3rd Test - England vs Australia @ Old Trafford [10/08/05]

Shayan

ODI Debutant
Runs
Brett Lee has been passed fit and will play in tomorrow's crucial third Test , while Glenn McGrath cannot yet be ruled out of contention, after both players took part in a pre-match training session at Old Trafford.

Lee spent two nights in a Birmingham hospital after complaining of soreness and swelling around his left knee, but responded well to treatment and came through his net session with no ill-effects. "Brett Lee is fit and available for selection," an Australia spokesman told AFP. "Glenn McGrath will be assessed again tonight and tomorrow [Thursday] morning and the team will be finalised then."

McGrath remains a long-shot for this match, after he tore ankle ligaments by stepping on a cricket ball moments before the Edgbaston Test got underway, but when asked if he was out of the equation, Ponting refused to rule him out entirely.

"I won't say that definitely, no," he added. "He has come a long way from being on crutches a few days ago to getting round quite freely now. He's improved quite dramatically. We are still keeping our fingers crossed for him. But with an injury like he's had you'd want to know how it would respond after one stint of bowling."

McGrath hit the stumps with the first ball he sent down and had worked up a lively pace by the end of the session, although Errol Alcott, the team physio, had been cautious in his initial assessment.

"He had a scan on Monday for professional curiosity which disclosed extensive ligament damage which we were aware of when the accident occurred," Alcott explained. "We will now have to wait for the full medical evidence on the injury before we know how long he will be out of action."

McGrath's early return would be a massive boost for Australia, after the disappointment of losing the second Test at Edgbaston. He picked up match figures of 9 for 82 in the first match at Lord's, and had he played in the second game, Australia might well be 2-0 up in the series already.

England, meanwhile, have delayed naming their XI until the morning of the match, with Chris Tremlett an outside bet for a Test debut if the pitch proves to be as hard and bouncy as the groundsman, Peter Marron, suggests. If he did play, it is likely to be at the expense of the off-colour Matthew Hoggard.

Last edited by a moderator:
a bit excited arent u?....theres still 10 and a half hours to go....

England wait on team selection

Cricinfo staff

August 10, 2005

spacer.gif

215607.jpg

Andrew Flintoff: preparing for his 50th Test © Getty Images

As if his transformation into a national hero wasn't enough to be getting on with, Andrew Flintoff has been appointed an honorary selector as he prepares to play his 50th Test in front of an adoring home crowd at Old Trafford.

Flintoff's allround heroics set up an excruciatingly tight two-run victory for England in the second Test at Edgbaston on Sunday, and now he is to be called upon to assess the conditions at Old Trafford before England decide on their final XI for tomorrow's third Test.

The temptation to name an unchanged side must be strong, but England are toying with the idea of giving a debut to the tall Hampshire seamer, Chris Tremlett, whose key attributes of bounce could play a part on a rock-hard Old Trafford pitch.

"We just want to see the conditions and have a good long chat with Freddie [Flintoff]," Michael Vaughan told reporters on the eve of the match. "It's his home ground. He knows the conditions better than most, certainly over the last year or so.

"We haven't played that much here so we are going to try to use his experience and see which is the best way to go," added Vaughan, whose Yorkshire team-mate Matthew Hoggard would appear to be the most likely candidate to make way if Tremlett were to feature in this Test.

"We want to have a look at the options of normal swing [Hoggard's speciality], reverse swing, bounce [Tremlett], all the areas that you cover in a normal game of cricket. "We probably won't decide until the last minute."

Flintoff's Man-of-the-Match performance at Edgbaston included bowling figures of 7 for 131 and crucial innings of 68 and 73. "It's difficult to say if there's more to come from him," said Vaughan. "He didn't get five-for and he didn't get a hundred. That's the one area where he could get better, but it was an incredible game for the team and it was certainly a magnificent game for Freddie."

England's latest victory was their first in a "live" Ashes Test since the opening match of the 1997 series, also at Edgbaston. "I always think momentum's great but it can be difficult to deal with," explained Vaughan, whose dream of becoming the first England captain in nine series to win the Ashes is still alive.

"Everyone said Australia had the momentum going into Edgbaston, but for the first three days we dominated the game and it was only that last morning where they came back into it. You really do have to wipe the slate clean and make sure we go into this game fresh."

Vaughan's concerns in the captaincy department are as nothing compared to his batting woes. He has scored just 32 runs in four innings, but was philosophical about his bad trot. "When you are playing well and getting a lot of runs that kind of form has to come to an end," he said. "When you get a run of low scores that has to come to an end.

"You can't keep getting low scores. You work hard, keep doing the right things, and it will change in the middle, it has too," added Vaughan who scored three hundreds in the last Ashes series, in Australia in 2002-03. "Sometimes you have to give credit to the bowlers. They've put all the batsmen under pressure."

I am really looking forward to this test - its the crucial one.

If I am honest, I get more excited by an Ashes series- esp when its close. Great crowds; great coverage on TV; top commentators.

Sub-continent needs to work hard at its presentation of test cricket - on and off the field.

Oxy™ said:
I am really looking forward to this test - its the crucial one.

If I am honest, I get more excited by an Ashes series- esp when its close. Great crowds; great coverage on TV; top commentators.

Sub-continent needs to work hard at its presentation of test cricket - on and off the field.

I agree, the atmosphere in the evening of the 3rd day was just incredible. Test cricket in England is arguably the best test cricket around.

...but the 11 people that turn up for the Karachi test always makes a lot of noise!

Oxy™ said:
...but that 1 guy in the Karachi test always makes a lot of noise!

this must be why england refuse to play there

dangerous crowd :13:

I see theyve persisted with the passenger like jason gillespie who up till now has just been smashed around. I think he is taking up a space of a vital leg spinner in macgill who would pose far more problems. Gillespie MUST perfrom in this game otherwise he should be sent packing back to australia.

Let's just wait for another hour, before Mcgrath takes a wicket. He is so boring to watch at times, and then ppl compare him with Wasim Akram.

4.5 McGrath to Trescothick, one run, Dropped! fullish and outside the
off, edged neatly towards first slip, no movement of the feet,
Gilchrist dives in front of first slip and goes for the one-handed
catch and grasses the catch!

his foot jammed again

It's usually openers with crap techniques who are most effective in modern cricket - Sehwag, Gayle, Trescothick to name but a few.

Lee seems to bowl well with Mcgrath around. Just shows what aa godd bowler at the end can do for your confidence. I think Sami critics should watch carefully.

What a ball by Lee. Strauss loses his off pole to a slower ball. Credit to the bowler.

Strauss bowled by a slower yorker from Lee. 26-1. Lets see how long Vaughan lasts.

They always are beauties from good opposition, a good batsmen would have picked up a slower delivery.

3 rd test in a row where the over-rate has been shocking.

ICC will have to act-if not, it is clear that there is a discrimanatory bias within the 'ivory towers'.

Its about time australia crucified jesus christ (jason gillespie) and hope that he doesnt resurrect back to life. It seems he needs a miracle to get a wicket and they should start looking for a new prophet although the messiah stuart macgill should have played!!!

Oxy™ said:
3 rd test in a row where the over-rate has been shocking.

ICC will have to act-if not, it is clear that there is a discrimanatory bias within the 'ivory towers'.

if Inzi or Gunguly were Captain, they would have received Ban or cut of 50% from match fees.
our boards need to take action now.

Ahahahahahaha .... bowled of a no-ball.

Ahaha ... Boycott is ecstatic!

It's almost as if Ponting doesn't want to accept his seamers have failed him today, barring Lee of course.

I now believe that if England get to 400 - Australia will struggle as in the 2nd test - well done Engerland!!!

I remember some1 saying on PakPassion, when Mcgrath gets whacked around, Ponting takes him off, cos he isn't effective. He's come back well today.

MIG, don't speak too soon, because the famous English Collapse can be around the corner. You only have one Warneing.

Bodyline, Reverse Swing.. all trends may come and go but you can at least rely on the English batting collapse.

Probably when Warne comes on.

Hehe Mcgrath was taken off after he got hit, the theory about his temperament could be true.

I think he's been highly unlucky so far.

He did no worse than any other top order batter against McGrath, got a leggie which didn't spin in the second innings. Got the best full pitched ball of the innings at Edgbaston and was then wrongly given out when he got a start of 21 in the second innings.

(This post is probably the kiss of death now isn't it?)

Last edited:
Gasherbrum said:
seems like a brilliant knock. didn't see it myself, but well done vaughan.

And some wanted him packing his bags (on the basis of some crude math). Thats why they class is permenant!

What class Marooned? its one century in ages against a decent team and besides he has been getting bowled between his bat and pad which is a clear indication of how ordinary his technique is. For a top order batsman to get bowled so much its just a matter of shame.

now thats what i call true fast bowler aggression. lee bowling a 90+mph bouncer to dismiss pieterson, then a 95+ mph straight ball into the off stump to hoggard

Nauman said:
What class Marooned? its one century in ages against a decent team and besides he has been getting bowled between his bat and pad which is a clear indication of how ordinary his technique is. For a top order batsman to get bowled so much its just a matter of shame.

The Aussies, Day 1, Series 1/1, Test three, 166 off 210, I'd take it!
My point earlier was that he is the sort of player who can and will deliver when it matters. 15 100s in 60 games and he tends to go on and get big ones and does so importantly in attacking fashion. Everything else becomes secondary.

He can have technical issues early on in his inning but he has the ability to get through that. He has all the shots that matter and the time which makes him class and to top it all he has the ability to dominate quality bowlers.

Pietersen the prat, new ball was taken and they put a guy out on the boundary and two balls later he hooks it right down the man's throat with 4 overs left to play and instead of being 3 wickets down England are 5 down and Flintoff has to start his innings tomorrow facing Lee and McGrath charging in with a full day's rest

I think 450 is more likely, if that.

I'm not convinced this is a super batting wicket, Lee found enough in it to suggest that it's not all plain sailing for the batsmen and Bell had to play pretty sensibley.

England are about to create history in this series...England are playing with great spirit - Even giles is looking good in this series and picking up important wickets !

I know its early days but if this test goes to England, Aussie are finished.

There has been a lot of talk around the world about Gilchrist being able to make an all time world 11. I am not as convinced by that talk. My reasoning is that if you pick a world 11 from all time, then you can rest assured that the top 6 in the batting line-up will be strong. Thus a great batsman who keeps at 7 is less important that a great keeeper who holds his catches even if he does not score as many as a Gilchrist would.

From today it is obvious that Gilly is a good keeper - nothing more. In an all time world 11 team I would want a great keeper.

As for this match, one big advantage England might have is that they have been reverse swinging the ball a lot more than Australia this series. This is an abrasive pitch, ideal for reverse swing and that soemthing England can expolit.

Moreover reverse swing is an attacking form of bowling - you have to pitch the ball up, so you may go for runs. But if your bowling, secure in the knowledge that your own team has put a lot of runs on the board, you can fully attack with reverse swing more easily.

MenInGreen said:
I know its early days but if this test goes to England, Aussie are finished.

Even if England win this one I doubt the series will be over and I'd expect the Aussies to win the next. They remain an excellent team of course and it will be very difficult to win three in a row against them. 2/2 may be more of a possibility.

England must not collapse early morning tomorrow if they are to really take this opportunity and get a hold on this match. If Flintoff can see through the new ball and get a 80 odd England should be in the drivers seat.

When bowling Damien Martyn would be their greatest threat.

Aus need to get flintoff and jones out asap.

Back