Afghanistan (115/5) defeat Bangladesh (105) by 8 runs (DLS) in a nail-biting contest to qualify for the Semi-Final of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Afghanistan's first-ever win over Australia in international cricket was historic in every sense of the word and it blew Group 1 of the Super 8s wide open. In the final game of the Super 8s, Afghanistan face Bangladesh at the Arnos Vale Ground in St Vincent. If Afghanistan win this match and India beat Australia, both victors will advance to the semi-finals. In doing so, they will knock out both Australia and Bangladesh. Reflecting on their last game against Australia, the opening pair of Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran shone again, laying a solid foundation before the bowlers stepped up to seal the victory.

However, Afghanistan's middle-order struggles have continued, and with their sights set on their maiden semi-final appearance in a Men's ICC event, it's now or never for the likes of Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai and Mohammad Nabi to step up with the bat. In a rare occurrence, Fazalhaq Farooqi went wicketless in the last game, but his new-ball partner Naveen-ul-Haq did the job admirably. Afghanistan fans will be hoping the pace pairing can continue to perform effectively. The stakes couldn't be higher for Afghanistan and the performances of the spin twins, Rashid Khan and Noor Ahmad will be crucial in securing their place in the semi-finals.

Squads:

Afghanistan Squad:
Rahmanullah Gurbaz (wk), Ibrahim Zadran, Azmatullah Omarzai, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Ishaq, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan (c), Nangyal Kharoti, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Fareed Ahmad Malik

Bangladesh Squad: Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das(w), Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Towhid Hridoy, Shakib Al Hasan, Mahmudullah, Rishad Hossain, Mahedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Mustafizur Rahman, Jaker Ali, Tanvir Islam, Shoriful Islam, Soumya Sarkar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Hoping for a good game.

Can Afghans get their first ever World Cup win over BD? They have a good opportunity today.

Hoping for a good game.

Can Afghans get their first ever World Cup win over BD? They have a good opportunity today.
They will, this current Afghanistan team is the strongest Afghanistan team in history facing a subpar bangaldesh side

Let's see.

I expect a low-scoring game. St. Vincent.
A very good match would be 2024 Afghanistan vs 2011 Bangladesh. I don't expect bamgaldesh to win but then again, SA and Afghanistan have been surprising us the whole tournament

Hoping for a good game.

We also have a opportunity to reach semi, I think we need to beat Afg by 62 runs. Qudrat ka nizam time!

Issue is as I said in other thread with current form of two teams we need qudrat ka nizam only to beat Afg. And we need qudrat ka nizam to the power infinity to beat Afg by 62 runs lol

Afghans need to remain calm and let BD implode if not BD will come out on top.

Its an extremely hard ground to chase as Australia found out the other day. If Bangladesh win the toss and bat first, it wont be easy for Afghanistan to chase. Australia still has hope.

Afghans need to remain calm and let BD implode if not BD will come out on top.
Afgan needs to play us by the merit of BD team. They have not beat us yet in icc events because I think in couple of times their ego got better of them and did not took us seriously and other times were over cautious.

If they just play normally with plan and take the game seriously and respect the opponent their is no chance for this BD team to beat this Afg team

Both teams have a chance. Will BD show courage and take risks to make a dash. They will never ever get a chance like this.

Message from Aussie captain:

Marsh: Come on Bangladesh!

Australia's captain Mitchell Marsh:

"Lots of small margins, ultimately India were the better team, Rohit got them off to a flyer.

"Run chase like that, if you can keep it at 10 for a long as possible then you're in the game, but India's bowlers were too strong.

"Come on Bangladesh!"

Bruh, Bangladesh have their qualification in their own hands...ace the afghans by a big enough margin...theres no qudrat ka nizam here.
They have to go after that big win at the risk of losing. They cannot play just for win. That is useless.

Big test for Afghanistan. It's about winning to qualify for a semifinal, better teams have collapsed in such a scenario

Both teams have a chance. Will BD show courage and take risks to make a dash. They will never ever get a chance like this.
I don't think we will make a dash..64 runs or 12.2 overs is too much to ask from this batting in the current state they are. First job is to beat Afg. And I think team will plan on that. Semi equation is quiet nonexistent

Everyone saying either Afghan or Aussies will go through,

Watch Bangladesh re-write the script tomorrow :cool:.

I don't think we will make a dash..64 runs or 12.2 overs is too much to ask from this batting in the current state they are. First job is to beat Afg. And I think team will plan on that. Semi equation is quiet nonexistent
I know it is tough. But what is the point of earning a consolation win when you have an unusual opportunity. NObody remotely thought about this scenario.

Have Feeling BD will spoil Afghan party . Afghan need to focus and don’t get over excited . Just go and get the job done . You won’t always have such opportunity

I know it is tough. But what is the point of earning a consolation win when you have an unusual opportunity. NObody remotely thought about this scenario.
To understand what's the point you need to think from our end brother. It's hard to think from our end when you have a team that do not lose consistently.

Winning against Afg is a big thing at the moment to close the super 8 with a win. I understand your point that why don't you try? If you lose you lose what's the point of winning if it don't progress you. I understand that

But I don't think they will still go for it. They want to save their ass by winning first

I think Bangladesh could chase a score in 10-12 overs if afghans make a modest score assuming they can qualify with that. Will be great entertainment tonight.

I want Afghanistan to win.

Il I support Australia but Australia doesn't deserve to go through. I don't want Australia to turn into another Pakistan where qudrat Ki nizam comes into play.

Afghanistan deserves it.

At the end of the day, it may just come down to Litton Da taking his sweet time against Australia, and also playing like bunch of child against Ind chasing 196.

Not as straightforward as folks think here. Knock out pressure , big game pressure does strange things. Not a given that Afg will win. Ban have nothing to lose here, so they can play with freedom. And Afg can collapse due to the sheer pressure. Aus will be having a very nervous few hours now. Should be another cracker of a game! Boy, this WC has been absolute corker of a WC !(y)

At the end of the day, it may just come down to Litton Da taking his sweet time against Australia, and also playing like bunch of child against Ind chasing 196.
Litton is a gone case. Has been waiting for his breakthru season for almost a decade. Any new WKs in Ban?

Litton is a gone case. Has been waiting for his breakthru season for almost a decade. Any new WKs in Ban?
We had Akbar Ali the kid who was captain of BD u19 team that won the u19 world cup. In final played a good innings. We had high hopes for him but at the moment he is not doing that good in domestics

Still very young, let's see if he can turn around his career

We also have a opportunity to reach semi, I think we need to beat Afg by 62 runs. Qudrat ka nizam time!

Issue is as I said in other thread with current form of two teams we need qudrat ka nizam only to beat Afg. And we need qudrat ka nizam to the power infinity to beat Afg by 62 runs lol

62 is too much. LOL.

31 was doable.

BD should try to win and make it 5-0 against AFG in World Cups.

He is relatively decent in test match. I was never really impressed with his LOI batting. Even his sixes and fours never convinced me that he can generate power.

They will, this current Afghanistan team is the strongest Afghanistan team in history facing a subpar bangaldesh side
I agree.
This Afghanistan side is favourites today.
Bangladesh's top order batting is almost non existent and most fragil. Whereas Afghanistan has the best opening pair of this tournament.

Bangladesh will have chance if they can get Gurbaz and Zadran very early.

I m not a fan of Afgan middle order. And they are still to be tested.

Bangladesh will have chance if they can get Gurbaz and Zadran very early.

I m not a fan of Afgan middle order. And they are still to be tested.
In 2023 world cup they literally gifted their wicket by slogging way too early. But if they apply the same strategy they had against Australia they will have a real shot.

He has back ups. Parchi, Nepotism and ...

Fans want him to be out of the side for long time. But selectors vs Liton romance and love story 💕 continue. It beat Laily Maznu premkahani a long time ago

In 2023 world cup they literally gifted their wicket by slogging way too early. But if they apply the same strategy they had against Australia they will have a real shot.
The pitch is supposed to be tricky for batting. Team whose batsmen will put their heads down, play according to the merit of the ball will win.

Gurbaz and Zadran- I loved the way they batted against Australia. Just in the way a batter should bat on these pitches.

But Afghanistan will face a big big problem if these two gets out very early.

That is Afghanistan's biggest weakness. Too much reliability on their openers.

Not as straightforward as folks think here. Knock out pressure , big game pressure does strange things. Not a given that Afg will win. Ban have nothing to lose here, so they can play with freedom. And Afg can collapse due to the sheer pressure. Aus will be having a very nervous few hours now. Should be another cracker of a game! Boy, this WC has been absolute corker of a WC !(y)
I agree. It should be a cracker of a match.

Hope Afghanistan doesn't do anything extravagant against BD. If they overtry it migth back fire. They just have to score 1 run more than BD.

Hope Afghanistan doesn't do anything extravagant against BD. If they overtry it migth back fire. They just have to score 1 run more than BD.
Not happening afghans buckle first sign of pressure.. travis head waiting to take 3rd icc title in 12 months of india on Saturday

I wish we had last game against Afghanistan.

We make sure that Afghanistan will qualified for semi so we can calculate how many minimum runs they need to reach.

:kp:misbah

PP would have gone bonkers after that. :dw

Bangladesh should go all out tomorrow, never a better opportunity. Dismiss Afghans opening batsmen early and game on.

Afghans should be less extravagant, play a good game of cricket and lets Bangladesh make their mistakes.

If BD win this game, they can return home with an alright performance overall (wins over Sri Lanka and Afghanistan).

If BD lose, it would be a par performance (winning against SL and reaching Super 8).

If BD win this game, they can return home with an okay performance overall (wins over Sri Lanka and Afghanistan).

If BD lose, it would be a par performance (winning against SL and reaching Super 8).
Yeah and I think they will try to do that. Win first

Bangladesh has an upper hand in World Cups.. lets see if they can retain this record against Afghanistan.

EWGG7NT.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday SA would have been out of WC on losing 1st match in their 7 games.

Today Bangladesh can qualify for Semifinal on winning 1 match in Super 8
:kp

Bangladesh has an upper hand on World Cups.. lets see if they can retain this record against Afghanistan.

EWGG7NT.jpeg
Wow Head to head Afghanistan is ahead of Bangladesh .

I don't know about that.

They had face only once in T20 world cup so this is not a any psychological edge .

Wow Head to head Afghanistan is ahead of Bangladesh .

I don't know about that.

They had face only once in T20 world cup so this is not a any psychological edge .
Some of the clashes might have happened when they were in their formative years.

Back