Australia v England | 2nd Ashes Test | Adelaide | Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does 2-0 close this series down completely, or can England still escape with a tie?

Perth would by the key in that scenario, there wont be a draw there so england would either be back in the contest or the ashes will be done by the end of the WACA test.

But yeah if they did win at perth i think they would feel they have a decent shot of getting a drawn series.

Last edited:
I wouldn't actually put a win at Perth beyond us now. In a bizarre way. It would be typical of an English team to get tanked in the opening games and then suddenly strike back against the odds.

I won't count on Cook in Perth. He might frustrate Aus here in Adelaide in 2nd innings though.
Bell is looking good at the moment and a KP special in Perth might put things back on track for England.

I wouldn't actually put a win at Perth beyond us now. In a bizarre way. It would be typical of an English team to get tanked in the opening games and then suddenly strike back against the odds.

Eng has never come back in Ashes after being down by two tests. One tests down would have been a different scenario. Eng will have to create history to overcome this.

For that to happen , Eng has to bat well in second inning here. Otherwise it will be very difficult to suddenly perform in 3rd test on bouncy pitch considering that whole team is not able to face Johnson on slower pitches.

Last edited:
Would be funny after all the pre series talk if the aussies won at adelaide and england won at the WACA.

Certainly not impossible our batting lineup is still very dodgy and relies on a few players, we collapsed in a heap at perth last year so we aren't unbeatable there.

Last edited:
England are shot, I really can't even see them even winning 1 game.

Australia will probably win 3-0 or 4-0.

I think it's a long series but at the same time my feeling is that the Ashes are gone. It has that air to it. We haven't even competed really. Only Broad, Bell, Carberry and Monty are currently in some marginal state of credit.

IMO Clarke has turned a 100% chance of an Aussie victory into a 90% chance. There could be rain or somebody could do an Atherton.

Or someone could do a Bravo because of tired bowlers.

Would be funny after all the pre series talk if the aussies won at adelaide and england won at the WACA.

Certainly not impossible our batting lineup is still very dodgy and relies on a few players, we collapsed in a heap at perth last year so we aren't unbeatable there.

Yah, I am not sold on Aus batting. Only 2-3 guys are performing and team can collapse easily but still Eng also needs to bat well to have any chance.

Monty took a 5fer at the WACA. He gets bounce. Let's have an attack of Anderson, Broad, Finn and Monty for Perth.

Stranger things have happened, but from what I've seen so far in the series the England team really struggle against pace and more importantly bounce. It's vertical not lateral movement that is really doing their heads in. At the WACA Jonno will bowl a fuller length and that will still bounce up to throat high, same with Harris and Sid. On the plus side Broad will be more threatening as well.

Monty took a 5fer at the WACA. He gets bounce. Let's have an attack of Anderson, Broad, Finn and Monty for Perth.

Actually new fellow was bowling faster than Anderson and Broad. I will also have him with Monty & Finn.

No Swann? Big call and very unlikely

I can't deny what's in front of me. Swann has no answers at the moment. No doubt in my mind who the better bowler is on current form. Monty has waited a long time and put in a really hard shift here. The figures are unkind to him.

Yah, I am not sold on Aus batting. Only 2-3 guys are performing and team can collapse easily but still Eng also needs to bat well to have any chance.

I think there are still a lot of question marks over the batting. Players who needed to use this batting practice to get themselves into form were Rogers, Twatson and Smith. Rogers and Twatto will be kicking themselves, well Rogers got a decent ball but Twatson will be disappointed with himself and looking at his kicked-dog face he gets whenever he does something stupid says it all. As for Smiffy he is still in, he won't score a ton but a half ton would restore some confidence. Those 3 spots are (or should be) still up for grabs but I don't think Twatto will EVER be dropped even if he gets 5 ducks in a row. Though to be fair nobody is making a compelling case for selection to replace any of them.

I can't deny what's in front of me. Swann has no answers at the moment. No doubt in my mind who the better bowler is on current form. Monty has waited a long time and put in a really hard shift here. The figures are unkind to him.

Yea Swann's been dismal. 4 wickets @ 397 at an average of 99 and an economy rate of 4 and a S/R of 147. They have really attacked him.

I think there are still a lot of question marks over the batting. Players who needed to use this batting practice to get themselves into form were Rogers, Twatson and Smith. Rogers and Twatto will be kicking themselves, well Rogers got a decent ball but Twatson will be disappointed with himself and looking at his kicked-dog face he gets whenever he does something stupid says it all. As for Smiffy he is still in, he won't score a ton but a half ton would restore some confidence. Those 3 spots are (or should be) still up for grabs but I don't think Twatto will EVER be dropped even if he gets 5 ducks in a row. Though to be fair nobody is making a compelling case for selection to replace any of them.

Agree 100% on the batting its been built on individual performances rather then scores from individiuals. Watson, Smith and Bailey havent convinced much and all will have to prove themselves for long term places in the side. I guess aslong as team is winning such player failures will just be ignored. Going forward the Aussies will need to build a top 6 unit somehow, the bowling will always keep Aussies competative.

As far as game is concerened i guess a lead of 600 and a warner 100 will be the target before trying to crush england completely. Another massive hammering here and mentally i think england will be well and truely destroyed.

Yea Swann's been dismal. 4 wickets @ 397 at an average of 99 and an economy rate of 4 and a S/R of 147. They have really attacked him.

I think, Aus would have gone after even Monty if he was playing as a lead spinner. I don't think that Monty would have done much better in the first test. It was a great idea to not allow Swann to bowl well. That forced fast bowlers to bowl more and get tired.

At start of the ashes i thought the Aussies were desperate when they picked MJ as ive never rated him as a bowler and thought he would cause the Aussie skipper more problems then he would england, how wrong ive been. Hes been simply awesome and like a wrecking ball and he will be even more brutal i guess in perth!

If england do lose here they might as well go for broke and unleash both tremlett and Finn at the Aussies in perth, england might as well go down fighting and fight fire with fire!

The problem with England appears more mental than anything.

One can sense that the batsman lack confidence. Giving credit where its due- MJ has been superb, and Harris, Siddle have provided good support.

If england do lose here they might as well go for broke and unleash both tremlett and Finn at the Aussies in perth, england might as well go down fighting and fight fire with fire!

unleash Tremlett ? he was bowling 128-132 kmph in 1st Test .

Best bowling combo in Perth would be Anderson, Barbie , Finn , Monty & Stokes .

Drop Anderson for Perth and bring him back for Melb/Syd

You keep having unch for the entire series mate.

How far is Cummins from playing again?

Tests?

3-4 years minimum in my opinion.

Won't even play shield this summer but might play some big bash

as soon as warner gets his century aus should declare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back