a half century helping us winning the 3rd test.

can't extrapolate. laxman was good against warne-mcgrath in 1999-2000 but failed against much inferior bowlers. age does take a toll.

can't extrapolate. laxman was good against warne-mcgrath in 1999-2000 but failed against much inferior bowlers. age does take a toll.

Oh bhai Sahab we toured Aus in 2009 when YK was 32/33 not 37 like laxman. He scored a triple that year.

Yes probably in 10 years when Azhar has 20 tests hundreds in 70 odd games and average of 50+.

easier said then done.. i like some parts of his batting but to average 50 orm ore in tests he needs to improve some things.. anyway this is off topic
i dont mind this comparison but see.. u guys said yk didnt played in many matches he could ve scored much mroe runs etc etc
bt it can go other way around too... maybe he owuld ve flopped there..past series does not matter as we saw this time with indian team x(
he is by far the best pakistani test batsman ..gr8 player of spin
but i would like to see him play some good inningsi n south africa on next tour... knocks cos of which peopl would remember him... in tough conditions

I strongly believe every bastmen has flaws . its almost impossible to have great technique for bounce , swing and spin . Most of the greats have atleast one relative weakness . Comparing Tendulkar and Dravid here , 2 batsmen with superb techniques , but Dravid was better on swinging conditions & Tendulkar on pitches where there is bounce . Not so obvious when they wher at their peaks , both played well in all conditions , but at this age you can clearly see Darvid is still at his best in England while Tendulkar a lot more comfortable in Aus .

so near perfect cos , he was one of the best ever playing swing and spin & pretty good even on bouncy pitches when in top form . I dont look into stats & tbh dont even know exactly how much dravid avgs even though am a huge fan

easier said then done.. i like some parts of his batting but to average 50 orm ore in tests he needs to improve some things.. anyway this is off topic
i dont mind this comparison but see.. u guys said yk didnt played in many matches he could ve scored much mroe runs etc etc
bt it can go other way around too... maybe he owuld ve flopped there..past series does not matter as we saw this time with indian team x(
but i would like to see him play some good inningsi n south africa on next tour... knocks cos of which peopl would remember him... in tough conditions

comparing yk to dravid is like comparing bond to imran,wasim,waqar

Saeed-Sohail ,

do you wana bet ? I say YK wont avg more than 25 if he plays all the games in SA .

I strongly believe every bastmen has flaws . its almost impossible to have great technique for bounce , swing and spin . Most of the greats have atleast one relative weakness . Comparing Tendulkar and Dravid here , 2 batsmen with superb techniques , but Dravid was better on swinging conditions & Tendulkar on pitches where there is bounce . Not so obvious when they wher at their peaks , both played well in all conditions , but at this age you can clearly see Darvid is still at his best in England while Tendulkar a lot more comfortable in Aus .

so near perfect cos , he was one of the best ever playing swing and spin & pretty good even on bouncy pitches when in top form . I dont look into stats & tbh dont even know exactly how much dravid avgs even though am a huge fan

Look I am huge Dravid fan and rate him very high and would never say YK is better or equal to him. Just pointing out that comparison is not far fetched as you suggest.

To me it's a fairer comparison then those infamous Sachin v Inzi threads.

Last edited:

We will be lucky if Azhar averages 40 with 15 test hundreds.

I'd say more like Shoaib Akhtar to Wasim Akram.

ya..actually i really rate anderson highly but he was ok bowler in first half of his career so maybe his stats are bad..
akram to me is more abt flair more tendulkar or lara
mcgrath reminds me of dravid :D

We will be lucky if Azhar averages 40 with 15 test hundreds.

he is good player but not finished player
needs to keep impriving there is some improvement compared to last year so i will actually put my money on him to perform consistently in future but u know its always difficult when rest of batting line up is always collapsing

Look I am huge Dravid fan and rate him very high and would never say YK is better or equal to him. Just pointing out that comparison is not far fetched as you suggest.

To me it's a fairer comparison then those infamous Sachin v Inzi threads.

Dravid >>> Tendulkar imo , so you know why i dont think this is a good comprison

Dravid >>> Tendulkar imo , so you know why i dont think this is a good comprison

eh no..
both have been gr8 for us
i will never ever compare them with each other
its not like one performed in tough conditions and another didnt
both have been unbelievable players for us its gonna be hard work replacing them both :\
now if u say dravid has played many gr8 innings so has tendulkar

oh I see , he was out for a Zero today ..so most of you seem sceptic.

He will improve

If younis has scored 1 run...dravid has scored 2...basically younis khan is half the player what dravid is..And he would require 2 lives to bridge the gulf.

By that logic Tendulkar is four times a player bradman ever was.

Was I talking with you 'Dude'...hold on Mr Joshailaay Paagal

I was just showing the hypocrisy of someone who is an Indian fan with the user name of a Pakistani player whom he usually always makes fun off...hypocrisy times two me thinks!

LOL it wasn't for you, it was an answer to the question that OP posted.

No...Because bradman had a much superior avg.(also because i am an aussie..lol ) than tendulkar...whereas rahul n younis have comparable averages.

Bradman only played 52 tests therefore his stats are inflated. He needs to play 200 tests before we can compare him to Dravid or Tendulkar.

If Bradman had played as many tests as Dravid, his average would have become 40.

Dravid > Bradman

Bradman only played 52 tests therefore his stats are inflated. He needs to play 200 tests before we can compare him to Dravid or Tendulkar.

If Bradman had played as many tests as Dravid, his average would have become 40.

Dravid > Bradman

let's not compare bradman with modern players. i believe they should be considered in two different categories. bradman played in an era with just two teams and who knows what the level of competition was at that time.

let's not compare bradman with modern players. i believe they should be considered in two different categories. bradman played in an era with just two teams and who knows what the level of competition was at that time.

Bradman never faced doosra, Yorkers etc. He faced Praveen Kumar type 70mph bowlers with dibbly dobbly swing.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2cf1lu

Dravid > Bradman

you mean to say that Bradman would have scored 20 runs/innings after the 80 innings he played (upto the 286 played by Dravid)? good joke.

Joke of a thread. Dravid all the way...!!!. This is like comparing Wasim akram with Srinath.

you mean to say that Bradman would have scored 20 runs/innings after the 80 innings he played (upto the 286 played by Dravid)? good joke.

And thus I am pointing out the flaw in people who are arguing that YK has 'only' played 76 tests.

Dravid wins here.

Didn't saw Miandad in his peak so I can easily say Younis Khan is the best Pakistani batsman I have seen and he is a real monster in 4th inning.

Apples and Oranges friends, Dravid has always been in different league.

He never skipped any tours! If you had an ounce of brain youd know he was never selected for these tours because of ijaz butt

In the past hes played in sth africa, australia and eng successfully

By the way to all those who said when did younis khan last play outside subcontinent and was successful - well he played a series against nz in nz 2010-2011 and avged 59

Not bad eh?

By the way to all those who said when did younis khan last play outside subcontinent and was successful - well he played a series against nz in nz 2010-2011 and avged 59

Not bad eh?

he's an excellent batsman. As good as dravid? probably not, but he has played well outside the subcontinent, unlike most of our pathetic batsmen.

Younis khan played only couple of series against Australia, south africa, NZL ...surprisingly 30 matches against Sri lanka and West indies

It's not that unfair actually. On first glance, stats would make it seem like they're both roughly equal.

Averages
Younis: 52.4
Dravid: 52.3

Younis Khan has 20 100s in 76 matches, which rougly equates to a century in every 3.8 matches.

Dravid has 36 centuries in 164 matches which is a century in every 4.5 matches.

vs England

YK: 43
Dravid: 41

Equal for sake of discussion

vs Australia

YK: 31
Dravid: 38

Winner: Dravid

vs Saffers

YK: 47
Dravid: 35

Winner: YK

vs Sri Lanka

YK: 52
Dravid: 48

Winner: YK slightly

vs New Zealand

YK: 60
Dravid: 45

Using these stats, one would think Younis Khan is statistically superior to Dravid, except against Australia where Dravid has pulled his weight; whereas YK takes the cake in Africa, SL and New Zealand

Having said that, Dravid has played twice the number of matches that YK has, so obviously stats would not tell the whole story, but looking at whatever numbers we have, we have to accept that YK wins this one, or if going for the benefit of doubt, we can change the verdict to:

Verdict: Younis Khan is statistically equal to, or marginally superior to Rahul Dravid

from cricinfo: correct stats

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28114.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

Rahul Dravid vs England - 60.93
Younis khan vs England - 43.55

Rahul Dravid vs Australia - 38.67
Younis khan - vs Australia - 31.83

Rahul Dravid vs New zealand - 63.80
Younis khan vs New zealand - 60.50

Rahul Dravid vs south Afrcia - 33.83
Younis khan vs south Africa - 46.87

Rahul Dravid vs west Indies - 63.80
Younis khan vs west Indies - 38.94

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/43652.html?class=1;template=results;type=allround

Younis khan played only couple of series against Australia, south africa, NZL ...surprisingly 30 matches against Sri lanka and West indies

Not younis khans fault, he can only play whats infront of him

If anything the board is to blame for not arranging enough series against the saffers and aussies

By that logic Tendulkar is four times a player bradman ever was.

In a way YES.

See playing double, triple or more is indeed a leverage. Bradman happens to have a far superior average to support his case so it kind of evens out. If Tendulkar has played 700 matches compared to Bradman's 70 he definitely has the point to challenge Bradman's greatest batsman status.

Things don't quite apply in a similar way to YK-Dravid because-

* Both are playing in the same era
* Both have similar averages

Continuing the discussion won't help, we have a record breaking thread here in support of Shoaib Malik claiming him to be one of Pakistan's superior batsmen and captains. So we are well aware of people continuing a lost debate here. Dravid will remain leagues ahead unless YK gets close to him.

Continuing the discussion won't help, we have a record breaking thread here in support of Shoaib Malik claiming him to be one of Pakistan's superior batsmen and captains. So we are well aware of people continuing a lost debate here. Dravid will remain leagues ahead unless YK gets close to him.

You can think what you like, younis khan will probably end up with 100 test matches and 8000 runs

If you dont think thats enough runs hence dravid wins by a mile than people should stop calling the likes of bradman, miandad, viv etc and many others greats of the game

I have seen Rahul Dravid opening for India in tough overcast conditions in UK and scoring centuries. He has hardly disappointed in any role he has been appointed.

To me Dravid > Tendu - never mind a comparison with Younis Khan

You can think what you like, younis khan will probably end up with 100 test matches and 8000 runs

If you dont think thats enough runs hence dravid wins by a mile than people should stop calling the likes of bradman, miandad, viv etc and many others greats of the game

And i wish him good luck. In fact it would be terrific if he's the one to finally break Miandad's Pakistani record.

None of us have anything against YK, he's a very likable bloke and i wouldn't mind if he gets past Dravid. But RIGHT NOW he's far from it as is evident from the general consensus

Last edited:
I have seen Rahul Dravid opening for India in tough overcast conditions in UK and scoring centuries. He has hardly disappointed in any role he has been appointed.

To me Dravid > Tendu - never mind a comparison with Younis Khan

funnily, it was SRT who got the tough runs when India won the series in Eng in 2007.

the one that cuts it for me is Dravid scoring an epic ton at the oval carrying the bat and then immediately coming out to bat in ten minutes without a complaint.even then he was controversially given out.it's likely he would have got a ton then too.

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

funnily, it was SRT who got the tough runs when India won the series in Eng in 2007.

exactly and even in the 2002 test win at leeds SRT scored 193 and Dravid scored 140 odd .

But lets just remember the useless centuries scored by Dravid . Tendulkar too got a couple on tour to Sa where Dravid choked , but no1 seems to talk about that . Its only England , England , England 2011 ... Lost series useless centuries .

Tendulkar easily out performed Dravid during the 2007 Test win in England and thats what matters .

Last edited:
Dravid = Tendulkar. Dravid has scored only 3 tons in losses, and those came in the England tour of 2011. 30 others have comes in draws and wins.

Tendulkar on the other hand....

^ On the other hand what?

Dravid has been a fail in RSA, Sri Lanka and has rarely given a big performance in ODIs

Dravid = Tendulkar. Dravid has scored only 3 tons in losses, and those came in the England tour of 2011. 30 others have comes in draws and wins.

Tendulkar on the other hand....

Right and it only goes to show that a batsman has more centuries in losses when he is the lone warrior in the team , just like Dravid was during the England Series for which he is rightly appreciated till today .

Tendulkar on the other hand gets ridiculed whenever he scores a century and the team doesnt win instead of appreciating his one man heroics . Clear double standards .

Now count the number of Test centuries in lost causes by Tendulkar and Dravid and see for yourself who has been fighting more lone battles for India .

Only instance for Dravid would be the last series in England whereas SRT has been putting 1 Man shows since the early 90s till as recent as the last series in Sa .

Back