Export a car from England to Pakistan

BAADSHAH

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Hi

One of my friends is wanting to ship a car to Pakistan, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this?

Do you know where I could get more information on this, as to how much he will have to pay customs?

Also, are there any rules regarding the age of the vehicle?

Do you know any websites which give any information regarding this?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Here you go Baadshah ,hope this will give you some answers and insights.

Pakistan car import FAQ

This page provides information on frequently asked questions on the import and export of cars to Pakistan.

1) Can any overseas Pakistani national who is living abroad import a vehicle to Pakistan?

A: Every national living abroad can, depending on if they fulfil the conditions of the The Import Trade and Procedure Order 2000, can import a vehicle.

However, there are several exceptions. These are
a) students abroad who get money from Pakistan
b) members of the families of Pakistani nationals who are do not earn a wage
c) anyone who has already imported or exported a vehicle within the last two years.

This policy is often changed at the end of each financial year so please check with the latest version.

What kind of vehicles or cars can you import into Pakistan under the Personal Baggage/Gift Scheme and TR Scheme?

A) You can import any vehicle which is new under 2 years old. This includes Cars, Buses, Vans, Trucks, Pickups and 4×4 vehicles.

For vehicles which are over two years old you can import them under the TR Scheme as per Import Trade and Procedure Order, 2000.

How can an overseas Pakistani bring a new car on his return to Pakistan?

A) A Pakistani national living abroad for the last seven months, and who has lived abroad for 180 days during that time, can import a new car under the Import Trade and Procedure Order, 2000.

If he or she imports a 4×4 vehicle, or one which has an engine capacity of 1800cc and above, he or she will have to pay customs duty and other taxes in foreign exchange.

What is the procedure of importing a vehicle in baggage and what are the documents that will be required?

A) Your must have been abroad for at least 180 days to be eligible for the import of a vehicle.

If you have an old or used vehicle then it must be registered in your name for at least 60 days before you return to Pakistan.

You will need to show the following documents to Customs Authorities upon import of the car in Pakistan:

1. Purchase receipt of the vehicle.
2. Bill of lading
3. Photocopy of passport duly attested by the Embassy / Consulate of Pakistan abroad.
4. The registration documents in case of used vehicles.

The way to actually import the vehicle and clear it with customs is as follows:

In Karachi, goto the Custom House first floor and find the Group-VIII of Appraisement Collectorate office.

Give the documents mentioned above to the import authorization cell along with your original passport.

Here the staff will give you a free import authorization form. After filling the form return it to them along with the documents which are then submitted to Deputy / Assistant Collector in charge of Group-VIII for approval /signature.

After approval of the import authorization form, the original documents are given back. The vehicle is cleared after paying relevant duty and taxes and filing a bill of entry through the Customs approved clearing agent.

You may also do this at customs houses in Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad, Sialkot, Quetta, Hyderabad, Rawalpindi and Peshawar.

What if I can’t pay the duty, taxes for my car? Can I send my car back?

A) This is a very difficult situation. Basically the car will be seized by customs and sent to auction. However, you can get the money back from customs after the sale, minus the duty, taxes and other charges which were assessed on the car.

Page 2 of Pakistan car import export FAQ

My [brother] studied overseas for one year is now coming back after finishing. Can he bring a car?

A: A student who is getting financial support from Pakistan is not able to import a under Import Trade and Procedure Order, 2006. If the student, in this case a hypothetical brother, is not getting any money from Pakistan and the vehicle is bought from his own earnings abroad he can import it under the Rules.

We have a foreign national working in our company on a contract basis. Can he bring a car along with him?
A: Yes, a non privileged foreign national who comes to Pakistan on a specific contract of service with any local and foreign firm or with a Government or semi-Government Authority in Pakistan can bring a car as personal baggage. The vehicle can only be released on production of employer’s contract (service certificate) and on payment of custom duty and other taxes.

I am returning from abroad after a two month stay? Can I bring a car or any other vehicle as part of my baggage?
A: The minimum stay for importing a vehicle in baggage is 180 days, therefore as your stay is only 60 days you cannot import a vehicle under the Import Trade and Procedure.

My [brother] stayed in the UK for 8 months. Can he bring a car? If yes, what types can he import?
A: Yes, your brother is able to bring one vehicle under the Import Trade and Procedure, but the used vehicle must not be more than five years old (from the date of entry into Pakistan) under baggage scheme.

A five year old vehicle is one which is made five years before the date of import, e.g. you can import a vehicle manufactured in June, 2000 up to the June of 2005.

My relative is returning after more than 180 days away but he does not know how to bring a car back as baggage. What documents will be required, and what is the procedure?
A: He is entitled to import one new or up to five years old vehicle, if he is returning after 180 days from the date of departure from Pakistan to the date of arrival in Pakistan according to the current Import Policy of 2006.

He is has to complete form CR-PB/G and give the following documents to Customs Authorities.

(i) Purchase receipt of the vehicle.

(ii) Bill of lading (this document is issued by the shipping company at the time of booking of the vehicle for Pakistan).

(iii) Photocopy of full passport duly attested by the Embassy / Consulate of Pakistan abroad.

I have been abroad for more than 3 years and want to gift a vehicle to my family. How can I do this?
A: You can gift a vehicle to your family which includes parents, sisters, brother, husband, wife and children above the age of eighteen.

The car, however, should not be more than five years old and your stay abroad shall at least be 700 days during the past three years.

The gift can only be made to a family member residing in Pakistan. You are required to fill a gift undertaking and earning certificate form which will be duly attested by the Pakistan Mission. You will also need

I guess the burning question is, how much does the whole process cost including taxes?

I've heard the duty on a vehicle older then 2 years is close to 150%

During the aftermath of the earthquake the import duty was suspended to allow aid vehicles to be donated... Suprise Suprise, people from the UK were shipping and driving over battered old Mercedes 190e and selling them for 4 x what the value was back in europe to dealer in Pakistan.

Its much easier to import from Japan is what i've been told.

if you are trying to start a business by importing cars and selling them in pakistan, then dude youve missed the bus.

one of my mates wants to send a car to his parents in pakistan

Thanks to those who gave some info on this

there doesnt seem to be a clear cut answer to this - so will leave it up to my mate to find out!

then tell him to buy it from pakistan will be much cheaper.

Exporting a car to Pakistan from UK

I'm thinking of exporting my car to Pakistan - I think Pakistan has recently removed all custom duties on imports - is that correct? what is the procedure? How much will it cost altogther? does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

IIRC you will be paying 200% of what the car is valued at.

will ask my friends tomorrow and confirm for you.

that's not a wise idea . Just sell the car in the UK, and get a car in Pak. Will be more cost effective.

Was wondering what the cost of exporting an old 4x4 from the UK to Pakistan would cost. Looked at the prices for small mehrans which is extortionate compared to what you can get here at the same price e.g. toyota rav4 (mid 2000's?). Would like an old runaround car in pakistan.

Back