England v Australia | 3rd Test | Edgbaston | 30 Jul-3 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whippy said:
To have a 1-0 lead after two tests was beyond my wildest dreams, as for being 2-0 up after three tests I'm nearly exploding with excitement at that prospect. Wowwwww. :D

I feel happy for you :) .

OZGOD said:
People will be calling for Dubya to go like they always do when there's a loss. The response is usually more muted than it is in Pakistan or India though. Generally in OZ when a captain is stripped of his captaincy it's the end of his position in the side, because we don't want division in the team when some players support the previous captain and others the new one.

The main reason that people were calling for his head in 2005 was because he made some boneheaded decisions like bowling first at Edgbaston and because at the time there was a clear replacement in Shane Warne.

I guess we understand that our team is in a transitional phase right now and that the young blokes need a bit more experience.

That said, this is the Ashes...

Yeah I know that once the captaincy is going so is the player. I just have the feeling that this could be the end for Ricky if things dont turn around. thanks for your insight.

Oxy said:
Jimmy bowls Manou!

Thats lunch - what a session!!!

7 wkts for about 70 runs this morning!

Jimmy takes 4-4 in 2 overs!

203-8 [Lunch]

i think they are impressed by pakistani batting

Australia were outswung and outplayed.

Australia were outswung and outplayed

A tall man and a redhead walked around the outfield to hand Ben Hilfenhaus a drink and a towel early in England's first innings. Stuart Clark and Andrew McDonald were the delivery men, looking reasonably cheerful considering their side's predicament and their lack of on-field action. Neither bowler can get a game despite the state of Australia's mis-firing attack and the seriousness of the series situation.

In Edgbaston the tourists gambled with their batting but not their bowling, preferring to maintain the combination which did so well in South Africa. Remember South Africa? The selectors still have the postcards on their fridges. The times were so good that none of them bother peering back to a time when Clark was a regular who averaged four wickets a game and had a career economy rate of 2.54. Previously he made a breakthrough every 23 runs. On this trip he dispenses refreshments.

How Australian supporters, if not the selectors, would enjoy having such a dependable bowler running in at Edgbaston. In conditions even a pessimist would describe as favourable, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus were virtually impotent. Most worryingly, they didn't operate in tandem. While Siddle gave away nothing, Hilfenhaus offered too many boundary opportunities, choosing a poor time for a bad afternoon, and Johnson soon became weighed down despite a slight improvement.

All three were excited watching James Anderson and Graham Onions curve the ball around corners, into stumps and on to edges as England detonated their opponents for 263. Seven wickets fell in the opening session, with four the result of significant movement through the air. Batsmen weren't sure whether to play or leave and suffered in their muddled state. Andrew Strauss was rarely confused as he guided England's reply.

Until now the Australians could have argued successfully that England had the best of conditions during the series. At Lord's the visitors had to bat on the cloudy days when the ball arced teasingly, and bowled on the sunny ones when it didn't. On today's form the difference between the teams is skill, local knowledge and self-belief. Both Onions and Anderson had quiet opening Tests, but both forgot their problems and found severe danger.

Australian bowlers are usually into-the-wicket operators, searching for seam movement and variation in bounce instead of swerve in the air. When it comes to swinging the ball they are always behind. It happened here in 2005 and last year in India, when reverse-swing was such a weapon, and now it's occurring with traditional curl. Even Hilfenhaus, the best bowler of the tour and an outswinger by trade, was unthreatening in the gloom that hung around throughout the day.

They have a lot more to talk about with Troy Cooley, the bowling coach, after being out-thought and out-played. Four summers ago Cooley was England's miracle worker and was poached back by his home country, but on this tour he is well behind Otis Gibson, his opposite number.

Having seen Anderson and Onions pitch the ball up, the Australians tried instead to mirror Andrew Flintoff's shorter length and were taken for 116 runs. There is not a lot in the pitch but, as England showed, there is so much in the air. Siddle picked up Alastair Cook in his first over with a ball that was well pitched up, but the method wasn't continued with often enough. The ball is 36 overs old and Ricky Ponting hopes it will start to wobble in the morning. "There will be no excuses," Ponting said, "unless the ball gets wet."

Siddle and Hilfenhaus took the new one, with Johnson relegated to first-change, and they ran in without creating too much discomfort. The Duke ball doesn't usually swing early in England due to its lacquer, but for Australia it didn't curve a lot when it came off. The hosts were well on top when the light became too bad and the tourists had wasted a prime opportunity, just as their batsmen had earlier in the day. The two camps can spend the night pointing figures at each other for their worsening position.

In the field the only bright sign was the improved accuracy of Johnson, although it was still not enough to justify his place after his Lord's horror. With Clark fit and strong, Johnson, out-of-form and weak in spirit, kept his spot and spent most of the afternoon warding off back-slappers who were employed to brighten his mood.

He delivered six overs for 23 and peaked when he hit Ian Bell on the glove with a steepling short ball and had a thoroughly convincing lbw appeal turned down in the next over. "Those things tend to happen when you're going through a bit of a rough trot," Ponting said. "If that decision had gone his way tonight then that might have been exactly what he needed."

Two deliveries after the appeal Bell eased him through cover for four and the following shot was misfielded in the same area, sending Johnson's shoulders southward and his leg kicking out. Johnson had been welcomed by ironic cheers and sung at as "Super Mitchell Johnson", but Ponting was much happier with his performance and outlook.

"He's really taken it upon himself with his body language and his attitude to get that a little bit better," he said. "As a result I think he'll be a bit more confident within himself and that's what he needs right at the moment." However, after a first-ball duck when he offered no shot and was lbw - it was slightly high, but looked terminal before the replays - his steps are currently too small to save his team's Ashes campaign.

Clark helped Australia win in 2006-07, knows these conditions and is immensely reliable. He wouldn't have provided the answer to the lack of swing, but he would have been steady and challenging throughout all of his overs. His selection would have been safe. Australia may be sorry.

Source : Cricinfo

That plumb not given to MJ was the most obvious leg before wicket I have ever seen! How did Rudi miss such a dead straight plumb!

Quite honestly speaking I think the Aus pace attack is quite good if you look at it .They have three 90 Mph bowlers which are Johnson , Siddle and Hilfenhaus . Only Hilfenhaus out of the three can swing the ball consistently while others get swing temporarily.
I really can't make up my mind about who should be dropped among these three if Mcdonald and clark are picked . Johnson impressed me today showing signs of his form coming back , Siddle already delivered them a breakthough with the prized wicket of Cook and Hilfenhaus following that up with Bopara's wicket , MJ was denied a Plumb LBW so bad luck for him . So they really weren't that bad .

I don't think Rudi trusts his eyes anymore. He just listens for noises :D

Kriketer said:
That plumb not given to MJ was the most obvious leg before wicket I have ever seen! How did Rudi miss such a dead straight plumb!

Maybe he's angry about not getting his paycheck .

I may be a bit biased here, but has anyone else noticed that whenever England bowl it seems to be bloody overcast as all get-out to aid their swing, yet when we come on the sun breaks out? Even God's on England's side. :(

Last edited:
Wassixpakistani said:
Maybe he's angry about not getting his paycheck .

Maybe the Indian bookies have got to him............no wait they are in Sri Lanka so it cant be that.

Well if ever there was a time to stand up in the face of adversity this is it. This is their chance to influence history - something every cricketer should live for. Life ain't a box of chocolates. We need to prove we're better than they are because so far they are showing they are better than us.

With rain forecast for the next couple of days this will probably be a draw, but we need to make absolutely sure we can't lose this match. MJ HAS to step up tomorrow and take some wickets, he looked encouraging in his last spell before the rain, at least he was creating chances and bowling tighter. The most frustrating thing about MJ is that he looks DEFEATED out there, obviously the crowd are giving it to him but I hate his hangdog "I'm about to cry" expression when he gets hit around. McGrath and Warne never did that, neither did Merv Hughes or Craig McDermott. MJ may not be as consistent or good (at this stage of his career anyway) than those blokes, but he can at least do something about his body language. He needs to man up and stop acting like a poof when he gets hit around. And for all his aggression Siddle has been a bit of a disappointment on this tour, he needs to rough up some of these Pom Poms, bounce the **** out of them and try and injure them. These ****ers aren't scared of us, we need them to be scared of us. If a shlthound like Bell gets a half ton or ton under cloudy skies tomorrow I will kill myself!!

This is what representing Australia is all about, we don't have it easy any more, this is like going back to the dark days of the 80s when we were getting flogged by the WI and NZ and struggling to win Tests in England. AB led the way out then, Dubya needs to do the same. Don't be anonymous. Be remembered for the right reasons!

GO AUSTRALIA!! Make us proud at least fellas. Don't turn it up.

2.40pm And play has been abandoned for the day
England 116/2 (36.0 ov) - trail by 147 runs

Looks like another life for Bell, given not out by Rudi to a plumb lbw

Warne is going mental LOL :)))

Hawkeye actually says it was going over

Warne having a go at Rudi , going on and on about it

really laying into him

same old Aussies, always whinging

Last edited:
Edgy from Edgbaston given another ridiculous life

Strauss is OUT!

Rudi having a shocker - what a liability he is

Huge appeal - Mitchell thinks he has Bell LBW!

Rudi says 'No'

Nasser Hussain loving it, ripping into Warne

'Two great decisions by Koertzen today' :)))

Have to say Nasser Hussain is growing on me as a commentator, no more captain grumpy, he is very funny

Last edited:
and again another NOT OUT from Rudi! LOL but this was correct, inside edge

Some of you guys may be watching this test from High Definition. The umpire is not wearing High Definition glasses. Although, i heard about High Definition are being marketed nowadays. So, cut some slack for umpires and i am enjoying poor umpiring happening against Australia. They deserve to have same taste like other teams sometimes. :D

Poor umpiring so far.

Last edited:
Fair play to Rudi - he came up with an absolute shocker last night, but he's got two tight calls right this morning.

Not that that's going to cheer any Australians up mind.

Mitchell Johnson hitting his straps might...

Super Mitchell Johnson to give him his full title given to him by .... England fans :D

Johnson is having bad luck. Hilfenhaous on the other hand, continues to bowl some swing and already picked three wickets.

Ashes Inside Track 05 begins now because it is lunch now.

England must be wary. They can be bowled out fairly cheaply. However even if they concede a slight lead- there is every chance that they will roll over Australia in these conditions and create a sniff of victory.

Ali888 said:
Nasser Hussain loving it, ripping into Warne

'Two great decisions by Koertzen today' :)))

Have to say Nasser Hussain is growing on me as a commentator, no more captain grumpy, he is very funny

Oh Nas is class mate!

Johnson gets a wicket! how about that....

Bell gone england now 5 down

Johnson to Bell, OUT, that's out. That's so out. And even Rudi thinks so! Inswinger on middle stump, Bell plays all around it (as he did earlier in the day. And two days ago) and that's out

:)):))

They have to bowl England out before tea if there's a chance of an Australian win imo.
Just no enough time, but in England's case wipe off this lead or concede a very little lead and skittle the Aussies out quickly tomorrow morning and you never know.

Suddenly, there is new change of Johnson bowling. He is actually reversing the ball bit, and little swing with the fine pace consistently. Good to see him so fired up. He is bowling fine along with Hilf.

Shane Watson being taken to the cleaners here and Flintoff looking in dangerous batting form for a change!

England 236-5 now

Flintoff 33(42) - Prior 28(51)
current partnership 68 runs
Eng 236-5 after 69 overs - trail by 27 runs
58 overs left in the day

chakkkkaaaa by Flintoff. moves to 47(51)
last 10 overs 66-1
Eng 263-6 after 72.2 overs - scores are level

Oxy said:
Can Aus lose?

I think that would be more of an accurate description should there be a result.

Sure the ball is swinging, but this match should be draw unless their is a Pakistan like collapse from Australia.

Also depends on what the weather forecast looks like for tomorrow.

Just thinking how many overs are left in the game, about 140 I think (to make up for lost time). There's a bit of an opportunity for England here, if they get a 100+ lead and bowl as well on day 5 as they did on day 2, well...

Good contest going on between Johnson, Broad & Swann - and Eng are winning it!

Great atmosphere at Edgbaston!

348-7

Sarcastic 'Super-Mitch' chanting

Swann is OUT!

Johnson gets him with a slower ball

348-8

Mitchell Johnson & Sturat Broad go FACE-to-FACE , Nose to Nose.

I love it!!!

Except when Pak do it and get fied / suspended and jerks like Tony Greig tell us what savages we are!

However Johnson gets swann out with a slower ball, before anderson...yes thats right james anderson straight drives johnson down the ground for 4!

England 354-8

leading by 91 runs now

40 overs left today - so if England can last 10 overs and get 40 runs (it is tail batting and they will hit a few) then England can be in a good position and can be exciting finish tomorrow. 130 run lead and get 2-3 wickets today which is very possible

Anderson edges hilfenhaus through to the keeper 355-9 now the lead is 92

Benito Hilfenshaus gets Anderson caught behind

355-9 [Lead by 92]

Broad top edges johnson over the keepers head for 4...johnson is enraged, vital runs these for england! Broad swinging hard at every ball here.

I'm hearing so far..

"Are you Scotland in disguise"
"Can we play you every week"

etc..

Tasty lead after it looked like we'd concede a defecit at one point. Once again Flintoff changes the momentum of a test match.

5 wickets tonight please

"Barmy Army ... Barmy Army ... Barmy Army" ... you'd think they'd cheer for England, wouldn't you, not for themselves.

Time for some early spin. Swann from the City end, while the Barmy Army become more raucous and less understandable. It is getting towards evening, after all.

Watson 16(27) - Katich 25(40)
Aus 45-0 after 11 overs - trail by 68 runs

with about 17 overs left today good chance of atleast one more wicket. Looks like 2. Katich out in next 6 overs and then probably Ponting

Pointing needs to play a captain's innings here otherwise Aussies could lose this one.

We need Ponting, Hussey, Clarke and Haddin out by lunch tomorrow to have a chance of winning

HAVE IT!

Ponting out to a gorgeous off spin ball, Swann is the key here

oh no my prediction gone bad.
G Swanni gets Ponting

14.4 Swann to Ponting, no run, ooh that is close! That is seriously close, spinning back on Ponting and rapping him dead in front. Rudi says no. That looked stone dead!

14.5 Swann to Ponting, no run, sharp spin again! Nasty turn for Ponting to contend with here

14.6 Swann to Ponting, OUT, oh what a ball - what a delivery! Tossed up, dragged him forward and sharp spin turns through the gate to hit his stumps! Fantastic over and a brilliant piece of bowling to remove Ponting

RT Ponting b Swann 5 (7b 0x4 0x6) SR: 71.42

Aus 52-2 after 15 overs - trail by 61.

Now I will have to change the collapse order. Hussey to go first

Pointing can't play off spin.

Hussey nearly gets a king pair (golden duck in both innings), Onions has him inside-edging into his pad...

45 minutes left tonight hopefully, another 2 or 3 Aussies in the pavilion? ;)

inzamam ul hass said:
i rekon australia are gonna get bowled out tommorrow with a lead of 150 max and england will chase it down

wouldn't that be brilliant! although we are due a collapse of our own, I hope we don't lose :))

McBoom said:
"11,000 runs without knowing how to play offspin," says George Binoy
- cricinfo
Isn't he a cricinfo guy? For Ponting he has to be settled in before spin attack. It is like Jayawerdene (SL) saying we know Pakistan can stuggle against left arm spinner so we called Herath (who was in UK playing cricket) 1-2 days before the test (when Murali was ruled out)

11 overs left today
Watson 32(49) - M Hussey 4(18) the 4 coming from boundary
Aus 71-2 after 20 overs - trail by 42 runs
should be 98 0vers tomorrow

And Hussey hits 3 fours next over and then takes a single for the single double fans

Last edited:
McBoom said:

To be fair to him it was a pretty decent delivery.

This is backs to the wall Gallipoli stuff now. 25 behind with 2 wickets down to make England bat again with 90 overs to go. I don't have faith in Twatson batting out the overs, so Hussey will need to make sure he's there till at least tea, and Clarke and North need to make sure they bat out time. There's no way to win this match so we either need to hold out or pray for rain.

What's the forecast like tomorrow? Will it be overcast again (just our luck) or sunny? I've never followed a forecast as much as I have this series lol.

OZGOD said:
To be fair to him it was a pretty decent delivery.

This is backs to the wall Gallipoli stuff now. 25 behind with 2 wickets down to make England bat again with 90 overs to go. I don't have faith in Twatson batting out the overs, so Hussey will need to make sure he's there till at least tea, and Clarke and North need to make sure they bat out time. There's no way to win this match so we either need to hold out or pray for rain.

What's the forecast like tomorrow? Will it be overcast again (just our luck) or sunny? I've never followed a forecast as much as I have this series lol.
Yeah it was a good ball, but Punter is quite susceptible to off spin early on in his innings, Harbhajan made a career out of getting him out. :)

Weather forecast is overcast but I reckon Aus will save this match.

I want Aus to save this match so that next 2 matches would be lip licking exciting...

Lee and Clark(hopefuly) would be back in place of Siddle & Johnson(rubbish) & that might give Aus a fresh rigour to take 20 wkts againts Eng....

:))) what a gem of a delivery to Ponting...unless Australia have an unbelievable day tomorrow, I think the urn is gonna be handed over this summer...and perhaps the end of Ponting's captaincy?

I told you the Aussies would have their behinds handed to them by England. They have been made to look very ordinary and mortal by England. If the ashes is lost, Ponting should look for another career.

pakistani pride said:
How is weather today?

Looking really good - ground nearly full....fans still streaming in.

This is the game me & my son are watching!

Oxy said:
Looking really good - ground nearly full....fans still streaming in.

This is the game me & my son are watching!

In your heart you are still watching the Pak SL game - dont fight it Oxy....

Flintoff coming around the stumps to Hussey! Great contest here ...

Hussey gets a 4 through extra cover ... Superb shot ... It's one of the saddest things in cricket that a really talented and determined player like Hussey has such a short career in cricket.

MIG said:
In your heart you are still watching the Pak SL game - dont fight it Oxy....

Not at all.

I absolutely HATE Asian TV coverage - and in the UK, Asian channels massacre cricket games!

Aus 101-2

Edbaston is SOLD OUT on DAy 5

No early chances so far in the game. The pitch seems to have eased a bit. Swing came into the equation around the 30th over mark in the first innings of Australia. The spell after the current one by Flintoff-Onions should be interesting. I hope Strauss gives it to Anderson-Swann. It will be all about bowling in partnerships for England.

From the early signs, I think the test is heading for a draw.

I was hoping Anderson had opened the bowling today - I'll Onions 1 more - might even try Swann

Swann getting good drift into the left hander.

Hussey hammers the next ball which is a bit short for 4 and takes Australia into the lead. He hasn't done much wrong today!

Swann looking most likelt to take wkt

Wheres Jimmy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back