Australia vs India | 1st Test | Melbourne | Boxing day

Status
Not open for further replies.
jackal786 said:
India should have gone with Pathan in place of Bhajji who cannot take wickets to save his life. Batting atleast would have been stronger.

yea, why do they keep on selecting this bhajji? Irfan would have got atleast one wicket. :po:

For all those writing India off....please refer to today's scorecard......I vehmently hate the egos within Indian cricket but, there is no denying the talent and determination in their ranks to win a series in Australia, so well done India for a fablous comeback.

Well Bhajji decisions has gone against the Indains!

On other note excellent come back from the Indians, didn't expect this from them! I still think India will be out for under 250 tomarrow!

I still think this is a decent enough total for Australia. Let's go Lee and company!

siimo said:
These hapless Indian bowlers will be smashed to all parts of the ground just as I had predicted. What will be end of the day score. Indians will be lucky to pick up a wicket but I think it will be something like 0-375.

:21:

"Kumble is just a bad wicket bowler.MoYo rightly said".
He will be exposed on Australian pitches.
He got free wickets-aussies threw it away.he is plain lucky.
This wont happen again in the series.

Good to see some exciting Test cricket for once! After the 15 days of mostly tortuous dross I've just watched in Sri Lanka, I was beginning to think that the format was regressing back to the scoring rates and general unevenfulness common in the 70's.

Very funny reading through this thread, especially the first 2 and 1/2 pages.

Advantage 60-40 to India. If we finish the Aussie innings quickly tomorrow, we can win this one.

Good come back and discipline by India - all now depends on how their batters apply and if they could muster a lead of some sort, otherwise don't expect anothe middle order collapse from aussies

Well i cudnt catch any live action coz by the time i woke up the first days play was over... but I dont think Aussies have done too bad here. Sure they could have been in a better position and ended the day at at something like 360-5 but even a total of 350 would be very competitive here, given the pace attack Aus has.

siimo said:
These hapless Indian bowlers will be smashed to all parts of the ground just as I had predicted. What will be end of the day score. Indians will be lucky to pick up a wicket but I think it will be something like 0-375.

Nice prediction mate.

India will take that on a good batting pitch after a poor start at 0-135.

We made a great start but then the middle order just collapsed

Ponting only making 4 runs :(

None of the batsmen were given out wrongly by the umpires.
There was no uneven bounce, ball keeping low/shooters.
there was no assistance to spinners like they got on Indian dust bowls.

Jaques,Ponting,Hussey,Lee were removed by smart piece of bowling.
Field settings and line of attack pressurised Symonds and Gilly to succumb to attacking strokes.

at least for a change, the indian bowlers can be given some credit.
hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Rajan said:
"Kumble is just a bad wicket bowler.MoYo rightly said".
He will be exposed on Australian pitches.
He got free wickets-aussies threw it away.he is plain lucky.
This wont happen again in the series.

Moyo is also a snake who changes his opinions like I change my UNDERWEAR :19:

Awesome comeback by India.No surprise really as they are the only team to have challenged Aus in the past. Some Pak fans must be disappointed :p

PlanetPakistan said:
come on buddy it is only day 1- enjoy the game!

I'll watch it only when Indian batsmen score some runs. Till then I have no stomach to see gloating Aussie faces. :D

Great show by bowlers to restrict score to 350.

lol, anyone read how Hayden is insisting the pitch is very difficult to bat on? Looks like he's trying to scare Indians. If openers can give a good start it really will be game on!

Mate, I will take his word over a spectator. He knows what he is talking about as he fully realises the situation.

wow! never expected such a performance on Day 1 at MCG.

Over to Batsman....I think we can handle Lee & Clark......major worry is Johnson......he's been troubling the Indian batsman ever since he arrived......I just hope we are clever against him.

Well played both teams :19: ! Great Innings by Hayden and an excellent fightback by Indian team :19: . They were bit unlucky though, few catches dropped and fielding blips meant couple of run-outs were missed.

Hey guys I couldn’t watch the first day, so how's the pitch exactly. Hayden's been saying that it's quite difficult to bat on but I sense that's just mind-games. Does it look like day 2/3 will be easy to bat on before the spinners come into play, or will it have something in it for the bowlers throughout?

Mohsin_Pak786 said:
Hey guys I couldn’t watch the first day, so how's the pitch exactly. Hayden's been saying that it's quite difficult to bat on but I sense that's just mind-games. Does it look like day 2/3 will be easy to bat on before the spinners come into play, or will it have something in it for the bowlers throughout?

there is nuthing in the pitch for bowlers ......ozs shud have got 600 here without much effort .......we might see some turn , though not before the 4th day !

Considering the under-preparedness of Indian side and also the fact they take on the bullies in their own backyard on day 1 of First test, India has done well to make themselves proud.

I would have taken 337 for 9 at the start of the day. But Hayden is talking plaing BS. He is doing two things, covering up for his teammates and also trying to put some doubts into Indian minds. this pitch is such a beauty to bat on. Balls move early on not prodigiously though as these are not regular duke balls that India played with in England. Kookaburra does swing but nothing compared to Duke balls. So early part will be slightly difficult. Swinging balls at 150 kph. If India survives 1 session with a loss of just 1 wicket then i can say GAME ON.

Indians have been poor starters abroad as cricinfo stat has mentioned. For a change they have a half-decent start against the best team in the world.

IMHO the Aussies just started being a bit too aggressive. If they had taken the time to settle in 600 would have been within reach on this track. But thecredit goes to Kumble. Good bowling from the captain but IDK what has happened to Harbhjan over the past few years he has gone down rather then improve. Lets see what the Indian batsman can do.

excellent fightback boys! We're in this game and it's a golden opportunity to bat through the day tomorrow

With 9 Oz wickets in kitty, first day was almost ours. We need to show the same grit for next four days as well! Important day tomorrow for both the teams. It might set the tone for entire series...

Hey guys I couldn’t watch the first day, so how's the pitch exactly. Hayden's been saying that it's quite difficult to bat on but I sense that's just mind-games.
In the first hour it was hard to bat on. There was enough movement and Aus was probably lucky not to have lost a wicket or two. Zaheer Khan especially was bowling well. I think that is what Hayden meant and was probably talking about the first hour or the first session. The day belonged to India

Looks like there will be a result this match.

It's imperative that India gets a lead of 100+
But even more imperative is to get Hayden's wkt before he can singlehandedly take care of any lead, assuming we get a lead...

I seem to be hallucinating about leads... :))

Last edited:
I would say 400-425 is a par score on this pitch so the Aussies are likely to be 50-60 runs short. IND certainly have the potential and the conditions to score 450+ and really make AUS struggle.

Mohsin_Pak786 said:

Almost perfect for batting. Absolutely no seam movement and hardly any spin for Kumble or Harbhajan.

Last edited:
I hardly see any Pakistani fans posting in this thread. LOL. Are they waiting for india to have a bad day? I saw some in the first 2 pages while Hayden and Jaques were doing well.

phoenix-suns said:
I hardly see any Pakistani fans posting in this thread. LOL. Are they waiting for india to have a bad day? I saw some in the first 2 pages while Hayden and Jaques were doing well.
...and how many times did you post when Jaques and Hayden were doing well? :13:

I have not got a chance to post throughout the game. But I saw some indians like jack, indiafan, etc., responding to the posts while Hayden and jaques were playing.

If india collapse today, I bet atleast 10 pages will added to this thread in few hrs.

Day 2 - players on the field. stadium looks pretty empty
Zaheer bowling to Johnson

Last edited:
players on the field. Dravid and Jaffer to open. Lee to bowl to Wasim Jaffer

My commentary volume is very low so can't hear much.
First ball gets to Gilchrist after a bounce

Perfect length by Lee. Im guessing he will trouble the Indians with his extra pace. Would have been nice to see Tait on the other end.

12thMan said:
Clark ct at long leg by Harbhajan off Zaheer
Aus 343 all out

Pretty impressive by India to remove the last wicket fairly early. Their batsmen must have the confidence of passing that, hopefully, by a hundred and more.

Thanks Maratha! Great link buddy.

But why does the score for India read 0/2? I almost jumped. Shouldn't it be 2/0

Dhonifan said:
Thanks Maratha! Great link buddy.

But why does the score for India read 0/2? I almost jumped. Shouldn't it be 2/0

Ur Welcome bro!!

LOL..I was a bit shocked myself...but calmed down after going to cricinfo.

btw, where is coach Kirsten? No quotes from him at all in the media, not even a picture with the team arriving in Aus. In Chappell's time it was all coach and no one else.

Hayden said it was tough batting out there, hence 'interlude' between score of 2-0 to 4-0.

CricketBuff said:
Why are the batsmen terrified, not scoring any runs !!!

just making sure no wkts are lost for first 10 overs. Plenty of time to score later. Besides the bowling is accurate and fast, can be dangerous to go after it so early.

couple of fours and a six should have been hit already otherwise the batsman should be called back to show team aggresivness and sportsmanship

Jaques drop a catch at 3rd??? slip. It was low to the right. Dravid survives

12thMan said:
couple of fours and a six should have been hit already otherwise the batsman should be called back to show team aggresivness and sportsmanship

good one. :)))

India 1 down for 4. Jaffer out. The lack of scoring was bound to bite India in the backside. Dravid still looking for his first run too

Jaffer was totally decieved by the slower one.. good ball.. On pitches like this slower ball is more effective.

Hopefully Laxman will show his magic.

And yes...as other Indian and Pakistani posters have mentioned before, the pitch and bowling attack will now really test India's batting lineup.

Last edited:
Credit to Lee. He didn't change his action. He just held the ball with his fingers.. brilliant piece of bowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back