England v Australia | 3rd Test | Edgbaston | 30 Jul-3 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Aussie

Senior Test Player
Runs
England lead 1-0.

The tip is for a draw because the weather is inclement. And neither side can really bowl the other out in any quick time (Flintoff heroics aside).

Australia have dropped Phillip Hughes for Shane Watson. The man everybody loves to hate is not certain to open but is certain to a) sledge the bloody Poms who have been getting a bit lippy of late and b) get injured at some point during the series. Watson has been in ferocious batting form of late though and unlike Hughes is an excellent player of the short ball.

Word is that we are keeping the same bowling attack. So no Stuart Clark.

The Poms have recalled Ian "Sherminator" Bell who Australia does not rate to replace KP (who we rate very highly).

7 hoursish till match time.

I think they should have presisted with Hughes..I think he was due a good knock..kid to score 2 centuries in a test and that to against SA is special..I think he was due for a big knock..strong come back..oh well lets see what happens..

Can't beleive Stuart Clark wont get picked. And since Lee is looking like making a comeback next game, Clark might not play a single match this entire ashes. All that after he was the leading wicket-taker in the last ashes series.

haha sherminator! good one.

gotta feel for hughes. He'll be back though he's only twenty.

Two questions. 1) when is Phil Jacques back!? 2) why is mike hussey not been put under a fine radar for his form? He has been proven to be a mortal after a sensational start?

Civil said:
haha sherminator! good one.

gotta feel for hughes. He'll be back though he's only twenty.

Two questions. 1) when is Phil Jacques back!? 2) why is mike hussey not been put under a fine radar for his form? He has been proven to be a mortal after a sensational start?

Jacques should be back playing domestic cricket this summer. But the injury to his back remains a concern.

Questions are being asked about Mike Hussey, he needs some runs soon or out the door he will go.

Random Aussie said:
England lead 1-0.

The tip is for a draw because the weather is inclement. And neither side can really bowl the other out in any quick time (Flintoff heroics aside).

Australia have dropped Phillip Hughes for Shane Watson. The man everybody loves to hate is not certain to open but is certain to a) sledge the bloody Poms who have been getting a bit lippy of late and b) get injured at some point during the series. Watson has been in ferocious batting form of late though and unlike Hughes is an excellent player of the short ball.

Word is that we are keeping the same bowling attack. So no Stuart Clark.

The Poms have recalled Ian "Sherminator" Bell who Australia does not rate to replace KP (who we rate very highly).

7 hoursish till match time.

I don't think you can call Ian Bell Sherminator anymore with McDonald in your squad.

Random Aussie said:
Was Shane Warne who dubbed Bell Sherminator.
bell0512_222985a.jpg

I have a feeling that Clark will replace Siddle who will be unlucky. As for opening geez I hope we don't open with Twatson - he could bat at 6. I still remember Twatson's woeful effort opening the innings for Queensland in the Sheffield Shield a few years ago, I think he averaged about 5 in six innings. I reckon Hussey should be promoted to the top, he made his name as an opener after all. Clarke can bat at 4, North at 5 and Twatson at 6, that's probably the best balance.

EDIT: NVM, looks like Clark has missed out again. They're going to give this lot one last shot it seems.

Last edited:
Someone on another website I visit (GreenAndGoldRugby.com) was making a case that MJ hasn't bowled as badly as people would think. He just hasn't bowled as well as he did in SA. Moses did an analysis of MJ and came to the conclusion that statistically he's not doing as bad as the media would have us believe. It's just that he's not doing as well as he did in SA where he was top drawer stuff.

Rather than retype it all, here it is.

[quote author=Moses link=topic=9179.msg44273#msg44273 date=1248845938]
It wasn't until JRod pointed out that Mitchell has better figures than Anderson that I got to thinking a statistical analysis could be insightful on the bowlers in this series to date. I've uploaded my working here if you want to take a look in Excel.

Mitchell Johnson is in terrible form, you can read about it here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and according to google there are 520 more such stories here.

However, when one looks at aggregated bowling figures, Johnson has 8 wickets and is just trailing Hauritz (9) and Hilfenhaus (9) for series honours.

Mithcell's bowling average of 41.38 looks terrible, until you consider the roads prepared to date and observe that he's ranked 5th best in the series, ahead of JM Anderson (42.1), PM Siddle (45.1), GP Swann (56.1), SCJ Broad (64.1), MS Panesar (115.1) and all the part timers.

Johnno's overall economy rate is poor at 4.00, with just Collingwood (4.47) and Onions (4.55) returning inferior resutls. Still, I haven't read too many stories calling for Onions to be chopped.

On paper his bowling to date is more than acceptable, it's impressive. He's taken 8 out of 34 English wickets, namely Strauss, Cook (twice), Bopara, Flintoff, Prior, Broad (on 19) and Anderson (on 29) so there's no 'soft' ones padding his stats, unlike SuperFred.
1.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
10.jpg

Are we asking too much of a guy who's had the 'spearhead' label placed on him after 3 good spells and an injury to Lee? If we're going to drop any bowler for Clark to come in then Siddle should be first in line.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html

Based on the above, it would be interesting to know when MJ conceded his 4rpo - given he was bowling with the new ball it was probably at the start of the England innings when they got off to a flyer at Lords. What the stats won't reveal is that he was initially conceding 6rpo off 11 overs early in the match. That's one of those impacts that is difficult to quantify, because it involves either grabbing or conceding momentum which influences the course of the match. From then on we were always chasing the game and we couldn't get a stop to try and turn things around as we just kept leaking runs.

That's really what's been killing us - the fact that we're leaking runs. Even in Cardiff England posted a score of 425-odd I think, at a decent run rate. We don't have the firepower these days to finish matches off in 3 or 4 days, so when the opposition bats that long it takes a significant chunk of time out for us to bowl them out. Once you have things like rain delays or bad light or other interruptions or things like decisions that go against you then our team finds itself very hard-pressed to force a result (e.g. Cardiff). In the days of Warne and McGrath that wasn't really an issue as if you lost a day to rain you could still force a result or if you had bad decisions go against you, you just got on with it knowing that the bowling attack would create more chances anyway.

The outfield's looking good. I reckon play will start on time - as long as they brought their speedos.

106527.2.jpg

England will already be thinking about a draw and with a tiring and injured group, going all out for the win in test 4, knowing a 2-0 cushion would regain the Ashes.

Watson in for Hughes. So north or Hussey likely to open.

I recon hauritz should be left out and Stu clark should get a recall.

With all the rain about any chance of a postive result or even 5 days clear play?

Amjid Javed said:
With all the rain about any chance of a postive result or even 5 days clear play?

Even when there is some play, the pitch is apparently a bowlers graveyard. The groundsman has blamed the weather for not being able to prepare it...all in all i think we're in for a rather frustrating and fairly boring test match here unfortunately.

Rain induced draw here then two road like pitches at Leeds and the Oval should secure the 1-0 Ashes victory for England :)

Amjid Javed said:

Doubt there will be any play today. Edgbaston's drainage is atrocious, and so is England's weather.

OZGOD said:
Doubt there will be any play today. Edgbaston's drainage is atrocious, and so is England's weather.

Cardiff had state of the art drainage - it rained for 60 hours solid last week - rain stopped at about 7am. Play resumed on time at 11am!

Outfield was bone dry. I had to touch it to believe it!

3.35pm - captains on the field news The captains are on the field. Yes, I'm hearing and seeing both captains are out there and Strauss is smiling. Ponting, less a smile, more a grimace, and they're wading through the bog and out to the pitch. They whack a ball into the turf and, err, there's no bounce at all. The ground swallows it and it's clear the ball is absolutely drenched. The puddles, however, have gone and it's sunny and breezy - ideal drying conditions. The verdict? Well, it's in the best shape it has been for two days, that much is obvious, but I can't see there being play for another few hours if at all.

3.45pm - play to start at 5pm - hurrah! Hurrah, huzzah and other joyful words. There'll be another inspection at 4.15pm and the ground will have to improve, but all you millions out there, keep your fingers crossed and we might have some play.

http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/engine/current/match/345972.html

5 pm is one hour 10 min away

Last edited:
I can say that when I woke up this morning I saw sunshine and thought we might start promptly. I went to SL match 3 years ago and it had poured down badly the night before but we started on time. Unfortunately the difference this time was the fact that it also rained today.

It's good here in Birmingham...for the moment.

Come on England :19: . I hope the predictions about the pitch being a graveyard for fast bowlers is false :42:

Start at 5pm.

Watson opening stinks of desperation by the Aussies -

From CricInfo:

When Justin Langer retired, Watson tried opening in the Shield to push his case as a Test opener. In his only six innings opening he made 0, 0, 0, 15, 13 and 0.

Averages 4 as an opener in domestic cricket yet Ricky thinks he can do a job against Freddie and co?

Freddie trying to get under Watson's skin - good duel ahead.

Play started, OZ 0/14, Twatson 9, Krapich 5. Twatson opening the innings, no Stu Clark.

Shlt - Haddin's out of the match. Why?

Twatson cowlashing his way to 15. I hope he doesn't get out geez.

Watson looks so relaxed and confident here - and he's backing it up with his strokes.

A pleasant suprise to me.

0/62. First goal - DO NOT LOSE A WICKET BEFORE STUMPS.

interesting comment at cricinfo:

Steven Lynch of Ask Steve fame usually knows everything. But he's finally been stumped. "Has anyone found a precedent for Test team being changed after the toss? I can't think of one ..."

so looks like he broke or was diagnosed with a suspected broken finger after the toss. The team has to declare the playing XI at the toss

12thMan said:
interesting comment at cricinfo:

Steven Lynch of Ask Steve fame usually knows everything. But he's finally been stumped. "Has anyone found a precedent for Test team being changed after the toss? I can't think of one ..."

so looks like he broke or was diagnosed with a suspected broken finger after the toss. The team has to declare the playing XI at the toss

Apparently Dubya and the OZ team manager had to ask for permission from Strauss and Flower. I'm sure a more hard-arsed captain than Strauss may have said "no, bad luck, play with 10."

Onions getting peeled at the rate of 7rpo at the moment

16.6 Onions to Watson, FOUR, and a really strong pull to follow up, Onions overcorrects and pitches too short, Watson is quickly onto a pull that flies through square leg and beats the man in the deep, this outfield is admirably quick

16.5 Onions to Watson, FOUR, crashing straight drive! Too full from Onions and Watson slammed that into the ground so hard that it sounded like a gunshot, and it was so straight that Aleem Dar had to duck to avoid a blow to the head

16.4 Onions to Watson, no run, super delivery! That's pitching on off, moving away a fraction and luring Watson into a prod, it sails past the outside edge

16.3 Onions to Katich, 1 leg bye, Katich shuffles across, as he likes to do, and works one behind square

16.2 Onions to Katich, FOUR, on the pads and that's a lovely clip through midwicket from Katich, who has been timing the ball nicely, and it just reaches the boundary

16.1 Onions to Katich, no run, nudged away defensively to cover

England have bowled very poorly so far and Aussie batsmen have put the bad balls away!

Twatson's already scored more than twice his Test average with this knock lol. I hope he doesn't do something foolish though, like get injured.

Katich had a brain fart then! didnt even have a look at swann. Ball wasnt there to pull!

Poor effort!

Terrible shot from Krapich, what was he thinking??? We had the advantage until he threw his wicket away. Dubya will be PISSED :po:

Jon Hungin, ESPN's allround production genius and general legend, is in our Bangalore office. Or, to be exact, sat with colleagues, on the floor, drinking rum and following the cricket with the lads from Bangalore. Deena, Jerry, Viju and Raju are living it utterly large. Hello, one and all.

next over

Andrew McGlashan pipes up: "The question is, was Jon Hungin on the floor before or after the rum?"

Last edited:
Watson onto 49* now as Aussies move onto 97/1

England need a wicket or two in last 15 minutes of the day here!

Aus 101/1 - Watson 49* Punter 5*

Wassixpakistani said:
Flat Track? because the aussies are looking as if their playing a One-Day .

Wicket does indeed look good for batting and despite loads rain outfields been pretty quick.

what is going on at cricinfo

One final hello to the backroom staff of Deena, Jerry, Viju and Raju - the unsung heroes of Cricinfo - who are being forced to drink lager with Jon Hungin. Well done everybody

Ponting 17(26) - Watson 62(105)
Australia 126/1 (29.4 ov)

This is the bizzare thing about the UK.

Rains all day - dark & cloudy.

Now its bright and sunny - they will bowl 30 overs and come off, even though they could play on for another 10 overs.

Paying spectatotr never the 1st priority of the authorities.

Close: Day 1

Aus: 126-1 off 30 overs

Close day 1 - Aus 126/1 - Watson 62* Punter 17*

30 overs bowled. Aussies should be happy with the start.

Decent day, what little there was of it. Could've been a good day if that one eyed knobhead Krapich hadn't thrown his wicket away to a dirt tracker like Swann :po:

Excellent start for Australia and the pitch seems extremely flat and they should end up scoring a ton of runs if they don't play rash shots.

Wassixpakistani said:
What speed was Flintoff bowling at :13: ? Anyone.

A lot slower than cardiff/lords - mid 80s with the odd ball at 89/90 mph but I think that was because he didnt have confidence in his run up and follow through - ground still very damp and soft.

Last edited:
pakistani pride said:
Cant believe Harmison is not playing and they keep playong Onions !

Onions read that comment before coming out this morning!

Onions is a great bowler to have in your team stump to stump always chance of a wicket.

Onions getting it to swing both ways - a huge appeal for LBW - turned down.

Aus are 4 down for 168

Seems to be more swing for England bowlers today.

pakistani pride said:
Cant believe Harmison is not playing and they keep playong Onions !

From Cricinfo

Steve Harmison's Test bowling average at Edgbaston. In three matches here he has taken five wickets, and has only once managed more than one wicket in an innings.

On_the_up said:
From Cricinfo

Steve Harmison's Test bowling average at Edgbaston. In three matches here he has taken five wickets, and has only once managed more than one wicket in an innings.

Ye to Sami ka bhi baap nikla :)))

Aus 176/4 - Clarke and North trying to rebuild the inns now.

Poor Onions , Clarke's wicket would have been the prized one............Flintoff you butter fingers

Wassixpakistani said:
Poor Onions , Clarke's wicket would have been the prized one............Flintoff you butter fingers

Freddie's not having a good match so far, seems like he's spent after his efforts at Lords, the decision to retire seems more sensible now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back