1st Semi-Final: [New Zealand V Sri Lanka] - Sri Lanka win

OZGOD

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
This will be a pretty epic clash - SL won the first round and look to be the team in better form. Malinga the Slinga being back will be a huge bonus for them. Plus Jayasuriya, Jayawardene and Silva are all averaging 50+.

NZ were hammered by OZ last match but they have shown an ability to bounce back from thrashings and be competitive in subsequent matches. Styris is in great form (averaging an absurd 92 with the bat and has 9 wickets @ 26 with the ball) and with Bond back (12 wickets @ 12 in the WC) NZ will have an extra edge to their bowling attack.

Should be a great contest.

SL: Sanath Jayasuriya, 2 Upul Tharanga, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 4 Mahela Jayawardene (capt), 5 Chamara Silva, 6 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 7 Russel Arnold, 8 Chaminda Vaas, 9 Muttiah Muralitharan, 10 Dilhara Fernando, 11 Lasith Malinga.

NZ: Stephen Fleming (capt), 2 Peter Fulton, 3 Ross Taylor, 4 Craig McMillan, 5 Scott Styris, 6 Jacob Oram, 7 Brendon McCullum (wk), 8 James Franklin, 9 Daniel Vettori, 10 Jeetan Patel, 11 Shane Bond.

Malinga would b key for SL, NZ ll struggle big time against him.
SL should bowl him jsut 2 overs at start and come back with him after 10-12 overs. NZ struggle against pace most of times and they did struggle against Malinga in test matches, they were clueless against him.
then Murali is alwways there, at top of his game at moment.

IF SL bat firrst, they ll b fav to win, but they have to score atleast 250, then their spinners can do damage to restrict NZ.

Heard this pitch ll have bounce in it, is that true ?

I reckon NZ may take this one. With the pitch assisting them...an Asian team will once again be found on a fast wicket. Is this NZ's time to shine?

1st Semi-Final: [New Zealand V Sri Lanka] - Updates

Not long left 30 minutes to go!!

Team Information: The Sri Lankans have decided to go into this game with Dilhara Fernando and it would be Farveez Maharoof who would be missing out and Lasith Malinga is back into the side after suffering that injury. The Kiwis have decided to play Jeetan Patel in their side and Jacob Oram would be making a comeback after suffering a heel injury.

Sri Lanka to Bat.

Come on Lankans, come Jayasuriya lets see some sixes!!!

pitch looks flat......with sri lanka batting first and if they put on a decent score , their spinners are going to make it very hard for new zealand to chase here.....

wd 0 4 0 4 0 0
fours to fine leg and long leg by Tharanga
SL 13-0 after 2

I have not been impressed with SL's batting so far. They only have 2 or 3 players who put up the score while others stand and watch. They would all need to chip in here.

Bond 0 0 0 nb 0 1 4
4 to third man by Tharanga
SL 32-1 after 6
Jacob Oram to bowl

Oram 3 4 0 0 1 2
3 runs by Tharanga to wide 3rd man
4 by Sangakara in covers
Tharanga 24 (19) Sangkakara 12 (31)
SL 43-1 after 9 @ 4.78

Last edited:
Why replace wicket taking Franklin with Oram after only 3 overs from the former?

NeVerMind said:
Why replace wicket taking Franklin with Oram after only 3 overs from the former?
probably to give him a little break so he can replace Bond in couple of overs. that is what is happening

The only contribution I am going to make for now is that this game has NO semi-final feel about it.

Nothing to do with Pak's absence - there have been plenty of recent WC tournaments that have not included Pak.

I've been watching the cookery channel for the last 20 mins...

APPALING COMMENTARY SO FAR ALSO!

Oxy said:
The only contribution I am going to make for now is that this game has NO semi-final feel about it.

Nothing to do with Pak's absence - there have been plenty of recent WC tournaments that have not included Pak.

I've been watching the cookery channel for the last 20 mins...APPALING COMMENTARY SO FAR ALSO!
:))
thats true ,nothing to do with Ind/Pak thing .really very boring.The last exciting world cup was in 1999.Even the semis of 2003 was boring .India was there ,but the game was boring.

Oxy said:

I've been watching the cookery channel for the last 20 mins...

APPALING COMMENTARY SO FAR ALSO!

I am listening the BBC radio commentary at work and that is pretty good...

how do u watch cricket in sopcast :( ?? I am running sopcast, but can't seem to find a channel which is showing cricket :|..

Still a load of empty seats in the sand. Very, very sad for the semi-finals of a major event.

desidudecool said:
i thought sangakara was more intelligent than that.bad shot could prove to be costly

mee too. I think he is trying to hard, which is why he hasnt performed while batting.. his keeping has been brilliant,,,just hope his keeping doesnt effect.

have to say, Pieterson is one of the most mentelly strong batsman in the world...

Sheikh said:
Still a load of empty seats in the sand. Very, very sad for the semi-finals of a major event.

I really hope Pakistani and indians fans come to watch, otherwise the wc 2011 will like this one...

Daniel Vettori is bowling right now,, lets see how sri lanka manage to play him..

both jaysurya and sanga looked too nervous..its a flat wicket good for bat but will start to slow up now.250 is a minumum

desidudecool said:
both jaysurya and sanga looked too nervous..its a flat wicket good for bat but will start to slow up now.250 is a minumum

Have to agree with you,, both player have played plenty of matches but still looked very nervous, Jajawardana now is too playing very slow and looking a bit nervous,,,,,

Sri Lanka really need to pick the run rate up now,, tharanga has to score a century now..

usman917 said:
SL need to shift gears here, this is just boring

have to agree with you,,, they have to play there natural game,, easier said that done, but the Australien has mastered it..

Noman said:
Have to agree with you,, both player have played plenty of matches but still looked very nervous, Jajawardana now is too playing very slow and looking a bit nervous,,,,,

Sri Lanka really need to pick the run rate up now,, tharanga has to score a century now..

^yeah sangakara looks awful he should've been demoted in the order

Sheikh said:
Exactly my point earlier - no semi 'feel' about it.

Masses of empty seats.

That confirms tthat the WC has been an overwhelming FAILURE.

ICC - hold your collective heads in shame.

tharanga is playing with a lot of confidence.going for his shots.looks like its still a good batting wicket looking at him play.coming on nicely.

Tharanga playing well , though the senior players have been very dissapointing so far

desidudecool said:
tharanga is playing with a lot of confidence.going for his shots.looks like its still a good batting wicket looking at him play.coming on nicely.

this is a good batting wicket, and sri lanka should aim for 250 minimum...

asifp said:
Tharanga playing well , though the senior players have been very dissapointing so far

Jayawardene has to stay on,, Tharanga is looking solid now,.

Patel is trying his best to make the bowl spin and he is giving a good flight....

Tharanga's been bold and reaping the rewards, though lady luck has been shining on him very brightly today.

Main thing is he's cashing in as the others are struggling to get a move on.

Bit of a single handed job at the minute.

New zealand fielding has been average at best today...this match is very even balance, anything can happend...

Oxy said:
Exactly my point earlier - no semi 'feel' about it.

Masses of empty seats.

That confirms tthat the WC has been an overwhelming FAILURE.

ICC - hold your collective heads in shame.

at least there is some sort of atmosphere with the music...But I'm sure Malcolm Speed with come up with his usual drivel about how well staged the WC was, and blah blah blah....

>>well, this is getting interessting now,, I feel for tharanga here,, Jayawardene was playing to slow here and tharanga though he has to do something speciel to keep the score board moving... Jayawardene is playing to slow need to play his natural gamell..

Noman said:
>>well, this is getting interessting now,, I feel for tharanga here,, Jayawardene was playing to slow here and tharanga though he has to do something speciel to keep the score board moving... Jayawardene is playing to slow need to play his natural gamell..

yeah jaywardene is tense .he is even struglling to run between the wicket at times.he has to carry on now.

Noman said:
Well, I thought you were supporting Sri Lanka....

I am supporting Sri Lanka... :19:

To be honest, I cannot make up my mind but I feel for the Kiwis, they have been so close so many times but no cigar. Plus I would like a team that have not won the World Cup before to win this one.

Back