England reach 120/0 at stumps after bowling India out for 78 on Day 1 of the 3rd Test at Headingley

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHb2wOmPQwqzPB7ixPMq_Wicket%20%2834%29.jpg

There is a morning session in every test match in England and Anderson has bowled many times and this extremely high level of seam movement. Unless the usual excuse if bad weather is rolled out, this pitch has been prepared specifically for the touring side.

It’s a standard English wicket. Sunny, Vishy, Vengsarker, SRT etc. would be able to get hundreds on it. Modern Indian batters lack the skill-set.

This is 7th lowest score in test cricket after a team chose to bat first.

When I faced him in a club game he felt 90mph to me and his brother who seemed even quicker.

Yes his brother Jamie Overton is much quicker, he can go upwards of 90mph and he can also bat a bit like Overton. I think injuries have impacted his road to Eng national team till now.

If you have faced Craig in last year or so than he would have been pushing it at 85mph and sometimes more. He averages 81 to 84 mph but, now can go upwards when he pushes it. He has really added a yard of pace I think and thats why he is now in radar for other formats as well (Played ODI series against Pak), he was in Abbas' category before that.

Last edited:
I just had the feeling this is going to be one of those 60 all out matches. It doesn't matter if we had picked a different XI. We would have collapsed anyway.

I saw a cricviz stat a few days back. Contrary to popular perceptions, India actually had one of the best averages against the swinging ball. But against seam movement, Indian batsmen had a terrible average. India didn't struggle in the first two tests because wickets in the first two tests didn't have as much demons, the conditions were tricky because the ball was swinging around but the pitch itself was placid and there was no major seam movement off the pitch.

The minute I knew the wicket was going to be on the moister side reading Dobell's tweet yesterday, I knew we were going to collapse because we just struggle as a batting line up on seaming wickets. Even in the last series, we did reasonably well even when the ball was swinging around at Nottingham, but on a similar seaming wicket at Lords, our team collapsed to 100. The conditions weren't as difficult today as it was at Lords in 2018, but our batting still collapsed. Until the batsmen stop driving at balls outside off stump like it was Azad Maidan in Mumbai, they aren't going to stop collapsing. All England needs to do is to prepare tacky wickets by watering it slightly more than normal, ensuring that it isn't dry and India will struggle in the remaining tests too. They should have done this from the first test tbh.

Why Kohli chose to bat first?

He didn’t do his homework or was overconfident.

Pakistan made the same mistake, so have many other teams at this venue.

Always bowl first at Headingly, always. The stats back this fact up.

Ishant, rather than Bumrah taking the new ball.

Bumrah will come in from other end. I would have started with Bumrah though but, I think because of Ishant's success against Left handers they went with him as Burns was taking the strike.

India are a very good Test team.

But they are not a great Test team and performances like these are not acceptable because it shows your shortcomings when conditions don’t favour you.

Pakistan got to 180 at the same ground a few years ago batting first in very similar tough conditions because the tail started to play their shots.

Don’t know what the Indian team management was thinking but the strategy of survival was a very wrong one.

The difference is that your tail is a hundred times better than our tail.

This was the drawback of picking 4 seamers. What happened last match was a fluke when Bumrah and Shami had the match of their lives with the bat, I always said that was not going to happen always. No matter how good your quicks are, you never pick 4 number XIs in your team.

You are a visionary.

Been watching this team collapse too long on seaming wickets. They just can't play the seaming ball because they poke at everything outside the off stump. You need incredible discipline to bat in these conditions.

We're on the way to a almighty towelling.....hope we fight and make it a bit pretty....but we're so far back....cant even see the way forwrd....

It’s a standard English wicket. Sunny, Vishy, Vengsarker, SRT etc. would be able to get hundreds on it. Modern Indian batters lack the skill-set.

Right. Let's just ignore that last 15 years' data has shown that when seam movement is 0.8 degrees and above, barring averages drop off a cliff. And the first hour had 1.2 degrees of seam movement.

1-1 at the end of this match, Please please let this be the end of Pujara's career and also Kohli's captaincy...

Indian batting making Imran Butts 37 the other day look like Viv Richards !!

Disgraceful performance from Indian batsman.

Pujara and Rahane must be banned from test cricket for two year for this performance and Kohli should be sacked from captaincy.

36 all-out and 78 all-out reveals the situation of the current Indian batting lineup.

I feel an 80 run lead will END India here and they wont be able to come back and win the series... This has to be worst Indian batting middle order I have seen ever..

haseeb hameed is going to make a cagey 50/100 which will push start his career, he is much better than we have seen on the international stage, ive seen him live a few times on the county circuit his technique looks as good as any batsmen going

haseeb hameed is going to make a cagey 50/100 which will push start his career, he is much better than we have seen on the international stage, ive seen him live a few times on the county circuit his technique looks as good as any batsmen going

He does look like an upgrade over the deadbat sibley

This match is pretty much done and dusted on the first day with that incredible collapse. If India are to have any chance of coming into the match, they would do well to have a look at how the Aussie pacers bowled after getting bowled out for 180 in the same venue two years back.

You need to pitch it up the most in Headingley but unfortunately all our pacers bowl back off length which doesn't bode well for this wicket.

Kohli loves to play test cricket as per old adage which says that all teams to bat first if they win the toss. However, the problem for him is that he or his batsmen aren't good enough to imitate the old-timers.

India are a very good Test team.

But they are not a great Test team and performances like these are not acceptable because it shows your shortcomings when conditions don’t favour you.

Pakistan got to 180 at the same ground a few years ago batting first in very similar tough conditions because the tail started to play their shots.

Don’t know what the Indian team management was thinking but the strategy of survival was a very wrong one.

Conditions were not alike but far more difficult leg break bowling at 83mph in that Pakistan test

Day 1: Tea Break - England trail by 57 runs

ENG 21/0 (7) CRR: 3

He didn’t do his homework or was overconfident.

Pakistan made the same mistake, so have many other teams at this venue.

Always bowl first at Headingly, always. The stats back this fact up.

What stats?

Don’t bat first under clear blue skies?

Jimmy just bowled one of those spells that only he can bowl.

This is one of those typical :jimmy 3fers that are worth more than a 6fer.

Game is far from over.

India should bowl their heart out this upcoming session :vk

Yes his brother Jamie Overton is much quicker, he can go upwards of 90mph and he can also bat a bit like Overton. I think injuries have impacted his road to Eng national team till now.

If you have faced Craig in last year or so than he would have been pushing it at 85mph and sometimes more. He averages 81 to 84 mph but, now can go upwards when he pushes it. He has really added a yard of pace I think and thats why he is now in radar for other formats as well (Played ODI series against Pak), he was in Abbas' category before that.

Yes Craig is more English condition bowler though

I have egg on my face after today....

Edit: having said that, Saqib is a far superior bowler. This is not to say Overton is bad but if they want a young, quick, hungry fast bowler then they should be playing Saqib now, not waiting till he's 30.

If England gets 300 + .. the match will be over in 3 days with another Indian collapse ..

Well this is a bit of a turn up for the books.

What stats?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Huge hour for England! 3 big wickets. Brave call from India to bat first, it’s the best Day 1 ground to bowl at in the country IMO. Pitch will get better & better. Won’t be much in it for the seamers from Day 3 onwards- enough in it now!</p>— Stuart Broad (@StuartBroad8) <a href="https://twitter.com/StuartBroad8/status/1430484902672220171?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd imagine Broad knows a fair bit about the ground having bowled in a lot of tests at the Headingley and being the most successful bowler at the venue.

The one good thing after getting bowled out for 36 is that getting bowled out for 78 doesn't feel too bad anymore. It's a bit like, atleast it wasn't 36..

For how much longer will commentators refer to Virat Kohli in Test cricket as ‘the big wicket’ or ‘a huge wicket’? His performances have left him not deserving of the moniker.

He seems to particularly blow against England — and then even more so against England in England. Just never seems to score anymore.

For me, the big Indian wickets to take in Test cricket now are Rohit Sharma and Risabh Pant.

What stats?

Doesn’t matter.

The ball swings and seams at Headingly on the first day and first session and 9 times out of 10 you are 4/5 wickets down before lunch.

You always bowl first, unless it’s the hottest day of the year at Leeds. Even then I would consider bowling first.

Wow cant believe how bad the Indian batting was... ENG openers look very comfortable at the crease..

I like the hameed guy

Looks very compact with his technique and his follow through after defending is delightful

Why hasn't Jadeja bowled yet? The English openers are hoovering up India's measly total. No pressure on them from the quicks.

Both openers set now , England need to grind the bowling from here onwards , lots and lots of time left in the game.

Doesn’t matter.

The ball swings and seams at Headingly on the first day and first session and 9 times out of 10 you are 4/5 wickets down before lunch.

You always bowl first, unless it’s the hottest day of the year at Leeds. Even then I would consider bowling first.

This is an easy track compared to the old days when Headingley had variable bounce as well as seam movement.

All new balls swing and seam in the mornings in all English tests. Good opening batmen like Gavaskar can cope. They get through the morning session then cash in. India don’t have anyone like that.

For how much longer will commentators refer to Virat Kohli in Test cricket as ‘the big wicket’ or ‘a huge wicket’? His performances have left him not deserving of the moniker.

He seems to particularly blow against England — and then even more so against England in England. Just never seems to score anymore.

For me, the big Indian wickets to take in Test cricket now are Rohit Sharma and Risabh Pant.

I agree with you - in my view Kholi as a test batsman is done.

India and Kohli with an egg to the face moment. This is what happens when you hype yourself to the moon.

We know he can do it in England, remembering the 2018 tour. He could be mentally tired. He might benefit from taking a few months off.

England should bat india out of this game.

Should post a big total here.

This match is done and dusted for India.

Basically it’s now 20 wickets of England vs 10 wickets of India. Really difficult tbh

We know he can do it in England, remembering the 2018 tour. He could be mentally tired. He might benefit from taking a few months off.

Mentally tired? Who asked him to play those useless pyjama league matches? See this is what I have been saying for so long if Kohli wants to finish his test career on a high then he should keep himself away from IPL for next couple of years. :inti

I kept saying before the match to drop Pujara for Ashwin.... Ashwin and Jadeja would have kept India in the game, ahh well, hopefully Kohli's captaincy ends after a series loss and Pujara's career ends after this match..

Today reminded me of India's tour of Aus in late 90s. Basically, Aus used to smash the opposition out of the game on first day and then it was just a matter of time before you lose by an innings.

Horror day for India.

Scores level 10 wickets in hand for England.

Baby Boikz continues to look good.

When was the last time England were 78-0?

How come the Indian pacers are ineffective? Has the pitch eased up?

Both England openers have been superb today!

India's bowling has looked one dimensional

Both England openers have been superb today!

India's bowling has looked one dimensional

Blazing sun so no swing, and seam movement mostly gone as any morning damp evaporates. Perfect batting conditions.

I don't think the pitch did that much in the morning..certainly not a 70 odd AO wicket.
Indians snd in particular Rohit, batted far too defensively.
It was a really strange innings

Blazing sun so no swing, and seam movement mostly gone as any morning damp evaporates. Perfect batting conditions.

It was highlighted how much the English bowlers pitch it up this morning.
The Indian pacers have been a yard or so too short

Not just the sub continent batsmen but bowlers too have to adjust on pitches with extra bounce. Reason why India and Pak win matches at Lords is because the conditions on offer are closest to sub continent. We have seen english batsmen leaving the ball on length today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back