Asia Cup 2023: Super 4: Pakistan vs Sri Lanka | 14 September | Colombo | Pakistan innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

daytrader

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Make it or break it moment for Pakistan.

Back in the 2022 edition of the Asia Cup, which was played in the T20 format, it was Pakistan and Sri Lanka who combined to knock India out of contention for a spot in the final. Fast forward to 2023 and it's the same two sides who will now face off in a virtual semifinal for a berth in the summit clash to play against the Rohit Sharma-led team. Sri Lanka, whose 13-match winning streak was snapped by India, look a lot more settled compared to Pakistan who have been hit by a spate of injuries.

While all the other sides who are in the Super 4 stage have posted a 300-plus total at least once in this competition, Sri Lanka are the only team to have not done so. But with so much variety in their bowling attack, they have managed to tie down the other teams and have now bowled out oppositions for 14 games in a row. Be it batting or bowling, different players have put their hands up and come to Sri Lanka's aid, with Dunith Wellalage being the latest in the list - although his brilliant all-round performance against India went in vain.

Pakistan, meanwhile, have been hamstrung by injuries to their key pacers Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah, who are being monitored by their medical staff but may not play a further role in this Asia Cup. Shaheen Afridi too injured his finger but it didn't seem to be a major worry as he came out to bat against India. He will now have to play a key role with the ball and hit the straps straightaway if Pakistan are to gain a position of strength. Pakistan's batting was a let-down in their previous game as they were bundled out for 128 to lose by a mammoth 228-run margin. Babar Azam will look to lead by example but he will expect some support from the rest of the top order which has blown hot and cold.

IMG-20230914-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230914-WA0001.jpg

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Knowing Pakistan they will most likely choke once again and denying us the opportunity of a Blockbuster India Pakistan final. SL will have conditions and crowd behind them while Pakistan are still licking their wounds from the Indian match. Very difficult situation for Pakistan today.

Please Pakistan, lose it. I don't want to lose to Pakistan in final again.
2017 remember what happened. India won the first game then we squashed them in the second game. Games between us can be unpredictable. Yes india are favourites but remember we always over perform as underdogs.

Also good selection this time given injuries to naseem.

Interested to see how zaman khan performs.

Imad wasim should be given a chance too.

Some comments from former Pak players:

Ramiz Raja

“Babar should not just follow a straight line and decide against making changes in the line-up. The team management and Babar need to realise their love affair with Fakhar is not beneficial for the team as he is not in form at all.”

Younis Khan

“Their body language indicated they had accepted defeat from the start and they didn’t play well at all as a team"

“(Mohammad) Rizwan should bat where the team needs him (to), not where he wants to bat,”

Shahid Afridi

“What is (being) seen is that against India when he (Shaheen) didn’t get a early breakthrough he got frustrated and angry at himself"

“He always does this when he can’t get early wickets. The thing is that in international cricket his main focus should be on line and length when they are in right spot the wickets will come automatically.”

“He has a lot of cricket ahead of him and he has to plan out his career properly"

“You win or lose, that is not a problem but it is your approach which everyone watches closely. Pakistan’s approach was all wrong,”

Moin Khan

“This would mean another chance in the final to settle the score line with India, so we have to give our best against Sri Lanka which is a dangerous side despite missing their main bowlers"

“With rain forecast for the match, the right decision has to be made at the toss. I would go for a bat second so that you know what the situation is and what target you are chasing to get into the final,”

Some comments from former Pak players:

Ramiz Raja

“Babar should not just follow a straight line and decide against making changes in the line-up. The team management and Babar need to realise their love affair with Fakhar is not beneficial for the team as he is not in form at all.”

Younis Khan

“Their body language indicated they had accepted defeat from the start and they didn’t play well at all as a team"

“(Mohammad) Rizwan should bat where the team needs him (to), not where he wants to bat,”

Shahid Afridi

“What is (being) seen is that against India when he (Shaheen) didn’t get a early breakthrough he got frustrated and angry at himself"

“He always does this when he can’t get early wickets. The thing is that in international cricket his main focus should be on line and length when they are in right spot the wickets will come automatically.”

“He has a lot of cricket ahead of him and he has to plan out his career properly"

“You win or lose, that is not a problem but it is your approach which everyone watches closely. Pakistan’s approach was all wrong,”

Moin Khan

“This would mean another chance in the final to settle the score line with India, so we have to give our best against Sri Lanka which is a dangerous side despite missing their main bowlers"

“With rain forecast for the match, the right decision has to be made at the toss. I would go for a bat second so that you know what the situation is and what target you are chasing to get into the final,”
I despise the way that old players talk about the current team. They never managed to beat India in a World Cup - something our current squad did. They never managed to make it to #1 in ODIs.

Good news regarding weather just gonna have some passing shower but we will get a game today

A knockout game, want Pakistan to win for a blockbuster Indo-Pak final.

No disrespect to the islanders who always punch above their weight, and they keep unearthing so many young talents, like the impressive Wellalage.

But please, Asia Cup has never seen an Indo-Pak final which must be one of the most puzzling stats in cricket. 15 editions till now in what is essentially a tri-series (Bangladesh did well in a few editions post 2010), but these two great rivals have never met in the final. Strange.

Should there had been a reserve day for this game too?

Seems PCB missed out on this.

Surely if we win the toss then batting first is the way to go. Then again our players are not the smartest or most intelligent out there. If Muhammad Haris is in the squad then he has to play. Give Usama Mir a try in place of the terrible Shadab if it spins. Mere moo mein khaak but I gotta bad feeling about this one dosto!:(

I despise the way that old players talk about the current team. They never managed to beat India in a World Cup - something our current squad did. They never managed to make it to #1 in ODIs.
Oh that old chestnut. So no-one is allowed to criticise?

Outside the World Cup we used to thrash india - the asia cup is outside the World Cup.

And even in the World Cup matches we lost in the 90s it wasn’t such an absolute men v boys thrashing that we took the other day.

As afridi said - you can win or lose, but it’s the approach. Which frankly was pathetic

I agree with that team apart from how haris and rizwan are playing pathetic. Should have been haris opening with Abdullah and rizwan rested

Surely if we win the toss then batting first is the way to go. Then again our players are not the smartest or most intelligent out there. If Muhammad Haris is in the squad then he has to play. Give Usama Mir a try in place of the terrible Shadab if it spins. Mere moo mein khaak but I gotta bad feeling about this one dosto!:(
Seems like you are not updated at all lol. They have announced the playing eleven already.

And with rain around the obvious decision is to bowl first, but that did backfire against India, dekhte hain kya banta hai.

The first 10 overs or so are very important if Pak bat first. India got to 80 runs in no time and that helped them win the match in the end. It get’s difficult to bat as the match progresses so full advantage of first PP needs to be taken.

Just heard a report from SL, they expect a full match, a passing shower might halt the game a bit. But Allah knows best.

I wouldnt be too sure.

Weather forecasts in Colombo seem to be changing by the hour

Outside the World Cup we used to thrash india - the asia cup is outside the World Cup.

And even in the World Cup matches we lost in the 90s it wasn’t such an absolute men v boys thrashing that we took the other day.

As afridi said - you can win or lose, but it’s the approach. Which frankly was pathetic
Check India - Pakistan Asia Cup record before spreading fake new. Pakistan won most of game in 90 vs India but only in bilateral series like kitly,hero Honda cup ,

Seems like you are not updated at all lol. They have announced the playing eleven already.

And with rain around the obvious decision is to bowl first, but that did backfire against India, dekhte hain kya banta hai.
Bowl first? Sri Lanka get about 250 then it rains leaving our lot twiddling their thumbs. With the rain threat it is always wiser to have runs on the board. Then again wisdom and Pak players are not compatible to each other. Run's on the board gives us a psychological advantage. I don't know what our team is for today.

Problem now for BA

1. Bowl first because of rain considerations
2. Just do the right thing based on a full game

Please Pakistan, lose it. I don't want to lose to Pakistan in final again.
theres no chance of Pak defeating India in final this time.. Two of our frontline fast bowlers are umfit..Fats bowling is our only strength and we are without it….so there goes any hope of Pak defeating India.. Pak batsman cant play spin/kuldeep and Pak spinners have forgotten to take wickets and are runs leaking machine..

What two Pak front line bowlers are injured?. If so just give India the trophy now then pull out of the WC. With the main event around the corner they are already clutching on the their knee's and leg's :facepalm: .

In our 14 appearances at the Asia Cup, we have only won twice and been runner up 3 times - one of which was the most recent addition.

I am all for criticism, I have a lot of criticism for this team as well. But the level of analysis our old players give to the media seems incredibly lazy and weak. They say the same thing every time. If these were such easy to fix mistakes and problems why were they not able to fix it when they were playing?

In our 14 appearances at the Asia Cup, we have only won twice and been runner up 3 times - one of which was the most recent addition.

I am all for criticism, I have a lot of criticism for this team as well. But the level of analysis our old players give to the media seems incredibly lazy and weak. They say the same thing every time. If these were such easy to fix mistakes and problems why were they not able to fix it when they were playing?
They were right to pick glaring mistakes though, like Fakhar looking horrible out of form yet Pakistan continue to play him, Faheem is never going to take wickets yet you play him ahead of Wasim J, Saud is good player of spin but he was sitting out, Rizwan should be batting at 5.

Haris Rauf and Naseem are HUGE blows. Even if they had a bad game, it was a special attack.

Wasim, Zaman are capable bowlers but it's just not the same.

Even if we reach final from here on, the damage is done and our carefully crystallized team has lost teeth in a big way.

Ramiz Raja

What about the love affair with Rizwan?

This is why I hate hypocrite Ramiz Raja!

I find it weird how people say babar is technically the most solid batsmen in Pakistan lol 😂😂.

He is not, his footwork against spin is non existent hence the reason saud and Abdullah played jaysuria like a pro but babar was his bunny in test.

Ironically even imam is more compact then babar. Babar is a solid player though. Probably has the best timing, temperament and game awareness put of anyone in the team. It's a shame he's limited in actually striking and purposely slows down for his personal milestones.

Ramiz Raja

What about the love affair with Rizwan?

This is why I hate hypocrite Ramiz Raja!
Tbf, on the surface rizwan has been performing averagely against medicore teams by atat padding his 40's to 50's against teams like Nepal, giving the illusion that he's an inform asset for Pakistan whereas fakhar is failing against even these minnows.

So the surface these commentators and casual fans don't really pick up upon these problems like we do.

I am not very interested in this current pakistani team as it is very very average and worst than 2019 team. Middle order is almost non existent. Only way to win is if babar stays and score a century or shaheen or naseem takes some early wickets. Harris is extremely overrated as well as top order batsmen and middle order

I find it weird how people say babar is technically the most solid batsmen in Pakistan lol 😂😂.

He is not, his footwork against spin is non existent hence the reason saud and Abdullah played jaysuria like a pro but babar was his bunny in test.

Ironically even imam is more compact then babar. Babar is a solid player though. Probably has the best timing, temperament and game awareness put of anyone in the team. It's a shame he's limited in actually striking and purposely slows down for his personal milestones.
His technique against pace is unmatched. He is a very good player off the backfoot and is better equipped to handle swing and bounce than anyone in Pakistan. Yeah, his spin game is not the best but Abdullah Shafique was also getting trapped by SLA's easily until the recent SL series.

Saud plays spin the best. Decisive footwork.

This is all for tests only.

Oh shoot! Are Rauf and Naseem not playing today? Someone tell me.

Tbf, on the surface rizwan has been performing averagely against medicore teams by atat padding his 40's to 50's against teams like Nepal, giving the illusion that he's an inform asset for Pakistan whereas fakhar is failing against even these minnows.

So the surface these commentators and casual fans don't really pick up upon these problems like we do.
Well yes and no

Ramiz is an agenda analyst, just like Tanvir Ahmed. Not once will you ever hear them say a bad word about Rizwan, but they will go hard at everyone else.

Well yes and no

Ramiz is an agenda analyst, just like Tanvir Ahmed. Not once will you ever hear them say a bad word about Rizwan, but they will go hard at everyone else.
Fair enough

His technique against pace is unmatched. He is a very good player off the backfoot and is better equipped to handle swing and bounce than anyone in Pakistan. Yeah, his spin game is not the best but Abdullah Shafique was also getting trapped by SLA's easily until the recent SL series.

Saud plays spin the best. Decisive footwork.

This is all for tests only.
Abdullah got trapped due to lack of formz confidence and timing issues which were ironed out later.

Babar is amazing against pace and medium in the middle overs and death overs, yes he is unmatched. He's a horrible new ball player lol.

I have low expectations with zaman as he is only t20 bowler. Havent done anything to be called in for ODI.

I am sure the Lankans are going to prepare a rank turner .So win the toss , bat first and try to get 250 should be the strategy for Pakistan

Well yes and no

Ramiz actually was more a fan of Babar than Rizwan, he wanted him to be a brand for Pakistan and also was against changing him as a captain Rizwan has been excellent in his first reason for selection and has also contributed well with his second skill batting, so as yet does not merit any criticism. Haris or unfit Azam Khan will not do much better consecutively.

At least we should get a reduced game. Only have ourselves to blame if the whole day is washed out. Hard luck.

On cricinfo it says covers are on and it's only a light drizzle. My worry is that it's extremely dark with dark clouds in the air.

It should be a washout so that the management and great captain babar can learn a lesson of how to rotate players against weak teams in order to get best lineup ready for main tournament like worldcup. Now if this match is a washout then big question will be on the playing xi for the world cup opening match

We might see a reduced overs game. Hoping to see a complete match though but looks like opposite.

14:15 Local Time, 08:45 GMT, 14:15 IST: The entire stadium has been covered. Yes, it's currently raining.

It isn't raining but just because they think it could rain as clouds are above and since the drainage is crap they continue to keep covers on. What is this nonsense.

Won't be surprised if this is a SL attempt to waste time and help their team qualify for the Finals.

2.20pm: The ground is completely covered as things stand, and the toss has been delayed. It is not raining at the moment, just a slight mizzle if any.

Whole ground covered for some mizzle. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back