Cricketing Universities

Gone

Local Club Star
Runs
Hey i am looking to go to uni next year and looking for a place where they have very good sports facilities esp. cricket.

Any one got any recommendations?

Loughborough university is the best of the best in the UK, it is the centre of national sport in the UK with world class facilities for every sport. The ECB National Cricket performance centre is based on campus and it is pretty tough to get in to the teams as the the uni is affiliated to the MCC which means the first three teams are all first class cricketers, the trials for the MCC team are open to anyone however you must apply months in advance before arriving at the uni and they last over two weeks, apart from that there are 4 other teams which are sought of university teams which you can also trial for these are also highly competetive (i spoke an west indian bloke the other day who was planning to trial for the uni team and he is a first class cricketer played for barbados or one of the islands alongside kemar roach in the WI, he had so much pace when i was practicing in the outdoor nets with him he was just taking 3 strides in his run up and generating so much pace!) and then if you don't make the university team you basically go in to the development squad which means you get to train in indoor nets at the ecb national indoor circket nets performance centre on the weekends for only a cost of £40 for the whole year! that offer is only for people that participate in the trial for uni team and there is always qualified staff around to see if they missed someone out and also give tips and stuff etc, my trial is tommorow don't really think i will make it, but i just want to train in the ecb indoor nets for a year and maybe next year really give it a go. But yeah in the UK loughborough uni is the best of the best for cricket its where all the england boys train. Also the the uni is not only known for sports but also its academic success the sport just overshadows it, the uni is always ranked consistently in the top 10 in the UK every year, so its worth it to study and you have the cricket to :)

Last edited:
^ could not have said it better. Loughborough is an awesome uni. Best 4 years of my life.

Other good cricketing universities are Durham, Oxford inc Oxford brookes, Cambridge, Leeds and Cardiff.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response guys, last year i went to lufbra uni and found the facilities awesome, i didnt get into lufbra though :( I really wanted to go there but i guess dont have the grades :p

Shaz thats amazing to think about training in some top class facilities. And what happened to your trails? Any good news?

Thanks for the response guys, last year i went to lufbra uni and found the facilities awesome, i didnt get into lufbra though :( I really wanted to go there but i guess dont have the grades :p

Shaz thats amazing to think about training in some top class facilities. And what happened to your trails? Any good news?

Unlucky buddy!!! What other universities have u applied at ?

This year i am applying to Sheffield Hallam, Bradford (which is MCCU, and the reason i am applying here). Looking for 3 more to apply to.

This year i am applying to Sheffield Hallam, Bradford (which is MCCU, and the reason i am applying here). Looking for 3 more to apply to.

Cardiff, Oxford Brookes, Leeds. All 3 are part of the MCCU set up.

As mentioned by the posters there are quiet a few MCC unis out there you should see if you can get in to them but offcourse you would want the uni to be decent at the same time. I got through the first phase of the trials and received a call back trial but then missed out.

I was trialing as a leg-spinner and another leggy just edged ahead of me as he could also bat, the one thing i can't do is bowl leg-breaks as am more of a leg-break googly bowler and also bowl sliders and top spinners. I think that if i had the one that moves away from the right-hander i would have made it, i will need to work on it in the nets.

Overall i was very happy with the way i bowled on the day it was as if mushtaq ahmed had possed me haha (especially considering how my variations don't seem to come out in the nets these days) and was surprised to receive a call back trial, but to make it even on the uni team at lufbra you have to be pretty damn good! But also politics definently do come in to play when it comes to selection, as some of the guys that were struggling against my bowling got through, i think some of the students new the selection team.....:farhat

Back