How can Pakistan win or save the first Test against New Zealand at Christchurch?

GLORY OF '92

ODI Debutant
Runs
Ok so we had an awful day. But it is still recoverable but we need to strike early and get NZ 5 or 6 down in the first session. If we keep them to 220 say and then the pitch flattens out we can still score 300+ here. However if NZ get 300+ then we are goners I think.

Ok so we had an awful day. But it is still recoverable but we need to strike early and get NZ 5 or 6 down in the first session. If we keep them to 220 say and then the pitch flattens out we can still score 300+ here. However if NZ get 300+ then we are goners I think.

The pitch is already flat: the challenge is swing when the sky gets cloudy.

Three wickets by Lunch would mean 195-6. Knock over the tail in another 20 overs for 260 all out. Then reach 30-0 by Tea and 130-2 by the close on Day 3, scores are level.

Bat until 10 overs before the end of Day 4, then declare at 430-6, setting NZ 300 to win on Day 5.

if nz gets more than 100 hundred lead game over for pak..we cant recover then knwoilng our hx of collapse.

TBH looking bad for Pakistan.

No international team can go into a 2 match Test series with this kind of preparation.

Contrast with the England tour.

I give Pakistan a 10% chance of coming out of this match without a loss.

What we need is to take quick wickets in the first session. We should ideally look to restrict them to under 200.

Then if we can make over 300 with the bat it is game on.

TBH looking bad for Pakistan.

No international team can go into a 2 match Test series with this kind of preparation.

Contrast with the England tour.

I give Pakistan a 10% chance of coming out of this match without a loss.

do u think nz batting is reliable enough to score 300 on this tract...i think in the morning fresh fast bowlers caan knock them out??/

NZ is too strong for us in their home soil.They will take this series 2-0

For win
bowl out kiwis under 200 at max in 1st session tomorow,
score atleast 270 to 300 in next 3 odd sessions and set kiwis minimum 200 target, then shoot out them under that score,
For draw,
bowl out nz under 300 till tea tomorow then play out next 5 sessions atleast and score around 450 minimum, which will set kiwis a 280 plus target in 2 sessions and pak can defend that by bowling dry and setting defensive fields, and if kiwis really try to force the issue then pak can even bundle them out in 2 sessions theoretically.
But as of now there is 10 percent chance of draw, 20 percent pak win but 70 new zeland win. You don't win many test after getting all out under 150 no matter how hard the conditions are. But it's not beyond pak, and nz can also help pak cause by self destructing batting as well.

We have lost already. Nothing is going to happen.

Yup. Let's just roll over and die. We should be playing division 4 cricket. Test cricket isn't for us :facepalm:

On a rather serious note, I'd say that since we've already got Taylor and Williamson out so we should be able to get NZ under 220 odd. I'm saying this because cloud cover is expected all day tomorrow and humidity is forecast to be around 50-60% therefore we should get swing throughout the day.

Apart from that this NZ batting lineup is mediocre to say the least, apart from Williamson and Taylor.

Get NZ out for under or at 200, that's conceding a 70 odd lead. Score 300-350, target of in between 230 and 280, and bowl them out, hopefully Yasir gets some turn by the 4th day.

By sending Asif through the next direct flight. [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]

Pakistan should be able to score 400+ if pitch keeps getting better to bat. 300 will be a poor score in those conditions. That may give some trouble to NZ when batting last in chase.

The first hour will provide swing and there is still a bit of green in the wicket. And it is a new day batsmen will have to start all over again. If we ball well we can get 3 wickets in the first hour of play. So if we can get them out at about 190-200 we can out bat NZ with the pitch easing out.

The first hour will provide swing and there is still a bit of green in the wicket. And it is a new day batsmen will have to start all over again. If we ball well we can get 3 wickets in the first hour of play. So if we can get them out at about 190-200 we can out bat NZ with the pitch easing out.

2nd test against India in 2014 series, NZ was bowled out cheaply on first day on green pitch. Then pitch became much easier to bat and we saw 438 and 680 scores next on the same test. Pakistan should be able to score 400+ easily if pitch changes it's nature same way. Anything less than that will be poor.

Big first session... as always. We can restrict these to 220. Then we need to muster 300 somehow.
Firstbsession is huge cos pitch will flatten out further so we need to make major iroads

I'm just hoping and praying for rain. That is the only thing that can save us..

2nd test against India in 2014 series, NZ was bowled out cheaply on first day on green pitch. Then pitch became much easier to bat and we saw 438 and 680 scores next on the same test. Pakistan should be able to score 400+ easily if pitch changes it's nature same way. Anything less than that will be poor.

Exactly. Pile on the runs.

Idk man. Raval and Nicholls looked really solid. :azhar Like vice captain during his triple century solid.

All is not lost yet, people just need to wait and see the result instead of saying "we lost" "might as well go home". We are in a tricky situation but we've been in tricky situations in the past as well.

The rise in tests is over. Now the fall phase is here.

What goes up, must come down.

New Zealand to win 2-0 and Australia to win 3-0

Key must be to restrict NZ's lead to as low as possible tomorrow. New Zealand have got a soft bowling attack, in the sense that they are brilliant seam and swing bowlers but lack the bite when the wicket goes flat apart from Wagner.

Matt Henry is someone who would have been very useful in such flat conditions but he isn't playing this match. Wagner is a bit like Wahab, Pakistan need to play him with a bit of caution and try to make a huge 2nd innings score. Then it will put Pakistan in a position of dominance in the final innings.

NZ's lower order doesnt seem that good on paper. Break this partnership early, and get stuck into the tail.

If we can restrict their lead to 50-80 runs, we have a chance.

Just cut your losses from this stage.

Bowl NZ out for less than 250 and then bat to close out a draw in the 3rd innings.

There's no reason why we can't do it, the pitch should ease out and this is a four day game. Maybe more rain ahead too.

this match is almost NZ's; pakistan bowlers are not that good and pakistan batsmen are short of match practice in this environment; only a miracle can save Pakistan here

SA were in a similar position after Day 1 in the WACA Test.

We know how things turned out :rondu

Sorry but doesn't look good for Pakistan. Will be tough

It's a shame that Pakistan had to go into the first match without any real practice.

Unfortunate.

Pray for rain

NZ likely makes around 370
And knowing us, we'll get bowled out for 99

Really we should keep them to 250 max as 2 best players are out. But reality is the beast Grandhomme will get runs too.

If the conditions are helpful for the bowlers in the morning session, I feel (hope) we can limit them to a comparatively small lead and then bat better in the second innings. Their remaining batsmen barring Watling are largely inexperienced so a couple of mistakes can help us get back into the game as well.

200-225 will be not easy to chase. NZ has a shaky batting line up.

Right was always confident about the bowling dismissing them for around 220 odd.
This is the jittery bit for me though. Who is going to stand upnand get us to 300. Cos that is what we need minimum.
InshaAllah pitch will ease out and we will bat big and set it up for shah on day 5.
At the moment anything can happen

We have lost already. Nothing is going to happen.

We were not number 1 ranked team for no reason. I said earlier restrict them to 200 and then make 300+. First part done and I dont even think we need 300. If we set them anything above 200 we will have a real chance.

Bat the whole day (next 2 sessions) without losing more than 5 wickets.

Then bat first session minmimim but ideally 2.

Pak will get around 300 -320 leaving NZ 240 odd to chase.

But A long way to go yet, NZ have a good advantage at this stage.

Unlikely now. Only hope is to add another 80 but I expect 3 quick wickets and NZ to chase down about 80 or 90.

I wasn't wrong when I predicted that our only saviour would be the weather.

Can't expect flat track bullies like Younis and Azhar to do anything on surfaces like these. Babar fought hard, Misbah can be forgiven for a rare failure and Asad as usual displayed his exemplary technique which amounted to a single digit score.

It's looking highly unlikely - but if we are to win this the tail needs to contribute with the bat and Shafiq needs to score at least a 50...

Just admit they are second best and the defecit in the first innings meant they were always fighting an uphill cause

Regroup hire another foreign manager bring back riaz and babar and try and hit the likes of Corey Anderson and Ross Taylor with pace and bouncers in the next match

NZ is going to win it easily with 7 wickets in hand unless rain arrives.

However, I want NZ to win this one. Pakistan should not win this test if they can't cross 150 even once in a test.

Need to win the next one though. Would be a much better showing than our neighbors in a foreign country, yet again.

The pitch is already flat: the challenge is swing when the sky gets cloudy.

Three wickets by Lunch would mean <b>195-6</b>. Knock over the tail in another <b>20 overs</b> for <b>260 all out</b>. Then reach <b>30-0 by Tea</b> and <b>130-2</b> by the <b>close on Day 3</b>, scores are level.

<b>Bat until 10 overs</b> before the end of Day 4, then declare at <b>430-6</b>, setting NZ 300 to win on Day 5.

That is a lot of very precise fantasizing!

Back