Australia v South Africa | 3rd Test - Day 5 | SCG | 7/1/08

Steyn fighting hard.

18 overs remaining and rain in the air. Can Saffers survive ?

Outstanding determination from Ntini. Regardless of the result South Africans have shown why they deserve no.1 Test spot in this Test by showing doggedness despite odds were heavily stacked against them.

Theres still 1.5 hours of play left, and only 16 overs. Will they keep bowling after they've bowled the minimum ? Or is the game over?

Jamal said:
Theres still 1.5 hours of play left, and only 16 overs. Will they keep bowling after they've bowled the minimum ? Or is the game over?

I think they can bowl . It depends on the light though i guess.

IronMan2009 said:
I think they can bowl . It depends on the light though i guess.

Can't South Africa just walk off? I think Smithy will come out to bat now, seeing as though they're so close.

Jamal said:
Close of play is at 5.30pm which is some 45 minutes away. Still I think Saffers will need rain to save them as batting out another 16 overs isn't going to be easy.

genghis81 said:
Close of play is at 5.30pm which is some 45 minutes away. Still I think Saffers will need rain to save them as batting out another 16 overs isn't going to be easy.

The current partnership has batted 13 overs, and I know it's difficult but not impossible for them to stick it out...on cricinfo, yesterday the coach of SA said that Smith might come out if 2-3 runs are required to win or 2 to 3 overs to grind it out for a draw..

SA has fought really well and shown determination, hats off to them for the effort!

Last edited:
IronMan2009 said:
Coupld of dodgy calls stole any opportunity they had to save the match.

The Saffers aren't sooking about it. And the umpiring has hurt and helped both teams.

They shouldn't have opened with Morkel. He would have been more handy down the order.

Jamal said:

Interesting that we are above the required minimum overs.

Different bowlers or change of captaincy plans?

Although I have a feeling that this partnership will be broken in the second last over of the day, just imagine the stand remains unbroken (as a thought experiment).

Wouldn't it be the last nail in the coffin of Aussie confidence?

Momo said:
Although I have a feeling that this partnership will be broken in the second last over of the day, just imagine the stand remains unbroken (as a thought experiment).

Wouldn't it be the last nail in the coffin of Aussie confidence?

Then Smith might come out to bat if there are only 2 overs left, however, I agree that would just kill the confidence of Aussies that the last 2 batsman could survive all their bowling attack for about 26 overs :))

Momo said:

Wouldn't it be the last nail in the coffin of Aussie confidence?[/QUOTE]

Yes

checkers.llvllaster said:
The current partnership has batted 13 overs, and I know it's difficult but not impossible for them to stick it out...on cricinfo, yesterday the coach of SA said that Smith might come out if 2-3 runs are required to win or 2 to 3 overs to grind it out for a draw..

SA has fought really well and shown determination, hats off to them for the effort!
No duobt it is a great acheivement from this pair so far, but just from reading cricinfo it seems like they are having a few play and misses to go with some fortunate strokes. But the main thing I guess is that they are still there and that the aussies are once again are struggling to finish a team off.

IronMan2009 said:
Siddle has finally stepped up in the bowling department for Australia to support MJ in an otherwise mediocre bowling line up.

"Finally" stepped up in his fourth Test?

Siddle 4 Tests, Bollinger 1 Test, Horrorwitz 4 Tests, McDonald 1 Test.

Good to see this "mediocre crew" of Test newbies dominating a Test against the top side in the world.

genghis81 said:
No duobt it is a great acheivement from this pair so far, but just from reading cricinfo it seems like they are having a few play and misses to go with some fortunate strokes. But the main thing I guess is that they are still there and that the aussies are once again are struggling to finish a team off.

They are playing quiet good. To play on this pitch you need more than luck. One ball just rolled on the pitch.

genghis81 said:

Yup, they have tried all of their bowlers, sledging etc, but nothing has worked.

On that note, only 10 more overs to go..Punter better choose his bowlers for the next 10 overs carefully!

Random Aussie said:
"Finally" stepped up in his fourth Test?

Siddle 4 Tests, Bollinger 1 Test, Horrorwitz 4 Tests, McDonald 1 Test.

Good to see this "mediocre crew" of Test newbies dominating a Test against the top side in the world.

Dominating? :))) :))) :)))

Random Aussie said:

You can spin anyway you want. Lot of things had to go wrong for South Africa for that so called domination. What i have been witnessing the last 1 hour is anything but domination.

IronMan2009 said:
They are playing quiet good. To play on this pitch you need more than luck. One ball just rolled on the pitch.
This kind of a delivery is called a gheesi. In the earliest cricket I played (as a kid), any wicket taken on a gheesi was deemed null and void.

Go Ntini :)

Ntini mocking the bowlers of the worlds greatest ever cricket team.....go Makaya

IronMan2009 said:
You can spin anyway you want. Lot of things had to go wrong for South Africa for that so called domination. What i have been witnessing the last 1 hour is anything but domination.

Your bias is amusing in it's transparency. As evidenced by the other thread.

Lots of things went wrong for Australia in this series in order for South Africa to win it too.....

Random Aussie said:
Which side can win this match?

Vast difference between the words "winning" and "dominating" the match...and SA had a lot of things not on their side, Smith only being one of the problems..

Random Aussie said:
Your bias is amusing in it's transparency. As evidenced by the other thread.

Lots of things went wrong for Australia in this series in order for South Africa to win it too.....

it is not bias. If Aussies were in this situation i would have said the same thing about Aussies. I would like to what went wrong? Australia won 3 tosses in a row.

Vast difference between the words "winning" and "dominating" the match...and SA had a lot of things not on their side, Smith only being one of the problems..

Yawn you talk smack as always.

A lot of things have gone wrong for Australia in this series you know....but they don't matter. As soon as Aus go well it is because the Saffers have bad luck. Same old useless argument.

Random Aussie said:
Yawn you talk smack as always.

A lot of things have gone wrong for Australia in this series you know....but they don't matter. As soon as Aus go well it is because the Saffers have bad luck. Same old useless argument.

RA don't do personal attacks, talk constructively with arguments...

IronMan2009 said:
it is not bias. If Aussies were in this situation i would have said the same thing about Aussies. I would like to what went wrong? Australia won 3 tosses in a row.

No point discussing with you.

OUT!!!!! We win!!!!!

Dammit - out comes Smith :pissed:

RA don't do personal attacks, talk constructively with arguments...

I am not personally attacking you I am characterising your arguments and argument style :D as being reminiscent of smack.

Random Aussie said:
I am not personally attacking you I am characterising your arguments and argument style :D as being reminiscent of smack.

It's ok I can understand the frustration :D

Match proving to be a nail biter, who says tests are boring?

Smith immediately takes his hand off of the bat. It is going t be horrible next over for him against one of the pacer.

If Afridi is beast...then Smith is baap of all beasts.....i salute u

This is absolute thriller. SA could have still saved this test if only they opened with Amla instead of Morkel.

Really gripping stuff this.

I still think Australia will pull off somehow. Ntini is not that reliable for long periods. This is an exception.

Even Smith will have problem protecting his wicket with his injury. He is bit late in his shots.

Siddle is dangerous against tail. So Smith should protect Ntini. That only increases the probability.

Extreme pressure situation. So Aussies are still overwhelming favorites to clinch this.

Smith takes 2 runs.

I wonder, what's the point of taking 2 runs, the worst thing you want is a run out at this point!

111.4 Siddle to Smith, 2 runs, sees width and reaches out, steering wide of backward point

I wonder, what's the point of taking 2 runs, the worst thing you want is a run out at this point!

Ian Chappal just explained it...

Smith takes 2 runs.

Exactly.. if the idea is just to hold onto one end. what is the point.

Back