England v Australia | 3rd Test | Edgbaston | 30 Jul-3 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia effectively 28-3, with a maximum of 81 overs left. This might be a great day of test cricket.

Imagine England needing around 160 at 4 an over to virtually guarantee the ashes.

Savak said:
I told you the Aussies would have their behinds handed to them by England. They have been made to look very ordinary and mortal by England. If the ashes is lost, Ponting should look for another career.

The man with 38 Test centuries and a Test average of 56.31? Australia's highest ever run scorer at the age of 34? Winner of 3 consecutive World Cups and the second best (statistically) captain of all time?

Another career? :))) :))) :)))

No offence but your beloved :akhtar is a little footnote in cricket history compared to the career of Ricky Ponting - although Ponting is a very hard person to like. :D

The fact is the Australian team is not as strong as it used to be, we had 10 years or more of all time champions coming through and that production line has halted.

And I think we are going to lose this match unless the tailenders show some fight (yet again).

Watson has been good opening, well done to him.

Last edited:
Oh boy, that is a huge moment for England, Hussey looked like he was starting to find some form and could've been the man to bat through the day for Australia. Now they get a look at Marcus North, who is a calm type of batsman, but is only in his fifth Test. Stuart Broad, what a moment.

Broad to Hussey, OUT, massive wicket! Broad does the job and gets a thin outside edge from Hussey, he's just probing outside off and Hussey pushes and manages to find contact with a ball that didn't seam a lot

thats a vital moment...Clark is the key...North is struggling after first test heriocs & Manau is on test debut...

Eng smells Ashes here...

Right, a depressing result for Pakistan yet again...so time to watch the ashes now...Australia 172-4

They lead by 59 runs here

Aus are 172-4

Must have been 2 late wkts before lunch.

Crucial session ahead

This is backs to the wall stuff for North and Pup. There's really nobody else after them.

4/208, North and Pup still hanging on

25 overs to bat till tea, we're hanging in there. If we can add another 70 runs by tea I don't think the Poms will risk losing the Test and giving up their 1-0 lead just to try and chase.

Pup dropped by Strauss

Bopara to Clarke, no run, a slappy pull on the front foot and Strauss has dropped him at short midwicket! Never looked like catching it. Oh double dear

4/220, about 22 overs to go till tea

4/226, North and Pup still hanging on

They need to get a move on, surely they want to declare at tea?

Not sure the final session will be enough time to bowl England out even though it's an elongated one.

Muhammad said:
They need to get a move on, surely they want to declare at tea?

Not sure the final session will be enough time to bowl England out even though it's an elongated one.

I have a feeling we're not planning to declare and win this game (shock gasp horror)

Need to make absolutely sure we don't go 2-0 down first

4/231, North and Pup still hanging on

OZGOD said:
4/231, North and Pup still hanging on

Btw - will the pup nickname remain until he is old and grey and retires..................

4/252, North and Pup still hanging on

If we make it to tea with this run rate we will have a lead of 200 or so. Muhammad raised an interesting (if unrealistic) point - do we then declare and ask them to chase 200 in 30 overs on a last day pitch with a misfiring attack, to try and see if we can somehow change the series equation to 1-1, at the risk of going down 2-0? Keeping in mind that the Poms will not want to go 1-1.

Or do we play it safe, keep batting and batting until we can neither win nor lose the match, guaranteeing a 1-0 series deficit?

I think OZ sides of years gone by might have tried to accomplish the former, but I think we'll end up taking the latter.

Last edited:
4/253, North and Pup still hanging on

4/260, North (54*) and Pup (50*) still hanging on. 12 overs to go till tea

This surely is going to be a draw. England dont look like getting any wickets. Good job by North and Clarke. North seems to be a great find. 5 tests and already 2 hundreds.

4/263, North and Pup still hanging on

Game is drifting towards a draw at the moment. Just a case of Aussies pushing the lead over 200+ mark and eating up time.

4/267, North and Pup still hanging on

We should put the Poms in midway through the final session just for a laugh. Make them bat for 10-15 overs or something.

4/291, North (62*) and Pup (73*) still hanging on

4 overs to go till tea just about

Tea taken a bit earlier than I thought. OZ 4/293, lead by 180, North 64* and Pup 73* managing to hang on so far. Good Englandesque rearguard for the heroic draw.

I guess they should call this off now. There is no point carrying on, unless Australia want both of their batsmen to score hundreds.

4/303, North 66 Pup 81 still hanging on

giri26 said:
I guess they should call this off now. There is no point carrying on, unless Australia want both of their batsmen to score hundreds.

Call it off? We want to declare with 15 overs to go! :D

Hopefully we will take the same confidence out of this "heroic draw" as England did at Cardiff. :p

What a tournament Clarke's having! He's 5th in the test rankings. This series should definitely take him to the top 3.

4/312, lead by 199, 27 overs to go, North 75 Pup 81 hanging on, lets get to 250 lead with 20 overs to go and let them have a crack at it T20 style.

Apparently Pup is averaging over 60 with the bat since he was recalled to the side in 2006 for the Ashes. A year in purgatory helped.

North gone for 96 lol

Poor old North. The crowd stand to applaud a really superb innings from a much underrated player who could be a key cog for Australia in the next few years.

Broad to North, OUT, what a catch from Anderson to deny North a hundred! didn't move his feet, drove uppishly and Anderson at gully took off to his right and clung on with his right hand. What a stunner!

MJ North c Anderson b Broad 96 (159b 15x4 0x6) SR: 60.37

Broad to continue. North on 96. Broad around the wicket
End of over 103 (17 runs) Australia 346/4
MJ Clarke 90* (163b 13x4) RS Bopara 4-0-31-0
MJ North 96* (158b 15x4) SCJ Broad 13-2-30-1

Seventeen from that Bopara over.

Bopara to Clarke, FOUR, flicked to leg and timed wonderfully. Can't believe he's got four for that! Nothing more than a prod off his pads

Bopara to North, 1 run, worked to leg, very late on it

Bopara to North, FOUR, back-cut now for four more past the lone slip. Or gully, rather

Bopara to North, FOUR, North's racing to a hundred here! Fantastic drive through extra cover for four more

Bopara to North, FOUR, jeepers - outstanding shot. Really is a high-class shot off the back foot through long-on. Certainly my shot of the day, and a contender for shot of the Test. This bloke can bat

Bopara to North, no run, swings it in late on North

Bopara to bowl. The 636th England player

Come on Pup, get to your ton so we can declare and send them in.

AMAZING !

Broad hits the stumps (ok glancing blow) and the bails stay on !

Clarke was looking around wondering why he wasn't out cos he heard the stumps being hit

Ali888 said:
AMAZING !

Broad hits the stumps (ok glancing blow) and the bails stay on !

Clarke was looking around wondering why he wasn't out cos he heard the stumps being hit

Yes, after cheering for the Pom Poms from the first Test, God is now on OUR side woot! :p

Clarke caught at slip off Bopara for 96 - off a no ball :)

Well its the Pommies turn to feel the frustration of being unable to force a result. I wish Clarke would hurry up and get his ton though. The Dubya can make an inflammatory declaration with 10 overs to go :D

And he gets his ton. Good knock given the circumstances.

Not the best result for us, but we'll take it given the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back