Australia vs New Zealand | 1st Test | Brisbane | Dec 1st-5th

Word in the papers today is our bowling attack will be Siddle, Pattinson, Lyon and Starc. Cutting 12th man.

Therefore

Hughes
Warner
Usman
Grumpy old man
Clarke
Hussey
Complete tool and hack and waste of air
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon
Starc

Long tail, considering it starts at 7.

Weather is usually dicey up there this time of year but it will no doubt be a seaming, swinging green top today.

NZ are paying $6 for the win. Where's that white bloke from the Caribbean? Get on them!

Whoa. What is up with Australia's bowling? What happened to Hilfenhaus, Bollinger and Hauritz?

I doubt NZ will even come close unless they bat first and score big.

Black cats are gonna get steamrolled. Let's hope the Gabba offers a bit to the pacemen after last year's pancake.

Starc? One of the worst bowlers I've seen and I don't know why he is debuting. Hilfenhaus a much better option. The team I would have gone for would have been:

Warner, Hughes, Usman, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin, Siddle, Lyon, Bollinger & Hilfenhaus.

Interesting I want ponting and khwaja to shine and my usual fav Clarke should.

Good old Brisbane. I think this is where England scored 500+ for 2. lol

Ross Taylor is the key for NZ, he needs to score big for the Kiwi's to have any chance of a win.

Khawaja looked very good in South Africa. He has a great chance to get his maiden ton here.

It's that time of year to hear the channel 9 Aussie commies + Tony Greig. :)

Whoa. What is up with Australia's bowling? What happened to Hilfenhaus, Bollinger and Hauritz?

Hilf wasn't considered, doesn't make the batsman play enough.

Bollinger is not fit enough for longer cricket and is injured anyway.

Hauritz was discarded rightfully for being crap.

And Starc is debuting purely and simply because he is a left armer. He would be no chance if he was a right armer.

Hilfun could move it both ways, a mistake to drop him imo. Siddle is a good workhorse but lacks a bit of skill.

I really want Aus to continue their form after beating South Africa so they are at peak when India come. :)

Hilfenhaus is a horses for courses bowler. Give him a seaming wicket with overcast conditions and then we're talking quality swing bowling. Anything else and he's not that effective as he isn't express, he's heavily reliant on swing.

This Aus bowling line up looks good though without Ben.

I think regardless of which Aussie side you toss out there black caps are not mentally strong enough to overcome them, too many scars. Although I expect Vettori to put up a good show.

I want to see young prodigy Kane Williamson establish himself as a bright upcoming talent by smoking a century with some of his trademark "bubble-gum" shots! Still expect the Aussies to pull this one and improve their batting form.

I'm backing the Aussies, time to smash the hobbits before they move on to the bigger fish.

The Pattinson family makes a rare slice of history today. James and his brother Darren, who represented England, will become the first siblings to play Test cricket for different nations in 112 years - disregarding Akmal family jokes, that is.

Cricinfo. :)))

nz win toss bat first. warner, starc and pattinson debut. cutting doesnt make the cut :p

I think this series will be pretty competative and close with aussies missing so many chances. Plain and simple kiwis need to put decent totals on board and force pressure on Aussie batting.

If wickets a green seamer as expected then this could make for a 3/4 day test match!

Should watch this for 4 hours and then start with Pakistan a bit late I have to work at night (ghar say kam karnay ke faiday :D)

Australia: 1 David Warner, 2 Phillip Hughes, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Peter Siddle, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Mitchell Starc, 11 Nathan Lyon

New Zealand: 1 Martin Guptill, 2 Brendon McCullum, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Ross Taylor (capt), 5 Jesse Ryder, 6 Dean Brownlie, 7 Daniel Vettori, 8 Reece Young (wk), 9 Doug Bracewell, 10 Tim Southee, 11 Chris Martin

The toss has been won by New Zealand and they will bat. We will soon see the debutant fast bowlers in action. And if they have a good day, who knows, we may be fortunate enough to see Chris Martin bat today ...

ANyone know how Josh Hazlewood has progressed from his U-19 days?

Pretty well. He is still considered the most promising of our young quicks (until Cummins came out of nowhere). Cracked it for an ODI tour not long ago but had back stress fractures.

Is back bowling and starting to take some wickets in first class so will be in contention before too long. He is our best young quick who hasn't debuted yet, can move the ball appreciably at pace.

Don scored 18 and 1 on his first match on this date.

Hilfenhaus is a horses for courses bowler. Give him a seaming wicket with overcast conditions and then we're talking quality swing bowling. Anything else and he's not that effective as he isn't express, he's heavily reliant on swing.

This Aus bowling line up looks good though without Ben.

Hilf looked to be a decent bowler but he was just terrible in the Ashes and that has pretty much marked his cards. He does get picked for A games so he is in the selectors minds but has yet to do anything in them to demand selection.

I like Hilfy but seems he just isn't quite good enough for Test level unless the conditions favour him.

Anyone know of a location of an HD stream?

Here to support Aleem and Asad our 2 umpires

(as well as Usman)

RA your boys better smash the hobbits. I don't support Aus often but it looks like it's going to be atleast three series on the trot with India playing you guys next.

Hilfy is them kind of bowlers who look good. Bowls nice out swingers at 140k+ but does not pick enough wickets.

Pretty well. He is still considered the most promising of our young quicks (until Cummins came out of nowhere). Cracked it for an ODI tour not long ago but had back stress fractures.

Is back bowling and starting to take some wickets in first class so will be in contention before too long. He is our best young quick who hasn't debuted yet, can move the ball appreciably at pace.

That's good to hear. International cricket really need some good bowers, especially quickies.

Dale Steyn is the lone wolf at the moment.

do we have any 150+ Ks fast bowler in aussie line ?

RA your boys better smash the hobbits. I don't support Aus often but it looks like it's going to be atleast three series on the trot with India playing you guys next.

Why not root for the Kiwis? Love the underdog story.

You just GOT to love cricket coverage from Australia!

Not the usual commentators or atmosphere one is used to being a Pakistan supporter. And the matches are during night :D (for Europeans)

Going to watch a few overs before going to bed.

AMAIZING to see a full packed stadium on the 1st day of a test match :)

The Hobbits are going to win this. Starc/Pattinson are both crap, everything is on Siddle :asif

Live cricket at 1am :yk

Ashes was worth it, think I'll pass this time.

Why not root for the Kiwis? Love the underdog story.

When the hell have they ever been the favourites? they got thrashed by Bangladesh of all teams. Have you heard the crap they come out with so so arrogant for such a pathetic team and listening to their guys in the com box is cringeworthy.

Salam to the awam ;-)

Good attacking start from NZ, excellent crowd and ground.

What more, Australia givng debut to 3 players :O

Back