ICC World Cup 2023: Bangladesh (282/7) defeat Sri Lanka (279) by 3 wickets in a match marred by controversy

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1699198608722.png

Injuries to key players has hurt Sri Lanka's World Cup campaign, but the Island nation can still qualify for the semi-finals with victories over Bangladesh and New Zealand over the next week.

They will also need a host of other results to fall their way, but for now all they can concentrate on is registering a third win of the tournament by defeating fellow Asian side Bangladesh.

Bangladesh's sole victory at the World Cup came in their opening fixture against Afghanistan in Dharamsala and six straight losses since that match has left Shakib Al Hasan's side without any hope of qualifying for the semi-finals.

They do still have plenty to play though and will be keen to put a dent in Sri Lanka's chances by picking up their second triumph of what has been a disappointing campaign.

Veterans Litton Das, Mahmudullah and Shakib will be relied upon to score freely for Bangladesh, while Sri Lanka will look to the likes of Pathum Nissanka, Sadeera Samarawickrama and skipper Kusal Mendis to get going with the bat.

Spin is likely to be a major factor in this clash, with Shakib to lead Bangladesh's slow bowling attack and players in the ilk of Maheesh Theekshana and Dunith Wellalage sure to be prominent for Sri Lanka.

When: November 06, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi

Teams

Sri Lanka:

Kusal Mendis's squad initially featured Dushan Hemantha instead of Dhananjaya de Silva when facing India, but the legspinner struggled, leading to considerations about whether to reinstate de Silva or possibly opt for Dunith Wellalage. Additionally, there is the option of replacing Dimuth Karunaratne with Kusal Perera.

In terms of tactics and strategy, it could be advantageous for Sri Lanka to utilize Chameera during the middle overs, especially when facing Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim. Chameera has a favorable track record against them, having dismissed both players on two occasions, and Bangladeshi batsmen have faced challenges in scoring runs against him. Dilshan Madhushanka, who is in good form, also presents a significant threat to Bangladesh, given their susceptibility to left-arm pace in 2023. Bangladesh has lost a total of 34 wickets to left-arm pace, the highest among all teams, and within the context of this World Cup, their 13 dismissals to left-arm pace are the second highest, surpassed only by Australia's 14.

Bangladesh:

On the eve of the game, Mushfiqur Rahim experienced an injury scare when he was struck on the hand while facing a throwdown. He managed to face two more deliveries before ending his practice session and was later observed applying ice to his injured hand. However, the team management remains optimistic about his availability for the upcoming game. In the event Rahim is unable to continue as the wicketkeeper, Litton Das is prepared to take over behind the stumps. Furthermore, there's the possibility of Mahedi Hasan or Nasum Ahmed stepping in, and should they decide to exclude Tanzid Hasan, Mehidy Hasan Miraz could open the innings.

In terms of tactics and strategy, Kusal Mendis has faced difficulties against certain Bangladeshi bowlers, having been dismissed twice each by Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, and Shakib. Consequently, Bangladesh may consider focusing their bowling attack on these three when the Sri Lankan captain is at the crease. Additionally, Shoriful Islam could be a suitable option to challenge Pathum Nissanka and Kusal Perera.

Squads:

Sri Lanka Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w/c), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Angelo Mathews, Dushan Hemantha, Dushmantha Chameera, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Kusal Perera, Chamika Karunaratne, Lahiru Kumara, Dunith Wellalage

Bangladesh Squad: Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Mahmudullah, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Towhid Hridoy, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Shoriful Islam, Nasum Ahmed, Mahedi Hasan, Hasan Mahmud, Tanzim Hasan Sakib

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

BD have to win this game because of 2 reasons:

1) Winning this may prevent them from finishing last (depends on NRR).

2) Winning this may even help them finish at 8th and thus secure CT 2025 qualification (again, depends on NRR if NED, SL, England, and BD are tied at 4 points).

This fixture should be billed as Asia's worst Bangladesh after being thrashed from Pakistan are kneeling for SL the less said the better they are in a trauma

If Air Quality is that bad, will this fixture be cancelled? Bit like abandoned due to rain with teams sharing points?

This match is just a dead rubber I guess. Each team will play for a consolation win. People are not interested in this game i think.

Only two reasons it may matter to some

1) Fantasy league
2) Bragging rights due to nagin rivalry

Bangladesh won the toss and chose to field first.

TEAMS:
Sri Lanka
(Playing XI): Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis(w/c), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Angelo Mathews, Dhananjaya de Silva, Maheesh Theekshana, Dushmantha Chameera, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka

Bangladesh (Playing XI): Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Mahmudullah, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Towhid Hridoy, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam

What a catch by Mushfiqur Rahim
After all these years he still has it.

Sri Lanka is 5-1 in the first over

Delhi pitch. I am guessing 330-350 is par here.

Tends to be a high-scoring ground.

This match is just a dead rubber I guess. Each team will play for a consolation win. People are not interested in this game i think.

CT 2025 qualification is at stake. Sri Lanka's qualification isn't confirmed yet.

Even BD have a chance if they can win this one (if BD win it, NED, SL, and BD can get tied to 4 points).

What happened to mendis?
After innings against pakistan he seems lost.
122 vs pak

match in our capital in one of the all time ugly stadiums world wide. That Pathetic stand has to be assembled by a steroid high octopus on skates, glorified Car park it is.

The one saving grace that the DDCA have done is paint out the ugly nasty and in your face useless paan masala advs and have painted that ugly edifice with some colour reflecting the WC and gives it a patina of respectability.
The internal politics of the DDCA and their scorpion mnded employees are the lowest pits putting even into shade the gadzillion guzzling BCCI cement heads who do nothing for spectator comfort, covered stands- better facilities for the paying spectator or improvement at the grass roots level.
And this is in our capital. No match should be played here till the whole stadium is dynamited to kingdom come and a modern gleaming stadium with improved spectator experience should be built here.
The sad part is we can do it, the obvious part is we wont.

CT 2025 qualification is at stake. Sri Lanka's qualification isn't confirmed yet.

Even BD have a chance if they can win this one (if BD win it, NED, SL, and BD can get tied to 4 points).
Losing this match will do a lot of good for Pakistan i guess. In case SL loses this one, they might have to win the next one against NZ to make a case for CT 2025. This will help Pakistan big time.

Delhi shouldn't host an ICC event game from next time, unless pollution problem improves.

This is a health hazard for the players.

Shakib has done it for his team. Smarawickrama is gone. Sri Lanka is 4 down now for 135

Angelo took too long. BD are appealing for timed out. Wow!

Never seen a time out in cricket before.

If Sri Lanka are 135-4 in 24.2 overs against Bangladesh, what chances do we have for Sri Lanka beating NZ :(

I watch cricket since 1997 and I have never seen a timed out before. This is the first time.

Angelo Matthews - timed out (a form of cricket dismissal).

is this first time for a timed out? gee whiz....
in the meantime the stadium DJ with the truckies toothbrush - Daler with tunuk tun -
as Tony would say - 'its all happening at the premadasa/sharjah/oval/kotla'....:)

Never seen a time out wicket in my entire life. Horrible sportsmanship. Basically a dead rubber match and the guy is having trouble with the helmet strap and you appeal to have him out without facing a ball.

Mathews has been given Timed out. Sri Lanka 5 down now. this has never happened in International cricket before i guess,

Basically, a batter has to be ready to face the ball in 2 minutes. Otherwise, he can get timed out.

I feel like BD should've withdrawn the appeal. It was not needed.
they wanted to look like heroes by taking back their mankad in a bilateral series
but for a dead rubber.. they want to do this

huh

Thank you Bangladesh for enforcing rules of cricket. Without rules we are nothing but animals. Bangladesh has done a great service to cricket today, about time umpires got strict with enforcement of the rule book.

Thank you Bangladesh for enforcing rules of cricket. Without rules we are nothing but animals. Bangladesh has done a great service to cricket today, about time umpires got strict with enforcement of the rule book.

Angelo had a genuine reason. His helmet had an issue.

Umpire shouldn't have given it out. For this type of dismissal, umpires should consider the context too.

maybe sakib is tired of the dirty delhi air and just wants to wrap it up quick

I think BD should/will reconsider their decision and call AM to bat again
I hope so. If they do it will be one of those YouTube videos that gets 10,000,000 views and talks about how great sportsmanship is. If they don’t, people are going to criticize this decision forever.

Shakib is an all time great all-rounder

Why is he hell bent on tarnishing his legacy- he already has to a degree but is tarnishing it more with each passing day

Can they take the appeal back now or not?

Since 'Mankad'
was mentioned earlier, i am posting this.

Calling that kind of dismissal a 'Mankad' is a diss service to the Mankad's, a fine three generation of cricketers and tennis players.
All of them played with restraint in victory and dignity in defeat, much in the spirit of how you would want your child to play the game.
It is a travesty that the name Mankad is associated with something like a Bowlers runout or a bowlers back up run out or some fancy jargon can be used to describe this dismissa, which has the the connotations of unsportsmanlike behaviour by the BATSMAN WHO IS RUNNING AHEAD TO GAIN AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, not the bowler.
In a tour match in 1948-9 India tour of Australia, vs Victoria - Vinoo Mankad was bowling. The non striker Bill Brown started running BEFORE the ball was delivered, therby cheating and taking an unfair advantage.

Vinoo Mankad WARNED him then and there and could have run him out but he didnt. If anything, it was fair dinkum sportsmanlike behaviour by the Indian.

In the test match that followed, Australian batsman Bill Brown did the same thing, i e take a running start BEFORE the ball was delivered, there by taking an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE. Vinoo Mankad removed the bails as is well within the rules.

This form of dismissal was the first time then and unfairly called 'Mankaded' just because Mankad is a catchy name, and it stuck.

It should be called 'BROWNED'.

It is a travesty that the fair name of the Mankad's be dragged into the dirt like this and associated with somethiing that has the faintest trappings of unsports man like behaviour.

The Mankads gave us Vinoo his Son Ashok who also played TC and grandson Harsh who played Davis cup for India.

They played with their head held high, in true sportsman spirit.

Its time we dis associate the name Mankaded from this dismissal and thereby do our least to undo the wrong that has been done on this name.

All I have to say is that one of Sri Lanka’s fast bowlers better go out there in the next innings and make Shakib regret his decision.

Wow that was pathetic from the Bangladeshi loser captain.
How can they stoop this low.
I really hope Bangladesh loses very bad today.

Angelo had a genuine reason. His helmet had an issue.

Umpire shouldn't have given it out. For this type of dismissal, umpires should consider the context too.
Bro sometimes in tennis, players get exhausted after a 30 shots rally. But that doesn't stop the timer for next point to begin. Likewise with injuries, we saw how Alcaraz wasn't able to move at all in the French Open, he called a medical officer, got penalized one game by the umpire.

In chess there is something called touch move. If you touch a piece accidentally without saying j'adouble you have to move that piece in your move. Many tragedies have happened because of this rule including in high level tournaments like candidates, but such is sport, such is life.

Your opinion @MMHS ?

All i know is if my team Inda did this form of dismissal especially after listeing to batsmen explanation about helmet strap not functioning etc, i would be filthy on my team.

If my team India's batsmen took a head start running before the bowler delivered or started his action, and bowler removed the bails -to effect a 'BOWLERS RUN OUT, NOT MANKADED' i would accept it and be filthy on my country's batsman who tried to take an unfair advantage by running before ball was delivered. i would think he/she deserved the dismissal.

Lets leave the nationalistic lenses out of this and approach with the passion and clarify of the true cricket fan.

SL - 189/5 (33.5 overs).

SL are looking good for a big score despite the timed out drama. It probably fired them up.

I believe Bangladesh still can withdraw the appeal and allow Angelo to return. That would be the right thing to do.

I remember Ian Bell was controversially given run-out in a Test match (against India). India withdrew the appeal at lunch and Bell was allowed to resume his innings.

Sarcasm?

This drama has taken the focus away from the game.

BD players also seem distracted.

I hope Lankans unfurl the naagin dance today....
Why? The appeal was in line what is defined in the rules..if it is so much against the rules, then ICC should modify the rule and leave it to umpire discretion

Why? The appeal was in line what is defined in the rules..if it is so much against the rules, then ICC should modify the rule and leave it to umpire discretion
There is nothing stopping in the game for me

There is nothing stopping in the game for me
There is nothing in the game or the rules, stopping a fielder to rugby tackle a batsman whilst fielding, but its not done is it?

Sri Lankans can rugby tackle the entire BD batting line up, break a few bones and nothing the umpires can do either.....

But its not cricket right?

Back