Australia v South Africa | 3rd Test - Day 5 | SCG | 7/1/08

On_the_up

ODI Debutant
Runs
The equation is simple, S Africa need to score another 314 runs with effectively 8 wkts remaining to dethrone Australia as the number one team in the test ranking for the first time since they were introduced. Will this turn out to be the watershed moment for the South Africans or will Australia manage to keep them at bay.

Last edited:
I would have backed SA to get this if Smith was there.

His injury has ruled him out for sure hasnt it?

empty stadium. Worse than WC 2007. McKenzie out ct at gully off Bollinger
SA 68-2 - target 376

And Amla with another from Bollinger.

Would be a shame for him to leave without a significant score, Amla has been very important to the Saffer's victory in this series.

with kallsi goes the hopes of saving the game you'd think. Oh well...with S.A losing Smith and having the worst of the conditions we always were up against it this game.

McDonald proving a handy relief bowler, a couple of wickets and keeping it tight

saffer said:
with kallsi goes the hopes of saving the game you'd think. Oh well...with S.A losing Smith and having the worst of the conditions we always were up against it this game.

Why give up hope so early...there is still AB, Amla still going on, you have Boucher and Duminy to come...and tail enders have provided to be useful all series.

lol

35.3 McDonald to Kallis, OUT, oh well held, McDonald .. or not? Pitches it up down the stumps, Kallis goes back and starts to turn it to the on side, but the ball takes a leading edge and balloons back up in the air towards the bowler, who flings himself to his right in his follow through and looks like he's taken a stunner ... his team-mates converge but Kallis asks for confirmation, and McDonald admits he's not sure. To the naked eye it looked like he took it, Ponting sticks up a finger even before the umpires are consulted, and after numerous analysis Kallis is adjudged out. Thats a very, very tough call. One angle indicates he took it, the straight view says something else. I'm not convinced he took it.
JH Kallis c & b McDonald 4 (25m 13b 0x4 0x6) SR: 30.76

Ponting back to normal.

saffer said:

^^ No need to be down dude. What the saffers accomplished this series is remarkable. Hats off to the team.

Hamara Amla will save the test Inshallah. He is playing beautifully.

buddhika_s said:
lol

35.3 McDonald to Kallis, OUT, oh well held, McDonald .. or not? Pitches it up down the stumps, Kallis goes back and starts to turn it to the on side, but the ball takes a leading edge and balloons back up in the air towards the bowler, who flings himself to his right in his follow through and looks like he's taken a stunner ... his team-mates converge but Kallis asks for confirmation, and McDonald admits he's not sure. To the naked eye it looked like he took it, Ponting sticks up a finger even before the umpires are consulted, and after numerous analysis Kallis is adjudged out. Thats a very, very tough call. One angle indicates he took it, the straight view says something else. I'm not convinced he took it.
JH Kallis c & b McDonald 4 (25m 13b 0x4 0x6) SR: 30.76

Ponting back to normal.

He learned well from the master.

[utube]eoc_RqY6yws[/utube]

Watching Mcdonald bowl really sickens me. Its terrible to see the standards the Aussies have fallen to. Il be damned if Pakistan ever had to really on a Mcdonald type 4rth seamer.

SAffies falling apart

Amla gone - bat/pad off some spinner who I dont recognise

Horrorwitz gets Amla!

4/110 (effectively 5)

Amla has a bad case of wasting his starts.

umpire raises his hand. Maybe needs to go pee pee
SA 124-4 - need 252 more

Last edited:
SA 4/156 Duminy & ABDV batting well. Although Horrorwitz is bowling and has to be taken off soon.

Saffers still in with a shot here. I hope it doesnt meander into a draw though.

I heard Smithy will be coming in to bat if situation required. What will happen to rankings if this ends in draw. SA will still be able to take the crown?

IronMan2009 said:
I heard Smithy will be coming in to bat if situation required. What will happen to rankings if this ends in draw. SA will still be able to take the crown?

Smithy will not be able to hold a bat. I've broken my little finger, and it completely debilitates your entire hand. Mine was a bit worse for me cause I was a dominant bottom hand player, and I broke my little finger on my bottom hand :afridi
If he comes out to bat, he is an absolute beast.

More and more I look at Duminy more and more he looks a carbon copy of Ganguly only with a better technique...

Random Aussie said:
Just copying the great Tendulkar circa Sri Lankan series

Only in Sachin's case the dude was plumb LBW, along with Sachin watching the LBW on TV but in Pontings case........

Come on Ponting, Horrorwitz has bowled a 19 over spell. You have 5 bowlers and you overbowl the worst one.

Warnie would rip up on this track. Game is all but over, Boucher is gone now aswell.

IronMan2009 said:

I heard they will be taping the bat to his hand and he will wave the bat around like Wolverine waves his claws!

It could become a cliffhanger. SA doesn't actually deserve to lose this Test due to the absence of their no.1 batsman. Hope they manage a draw. But 37 overs 3 wickets to go. Very very difficult.

If we can get rid of AB I reckon we'll be just about home.

Siddle has finally stepped up in the bowling department for Australia to support MJ in an otherwise mediocre bowling line up.

I'd say this match wont last more than 10 overs after lunch.

IronMan2009 said:
Some consolation win for Australia. then.

Sure is, Ponting has lead a team of newbies and useless players to beat the number one team in the world. You have to admit he has pulled off one of the greatest test victories ever.

Fish said:
Sure is, Ponting has lead a team of newbies and useless players to beat the number one team in the world. You have to admit he has pulled off one of the greatest test victories ever.

on a dodgy pitch with thier best batsman out injured...this victory wud be a farce.. :po:

When you play with defensive mentality even normal strokes will desert you. But Harris has no choice.

dry_ground_1.jpg

Sydney pitch :p

Fish said:

Not really he could have pulled of a victory in the first two test matches but he didnt. The Aussies choked and collapsed under pressure. You know the thing about dead rubbers, there is no more pressure, the worst part is already over and there is nothing to lose any more.

The South Africans have been the better team in this series and have deserved their victory. This dead rubber irrespective of the result doesnt really mean anything.

Savak said:
Not really he could have pulled of a victory in the first two test matches but he didnt. The Aussies choked and collapsed under pressure. You know the thing about dead rubbers, there is no more pressure, the worst part is already over and there is nothing to lose any more.

The South Africans have been the better team in this series and have deserved their victory. This dead rubber irrespective of the result doesnt really mean anything.

Ah yes :))

Has SA won this match it would have been a great win. Australia win and it is dead rubber. South Africa only had the motivation of number 1 ranking and being the first team since who knows when to whitewash Australia at home. But yeah means nothing because Australia are going to win.

With a rookie bowling attack will beat the best team in the world.

Last edited:
But the match is not over yet. Or has the fat lady sung?

Pointing finally showing some attacking captaincy. Too bad it came too late for him.

McBoom said:
Pointing finally showing some attacking captaincy. Too bad it came too late for him.

He can afford to when the opposition started playing for draw right after they lost their captain. Pitch is terrible.

Tough luck Saffers. They deserved not to lose if not win considering the fact everything went wrong for them in this match right from the Toss.

Smith better not walk out. This is too dangerous. Siddle had to say something nasty to Steyn after hitting him.

Back