2nd ODI, Faridabad: India v England

Rob H

Senior T20I Player
Runs
BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4860138.stm

Flintoff aiming for milestone win
One-day international, Faridabad: India v England - Match starts 0430 BST Friday

Andrew Flintoff is hoping to mark his 100th one-day international by leading England to victory over India.

But they go into Friday's game 1-0 down after throwing away the chance of winning the series opener in Delhi with a series of rash strokes.

And the team will be in unfamiliar surroundings after deciding not to have a practice session in Faridabad.

England chose to stay in Delhi rather than face the prospect of a lengthy round trip of five to six hours by bus.

"We gave it a lot of thought - what were the strengths and weaknesses of going down to practice just for two hours?

"The nets are outside the ground so you're not getting a feel of the wicket like some of the grounds where you practice at the side of the wicket.

"We just believe practising here far outweighs the negatives of going all the way out to Faridabad," coach Duncan Fletcher told BBC Sport.

England could give the side beaten in Delhi a chance to redeem themselves, although Matthew Hoggard is eager to play his first one-dayer for more than a year after taking a break following the Test series.

Lancashire paceman Sajid Mahmood is unlikely to be considered as he is still experiencing pain from a finger injury, even though an x-ray has confirmed there is no fracture.

It was the batting, however, which let England down in the first match and they cannot afford a repeat on what is expected to be another slow pitch.

Fletcher dismissed suggestions that Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen were guilty of trying to out-do each other in terms of big-hitting.

"From our point of view, they're two really good batters, they've played some very good innings where they've made sure they'd got used to the pace of the wicket and I'm sure they'll do it again.

"Sometimes you make mistakes and you've just got to make sure you don't keep repeating them," said Fletcher.

Flintoff will be only the 11th England player to make 100 one-day appearances, but it is his excellent response to taking over the captaincy mid-tour, which has really impressed Fletcher.

"He's shown a lot of enthusiam, a lot of imagination. There's a lot of pressure on him but he seems to be handling that pressure at the moment, which is a really good sign," Fletcher commented.

There is a ray of hope for England in the fact that India have only won once in five previous games at the Nahar Singh Stadium, failing to defend a score of 274-6 against Zimbabwe in their last appearance there four years ago.

The home side will make a late decision on the fitness of all-rounder Irfan Pathan, who is suffering from flu.

"We have rested him as a precaution. Hopefully, he will be fit to play," said captain Rahul Dravid.

If Pathan is ruled out, paceman Munaf Patel could make his one-day debut, or they could turn to Ramesh Powar, an off-spinner and useful batsman.

Opener Virender Sehwag will definitely play even though he is still receiving treatment for a back problem.

India (from): RS Dravid (captain), V Sehwag, G Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, M Kaif, SK Raina, MS Dhoni, IK Pathan, YV Rao, MM Patel, S Sreesanth, Harbhajan Singh, RR Powar, RP Singh.

England (from): A Flintoff (captain), K Ali, JM Anderson, GJ Batty, IR Bell, ID Blackwell, PD Collingwood, MJ Hoggard, GO Jones, SI Mahmood, KP Pietersen, LE Plunkett, MJ Prior, OA Shah, VS Solanki, AJ Strauss.

Umpires: A Jayaprakash (India) & Asad Rauf (Pakistan)

----------------------------------------------------------------
I really hope England bat first. I feel with our batting line up right now it's better getting the runs on the board than the pressure of having to chase them down. Will be a good game though.

Last edited:
I think we wasted a opportunity to put India under some early pressure in the series, we honestly should have won on Tuesday and thanks to the sweep shot, we blew it. How many times does the sweep have to ruin games for us before Fletcher doesnt encourage it as much?

We will probs lose the series now unless we have some luck with the tosses, maybe we will win our token 1 or 2 games while the other team looks a lot more convincing, thats how it always happens in one dayers with England.

Whippy squash said:
I think we wasted a opportunity to put India under some early pressure in the series, we honestly should have won on Tuesday and thanks to the sweep shot, we blew it. How many times does the sweep have to ruin games for us before Fletcher doesnt encourage it as much?

We will probs lose the series now unless we have some luck with the tosses, maybe we will win our token 1 or 2 games while the other team looks a lot more convincing, thats how it always happens in one dayers with England.

Didn't England win Natwest trophy against the Aussies last year? I thought they played really well.

It was a draw but that too was a game they should have won dismissing Australia under 200.

England played well in the buildup to Natwest Series final, but once they got there they were lucky to escape with a tie after a top order collapse, and they shared the trophy with the Aussies.

Then Australia won Natwest Challenge 2-1, pretty convincingly as well.

Our home ODI performances can be good, but away from home we are usually useless unless we play minnows.

whats the heads up on sajjid mehmood? is he any good?whats his county image so far?

he is a good prospect and will probably feature in this one day series sooner or later. Obviously he is being hyped up as next Ambrose because he is a young and tall English bowler :)) I doubt he will be that, but Id like to see him play

Have a feeling Engerland will win this one convincingly.

They should be able to....the problem with England is wrong shot selection which can be rectified...this being not a high scoring pitch should allow them the luxury to do that.
The problem with India is much deeper, wrong shot selection with NO EFFORT at even trying to correct it.
Bhajji having done his job for the next 6 series will probably go back to his normal form (although I really hope not)

Who do you think will score in this match. From cricinfo's preview it seems like nearly everyone will Bowl well :)

england batting, after freedie won the toss

same team for england

india have dropped RIP singh and got powar in!

freedie in his 100th one dayers, :O:O (i thought by now should be close to 200th) anyways

priorr and strauss come out to bat

heres one for the srinath commentery loves

nasser hussain : good morning sri

srinath : good morning NAZ:))):))

here comes powar, (inzi looks so much fitter if you compare him with powar

54 for 0 england begining to open up a bit here

12 overs

droppedddddddddddd the easiest caught n bowl chance ever in the history of the game...powar makes history!!!!!!

srinath : simplest of the catches maybe the glasses

yeah right!!!

there u go now....india lose when their fielding drops....like in Mumbai

66/0 at 15

what are the chances that england reach 300 safely. This pitch 270 in 2nd innings is supposedly safe.

sp10006 said:
there u go now....india lose when their fielding drops....like in Mumbai

We would have lost even if we held those catches in Mumbai.

Coming to this match, dropping one catch here and there is a part of the game. Dravid was dropped on 0 in the first ODI. So, relax.

The pitch is going to get worse for hitting later ....so get in your hitters early and with plenty time to get used to it

sp10006 said:
66/0 at 15

what are the chances that england reach 300 safely. This pitch 270 in 2nd innings is supposedly safe.

This pitch is so slow that I think 225 is a winnable total on this one. Very similar (or worse) compared to Kotla pitch. e.g. Pathan's first ball of the innings reached Dhoni on 3rd bounce. :O

sp10006 said:
if I were flintoff I would get in KP now
owais shah out.................................powar gets him, didnt look out though lets see the replay
71 for 2

this guy looks like an absolute joka no offence to anyone this ram powar....funny glasses, funny man

that was out ball took the edge onto the pad and dhoni takes a good diving catch ...shah goes for 0 :(

kp comes in :11:

Why does he put on that Sunglasses...apart from the obvious reason....

Yeah...definitely looks funny :) I hear he is a hitter though...yet to see him bat

ok owais shah was not out:12: umpire made a complete meal out of it , my first first impressions were spot on, shame shame umpire............

76 for 2

Bhajji getting huge turn....more than he normally gets...good thing England have only Blackwell

Damn, I was hoping Shah would perform well today

Oh wellz, another day maybe..

sp10006 said:
Why does he put on that Sunglasses...apart from the obvious reason....

Yeah...definitely looks funny :) I hear he is a hitter though...yet to see him bat
seriously needs to loose a lot of weight , even to get his size down to inzi,z......

hes more closer to ranatunga, and i hear hes a good fielder:O:O

dhoni misses a stumping chance:))):))

4 byzzz
80 for 2

Who is the umpire....Rauf?? I shd think a bat pad shd be easier to spot with an offie

sp10006 said:
Who is the umpire....Rauf?? I shd think a bat pad shd be easier to spot with an offie
no , an indian umpire dont know his name,

the asad roooof guy is an excellent umpire, im impressed......

this is a spinners paradise this track...wonder why cant they make such tracks when bhajji isnt playing :16:

i think they tailor make it for him...honest :30:

83 for 2

Honestly....even Powar's getting sharp turn....infact Strauss has been doing pretty good to cope so far....as he is a so-so spin player

sp10006 said:
Honestly....even Powar's getting sharp turn....infact Strauss has been doing pretty good to cope so far....as he is a so-so spin player

Honestly, do you think even Indians can play such turning balls? Just because we Indians have to face only one spinner (Blackwell) who is not that great shakes, we are good players of spin? Even then in the last match, Blackwell had figures of 2-23 in the last match and Bhajji had given those many runs in first 5 overs before the English gifted the wickets to him on a "jhaadu" (sweep). On the contrary, whenever Indians had to play even decent spin bowling on turning tracks, most of the times even our batsmen have looked clueless and most of the times even we have lost. Just check the record of Indians against Pak and SL on turning tracks in ODIs.

I think Strauss is a better player of spin than most Indians.

aggarwald said:
Honestly, do you think even Indians can play such turning balls? Just because we Indians have to face only one spinner (Blackwell) who is not that great shakes, we are good players of spin? Even then in the last match, Blackwell had figures of 2-23 in the last match and Bhajji had given those many runs in first 5 overs before the English gifted the wickets to him on a "jhaadu" (sweep). On the contrary, whenever Indians had to play even decent spin bowling on turning tracks, most of the times even our batsmen have looked clueless and most of the times even we have lost. Just check the record of Indians against Pak and SL on turning tracks in ODIs.

I think Strauss is a better player of spin than most Indians.
Never said Indians to be good players of spin...maybe at one time. Dunno about what you said though, he still seems a so-so player for spin.

sehwag,s getting more turn then both bhajji and powar put together :)):)))

116 for 2

ps: good morning aggarwald!

Pitch does look difficult to score on. 250 could well be a safe score...with the Indians in the form they are right now.

whats wrong with Pietersen. Why is he playing too slow. NO 6 or 4 from him so far???

Fricken Dhoni, he misses, stumpings, drops catches and now a run-out chance GONE.. MY god KP has got like a 1000 lives this innings and if ENg doesnt win from here it is a great shame.....I cant believe people were comparing Kamran with Dhoni, what a joke....

Doesnt need to...he is scoring easily off Sehwag...someone needs to get Raina on...Sehwag is useless today.

Romali_rotti said:
Fricken Dhoni, he misses, stumpings, drops catches and now a run-out chance GONE.. MY god KP has got like a 1000 lives this innings and if ENg doesnt win from here it is a great shame.....I cant believe people were comparing Kamran with Dhoni, what a joke....
post of the week that :))):))

133 for 2

time since last boundery 80 ballss

30.3 overs

bolwd!!!!!!!!!!

cleaned up strauss..dances down the track and miss powar gets his man

well played though ...made 61

135 for3

here comes feedie flintoff in his 100th one dayer:11:

hell even bhajji has played more then freedie:O

Time for some fireworks.....anyone hoping for another version of Freddie Vs KP show.....

Imagine KP scoring 31 already with NO BOUNDARIES at all.....lagta hai last match mein kisine sahi se kaan kheencha hai :)

kp might be out.we are going upstairssssss and he is innnnnnnnnnnnn just

lets see whatthe umpire decison is this is a hard one

If either of these two stay beyond the next 5 overs, Dravid better set his fielders on the boundary and ask his slower bowlers to bowl as flat as possible.

With 4 spinners India are really rushing through their overs.

dances down the track to powar and miss, dhoni does the rest (for a change gets the job done dhoni
but freedie :(

Waheed_one said:
ok 250 now

I doubt 250. Probably 225, but I would not be surprised if England collapse AGAIN. I think India has this one in the bag, havent they won like 15+ straight when chasing? Whats with the english not being able to play the spin?

greentie said:
okkk....what was so brilliant about bhajis fielding there?!?! stupid play by play

Come on it is the Indians.............If any one even sneez it is hyped for nothing.

Back