Zardari on Larry King Live

OZGOD

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
I'll post the transcript when it becomes available, but basically he said:

- calls the terrorists "stateless actors" who are a threat to whole region
- does not think the remaining terrorist is Pakistani
- if India proves that the attacks came from Pakistani soil said he would "bring the might of his government to find those responsible"
- said he is willing to remove Pakistan's nuclear arsenal if India do the same
- said he would never authorise a preemptive nuclear strike
- said that India should not lash out blindly like the US did with Iraq

I think he said a few more things but I didn't catch them.

OZGOD said:

- if India proves that the attacks came from Pakistani soil said he would "bring the might of his government to find those responsible"

- said he would never authorise a preemptive nuclear strike
- said that India should not lash out blindly like the US did with Iraq

won't happen

Islamabadi said:
Wow Zardari Showing Balls...... I'm Shocked

Finally he is showing them to someone other then Sarah Palin.

Last edited:
any bets to how long Zardari will remain in office?
the army is not going to like his statements.

deathstreak said:
any bets to how long Zardari will remain in office?
the army is not going to like his statements.

we can always get the ISI on this case for you if you want them to remove him for the office ASAP. I am sure Manmohan Singh has some contact numbers for you to reach the ISI.

Thanks for posting OZGOD !!!

And I agree with deathstreak! Indian will never be able to prove that the attacks came from Pakistani soil. No one can prove his illusions to others.

kingusama92 said:
we can always get the ISI on this case for you if you want them to remove him for the office ASAP. I am sure Manmohan Singh has some contact numbers for you to reach the ISI.

:))) :)))
Our ISI (Indian Statistical Institutes) might be able to calculate the probability.
I din't know the ISI was controlled by the army. Is that the case?

OZGOD said:

- said he would never authorise a preemptive nuclear strike- said that India should not lash out blindly like the US did with Iraq

Hey, how are relations between Zardari and Kayani? Cause if they deteriorate, and Zardari wants to remove our nuclear arsenal, I fear another coup. Wouldn't be that bad actually, Zardari is a dogman barbarian. :yk

deathstreak said:
I din't know the ISI was controlled by the army. Is that the case?
In words of our former Army officials... "ISI is Pakistan's first defence line."

The purpose of both Army is to defend, and ISI is it's first defence line !!!

That's why DG ISI happens to be an Army General.

Jamal said:
Hey, how are relations between Zardari and Kayani? Cause if they deteriorate, and Zardari wants to remove our nuclear arsenal, I fear another coup. Wouldn't be that bad actually, Zardari is a dogman barbarian. :yk

:))) :)))
Of course as an Indian when I point it out I am crying that the ISI is involved in my missing my project deadlines.

Here's the transcript now.
-----------------

Larry King: It's a privilege to welcome to Larry King Live the president of Pakistan, from his office in Islamabad, President Asif Ali Zardari. He took office in September.

He's the widower of the former Pakistani prime minister, Benazir Bhutto, both of whom were on this program in the past.

Now, Mr. President, aside from the gunmen themselves, who do you believe was responsible for the terrorist attacks against Mumbai?

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari: Larry, I think these are stateless actors who have been operating all throughout the region. The gunmen, plus the planners, whoever they are, they are stateless actors who are holding hostage the whole world.

King: So the state of Pakistan is in no way responsible, you're saying.

Right?

Zardari: The state of Pakistan is no way responsible. That I believe.

Even the White House and the American CIA have said that today. The state of Pakistan is of course not involved. We're part of the victims, Larry.

I'm a victim. The state of Pakistan is a victim. We are the victims of this war, and I am sorry for the Indians, and I feel sorry for them.

I've seen this pain. I feel this pain every time I see my children. I can see it in their eyes. This pain lives with me because of my wife and what we are going through in Pakistan.

King: What do you know about this lone surviving attacker, the man that's in custody? Is he definitely a Pakistani?

Zardari: Not as yet. We have not been giving any tangible proof to say that he is definitely a Pakistani. I very much doubt, Larry, that he's a Pakistani.

King: Really? Who do you think -- what's your guess?

ZARDARI: Like I said, these are stateless individuals who operate throughout -- I mean, I've got a situation in Pakistan that the fourth largest army in the world is challenged on my border on the west. I've got 150 people out, boys out, soldiers out. We have casualties every day.

We've had incidents just the past two days in Karachi where we've lost more than 40 to 45 people, hundreds injured. These are stateless actors who are moving throughout this region.

King: What do you believe is the responsibility, if any, of -- I want to get this right -- Lashkar-e-Taiba, the militant group that's aimed at ending Indian rule in Kashmir? Do you think they're involved?

Zardari: That's a banned organization, Larry, in Pakistan and all around the world. If indeed they are involved, we would not know. Again, they are people who operate outside the system. They operate like -- al Qaeda, for instance, is not state-oriented. They operate something on that mechanism, and we would love to -- I've already offered to India full cooperation on this incident, and we intend to do that.

King: Do you believe that al Qaeda -- you mentioned them -- might be involved?

Zardari: We cannot rule anything out at the moment, Larry. It's too premature.

King: All right. Pakistan, you've called on India to produce evidence of the complicity of any Pakistani group in the attacks. If it's produced, what would you do?

Zardari: I would -- my government would take action, our government would take action, the democratic government of Pakistan would take action against all the actors and anybody who is involved.

King: So you're firmly committed to getting at the root of this?

Zardari: Not just the root of this. I'm firmly committed to fighting terrorism per se. That's why we are fighting them every day, Larry.

King: In a new interview, India's external affairs minister has declined to rule out the possibility of Indian military strikes against terror camps in Pakistan. He says that every country has a right to protect itself.

Do you agree with that?

Zardari: I would not agree with that because this is a time to come together and do a joint investigation and look at the problem in the larger context. We have a larger threat on our hands.

The threat is in the region, and just not to Bombay or to India. The threat to the state of Pakistan. There's a threat to the state of Afghanistan. It's a threat throughout the region. So that would be counterproductive, Larry.

King: Both your nation and India have nuclear arms. Would Pakistan ever make -- can you conceive of Pakistan ever making a preemptive strike?

Zardari: Larry, I've already been on record, and I have said so, that Pakistan has no intention of ever being the perpetrator of first use.

King: Would you favor the ban of all nuclear weapons everywhere?

Zardari: In fact, I've invited the Indian...

King: I'm sorry -- go ahead.

Zardari: I have asked the Indians to join me. I have asked the Indians to join us in a nuclear-free South Asia. And we are willing -- I am willing to assure the world, on behalf of my parliament, that if India comes with us, we can together jointly sign a nuclear-free South Asia.

King: Do you think that would happen? Do you think it could happen?

Zardari: We can definitely stand on the possibility of that to happen, Larry.

King: All right. Your nation and India, you fought three wars since the subcontinent was divided at the end of British rule back in 1947. What do you think is the potential for another war now?

Zardari: Larry, democracies don't go to war. All those wars you're talking about did not take place in any democracy. They all happened in the times of dictators. So democracies do not go to war. War is not our expression of thought.

King: What about America in Iraq?

Zardari: Well, that's exactly an example today that America went to Iraq in a reaction to the attack on America. That's a reactive action, and that is something that the terrorists are always looking for, because they can corner the state stateless, actors can corner the state to go into a motion or an action which otherwise they would not do. This is exactly the fear, and that's why we should rise above it.

King: Mr. President, are you -- by the way, are you actively working at finding out who caused this attack?

Zardari: Obviously, all my state of practice is looking into the allegation that has been thrown at us from across the border. Obviously, if an accusation of this sort comes [we will] ask the intelligence agencies to investigate.

King: And do you have a lot of respect for and confidence in your intelligence agency?

Zardari: That, and the fact that we are all hoping to improve our relationships with India and all the democracies of the world. The whole nation of Pakistan is united to making -- having friends -- becoming friends with India.

King: This was just issued this morning, Mr. President. "The odds that terrorists will soon strike a major city with weapons of mass destruction are now better than even. This, a bipartisan congressionally-mandated task force concluded in a draft study, and they particularly single out Pakistan with grave concern because of its terrorist attacks, history of instability and arsenal of several dozen nuclear warheads."

How do you act to that report?

Zardari: Ever the more reason that Pakistan needs more help, more attention, and more looking into and looking after. So we appeal to the world and the world at large, and our neighbors, to sit down and find solutions to all problems facing the region in today's times.

King: The report also said, "Pakistan is our ally, but there is a grave danger. It can also be an unwitting source of a terrorist attack on the United States, possibly with weapons of mass destruction."

Do you agree?

Zardari: Well, that's a position that has been going -- it's a continued situation which we've inherited. It's part of the Afghan problem, part of the war in Afghanistan, part of the war in our northern regions. That is an issue that needs more attention, and I'm hoping that the new administration coming in will work with us to look into it for a regional solution.

We've been advocating a regional solution. We need more participation from our neighbors, India, China, and extended neighbors as such in the UAE. We all need to come together on a collective mindset and find solutions to that problem.

King: By the way, what do you make of President-elect Obama?

Zardari: I think there's a world romance with Obama. And we all in Pakistan -- throughout the world there's a romance to Obama, and we are looking forward to working with him.

King: What steps, Mr. President, is your government taking to prevent terrorists from acquiring nuclear weapons? This is something every country fears. Are you taking steps at preventing it?

Zardari: We have a command and control system for that. We're a very responsible state as far as that subject goes, and we have a command and control system under a special organization.

King: And are you confident that they're working well?

Zardari: Yes, I'm totally confident that our command and control system is working well.

King: Because in the past, Mr. President, the Pakistani intelligence apparatus has provided support for militant movements. And what is the government doing to root that out?

Zardari: In the past, lots of mistakes have been made, I cannot deny that. But the present government does not support any such action and the -- I can assure the world from my side, from my Army's side, from my parliament's side and the people of Pakistan that we are not helping any such activity.

King: Mr. President, the Indian government is demanding that your nation hand over some 20 suspected terrorists believed to be living in Pakistan. What is your response to this? Among those are Dawa Dabron, a powerful gangster, Masoud Azar, a terror suspect from Indian prison, in exchange for the release of hostages. And Hafiz Muhammad, the former chief of a terrorist group.

Are you going to comply with that?

Zardari: I am definitely going to look into all the possibility of any proof that is given to us. At the moment these are just names of individuals. No proof, no investigation, nothing has been brought to forward. We have offered to take this step forward and cooperate with the Indians. I am willing to have my security advisor and their security in charge of our intelligence security and their intelligence security, have a joint committee which we have proposed to the Indians for a joint investigation in all -- in the Bombay incident.

King: And if you had the proof you would turn them over?

Zardari: If we had the proof, we would try them in our courts, we would try them in our land and we would sentence them.

King: Condoleezza Rice, the secretary of state is coming to India, coming today I think. Would you meet with her?

Zardari: I am hoping to meet with her in Pakistan. She is hoping -- I think she is coming here too.

King: What do you make and how do you look forward to working with the possible incoming secretary of state, Hillary Clinton?

Zardari: I am looking forward to working with Hillary Clinton. We know each other, we've met before, we have known each other for a long time, since my wife's time. She has been a good friend of Pakistan in the past and we hope to work with her, we're looking forward to working with her.

King: Do you think she is a good choice?

Zardari: I think she is an excellent choice.

King: All right. Do you -- during the campaign, President-elect Obama said he believes that if the United States is given actionable intelligence, it has the right to attack high value terrorist targets in Pakistan with or without permission of the Pakistani government.

What do you make of that?

Zardari: I think it's a misquote. I think the actual quote is that if we did not take action then the president-elect has said that he would take action. But that would never arise. The minute we get any actionable intelligence given to us we shall act ourselves.

King: Do you believe that the Mumbai attacks may have been partly intended to destabilize your own government? You're trying to get rapprochement with India, you think they were trying to upset that?

Zardari: That is my position, Larry. I have been trying to advocate throughout the world that the stateless actors, states to hold states and they want states to go into wars, do wars, it's happened in the past. You will remember history correctly, even the Second World War was perpetrated by a stateless actor, murdering of the prince if you'll remember and so is the case of 9/11, it was a stateless actor who willed the world go to war.

So we should all rise above it. I expect the Indian democracy which is senior, which is an older democracy, mature democracy, I expect them to rise above this pain and the loss that they have had and come together with us to fight terrorism in the region.

King: There are some suggestions that the more vehemently India calls on you to crack down on militants, the tougher politically it is for you to do so. Do you buy that?

Zardari: Larry, politics has never been an easy place in Pakistan and it's not easy to inherit from a dictator so I -- it's a difficult place, it's a difficult choice but we will rise to difficult challenges.

King: This may be an impossible question but we'll ask it anyway. Do you believe it's possible for you and India to live in peace?

Zardari: I am looking forward and I am hoping that I will be the catalyst that makes India and Pakistan live in peace forever.

King: So you would meet with the leaders there as well?

Zardari: Of course. I am looking forward to that. I am looking forward to making it a regional economical zone. I am looking forward to working in all walks of life together and India is a neighbor, it is 1 billion plus people, it's a market, it's an opportunity, relations with India is an opportunity for Pakistan.

King: A couple of other things. There are many who believe that Osama bin Laden is in Pakistan. Are you trying to find him?

Zardari: Larry, the Americans and the world forces have been in Afghanistan and around my region and have much, much better technology and intelligence than we have. If you think he was there or anywhere around they would have gotten before me but in case I do get any intelligence and I do find out. We will definitely try and take the trophy ourselves if we can.

King: What would you do with him if you found him?

Zardari: That's a hypothetical question. Hopefully arrest and try him.

King: In Pakistan?

Zardari: We can see, we can talk about it. It's a hypothetical question, Larry. First let's find him. Nobody has been able to find him in the past eight years.
----------------------------

Not bad...he stumbled a couple of times but acquitted himself well. Though he got the Second World War thing wrong - that was the first World War, when a Serbian nationalist killed the prince of Austria-Hungary and kicked off WW1.

Last edited:
Jamal said:

Who is Kanyani? I don't know who that is.

OZGOD said:
Who is Kanyani? I don't know who that is.

I'm pretty sure the Army Chief as appointed by Mush bhai.

I'm not a Zardari supporter. In fact, I've ALWAYS disliked him. But, this interview is truly great !!!

"Democracies don't go to wars." - I love that !!!

OZGOD, thank you for the script.

BTW, his full name is General Ashfaq Kayani - the supreme commander of Pak Army, appointed by Musharraf as a successor.

What a freakin clown...couldn't put together one coherent sentence...if this what the liberal/leftist/secularist/ have the best to offer then no wonder they haven't gotten us far in the last decade or anytime prior to that...

excellent interview... he seemed to give excellent answers... I think this is exactly the type of interview that can settle things down, and perhaps get the U.S on our side.

One little thing that got annoying in his interview was the way he kept saying "stateless actors" i think everyone got it the first time :)))

Although that's my opinion. Overall great interview, hopefully the situation with India calms down and we can back on the path towards ultimate peace between both countries.

kingusama92 said:
excellent interview... he seemed to give excellent answers... I think this is exactly the type of interview that can settle things down, and perhaps get the U.S on our side.

One little thing that got annoying in his interview was the way he kept saying "stateless actors" i think everyone got it the first time :)))

Although that's my opinion. Overall great interview, hopefully the situation with India calms down and we can back on the path towards ultimate peace between both countries.

I thought he was talking about "Shoaib Actor" for a sec there :D

OZGOD said:
I thought he was talking about "Shoaib Actor" for a sec there :D

i wish it was shoaib actor so we could hang him and put other youngsters in squad

Here are a few points of interest I picked

Zardari: Larry, democracies don't go to war. All those wars you're talking about did not take place in any democracy. They all happened in the times of dictators. So democracies do not go to war. War is not our expression of thought.
1. pretty much states that Pakistan (or dictatorial governments in Pakistan) were responsible for the wars.
2. The first war in 48 was actually with Jinnah at the helm but who am I to object.

King: And do you have a lot of respect for and confidence in your intelligence agency?
Did he fail to pick the sarcasm.

King: The report also said, "Pakistan is our ally, but there is a grave danger. It can also be an unwitting source of a terrorist attack on the United States, possibly with weapons of mass destruction."

Do you agree?

Zardari: Well, that's a position that has been going -- it's a continued situation which we've inherited.
King pretty much saying Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal is not in safe hands. Zardari agrees !!!

^^ Moumotta the main point is that he wants the peace process with India to continue... instead of picking apart Zardari's interview.. try explaining all of your ministers who are talking nonsense left, center and right.

I am not making this an attack on India but i must say that what Zardari was trying to get across with this interview he did efficiently and that was his whole purpose to participate in this interview in the first place.

India and Pakistan need to sit together and make sure the peace process is not deterred due to the blame game coming into effect. I really hope that Indian citizens don't get caught up with this nonsense that the politicians are flaring for votes. I wish the Indian citizens vote these people out and start fresh instead of bringing in the same garbage, which I am sure all Indians agree with me that these ministers in India only think about themselves.

If one pays attention to the indian media, its mostly the bjp party's leaders and ministers who keep on attacking pakistan. They don't talk bout anything else but talk bad bout pakistan. People need to understand that its not the first time bjp has been doin this. They always do that to try to convince indian citizens that bjp is only real party who can protect india. while bjp is the one who are the most corupt.

kingusama92 said:
^^ Moumotta the main point is that he wants the peace process with India to continue... instead of picking apart Zardari's interview.. try explaining all of your ministers who are talking nonsense left, center and right.

Zardari is naive but I agree, he has the right idea. The problem is I am not sure how free he is to implement them. The offer to send ISI cheif to India was a naive yet brilliant idea- totally out of the box. But then what happened. Some one vetoed him and we are back to playing the game the old way.

moiz said:
I'm not a Zardari supporter. In fact, I've ALWAYS disliked him. But, this interview is truly great !!!

"Democracies don't go to wars." - I love that !!!

OZGOD, thank you for the script.

BTW, his full name is General Ashfaq Kayani - the supreme commander of Pak Army, appointed by Musharraf as a successor.

The supreme Commander is Zardari (in letter)

yay for zardari...finally the @ss is showing some guts and balls

Broadcaster Larry King, 87, is reportedly in isolation at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles

Award-winning TV and radio host, Larry King dies at age 87

Larry King, the award-winning TV and radio host who became a household name with his long-running CNN show Larry King Live, died Saturday morning at the age of 87.

“With profound sadness, Ora Media announces the death of our co-founder, host, and friend Larry King, who passed away this morning at age 87 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles,” King’s official Twitter announced Saturday morning. No cause of death was provided, but King’s death came weeks after it was revealed that the 87-year-old host was battling coronavirus.

“For 63 years and across the platforms of radio, television and digital media, Larry’s many thousands of interviews, awards, and global acclaim stand as a testament to his unique and lasting talent as a broadcaster. Additionally, while it was his name appearing in the shows’ titles, Larry always viewed his interview subjects as the true stars of his programs, and himself as merely an unbiased conduit between the guest and audience. Whether he was interviewing a U.S. president, foreign leader, celebrity, scandal-ridden personage, or an everyman, Larry liked to ask short, direct, and uncomplicated questions. He believed concise questions usually provided the best answers, and he was not wrong in that belief.”

King has battled other health problems over the years, including prostate cancer and type-two diabetes. In 1987, he suffered a heart attack that required quintuple-bypass surgery, and in 2017 he underwent surgery to remove a malignant tumor in his lung.

Earlier this year, two of King’s adult children – son Andy and daughter Chaia – died within weeks of each other. Despite the tragedies, King continued to release new episodes of his YouTube series Larry King Now, with the most recent episode premiering two weeks ago. In May, King also announced plans to enter the world of podcasting.

The Brooklyn-born King began his career in the late 1950s as a newspaper journalist and Miami DJ before expanding his radio repertoire to celebrity interviews and sporting event commentary. In 1978, King launched his nationwide Larry King Show broadcast, which he continued to host even after his Larry King Live television show began airing on CNN in 1985.

Equally adept at interviewing celebrities, politicians, conspiracy theorists, psychics and other newsmakers, King’s CNN show aired nightly from June 1985 to December 2010, with guests ranging from U.S. presidents and Vladimir Putin to Frank Zappa and Prince.

“An interview is an interview. It’s basically who, what, where, when and why. And while it is certainly kind of an exalted place to sit with the Prime Minister of Great Britain or the president of a country, it’s still… ‘why do you do what you do? How do you feel about what you do? What do you think about what’s happening in the world?’ It comes down to an interviewer is an interviewer,” King said in a Television Academy interview.

“I never sat down with a President of the United States or a world leader or head of a country and thought, ‘whew, this is the head of a country — I have to be different!’ I’m still every man. What would a guy in the street say to Chirac of France if you had a chance to talk to him?”

Donald Trump was another frequent guest of King’s decades before his presidency, with the real estate mogul even hosting a 25th anniversary special dedicated to the host; in a resurfaced clip from a 1987 interview, Trump admitted to King he had no desire to run for president and criticized the foreign policy of then-President Ronald Reagan:

King won two Peabody Awards for his broadcasting work and was inducted into the both National Radio Hall of Fame and the Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Following his exit from Larry King Live, the host moved on to Larry King Now and Politicking With Larry King, which launched in 2012 and 2013 respectively. He also made countless on-screen appearances in TV shows and movies – mostly playing himself – including roles on 30 Rock, Murphy Brown, Ghostbusters, Frasier, Primary Colors and American Crime Story.

King, who was married eight times, also had a long history of health issues, including his first heart attack in 1987. In April 2019, TMZ reported that King suffered a heart attack prior while preparing to visit the hospital for a previously scheduled angiogram. After arriving via ambulance, doctors reportedly performed an angioplasty to repair a collapsed artery.

However, Ora TV — the digital TV network King founded in 2012, home to his shows Larry King Now and Politicking with Larry King — refuted the details of that report in a statement, noting, “His doctors say he did not have a heart attack and he did not go into cardiac arrest.”

“On the morning of Thursday, April 23rd, Larry King was scheduled for an angioplasty,” the statement read. “Before his scheduled procedure, he experienced angina and went to the hospital early to be examined. His doctor successfully performed the angioplasty and inserted stents to reopen the previous bypass from 1987. He has been recuperating in the hospital and is scheduled to be released soon. His doctors expect him to make a full recovery.” The statement added at the time that King was “in good spirits” at the time and preparing to resume work “soon” on both Larry King Now and Politicking.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/larry-king-dead-obit-828733/

A unique voice that was heard for so many years. RIP Larry.

RIP to one of the most iconic voices in history

Back