Have PTI's senior leadership abandoned Imran Khan?

The Anti-Money Laundering Cell (AMLC) of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has sent a notice to PTI leader Asad Umar, asking him to appear at its Karachi office along with documents on May 25, in a case allegedly involving receipt of Rs40 million from benami account and other sources.

The notice has been sent by FIA Deputy Director Abdul Rauf Sheikh.

It said that Rs30 million was received by bank staff from the PTI leader’s residence on April 15, 2013. The amount was deposited in PTI’s account at the Jinnah Avenue Islamabad branch.

On May, 2013, yet another amount of Rs10 million was received which was deposited in the PTI’s account from the benami account.

The PDM and establishment have played it real smart. By keeping IK at Zaman Park but everyone else under arrest and brutality, they have created frustration among the senior leaders/their families against IK i.e. we are all under brutal arrest and going through tough times whereas IK is chilling in Zaman Park and not doing enough to get us out of prison.

It is probably best for IK to go to Prison along with everyone else.

The PDM and establishment have played it real smart. By keeping IK at Zaman Park but everyone else under arrest and brutality, they have created frustration among the senior leaders/their families against IK i.e. we are all under brutal arrest and going through tough times whereas IK is chilling in Zaman Park and not doing enough to get us out of prison.

He's hardly chilling in Zaman Park, there is a lot of work for him to do and there is always a threat to him and his family.

It was IK who was shot too.

The PTI leaders knew fake cases would be bought up against them sooner or later. They just to need to play it out, sooner or later these will be dropped and they will have their time to call the PDM crooks to court.

PML N and PPP are now going to make fun of PTI in their jalsas, interviews, press conferences i.e. these cohaas were not able to survive in jail for 2 weeks whereas we and our leaders have been in jails for years and years. It can be debated tho whether they were kept in luxurious or squalid conditions.

One thing is very clear as we have seen with the fate of the lotas who betrayed IK in April 2022, their politics is over, they aren't going to get any votes even if they go to another party.

He's hardly chilling in Zaman Park, there is a lot of work for him to do and there is always a threat to him and his family.

It was IK who was shot too.

The PTI leaders knew fake cases would be bought up against them sooner or later. They just to need to play it out, sooner or later these will be dropped and they will have their time to call the PDM crooks to court.

“Sooner or later” you have been saying since last year, everyone underestimated the brutality of Establishment and also how far their reach goes.

What has happened this month is equivalent to Emergency In India.
It almost seems they are randomly torturing elected officials.

Imran Khan should accept the offer to exile with a guarantee of his life for now. Sometimes you have to take a step back, rest and come back charged, refreshed. Most importantly you have to be alive in order to fight another day as Nawaz Sharif has proven time and time again.

Imran Khan should accept the offer to exile with a guarantee of his life for now. Sometimes you have to take a step back, rest and come back charged, refreshed. Most importantly you have to be alive in order to fight another day as Nawaz Sharif has proven time and time again.

I don’t think Khan would ever go into exile.

Nope. That's a cowards way out. Better to stand and die then live on your knees. If he runs his politics is finished. The only reason bhagora has any politics is because of the establishment..none of these parties can now survive without them. They are parasites.

PTI is fast becoming an ideology. And you can't kill those..

Nope. That's a cowards way out. Better to stand and die then live on your knees. If he runs his politics is finished. The only reason bhagora has any politics is because of the establishment..none of these parties can now survive without them. They are parasites.

PTI is fast becoming an ideology. And you can't kill those..

Anyone else inside PTI who can be relied upon to take charge of PTI after IK? IK should will the party over to his sister, nephew once he is not around.

Anyone else inside PTI who can be relied upon to take charge of PTI after IK? IK should will the party over to his sister, nephew once he is not around.

Reconcile with his Missus Jemima and ask her to step up. She’s always been by his side even after he left her

Chohan revealed Khan told them to not condemn the 9th May attacks

That’s a huge revelation! I knew it, Khan knows that he can use street violence for his benefit!

That’s a huge revelation! I knew it, Khan knows that he can use street violence for his benefit!

Any credible court of law will rule evidence obtained under torture, duress to be inadmissible.

Any credible court of law will rule evidence obtained under torture, duress to be inadmissible.

Chohan said this in a press conference

He also said that he is saying this under oath. Don’t see the reason for him to lie about this?

IK is not chilling in Zaman Park. One simly can’t chill when the life is under constant threat. IK is going through the hardest days of his life. He is under tremendous stress and pressure.

Khan himself has condemned May 9 in his media conferences.

Chohan is being forced to say this or else the gang will harass and torture his family.

Chohan said this in a press conference

He also said that he is saying this under oath. Don’t see the reason for him to lie about this?
Are you this innocent? Or do you live under the rock?

Khan himself has condemned May 9 in his media conferences.

Chohan is being forced to say this or else the gang will harass and torture his family.

Hahahahahah

Oh yeah Chohan really looks like he is under duress when he is revealing this all. He is being 100% genuine. It’s exactly the way he talks in his PTI days too.

If someone speaks up, they are under duress according to PTI loool

PML N and PPP are now going to make fun of PTI in their jalsas, interviews, press conferences i.e. these cohaas were not able to survive in jail for 2 weeks whereas we and our leaders have been in jails for years and years. It can be debated tho whether they were kept in luxurious or squalid conditions.

One thing is very clear as we have seen with the fate of the lotas who betrayed IK in April 2022, their politics is over, they aren't going to get any votes even if they go to another party.

And they won't be wrong. Not just PTI and PDM, but Pakistan has a history of rebels and activists who have been brutally killed or jailed for life. Unfortunately many folks believe history of Pakistan started in 2018.

Again replugging this reminder video. PTI and it's folks seem all bluster and no stuff. Reality bites.

https://youtu.be/V7VQT-zDnf0

Losing Chohan is a blessing in disguise. Meet him at a restaurant years ago .Even more vulgar in person than on TV

Even as Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) workers, protestors and former ministers face prosecution, arrests and harassment from law enforcement agencies in the aftermath of PTI chairperson and deposed prime minister Imran Khan’s arrest, subsequent release, and May 9 riots, certain individuals of the party’s top leadership have managed to evade arrest or get relief from the courts.

Among them are PTI Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) chapter in-charge, who had called for “peaceful protests” on a daily basis on May 11, and former K-P chief minister Mahmood Khan. This was shortly before the party’s leadership in K-P reportedly went underground with their mobile phones found switched off and silence observed from them on social media. Other party leaders, including former provincial minister Taimur Khan Jhagra, former MPAs Kamran Bangash and Atif Khan, have had their homes and offices raided multiple times but have not been arrested yet. Meanwhile, no former female PTI MPA has had cases lodged against her while Murad Saeed has reportedly fled the country.

Former CM Pervez Khattak has no cases registered against him in Nowshera whereas his sons Ibrahim Khattak and Imran Khattak are also safe from prosecution because they reportedly did not partake in any violent protest.

Similarly, no FIR has been lodged against Mahmood Khan in any police station across K-P. He hasn’t been named in FIRs lodged in Malakand over May 9, 10 protests either.

Meanwhile, in Swabi, former K-P deputy Provincial Assembly speaker Mehmood Jan managed to procure pre-arrest bail from court. He remains underground, however.

Atif Khan also has no FIR lodged against him in Mardan. Officials told The Express Tribune that he was not witnessed participating in violent protests or vandalism in the aftermath of Imran’s arrest.

In Charsadda, PTI MNA Malik Anwar Taj has also acquired pre-arrest bail and remains in hiding.

Another PTI leader in Swabi, Shahram Khan Tarakai, has a case registered against him with law enforcement authorities conducting multiple raids for his arrest.

Multiple raids in Swat have also been conducted for the arrest of former federal minister Murad Saeed. He faces accusations of hate speech against state institutions. His homes in Swat and Islamabad were raided multiple times but he could not be arrested. Rumours abound of him having fled the country.

Another PTI leader who has managed to evade arrest despite 11 raids at his residences in Chamkani and Cantt is Kamran Bangash. Officials told The Express Tribune that Bangash faces charges pertaining to terrorism with an FIR lodged against him in Peshawar.

The police have also raided the residence of Taimur Jhagra four times in Hayattabad but could not arrest him. Similarly, the police have raided former MPA Atif Khan’s residence and petrol pump seven times but could not arrest him either.

However, the police officials did confirm the arrest of former provincial minister Imtiaz Shahid Qureshi in Kohat.

Former Peshawar MPA Arbab Jahandad also managed to acquire bail in a case registered against him in Chamkani but he has been arrested in another case.

Officials told The Express Tribune that the assistance of federal investigating authorities is being sought for the arrests of other PTI leaders and former ministers as well as MPAs and MNAs named in anti-terrorism cases in K-P.

Lower-tier PTI leaders and frontline workers who are currently under fire on social media for the protests that caused mayhem on May 9 and 10 have expressed shock at the evasion of arrest by top leadership.

Express Tribune

Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) former Member of National Assembly (MNA) Saima Nadeem was offloaded from a Canada-bound flight at Karachi airport, ARY NEWS reported.

As per details, PTI MNA Saima Nadeem was travelling to Toronto via Pakistan International Airline (PIA) flight PK 503.

The PTI leader was offloaded as her name was mentioned on the stop list. She was shifted to the airport police station after offloading.

Earlier, the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) swung into action to stop over 200 suspected Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders and workers from leaving the country.

The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) tightened the noose around the PTI leaders and workers who were allegedly involved in May 9 riots.

its hilarious how everything we used to say is coming out to be true and being accepted by PTI after they have been removed.

We used to say Fayyaz was a batameez individual, but no, PTI loved him and that was his style. Today the same fayyaz bad mouthed IMran :))), oh im loving this. And now pti fans are saying he is batameez

IHC orders release of PTI’s Asad Umar

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) has ordered the release of PTI’s Asad Umar who was arrested under the Maintenance of Public Order Ordinance.

Justice Miangul Hassan Aurangzeb presided over the hearing and remarked that “they will not let you go until you hold a press conference”.

However, Umar’s lawyer Babar Awan told the court that they would not “hold a press conference”. He also called for his client to be presented before the court.

“Asad Umar’s cases are in front of me. If I issue an order today, I don’t know what will happen tomorrow,” Justice Aurangzeb said. The court directed Umar to submit a declaration and to delete his incendiary tweets.

PML-N and PPP leaders, workers and supporters should have no complaints if the army turns against them or if the pti ever comes back into power and seeks vengeance for the events of the last year.

PML-N and PPP leaders, workers and supporters should have no complaints if the army turns against them or if the pti ever comes back into power and seeks vengeance for the events of the last year.

When the time comes in sub pay article 6 ugta hay. Khan has said as much..inshallah we don't run out of rope..one day..vengeance is coming. Nobody is gonna forget this..they know this..

When the time comes in sub pay article 6 ugta hay. Khan has said as much..inshallah we don't run out of rope..one day..vengeance is coming. Nobody is gonna forget this..they know this..

Of course they won’t forget. Just like they didn’t forget the humiliation Khan put them through during his time in power

What goes around
Comes around

Its ok its a virginal experience for the PTI and their followers. Its always difficult the first time. PPP and PML N have dealt with the antics of the establishment before and are therefore experienced.

Had a feeling FC would leave. IK had stopped talking to him in the last week because he settled with the authorities without consulting the PTI.

Fawad had been reaching out to other parties for some while but been told no. Zardari has blacklisted him.

So far in his career he has been active in

AMPL
PML Q
PPP
PML

and finally PTI.

I think its obvious to us why he has left but Alum rock political scientist's on this forum well claim he has been pressured and left under duress :))

Another major defection will be unveiled soon from within the closest of close circle of Imran Khan. Can't say who.

Give it 3-4 months and we can bump this thread.

All i have ever heard is that IK is a one man party. So does it really matter if all these people leave? People vote for Imran Khan and not Shah Mehmood Qureshi or Fawad Chaudhry etc.

All i have ever heard is that IK is a one man party. So does it really matter if all these people leave? People vote for Imran Khan and not Shah Mehmood Qureshi or Fawad Chaudhry etc.

Its a simple fact.

As long as Imran Khan survives this onslaught he will still be the next PM.

‘Release from prison is conditional on written political repentance,’ says Sheikh Rashid

In an apparent reference to PTI leaders’ arrests and resignations, Imran Khan’s long-time ally and Awami Muslim League chief Sheikh Rashid has said that “release from the prison is conditional on written political repentance”.

He said while the entire nation condemned the events of May 9 and had no sympathy for the suspects, but ’chadar aur char diwari’ and respect for women were important as well.

In a cryptic remark, he added, “I believe there is a level-playing field now and if not, there will be one by June 15. The selection has ended and elections should be held now.”

PTI leader Asad Umar leaves party positions

Senior PTI leader Asad Umar has announced that he is leaving his party positions with immediate effect.

==

Asad Umar, during his press conference, condemned the events of May 9 and emphasised the importance of the army in the words of Imran Khan.

“The importance of the army in Pakistan … the best analysis on this has been presented by Imran. He has said it multiple times that in Muslim countries you see destruction in past years, and that if disciplined and powerful army is not there in Pakistan, we would have to face same situation as Syria and Iraq,” he said.

PTI leader Asad Umar leaves party positions

Senior PTI leader Asad Umar has announced that he is leaving his party positions with immediate effect.

==

Asad Umar, during his press conference, condemned the events of May 9 and emphasised the importance of the army in the words of Imran Khan.

“The importance of the army in Pakistan … the best analysis on this has been presented by Imran. He has said it multiple times that in Muslim countries you see destruction in past years, and that if disciplined and powerful army is not there in Pakistan, we would have to face same situation as Syria and Iraq,” he said.

Death Blow

SMQ resignation loading

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty clear now that the minus IK formula is being implemented. All the senior PTI leaders have been promised that they will be allowed to take over PTI and resume regular political activities with no harrassment in exchange for IK's arrest, disqualification and eventual assasination.

Some reports stating that President Alvi is now going to resign and denounce PTI. Ship is sinking really badly.

Until Ali Muhammad Khan & Murad Saeed leave PTI I'm keeping my morale apart from probably Shireen Mazari rest all were ewer and the helpless lady had to save her young beautiful daughter

Yasmin Rashid says she is standing with PTI

PTI’s Pun*jab chapter president Dr Yasmin Rashid, while speaking to the media, stated that she would not part ways with Imran and PTI.

“I am standing with Imran and I am not going to leave the party,” said the former minister.

I just want to put forward my 2 cents on all that is happening in and around Imran Khan at the moment.

To be completely honest a lot of people who have disassociated from Khan is kind of a blessing for Imran Khan. These so called electables would have turned at one point or another, this includes Fawad Chaudhry, Pervaiz Elahi, Jamshed & Musarrat Cheema and even SMQ. So if SMQ announces to disassociate himself from Khan it would be for long-term betterment of the party.

The only person I felt bad for leaving PTI is Shireen Mazari. She is an educated woman and on camera we have seen the fascist ways in which she and her daughter were treated it was definitely going to break her and it would break others in coming days too. The only silver lining is that she has stated her reason for moving away from PTI were her health and her daughter's safety rather than policies of Imran. So once she is back in good health and her daughter is safe I hope she comes back into PTI. I also felt bad when Asad Umar did the presser yesterday but given he hasn't bad mouthed Khan or his policies and has remained within the party these are good signs as he definitely will take the mantle in the years to come.

If Khan is to survive this outburst from all parties + establishment then it gives Khan the best opportunity to completely rinse his party from all the freeloaders and best opportunity to promote youngsters and educated class in politics. I would really prefer if Khan has leaders denominated across all provinces of Pakistan under him such as Asad Umar for Islamabad, Ali Muhammad for KP, Qasim Suri for Balochistan or Umar Cheema for Punjab. These are idealistic personnel and will help create an environment where success can thrive which would be good for the country. I'm also happy that the likes of Shafqat Mehmood, Dr Alvi, Murad Saeed, Shibli Faraz, Yasmin Rashid, Omar Ayub, Hammad Azhar, etc are still with PTI although they are going through incredibly difficult times where some are being threatened that either their daughter or sisters would be taken away whilst some on this list are missing for some days.

These are currently dark days of fascism either there will be a light at the end of this phase and we would be able to breathe freedom again or we our people will become hunchbacks who's backs are broken as we would be spineless.

So what's the end game here? I don't think Sharif or establishment would want to ban PTI, they would perhaps just want to weaken it. Because if they ban it, then what happens in general elections - PML and PPP who have currently joined hands, who would they fight the elections against? They will be back to fighting against each other.

So what's the end game here? I don't think Sharif or establishment would want to ban PTI, they would perhaps just want to weaken it. Because if they ban it, then what happens in general elections - PML and PPP who have currently joined hands, who would they fight the elections against? They will be back to fighting against each other.

You get Sindh and I get Punjab. And we will live happily ever after.

Lots of prominent name from Kpk still with IK, to name a few Ali Muhammad Khan Murad Saeed Asad Qaiser Atif Khan Pervez Khattak Zartaj Gul Shah Farman etc its the Punjab which is decisive where PDM is getting a helping hand but still there are many sips between cup and lips,general masses as a whole loathe abhor and despise this mafia their only lifeline will be rigging

Very Very dissapointed by the lack of toughness shown by the PTI Senior, Mid and Lower Tier Leaders, Workers. They have badly damaged PTI's reputation by failing to show spine and respite. The opposition is going to use this badly against PTI in election campaigning.

Lots of prominent name from Kpk still with IK, to name a few Ali Muhammad Khan Murad Saeed Asad Qaiser Atif Khan Pervez Khattak Zartaj Gul Shah Farman etc its the Punjab which is decisive where PDM is getting a helping hand but still there are many sips between cup and lips,general masses as a whole loathe abhor and despise this mafia their only lifeline will be rigging

According to news reports, IK is very dissapointed by the KPK Leadership especially Pervez Khattak who has gone AWOL in the last 2 weeks. I will not count on many PTI leaders to stick by.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader and former lawmaker Maleeka Bokhari on Thursday announced that she is quitting the party, becoming the latest member of the former ruling party which landed in hot waters following the violent May 9 riots.

Bokhari announced her decision at a press conference at National Press Club in Islamabad shortly after she was released from detention from the Adiala Jail.

"Everyone may have their own reasons for leaving the party. As a patriot, I cannot stand with whatever happened [on May 9], that is why I am leaving PTI," she said.

Bokhari said that she made the decision after talking to her family.

"I have decided to focus on my efforts in my profession as a lawyer," she said.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader and former lawmaker Maleeka Bokhari on Thursday announced that she is quitting the party, becoming the latest member of the former ruling party which landed in hot waters following the violent May 9 riots.

Bokhari announced her decision at a press conference at National Press Club in Islamabad shortly after she was released from detention from the Adiala Jail.

"Everyone may have their own reasons for leaving the party. As a patriot, I cannot stand with whatever happened [on May 9], that is why I am leaving PTI," she said.

Bokhari said that she made the decision after talking to her family.

"I have decided to focus on my efforts in my profession as a lawyer," she said.

I am reading on social media that her 13 year old son was picked up by unidentified people 2 days ago.

The above is just an example of what these pti resigning people are dealing with.

I am reading on social media that her 13 year old son was picked up by unidentified people 2 days ago.

The above is just an example of what these pti resigning people are dealing with.

I am sure they are going through harassment from establishment. But so are all those poor people who have been arrested and now will go through trials under military court. Their lives are gone. All the leadership had to do was denounce PTI and IK and get out of the party to get their lives back. Those common foot soldiers have thrown their lives away. PTI has already washed their hands off and IK even condemnes the riots. So the workers did all that for nothing.

Other parties have also been harassed and their leadership have held on for long time. If I am not wrong all the major politicians currently in power or adjacent to powered were in jail one time or other.

PTI is good at dishing it out and very poor in taking it. All the talk and harassing their political opponents when they were in power was bound to come back to them. I think they forgot that.

Biggest losers are low level party workers who lives have been torn apart. I am sure if IK calls for another jalsa no one will turn up

I am sure they are going through harassment from establishment. But so are all those poor people who have been arrested and now will go through trials under military court. Their lives are gone. All the leadership had to do was denounce PTI and IK and get out of the party to get their lives back. Those common foot soldiers have thrown their lives away. PTI has already washed their hands off and IK even condemnes the riots. So the workers did all that for nothing.

Other parties have also been harassed and their leadership have held on for long time. If I am not wrong all the major politicians currently in power or adjacent to powered were in jail one time or other.

PTI is good at dishing it out and very poor in taking it. All the talk and harassing their political opponents when they were in power was bound to come back to them. I think they forgot that.

Biggest losers are low level party workers who lives have been torn apart. I am sure if IK calls for another jalsa no one will turn up

I would like some research done on whether the PML-N leadership or even the PPP leadership whether they were put in A class facilities or C class facilities.

Whenever NS has been incarcerated he has been allowed home cooked food of his choosing, access to daily visitors of his choosing and he has been given two deals by the establishment to leave the country. Did the military ever threaten his wife, kids at gunpoint to exert any pressure on him?

Zardari endured an even tougher stint but I have heard anecdotes that he too enjoyed Class A facilities with access to visitors and frequent hospital trips.

I doubt these leaders were kept in Class C facilities for long.

I agree with you that PTI failed really badly on showing toughness under fire and this is going to hurt them badly during election campaigning.

I would like some research done on whether the PML-N leadership or even the PPP leadership whether they were put in A class facilities or C class facilities.

Whenever NS has been incarcerated he has been allowed home cooked food of his choosing, access to daily visitors of his choosing and he has been given two deals by the establishment to leave the country. Did the military ever threaten his wife, kids at gunpoint to exert any pressure on him?

Zardari endured an even tougher stint but I have heard anecdotes that he too enjoyed Class A facilities with access to visitors and frequent hospital trips.

I doubt these leaders were kept in Class C facilities for long.

I agree with you that PTI failed really badly on showing toughness under fire and this is going to hurt them badly during election campaigning.

There is no doubt they all would have enjoyed some patronage due to still having political powers and influence. IK gave up that when he walked out of federal government and dissolved provincial governments. That was real naive and poorly thought out decision. All he had to do was sit in opposition, wait for his turn and use his local governments to influence whatever he can. PDM government would have disintegated or pulled down by establishment once their purpose of military leadership appointments were served. IK just played himself thinking he has the street power to stay out for months.

The pattern

1. Imprisonment declared illegal
2. resignation.

==

Imran Ismail leaves PTI

Former Sindh governor Imran Ismail has announced that he is leaving the PTI and resigning from all party positions.

“I have decided that I am resigning from positions of the PTI, as I am the additional secretary general and a member of the core committee.

“I am also leaving the PTI … Khan sahib I bid adieu to you and PTI.”

Break as many PTI members as you can in 4 weeks but then announce polls: Imran tells govt

PTI Chairman Imran Khan has issued a message to the government to break away as many party members for the next three to four weeks but announce elections afterwards.

“Give yourself time. If you want to take two or three weeks then break away as many people as you want. At the rate you’re going, you have already broken many and many more will break … but it is my request to give a timeframe because the country is heading towards destruction.

“The economy is sinking … so give yourself a timeframe of two to three weeks but then announce elections when you think you’ve broken away enough people from the PTI that it’s no longer able of contesting elections.”

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Imran Khan, the crusading opposition leader whose arrest this month ignited riots across Pakistan, now finds himself increasingly isolated as key aides and supporters defect under pressure from the military and his once-unstoppable party appears in danger of collapsing.

The 70-year-old former prime minister, who was ousted by Parliament just over a year ago, remains outwardly defiant. On Friday, he said the powerful Pakistani army was becoming a “fascist” institution that is waging “undeclared martial law.” He has also demanded that the courts intervene to stop its repression.

But in less than a week, his Movement for Justice party — the onetime juggernaut that propelled the former cricket star to power in 2018 on an anti-corruption platform, drew boisterous throngs to his comeback rallies and then trounced the ruling party in a key provincial race — has been abruptly forced to a halt.

The army, enraged and humiliated when military installations and symbols were vandalized during the protests after Khan’s arrest May 9 on long-standing charges of financial corruption, has branded some rioters as terrorists, while police have detained hundreds of protesters and leaders of Khan’s party.

With approval from civilian authorities, the army has ordered that alleged rioters be tried in military courts, a measure that has rarely been invoked in peacetime but was employed during a spate of terrorist attacks more than a decade ago. Khan and his aides have denied orchestrating any violence and have suggested that saboteurs were planted among unarmed protesters.

But over the past several days, scores of Khan’s aides, party legislators and longtime supporters have abruptly announced they are quitting. Some seemed dazed and defeated by repeated arrests. Others said they were disturbed by the attacks on military targets, especially the torching of a general’s home and the damage to plaques honoring slain soldiers.

On Saturday, a key co-founder of Khan’s party, Imran Ismail, announced he was severing his ties with the former premier. While fondly recalling the early days of their political partnership, he condemned the recent violence, praised the military and said he had become concerned about the party being labeled “anti-army.”

Ismail issued his statement shortly after being released from custody and cleared of charges by an anti-terrorism court.

Among the most important associates to leave Khan is Shireen Mazari, 57, an outspoken nationalist hawk who was his cabinet minister for human rights. She has been arrested and jailed repeatedly since May 9.

On Thursday, the tough-minded politician spoke with uncharacteristic emotion as she announced she was quitting politics for good, stunning viewers across the country. At a subdued news conference, she condemned the violence but said her ordeal in custody had been too stressful for her family. “My mother, children and health are now my priority,” she said.

Khan’s “brinkmanship with the army has boomeranged,” the political analyst Zahid Hussain wrote in Dawn newspaper on Friday. Although the ex-premier has been freed from jail, Hussain wrote, “the noose is tightening around him.”

Hussain said Khan thought he could “use street power to topple the establishment.” But those tactics backfired, he wrote, giving security forces license to unleash a “vicious clampdown” on civilians — to the benefit of the politicians who maneuvered to drive him from power.

“This is his moment of truth,” Hussain wrote.

Khan on Friday offered to hold “immediate talks” with military and civilian leaders, but there was no indication his 11th-hour olive branch would be accepted. He also tweeted a sarcastic thank you to the army for banning him from traveling abroad, saying he preferred to hike in Pakistan’s mountains. The army has banned dozens of his associates from leaving the country.

Khan has also appealed for support from lawmakers in Washington. Members of the House Congressional Pakistan Caucus have denounced alleged abuses during the mass arrests and detentions that have continued since May 9, when Khan was forcibly removed from a court hearing and jailed.

In tweets on Friday, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.), the caucus chairwoman, said she was “extremely concerned” about the repeated arrests of Khan and the reported abuse of Pakistanis who expressed “peaceful opposition” to the government. She said she would ask President Biden and Secretary of State Antony Blinken to “insist” that such abuses end.

Former secretary of state and CIA director Mike Pompeo tweeted that Pakistan’s government should treat Khan “according to the law.”

But sympathy for Khan in Washington has fallen sharply since his ouster, when he accused the U.S. government of conspiring with his rivals in Parliament and imposing an “imported” regime on the country. U.S. officials denied the accusations and Khan eventually backed off, shifting blame to the army chief at the time.

The Biden administration has maintained businesslike relations with the current Pakistani government led by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. During the Cold War and the start of the war on terror, the United States forged a close military alliance with Pakistan, a nuclear-armed country of 231 million people. Those relations have soured in recent years, however, as U.S. officials accused Pakistan of harboring Taliban forces and Pakistan established closer ties with China.

Court releases Khan, easing tensions for now

Khan initially enjoyed the tacit support of the military, according to Michael Kugelman, a South Asia specialist at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington. In tweets and in emailed comments to The Washington Post, he said Khan later became a “Frankenstein monster” who turned against his creators.

Army leaders are reluctant to intervene directly in power as they have in the past, Kugelman said. They have opted instead to “squeeze” Khan by pressuring his allies to abandon him. As a result, he said, Khan has been reduced to a “keyboard warrior” on social media. “It appears that the monster has been tamed.”

The crisis has thrown plans for national elections in October into uncertainty, probably leaving the country without an elected leader for months as the nation faces grave economic challenges. Khan has repeatedly accused the government of delaying the vote since his party won a stunning upset in a provincial race in Lahore, Sharif’s stronghold.

At a Supreme Court hearing Saturday on election rules, the chief justice questioned how long delays could be tolerated. A lawyer for the election commission countered that the rising “political temperature” required a “reassessment” of election dates.

The continuing defections of senior aides and influential supporters from Khan’s party have fueled more uncertainty. Some associates, who left traditional dynastic parties to join Khan’s populist crusade, have said they will return to their old groups. Others have said they will leave politics permanently.

Jamshid and Musarrat Cheema, senior party officials who have decided to leave Khan’s movement, told journalists they were particularly upset by the vandalism and violence aimed at the military.

“It was our failure they we couldn’t control the [protesters],” Jamshid said. “I feel badly when I see the pictures of the martyrs,” the slain soldiers whose plaques outside army headquarters were defaced.

Musarrat, his wife, said she had entered politics to serve the public, but “things took a wrong turn. … We never talked against the army and we want a prosperous Pakistan.”

Some analysts say it is too soon to write Khan’s political obituary. Opposition to the Sharif government is widespread and the security crackdown has drawn outrage.

Farrukh Habib, a young activist in Khan’s party who spoke in a video from an undisclosed location on Saturday, denounced “grave human violations” by security forces. At a time of economic crisis, he said, the government’s “sole concern” is to destroy the party and push Khan out of politics.

“We have respect for the martyrs who sacrificed for the country, but the government wants to take advantage of the situation and ban Khan because it cannot defeat him in elections,” Habib declared. If the polls were held today, he said, Khan “would win a clear majority.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/05/28/imran-khan-pakistan-army/

Jamshaid Dasti meets Imran, pledges allegiance to PTI

Former PTI MNA Jamshaid Dasti has met former prime minister Imran Khan and asserted that he is standing with the PTI chairman.

Sharing a purported picture from the meeting, he tweeted, “Even the question of leaving the party does not arise. Those who are leaving the party, some are compelled to [while] some are businessmen.”

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Khyber Pakhtunkhwa president and former chief minister resigned from party positions, ARY News reported.

As per details, the PTI leader said that he had already condemned the attacks on military installations on May 9 after the arrest of former prime minister Imran Khan.

Pervez Khattak said that he will decide on his future plans after consultation with colleagues. What happened on May 9 was not good for the country and it should not be repeated.

Looks like Khan is all alone now. He is in a far worst position than 2011, even his loyal 1996 founding party members have abandoned him. I don't know what threats they received or if they were told something by the establishment that no one knows yet. But Khan is now 70 years old, he cannot run the entire party or manage the party affairs by himself.

PTI's support has been untested since the May 9 events.

After Pervez Khattak, Buzdar also quits politics. This is ending way too fast!

PTI: inna lillahi wa innna li rajiun

Buzdar left

You lose when you give up. Imran Khan should show patience and tolerate this onslaught. All he has to do is survive this onslaught.

If military court trials start against IK that will work in his favour as that trial will be most watched trial of recent time and even internationally the cause will be spread like wild fire which will bring consequences for those in power which can even be diplomatic isolation from countries and sale of local assets to repay external loans. If IK is executed then consequences will be even worse as local public will then stand up again. The best they can do is disqualify IK but then again if he is out in open he still would remain a threat and to disqualify IK there needs to a proper case with Supreme court backing that decision. Interesting times ahead as all moves will now be called by people in power including PDM whilst Imran has to wait and watch how things unfold.

You lose when you give up. Imran Khan should show patience and tolerate this onslaught. All he has to do is survive this onslaught.

If military court trials start against IK that will work in his favour as that trial will be most watched trial of recent time and even internationally the cause will be spread like wild fire which will bring consequences for those in power which can even be diplomatic isolation from countries and sale of local assets to repay external loans. If IK is executed then consequences will be even worse as local public will then stand up again. The best they can do is disqualify IK but then again if he is out in open he still would remain a threat and to disqualify IK there needs to a proper case with Supreme court backing that decision. Interesting times ahead as all moves will now be called by people in power including PDM whilst Imran has to wait and watch how things unfold.

Love your optimism mate

But it is game over

I see that posters here seem to think there is a dawn after the onslaught, you guys clearly think Establishment is just the COAS, it’s a network of people at the high end and even the next one would be part of the Establishment.

Only one who could had change the status quo were the Pakistani citizens themselves but i wouldn’t blame them for not coming out either, it’s almost a semi-martial law.

As I said before only option seems to be rally behind COAS and actually let them rule directly and hope for economic turnaround with hep of technocrats.

I see that posters here seem to think there is a dawn after the onslaught, you guys clearly think Establishment is just the COAS, it’s a network of people at the high end and even the next one would be part of the Establishment.

Only one who could had change the status quo were the Pakistani citizens themselves but i wouldn’t blame them for not coming out either, it’s almost a semi-martial law.

As I said before only option seems to be rally behind COAS and actually let them rule directly and hope for economic turnaround with hep of technocrats.

They dont want to rule directly. Since post Musharraf they have preferred ruling behind the scenes. This is what is referred to as a Hybrid regime.

The propaganda from PDM is that Hybrid regime started with PTI in 2018. This is not true as its been the case from 2008.

IK is the only politician calling for this system to go, as in the one who has the responsibility also has to have the power.

Ali Muhammad Khan Murad Saeed Yasmin Rashid Farukh Habib Mehmood Rasheed Aslam Iqbal Khadija Shah Sadaqat Abbasi all with IK hopefully some normalcy will resume that is your core team to work with

I have never seen a political party crumble within a month. Either the establishment is really good at playing 4D chess or PTI leaders were opportunists who ran away as soon as the going gets tough.

Anyone expecting PTI to make a comeback is similar to expecting the last 2 batsmen to chase down 200 runs in 10 overs. It's all over for the skipper.

I have never seen a political party crumble within a month. Either the establishment is really good at playing 4D chess or PTI leaders were opportunists who ran away as soon as the going gets tough.

Anyone expecting PTI to make a comeback is similar to expecting the last 2 batsmen to chase down 200 runs in 10 overs. It's all over for the skipper.

To be honest, the kind of crackdown and pressure everyone in the party faced has been unprecedented and when your wives, children, parents are threatened then anyone would crumble. I don't think any previous dictators have ever gone this far before desperately to clean up a political party.

To be honest, the kind of crackdown and pressure everyone in the party faced has been unprecedented and when your wives, children, parents are threatened then anyone would crumble. I don't think any previous dictators have ever gone this far before desperately to clean up a political party.

Does the word Zia ring a bell ? Bhutto was actually killed and yet his party is here

Sharing this link umpteen times here. There is a serious reality check needed for this really young country to know it's harsh past.

Do you think the establishment will abduct and kill hundreds of its own citizens in these times when everyone has a camera on their phone?

To me it looks like PTI leaders are cowards who are too afraid to go to jail. They took the easy way out.

Does the word Zia ring a bell ? Bhutto was actually killed and yet his party is here

Sharing this link umpteen times here. There is a serious reality check needed for this really young country to know it's harsh past.

Javed Hashmi went to prison and survived and this guy went head on with the establishment when the army officially ruled the country.

Back