England v S.A | 4th Test | The Oval | 7/08/08

How much will PIeterson be fined for the slow over rate? Whats the going rate thesedays?

Not enough to bother him. Slow over rate is so common that they seem to have given up enforcing it, so much so I was shocked when Collingwood got banned for his over rate offences, when that's how it should be, really.

yeah...I think S.A has batted badly....they look a little bit not mentally up for this dead rubber.

SA has done the job in the series, fair play to them, but 103-1 from 158-7 is England batting territory. I would have liked them to try and go for the 3-0 whitewash to make it a more exciting game - are they maybe unaware of just how good that would be away in England.

Morkel out and......

Cricinfo said:
Then to cap off Morkel's moment, he walks off in the wrong direction and ends up near the groundsman's shed

Heard something interesting on the balls used and the swing -
one commentator thinks that the Duke ball used might be from 2007 and not the 2008 batch. There is a rumor going around that 2008 ball is not swinging much

Partnership of 10 overs was finally broken. 11th over would have been a disaster and Pietersen made it clear to the bowler. Panesar it was to jump up to the challenge "maino dey day"

Eng 0-0 after 2 balls - trail by 194

SA has 40 min to bowl 21 overs

Last edited:
Direct hit from Amla - thats as close as you can get to being out without being out!

Bell survives...

20-1

tomorrow morning all of England's press will be all over Pietersen saying that he is a world class captain on the appearence of one innings, just wait for the over reaction for the English press and then followed by the calls for his axing, typical english media, i believe many of England's sport failures are due to the English press who just pick up a team or player when they feel like it and all of a suden the throw the players as fast as they can at the first oppurtunity.

38-1

156 behind with 9 wickets in hand

GO SA!!!!

pakistanbest said:
tomorrow morning all of England's press will be all over Pietersen saying that he is a world class captain on the appearence of one innings...

No danger of our media needing to 'big-up' our kapitaan

Day 2 - Will it be KP's day...?!

He's come in early to bat as they lost Bell early on so upto now he's doing well - The main thing that I'll say is that he should'nt change his natural game as he's an attacking player who's also known for his game too that way so with the added responsibility there are some implications that it might force KP to change his attacking approach and that in my view will not be something good for KP and for England!

Last edited:
England will get a lead of roughly 50-60 and be set around 220 to win the match and will lose by 40 odd runs.

Hash said:
England will get a lead of roughly 50-60 and be set around 220 to win the match and will lose by 40 odd runs.

... with a margin of error of +/- 80 runs. :asif

Bad light stops play but light is improving now.
Pietersen 53 - Collingwood 24
Eng 151-3 after 47 overs - trail by 43 runs
Rain excpected tomorrow around lunch time

Pietersen 100 off 135 - Collingwood 45 - 108 run partnership
Eng 219-3 after 63.3 overs - lead of 25 runs
43 overs left today

2 balls later Pietersen 100 ct in slips by Kallis off Ntini
Eng 219-4 fter 63.5 overs

Not a bad start for Pietersen... Skittled SA for under 200 and replied with a hundred of his own.

Freddieeee walks out to bat. 150 lead overall would be nice.

Congrats to KP on a very bright start to his captaincy reign though this match is a dead rubber and not much pressure is on KP, but a good start for him

Dont know who to support, but I will take SA.

Harris is crap, I cant believe he ran through our line up last time in Pak - but hes keeping it tight here.

Harris i feel is not a strike bowler more a bowler that keep things tight from one hand while from the other end the fast bowlers do all the aggressive bowling

Collingwood 50 from 98 balls :123:
Eng 233-4 after 67.4 overs - lead of 39

the world worst Keeper, Ambrose is OUT!!!! FOR 4

71.6 Kallis to Ambrose, OUT, well bowled, and another one goes, good line outside off with a touch of bounce, takes the edge and provides a comfortable catch for Smith at first slip - his third of the innings - and Kallis playing a vital role with the ball
TR Ambrose c Smith b Kallis 4 (11b 0x4 0x6) SR: 36.36

Ambrose 4 ct at first slip by Smith off Kallis
Eng 241-6 after 72 overs - lead of 47
Broad in and 35 overs left today

The annoying thing about Ambrose is that he keeps wicket pretty nicely imo. so there is always going to be an argument from some people when you have to drop him, which surely has to happen now, after his recent abysmal run.

Speaking of abysmal, what's been going on since tea? really disappointing stuff. we still have a very good chance of getting in a winning position by lunchtime tomorrow, i would be really cross if we went down 3-0 after the first five sessions of the game.

Collingwood 61 out c & b Kallis
Eng 248-7 after 77.2 overs - lead of 54

Before the England tour to India - Harmisson to be going with the high performance squad to India to play there

grrr. the question a couple of hours ago was just how many it could be? now we will do well at get 100 lead.

Flintoff needs to do something about his batting. His lack of runs really puts pressure on the side. I am not impressed with Ambrose at all, he better be the best keeper in England otherwise i would have given him his marching orders ages ago. He bats like a bloody tail ender at times.

England as usual are wasting a good start, they were on fire and were looking at a 400 plus now they are struggling to reach 300...

now come on, 30 more runs. would it really be unreasonable to ask for that?

Harmison to me has always looked quite at home with the bat, if casual. He is a cricketer with a lot of natural talent. obviously he is a bowler first and foremost, but I don't know why he often bats at 10 or 11. Number 9 is the right place for him.

England looing well to get to a lead of 100+ with Harmy leading the way

85 runs ahead with 2 wickets remaining

The new ball seems to be moving around a lot. Good signs for Harmison who will soon take a new ball of his own.

300 up, 110 lead - well done Harmison with 44 his highest test score :)

Hows about another dozen runs, nip out Smith and Amla tonight, there's a good day!

Is there something wrong when the strike bowler is a better batsman than the wicketkeeper and the all-rounder?

Anderson 13 lbw Harris - 53 run partnership
Eng 316-9 after 95 overs - lead of 122
Harmisson on 49

Monty run out. Harmisson standed on 49*
Eng 316 all out - lead of 122

probably 9 overs left today

Aww. so unlucky. But how about Harmison and Flintoff to rip out a few wickets here, 7/8 overs left to do it. Perfect little mini-session for a bowl.

SA 0-1

Smith plumb LBW

Anderson gets him

What a game!

ANDERSON STRIKES!! 0-1 Smith lbw. Knockin middle out half way up! Keep going let's get another one.

S.A need to go all out and atack and try and get 200 ahead....then let england sweat it out. Should be very good.

If weather hold up i can see england winning match today.

S.A 12 behind and Hashim Amla batting brlliantly ....starting to look as dominant in international as he has been at domestic cricket.

saffer said:
S.A 12 behind and Hashim Amla batting brlliantly ....starting to look as dominant in international as he has been at domestic cricket.

:))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

romali....nie try at a wind up.When you doubt things like amla batted well against drastic swing , then you just look silly. Your comments dicredit themselves and requie no rebuke.

ps : India suck and deserve to be number 4 (or wors) in the world.

saffer said:

Amla is playing attacking cricket unlike him he played very well hope he gets a big hundred tommrow.
Also i think he should be given chance to play in the odi as well he is in great form and will do well Insha'Allah.

Hamish McAmla is GONE - Harmison gets him

Eng on top

SA 121-3 (still trail by 1 run)

And GBH gets Kallis too, concluding a rotten series with the bat for him!

abcd 28 - Boucher 4
SA 186-5 after 62 overs - lead of 64 runs
63 overs left today

Morkel ct at short leg off Panesar. Loud appeal and Aleem Dar says out. Possible no bat/glove involved but Morkel walks off without any gesture
SA 218-7 after 73.4 overs - lead of 96
abcd 43*
51 overs left today

Commentator now saying there was glove involved

Last edited:
abcd 76 - Harris 12 - Partnership of 47 from 11.2 overs
SA 265-7 after 85 overs - lead of 143
39 overs left today

England in 'unable to bowl out the tail' shock.....

304 for 7. Frustrating times for England even with 5 front line bowlers.

Harris 30 out ct in slips off Broad - 91 run partnership from 22 overs
SA 313-8 after 95.4 overs - lead of 191
abcd 97*
29 overs left but it is getting dark. umpires checked the light meter earlier this over

Rule in SA team - bowlers have to bat with arm guards
Nel and Ntini were one sponsored by a batmaker called Wasp and they used to call themselves "sting in the tail"
- S Pollock

Could be an interesting finale to this match.

I still fancy England though as the wicket looks pretty good.

Good catch by Collingwood in the slips. Proteas 318 all out. England needs 197. Should be a good finale. Pity I'll be working tomorrow.

bad light stopped play

Fifth day tickets at The Oval will be sold for £15 for adults and £7.50 for Under 16's. The tickets will be available to buy online at www.surreycricket.com or at the ground from tomorrow morning. Please note that payment will be cash only.

12thMan said:
bad light stopped play

Fifth day tickets at The Oval will be sold for £15 for adults and £7.50 for Under 16's. The tickets will be available to buy online at www.surreycricket.com or at the ground from tomorrow morning. Please note that payment will be cash only.

What if I dont have cash?

stumps day 4
Eng 0-0 after 1.2 overs - need 197 to win

radio is insisting cash only

12thMan said:
stumps day 4
Eng 0-0 after 1.2 overs - need 197 to win

radio is insisting cash only

But what if I dont feel safe carrying cash in London?

Back