ICC World Cup 2023: India (261/3) remain unbeaten as they defeat Bangladesh (256/8) by 7 wickets

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1697649371134.png

A brief analysis of Indian batsmen's statistics highlights a significant vulnerability to left-arm finger spin, a skill that the Bangladesh captain, the linchpin of their team, has mastered. The upcoming World Cup match between India and Bangladesh carries particular significance in this context. In ODIs since 2022, Indian batsmen have fallen victim to left-arm spinners 42 times, in contrast to 21 and 24 wickets taken by leg-spinners and off-spinners, respectively.

Shakib Al Hasan would naturally find encouragement in this statistic, but there's a twist. The participation of the Bangladesh captain in the game at Maharashtra Cricket Stadium in Gahunje, located just 30 kilometers from Pune, is uncertain due to a left quadriceps injury. The Bangladesh management has not confirmed his availability for the match.

Virat Kohli commented on Shakib, stating, "He's got amazing control. He's a very experienced bowler. He bowls very well with the new ball, knows how to deceive the batsman, and is also very economical. You have to play your best against all these bowlers." Shakib has taken 10 wickets in four games against India since 2022, averaging 18 with a strike rate of 24.

The Indian team has declared that they do not have a specific strategy to counter Shakib, and his participation is inconsequential to them. India's bowling coach, Paras Mhambrey, mentioned, "Honestly, I don't think any conversation that we have out here, we know he is a good player. He has done well for Bangladesh, he is a champion player, he is handy, he bats for the team, he bowls well, he bowls in the powerplay, he's a quality bowler, and I think you got to give that to him. But for us really it doesn't really..."

Setting aside the Shakib factor, the Bangladesh team has found ways to challenge even the strongest Indian teams. Recent statistics indicate Bangladesh's improved performance in this fixture. They have won three of their last four ODIs against India, with victories occurring in bilateral matches and the recent Asia Cup fixture, which was of lesser significance.

This is not just a bilateral or dead rubber situation; it's a live World Cup contest. The Indian team is currently in excellent form, with their batters, led by Rohit Sharma, in an aggressive mood, and their bowlers, spearheaded by Jasprit Bumrah and Kuldeep Yadav, operating with precision. All signs point to India being the favorites, but a strong performance from Bangladesh should not be ruled out.

When: October 19, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune

Teams

India:

Due to the limited dimensions of the Pune Stadium, the possibility of adding an additional spinner to the Indian team is unlikely, and it appears that the XI that competed against Pakistan on October 14 will remain unchanged.

Bangladesh:

The composition of the Bangladesh XI is currently a significant puzzle, especially given the uncertainty surrounding the captain's availability. To address this, there is a potential consideration of replacing the out-of-form Tanzid Hasan with Mehidy Hasan Miraz, who could be promoted to the opening position. Additionally, there may be an opportunity for Tanzim Hasan Sakib to be included in the team.

Squads:

India Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Ravichandran Ashwin

Bangladesh Squad: Litton Das, Tanzid Hasan, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Towhid Hridoy, Mahmudullah, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Shoriful Islam, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Hasan Mahmud, Mahedi Hasan, Nasum Ahmed

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
India should play another batsman instead of Fraud thakur
Rohit
Gill
King
Iyer
Rahul
Ishan
Pandya
Jadeja
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj/ Shami

Rohit / Virat / Iyer can Bowl 2-3 if they needed.

India should play another batsman instead of Fraud thakur
Rohit
Gill
King
Iyer
Rahul
Ishan
Pandya
Jadeja
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj/ Shami

Rohit / Virat / Iyer can Bowl 2-3 if they needed.
I am also surprised by the preference given to Shardul Thakur over Ashwin.

Bangladesh is in for a whopping that will hurt for a few months. I expect Hitman to have an absolute field day with the popgun that Bangladesh will attempt to take aim at him with. I only fear complacency from the victory in this game to lead to some adverse outcome in the remaining games.

I am also surprised by the preference given to Shardul Thakur over Ashwin.
Thakur is getting special treatment all the time .he is a nothing player .
If Indian team needs another pacers then they should play Shami ,if they need another spinners then Ashwin has to play.
I'm not sure when was thakur bowled full 10 over . He is just wasting a spot .

India should win.

But, Bangladesh have been giving good fights to India over the last few years (quite a few close games).

Hoping for a good game.

Bangladesh is in for a whopping that will hurt for a few months. I expect Hitman to have an absolute field day with the popgun that Bangladesh will attempt to take aim at him with. I only fear complacency from the victory in this game to lead to some adverse outcome in the remaining games.

Last 4 ODIs between these two sides: BD won 3 and India won 1.

Rohit played in 3 out of 4 those games.

India should win.

But, Bangladesh have been giving good fights to India over the last few years (quite a few close games).

Hoping for a good game.
Three of them were in Bangladesh and one was dead rubber in Asia cup where half of Indian team rested.
But one things is sure Bangladesh always raise their game when they are playing against India .

Three of them were in Bangladesh and one was dead rubber in Asia cup where half of Indian team rested.
But one things is sure Bangladesh always raise their game when they are playing against India .
You better get ready for defeat tomorrow and stop making excuses.

It has good chance of being a close game. BD has done well against us in Asia.
Don’t underestimate BD , I hope Rohit isn’t.

3-1 in WC for India

3-1 in 2023 for BD

……. I say CLOSE. Be very afraid of the wounded real tiger.

😜

India could field their women's side and still walk this encounter.
Our women drew a series with their women this year, was heartbreaking.
They actually give most competition to India among Asian teams.

India could field their women's side and still walk this encounter.

India played their bench players in Asia Cup. Lost.

India came to BD with a depleted side. Lost 1-2.

Playing bench players would be risky.

this will be a walk in the park for India. BD can compete with India but definitely not in India. They will get whooped for sure.

Game is in Pune. This is better for BD because Pune pitch tends to be sluggish and it suits BD.

If pitch is flat, India can score 400+ and bat BD out of the game.

Game is in Pune. This is better for BD because Pune pitch tends to be sluggish and it suits BD.

If pitch is flat, India can score 400+. Sluggish pitch reduces the gap between these two sides.
I could be wrong but i think its the opposite, you have same strengths as India but we have it better overall.

You have to exploit our weakness not strength.

I could be wrong but i think its the opposite, you have same strengths as India but we have it better overall.

You have to exploit our weakness not strength.

Flat pitch is the worst for BD.

If it is sluggish/turning, it gives them an outside chance.

If pitch is flat, India can score 400+ and bat BD out of the game.
From where you get information about Pune pitch? Pune pitch is batter friendly pitch and lowest score in odi here is 230 .Average First Innings Score is 307 .

From where you get information about Pune pitch? Pune pitch is batter friendly pitch and lowest score in odi here is 230 .Average First Innings Score is 307 .

It is more sluggish compared to other places in India (Delhi, Mumbai etc.). Correct me if I am wrong.

307 is not high. That's my point.

It is more sluggish compared to other places in India (Delhi, Mumbai etc.). Correct me if I am wrong.
Mumbai pitch is always batter friendly but before world cup Delhi pitch used to be spin friendly where avarage score was around 230 .
Only 7 ODI match were played in Pune but still a high-scoring pitch. Pace bowlers will be more effective here rather than spinners .

BD bowling is not bad although stats look bad. Good all round attack. But their batting is not up to the mark atleast so far.

Any news about dew effect?
Historically it happens. Not sure how it is in october. Sam Curran belted 95 in a losing cause as the batting got better and better. Then Stokes made 99 and 50 balls while chasing and they hunted down 336. I presume India will field first should the win the toss. Also so far no match has happened here. Most memorable chase was in 2017. Chasing 350 against England India was 63/4 all big guns missing. Kohli and Jadhav put up a double century parntership in 25 overs. That was some chase by India. Chasing advantage definitely.

Last 4 ODIs between these two sides: BD won 3 and India won 1.

Rohit played in 3 out of 4 those games.
How consequential were those games? Yes Bangladesh can get one past us, but at the end of the day they are the perineal minnows, up against a team that is approaching this game with serious purpose.

Historically it happens. Not sure how it is in october. Sam Curran belted 95 in a losing cause as the batting got better and better. Then Stokes made 99 and 50 balls while chasing and they hunted down 336. I presume India will field first should the win the toss. Also so far no match has happened here. Most memorable chase was in 2017. Chasing 350 against England India was 63/4 all big guns missing. Kohli and Jadhav put up a double century parntership in 25 overs. That was some chase by India. Chasing advantage definitely.
Yes man how can I forget that series as it had costed us champion trophy bcz we selected yuvi and jhadav based on that series performance.
If dew came then it's better to bowl first but pacers can enjoyed the bowling under the light. It's a open ground so breeze also can help Pacers. .

Haha, I mean sure I’d really enjoy it. But I just got an inkling Bangladeshi boys will turn up tomorrow, with a decent batting performance and spring a surprise.
There was a brief transient moment in Bangladesh cricket history when they threatened to be competitive and even possibly rise to be the second most formidable ODI side in Asia. Alas that moment was brief, it has passed, and its memories are fast fading. It’s business as usual with our eastern brothers: show up, get tonked about, pass the buck onto partisan umpiring or pitch or luck or what have you, and then return home for the next drubbing.

This should be a cake;)walk for Ind. Absolute faves here. Just wish teams were more aggressive and sledgy towards Ind. Bored with the friendly stuff lol ! Need a nagin dance after each wicket. Need Rubel Husain cursing Kohli , not the other way round:). And let Kohli respond. That's the essence of sport , of playing for your country. The opposite team is a foe. Miss the 99-07 Aussie team - and Ind sledging them back.. Bang actually has a very decent team though and if Shakib clicks he can make it tough for Ind. But yeah this should be a breeze for Ind. Hope Thakur is picked and smacked for 50 in 3 overs, so he's never picked again. Travesty that he even gets a place in this playing 11.

InshAllah Bangladesh can get the act together and bat well and win the game. Have to at their best against this strong Indian side at their own turf.

This is will be the first ever time me seeing Bangladesh play ODI match against India in India in my life time. BD never played ODI series in India.

Most likely India will smash them but if somehow Bangladesh do something here it will send shockwaves around the world.

Dude stop making excuses you lost asia cup match fair and square. dead rubber or not its still a win. BD also didn’t have Mushfiq and rested Taskin, Shoriful, had players missing, played with 2 seamers. Indian 2nd team is as good as BD main team. For BD losing regular names is more difficult challenge.

India is winning, 65%-35% in India’s favor…. Players to watch shubhman gill, Shreyas Iyer and Kuldeep Yadav

Last edited by a moderator:
BD played an ODI tri-series in India back in 1998. That was the last ODI they played against India in India.

It involved Kenya, Bangladesh, and India. Bangladesh actually had their first ODI win ever in that tournament (beating Kenya).

This was the series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_Coca-Cola_Triangular_Series#:~:text=The 1997–98 Coca-Cola,final to win the tournament.
I remember that series, India actually used to help associate teams back then, I remember even Zim coming often.

This might be the first and last time BD play ODI against them on their soil. So BD boys must take this chance and silence some critics and show what they missed in ODI sense instead of inviting lanka for series almost every year they could have invited BD in for 3 match series during Mashrafe era post 2015 wc.
BD played an ODI tri-series in India back in 1998. That was the last ODI they played against India in India.

It involved Kenya, Bangladesh, and India. Bangladesh actually had their first ODI win ever in that tournament (beating Kenya).

This was the series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_Coca-Cola_Triangular_Series#:~:text=The 1997–98 Coca-Cola,final to win the tournament.
that was even way before test BD status damn. It’s been almost 24 years of BD getting test status yet BCCI didn’t invite BD for a odi series. This match in itself is a historic match, a first ODI against them in their ground since BD gaining full membership. Am sure it will be a first for almost all of us here. Not sure if anyone saw that 98 triangular series.

that was even way before test BD status damn. It’s been almost 24 years of BD getting test status yet BCCI didn’t invite BD for a odi series. This match in itself is a historic match, a first ODI against them in their ground since BD gaining full membership. Am sure it will be a first for almost all of us here. Not sure if anyone saw that 98 triangular series.

I watched this tri-series but I was very young then (about 8 years old).

I started to watch cricket from 1997.

Dude stop making excuses you lost asia cup match fair and square. dead rubber or not its still a win. BD also didn’t have Mushfiq and rested Taskin, Shoriful, had players missing, played with 2 seamers. Indian 2nd team is as good as BD main team. For BD losing regular names is more difficult challenge.
It was a dead rubber and they were simply trying out Verma and Prasidh. Credit to BD for winning but that match is hardly indicative of anything.

Bangladesh always raise their game against India. A bit like how Afghanistan puts all their energy against Pakistan.

They have a well rounded bowling attack. Fielding and batting is their achilles heel.
Yes Shoriful is in good form. Taskin bowls well upfront but loses it when attacked. Shakib is class.
Will be difficult for India to bat them out of the game. Indian bowlers will have a role to play.

This should be a cake;)walk for Ind. Absolute faves here. Just wish teams were more aggressive and sledgy towards Ind. Bored with the friendly stuff lol ! Need a nagin dance after each wicket. Need Rubel Husain cursing Kohli , not the other way round:). And let Kohli respond. That's the essence of sport , of playing for your country. The opposite team is a foe. Miss the 99-07 Aussie team - and Ind sledging them back.. Bang actually has a very decent team though and if Shakib clicks he can make it tough for Ind. But yeah this should be a breeze for Ind. Hope Thakur is picked and smacked for 50 in 3 overs, so he's never picked again. Travesty that he even gets a place in this playing 11.
Don't worry your bogey team nz will give you
What you are looking for while being friendly.

What attack did he chase that against? Was the a full strength pom attack?

Jhadav is one of the most useless stat padding batsmen I have seen. He single handedly along with DInesh cost india the 2019 semi final.

What attack did he chase that against? Was the a full strength pom attack?

Jhadav is one of the most useless stat padding batsmen I have seen. He single handedly along with DInesh cost india the 2019 semi final.
That was a decent attack. Woakes, Willey, Stokes, Moeen, Adil Rashid, Jake ball.

I remember that series, we recalled Paras Mhambry, in one of the games we had tendulkar open the bowling, and what was particularly haunting about that series was the excessive heat in which that series was played.

I remember that series, we recalled Paras Mhambry, in one of the games we had tendulkar open the bowling, and what was particularly haunting about that series was the excessive heat in which that series was played.

If I remember correctly, Kenya defeated India in one of those games.

It was a nice little tri-series.

If Indian team needs another pacers then they should play Shami ,if they need another spinners then Ashwin has to play.
Should be "injured" and replaced by Prasidh Krishna in the squad

Just can’t imagine Bangladesh’s batting keeping up with India… but you never know, should be a fun game

One can never be sure of India winning anything when you have Jadeja at 7 and with Shardul in the XI.

At our best, we can beat anyone . But if this combination is exposed , even associates can fancy themselves.

This is actually quite an important game for us.

Bangladesh usually plays way above it's bar when playing against India and India always gets stuck against their spinners for some reason. If we somehow lose this, the pressure will be somewhat back on us to win a atleast 2 out of 3 against SAF/Eng/NZ at any cost.

Although if we win, we are pretty much in the semis already.

This is actually quite an important game for us.

Bangladesh usually plays way above it's bar when playing against India and India always gets stuck against their spinners for some reason. If we somehow lose this, the pressure will be somewhat back on us to win a atleast 2 out of 3 against SAF/Eng/NZ at any cost.

Although if we win, we are pretty much in the semis already.
India only needs 3 more wins to qualify and we haven't played SL and NED yet.

India only needs 3 more wins to qualify and we haven't played SL and NED yet.

But will 6 wins guarantee a top 4 finish though?. I reckon it will come down to NRR in that scenario so ideally we shouldn't go that route.

But will 6 wins guarantee a top 4 finish though?. I reckon it will come down to NRR in that scenario so ideally we shouldn't go that route.
With the couple of upsets we have had, apparently 6 wins will guarantee. Although tbh I haven't done the math. So you're probably right that only 7 wins guarantees qualifcation

Will there be a rendition of the Nagin dance today?

A nothing cricketer and still gets preferential treatment, don't know why?

Pakistani Actress Makes Bold Promise If Bangladesh Beat India In Cricket World Cup 2023​

Cricket World Cup 2023: Following Pakistan's humiliating defeat in Ahmedabad to hosts India on Saturday, an actress has pined her hopes on Bangladesh to take revenge and register India's first defeat in the 2023 World Cup taking place at home. Sehar Shinwari took on social media platform X (formerly known as Twitter) promising that she would go on a date with a Bangali boy if his team beat India in the upcoming World Cup game.

"InshAllah my Bangali Bandu will avenge us in the next match. I will go to Dhaka and have a fish dinner date with Bangali boy if their team managed to beat India," Sehar posted on X.

Bangladesh has always been competitive against India. Even more than Pakistan TBH. This match is going to be a good one and wanna see a close encounter today not just another 1 sided affair.

Pakistani Actress Makes Bold Promise If Bangladesh Beat India In Cricket World Cup 2023​

Cricket World Cup 2023: Following Pakistan's humiliating defeat in Ahmedabad to hosts India on Saturday, an actress has pined her hopes on Bangladesh to take revenge and register India's first defeat in the 2023 World Cup taking place at home. Sehar Shinwari took on social media platform X (formerly known as Twitter) promising that she would go on a date with a Bangali boy if his team beat India in the upcoming World Cup game.

"InshAllah my Bangali Bandu will avenge us in the next match. I will go to Dhaka and have a fish dinner date with Bangali boy if their team managed to beat India," Sehar posted on X.

If this doesn't motivate BD to beat India, nothing will.

Last 11 games :-

India 8 - Pakistan 2
India 6 - Bangladesh 5
Nowadays India-Bangladesh games become more competitive than India-Pakistan games.

Back