England v New Zealand | 2nd Test | Headingley | 25/5/13 | Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Day 1 washed out and with England already 1-0 up in the series, the Blackcaps are going to have to play out of their skins to win this Test match.

England have won the toss and they will bat first

I'm confident England will wrap these kiwis up inside 4 days!!!

Sun is out, Headingley deck flat these days, time to fill your boots lads!

Plan for England - simple, bat once, bat big and setup innings defeat to despatch kiwis

Last edited:
England should have bowled 1st and tried to play into the minds of the kiwis after their collapse in last game and tried to re-open wounds which wont have healed.

Beauty from Southee to get Compton.
Excellent bowler.

England should have bowled 1st and tried to play into the minds of the kiwis after their collapse in last game and tried to re-open wounds which wont have healed.

If you win the toss, bat. If you're not sure, bat. If you're really not sure, ask the senior professional, then bat.

- Sir Donald Bradman

England 29-1 in 13.

I like England's strategy, bore the opposition and their fans.

Pun times ahead - Dickson: "@Vinay Patel, yes, and NZ will hope their scorecard gets a case of the Trotts when they bat. They wouldn't want a lightning Boult to strike them a second time. Hopefully they can Cook something up. I just hope they sorted their issues out Prior to this match, or we could be in for Broad changes in our lineup. We don't want to look like Bell-ends for too long with the bat. Guptill that last innings at Lords, we looked ok but things went Southee pretty quickly thereafter."

From cricindia :))

It has a been while since Cooky crossed the 100 mark. It would be great to get a "daddy" ahead of the Ashes

Would love to see Cook score 200 runs here...
Cook is the only guy that can challange Tendulkar test runs...

Trott has played well this morning. Has had a bit of a difficult time recently.

Once you're in at Headingly nowadays you can score big. Cook and Trott the ideal combo for England on this type of pitch.

Just when England were getting into a comfortable position.
2 Wickets by Wagner and Bracewell has brought right back in the game.

It's sad that the 1st day was washed out. Anyway, happy to see the Kiwis fighting it out.

England 3 down, good session for the kiwis...

To use a football song....

#[England] Are you Pakistan in disguise?

England just need 100 more runs!!! kiwis will wet themselves when it comes to the fight!!!

Kallis?...

Kallis is 2000 runs away from Tendulkar.. And Tendulkar will not stop playing test cricket before Kallis retires... And Tendulkar will atleast play for 2 more years because of India are gonna play in South Afrikca and Tendulkar is the only batsman who can score on those wickets.

Kallis is 2000 runs away from Tendulkar.. And Tendulkar will not stop playing test cricket before Kallis retires... And Tendulkar will atleast play for 2 more years because of India are gonna play in South Afrikca and Tendulkar is the only batsman who can score on those wickets.
I don't see him scoring more than 100 runs for the series on current form.

Ooh dear, novice Root and Bottler Bell in on 0 together....

In 2-3 years we could end up swapping rankings with your lot, you've got no talent coming through.

Dunno about that - KP, Trott and Swann will be finishing but the rest of the side will still be there. I reckon Root, Bairstow and Finn will be kicking on, big time.

Dunno about that - KP, Trott and Swann will be finishing but the rest of the side will still be there. I reckon Root, Bairstow and Finn will be kicking on, big time.
KP, Trott and Swann are big boots to fill.

Unfortunately as they used to say for the Germans in Football - in the end, England win.

I don't see him scoring more than 100 runs for the series on current form.

I think Tendulkar will have a better series than many of us expecting. around 200-350 he he score I think

Not sold on Bairstow, expecting big things from Root though.

Not sold on Bairstow, expecting big things from Root though.

They should move him up to open with Cook, and put Buttler at #6 IMO. That would give us more punch at the top of the order.

I don't think we're going anywhere with Compo.

Even the last game pitch was no 68 all out pitch. Maybe 150-175. I expected a 50-60 runs loss. Not to score 60 lol.
England lost 5-6 wickets for 50 odd runs on the last day as well, it wasn't as easy as some make it out to be.

In 2-3 years we could end up swapping rankings with your lot, you've got no talent coming through.

I'm not so sure, England has a pretty good first class structure and they nurture players well - also England has a wide pool to pick and choose players from including Ireland, Scotland and of course South Africa!!

I'm not so sure, England has a pretty good first class structure and they nurture players well - also England has a wide pool to pick and choose players from including Ireland, Scotland and of course South Africa!!
Root is the only player I see being world class but he seems to be suffering from Watson syndrome... He cant convert those 50s into 100s...

Absence of KP has left a big hole in this England line-up, as would the absence the premier batsman affect any team.

Root and Bell seem lightweight to be coming in with England 3 down. They could of course score, and Root is at home too so will be looking for a big score.

Root is the only player I see being world class but he seems to be suffering from Watson syndrome... He cant convert those 50s into 100s...

Fair point - but with the SA team being so strong and difficult to break into, others will take the kp route, as will upcoming players in Ireland and Scotland who want to compete on the intl level and make big bucks

Not sure about Hawkeye but it does bounce at Headingly.

Is it me or has the ball started to move a lot more now?

110-1 after lunch means it's England's session.

Can Root kick on?

Root is a treat to watch. Undoubtedly the best young English Batsmen.
Not only is he technically correct he has a great temprament too.
Englands future batting is in safe hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back