Australia reach 116/2 at Stumps on rain-shortened Day 2 of the 3rd Test against Pakistan

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1704314315340.jpeg

Australia dominated the morning session, claiming 4 wickets. However, Rizwan and Salman provided a glimmer of hope for Pakistan with an impressive 94-run partnership. Rizwan, unfortunately, fell short of a well-deserved century.

Cummins posed a constant threat, securing another 5-wicket haul. The resilient final-wicket pair revived the contest, with Jamal showcasing a brilliant display of caution and aggression, accumulating 82 runs off 97 balls. Supported by Hamza, they forged an 86-run partnership, taking their team past the 300-run mark.

Warner and Khawaja successfully negotiated an over before the day's end. In his farewell Test, Warner marked the occasion with a boundary off the first ball, earning cheers from the SCG crowd. Warner had a close call, narrowly avoiding chopping one back onto his stumps against Sajid Khan.

The Test is currently finely balanced. Can Warner deliver a special performance in his Farewell Test tomorrow? If he does, it would be a script even the divine couldn't have written better.

When: January 4, 4:30 AM PST

Where: SCG, Sydney

Australia Playing XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Mitchell Marsh, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

Pakistan Playing XI: Saim Ayub, Abdullah Shafique, Shan Masood (c), Babar Azam, Saud Shakeel, Mohammad Rizwan (wk), Agha Salman, Hasan Ali, Sajid Khan, Aamer Jamal, Mir Hamza

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Though I am of the opinion that Afridi needed a rest it will be harder to create pressure without him
Hope Hamza and Jamal can continue their good work, Jamal will need to keep tighter lines and lengths.
Should look at a minimum of 3 scalps in the first session to keep us in the hunt

Pitch is good for batting. No Shaheen no abrar. Keep them under 400 max. Then try to get 350 and hope for Aussie collapse in 4th innings conditions which will be worst for betting with more assistance for spin.
Only other hope is some good swing condings with cloud cover before and after rain allowing Hasan and hamza to get some more swing and take 2 wickets a piece.

Pakistan needs to get early wickets today. If somehow Pakistan manages to get them all out under 250 so there would be a good chance for them to break the losing streak here in Sydney

Pakistan needs to get early wickets today. If somehow Pakistan manages to get them all out under 250 so there would be a good chance for them to break the losing streak here in Sydney

For sure.

Pakistan have to bowl out of their skins to restrict this strong Aussie side to 300 or less.

Hope Pak seal this. 300+ is never bad even on the flattest of pitches. Ofc this was a 400-500 pitch but it’s enough of a deficit to create panic and bowl the other team out 🎂 🍰

hassan ali need to put his hands up and take 2 wickets here. I think this pitch will become harder to bat on the last day.

Pitch is good for batting. No Shaheen no abrar. Keep them under 400 max. Then try to get 350 and hope for Aussie collapse in 4th innings conditions which will be worst for betting with more assistance for spin.
Only other hope is some good swing condings with cloud cover before and after rain allowing Hasan and hamza to get some more swing and take 2 wickets a piece.
People keep saying its good for batting lets see how australia bat with the new ball, I think until 25 overs the ball will do something all the time, but pakistan must make Australia play aggressively so that brings wickets.

They have the runs on the board.

I think restricting Australia to anything less than 400 is going to put Pakistan in a prime position to win this Test. Anything over this is going to make things a bit iffy.

They have the runs on the board.

I think restricting Australia to anything less than 400 is going to put Pakistan in a prime position to win this Test. Anything over this is going to make things a bit iffy.
400 is way too high

pak need to restrict australia under 300

Nothing bowling from Hassan Ali

Typical good for comeback only bowler

Absolute useless bowler is hasan and keeps getting selected i wud have dhani over him..his batting has gone worse and worse too

Such a good shot from Warner

1j1UNbO.png

Hasan Ali is absolute rubbish. How is this guy even in the side? He bowler OK at MCG on a very bowler friendly wicket. He has no energy, no zip, no pace, he is garbage

Mir Hamza reminds me so much of Irfan Pathan. Similar pace, bowling style and swing.

"I don't think they will be able to get the ball above chest height [at that pace]." Mark Waugh

Hasan Ali is absolute rubbish. How is this guy even in the side? He bowler OK at MCG on a very bowler friendly wicket. He has no energy, no zip, no pace, he is garbage
Wonder why Wasim Jnr didn't get a chance? Maybe the think thank don't think he can last a test match

did just enough to retain his place after the MCG test but the result of wasim jr's exclusion is being laid bare here

hassan ali needs to go.

brings nothing to the table no pace no swing no control

we could have easily had dahani in his place

Both Aussie openers not trying to attack either that may induce a false stroke...a game of patience

Push Warner back, bowl a short one.

I don't get the logic of winwiz showing 82% chance for Aus at this stage. It's not like Pakistan has put 150 runs.

Makes a huge difference when you have a bowler who can bowl economically

I’m done. I’m done. Turning off the TV.

See y’all at the t20 WC. Enough of this horse dung.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE????!!’

Customary regulation catch drop of Warner by Pakistan. It happens like a clockwork.

why would u put saim in the slips agha was doing fine.

dont think saim had ever fielded in the slips ever before

Why would you place a debutatant at that position
Pathetic
Slip cordon should be only for the best catchers

I’m done. I’m done. Turning off the TV.

See y’all at the t20 WC. Enough of this horse dung.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE????!!’
Brother, it's the pressure. Our players are mentally weak. Watch them let Warner score a century now.

Since the world Cup, I'm sure they have dropped Warner at least once in every innings since
They drop him regularly. He then scores a HUGE hundred. No idea why they never learn their lesson. The most easiest catches are dropped. Is Shan thick, why does he put these crap fielders in the slip corden

our love of warner continues, we just love giving him so many gifts
why a debutant is at first slip is anyone's guess. Either agha or babar should be there

To win test matches you have to bat well bowl well and catch everything.Pakistan has always lacked one of these.When the batting clicks the bowling is rubbish.When bowlers are on top the batting fails.When both batting and bowling are good the fielding lets them down.Australia on the other are quite good in all three hence they win test matches.

They really need to stop eating buttery parathas before each session. Clearly the buttery residue is still on their hands

Jamal is quicker than the opening bowlers - Quicker than Faheem Ashraf too who I hope we've seen the last of.

Warner can't trust the pace of the Pakistani bowler, so he's making it quick for himself by stepping out of the crease :D

1704328312838.jpeg

No matter young or old players all the players are terrible fielders

Early days but Saim doesnt look like the kind of guy that is up for a fight.

Too soft

Babar was on the field

Why wasn’t he at first slip?

Early days but Saim doesnt look like the kind of guy that is up for a fight.

Too soft
Yeah you can clearly see by looking at his face he's nervous and was not ready at all

this has been a pretty rubbish series for Warner

He shouldn’t really have crossed 20 once throughout

Yeah you can clearly see by looking at his face he's nervous and was not ready at all
I mean generally too.

Just seems to be too soft. Lovely player, lovely talent but just doesn’t look hungry enough

Back