India (162/4) defeat West Indies (157/7) by 6 wickets to win 1st T20I

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
s India prepare to take on the West Indies in the three-match T20I series in Kolkata from February 16, Indian skipper Rohit Sharma believes it is only a matter of time before Virat Kohli rediscovers his sAcoring touch.

Overview

India vs West Indies, first T20I
Eden Gardens, Kolkata
February 16, 19:00 local

Ahead of the start of the T20I series against West Indies, much of the discourse around the Indian team has revolved around the form of former captain Virat Kohli. It has been over two years since Kohli has hit a century in international cricket with his last three-figure score coming at the same venue against Bangladesh in 2019. His lean patch continued in the ODI series against the visitors as he looked far from his sublime self.

But skipper Rohit Sharma has backed Kohli to rediscover his mojo, claiming all the chatter in the media is not helping his cause. Rohit said in his pre-match press conference: "If you guys can keep quiet for a while, I think he'll be alright. We don't need to do too much talking from your side, then everything will be taken care of. He is in a great mental space from whatever I see of him."

"He has been part of this international team for more than a decade. If someone has spent that much time in international cricket, they know how to handle the pressure situations, the environment, everything. It all starts from you guys. If you guys can keep it quiet for a bit, then everything will fall into place."

Apart from Kohli's form, the Indian side will be quietly confident from the ODI leg of the series to continue their form. There will be some changes in the ODI set-up, where the likes of Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ishan Kishan, Harshal Patel and Venkatesh Iyer could slot in. Bhuvneshwar Kumar could also return to add some experience to the bowling unit. Washington Sundar though has been ruled out after suffering a hamstring muscle strain.

For the visitors, the first concern will be the fitness of their skipper Kieron Pollard. The experienced all-rounder missed the final two ODIs with a niggle and West Indies will hope that he can make a comeback to add some firepower in their batting unit.

After their brilliant series victory against England at home, the visitors though will be much more confident of putting up a better fight in the T20Is and do have some dangerous players in their ranks to challenge the hosts.

In our new show, The ICC Review, Ponting pays tribute to Virat Kohli and reveals the conversation he had with India’s former skipper before his shock captaincy call.
Remember the last time

The two sides last faced off in a T20I series in 2019 which was hosted by India. It was a closely-fought series with India just edging the visitors 2-1. After winning the first contest by 6 wickets in Hyderabad, India lost the second match at Thiruvanthapuram by 8 wickets.

India finally sealed the decider in Mumbai, winning the contest by 67 runs after a Virat Kohli masterclass. Kohli scored a belligerent 29-ball 70 in the match, taking the West Indies bowlers to the cleaners. India posted a score of 240/3 on the board and then restricted the visitors to 173/8.

What they said:

Rohit Sharma (India captain): "The doors are open for everyone. We have not fixated on anyone. In Australia, we'll play in very different conditions. We'll need players of different skill sets. We need to prepare players accordingly, be it spin all-rounder, fast-bowling all-rounders or lower-order batters. We need to see the bowling options too, new ball, death overs, spinners in Powerplays, etc. Right now, we are dealing with the options we have."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2487078

T20 format gives West Indies a bit more chance but India should still win it comfortably.

India have won the toss and have opted to field

India (Playing XI): Ishan Kishan, Rohit Sharma(c), Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant(w), Venkatesh Iyer, Deepak Chahar, Shardul Thakur, Harshal Patel, Ravi Bishnoi, Yuzvendra Chahal

West Indies (Playing XI): Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Nicholas Pooran(w), Rovman Powell, Kieron Pollard(c), Roston Chase, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein, Odean Smith, Fabian Allen, Sheldon Cottrell

Last edited:
Why does the WI team generally looks like it has been punctured when it faces India?

I watched a few balls from the highlights on one of the games. Kemar Roach was given lbw with 9 wickets down. WI had 2 reviews but he didnt take the review. I was shocked.

There appears to be no zeal to win for WI. Either they are fixing matches or they are not interested in winning against India

Why does the WI team generally looks like it has been punctured when it faces India?

I watched a few balls from the highlights on one of the games. Kemar Roach was given lbw with 9 wickets down. WI had 2 reviews but he didnt take the review. I was shocked.

There appears to be no zeal to win for WI. Either they are fixing matches or they are not interested in winning against India

Except when thehre up against England and Australia, they look disinterested against every other team. It's just your confirmation bias talking..

Bishnoi is getting a game. Nice.

He was very effective during 2020 U19 World Cup.

World Cup is in Australia and we are auditioning Bhuvi Kumar, Thakur, Chahar and Harshal Patel. :)))

Just hope Rohit is testing who's the best bet at no.8 between Thakur/Chahar/Harshal to partner Bumrah and Siraj. Bhuvi should be replaced by either Natarajan or just use Tyagi/Umrah as a surprise option.

We are dragging WI to our level with these low and slow pitches. They played such exciting cricket against England but everything here is being played at snails pace

India - 65/1 7.4/20 ov RR: 8.47
West Indies - 157/7 20/20 ov RR: 7.85
IND require 93 runs with 74 balls remaining | Req. Run Rate 7.54

It was similar against Ireland.

What Pollard complaining with umpires so deep that he even not realised sky was hugging him.. lol..

What a poor innings from Ishan Kishan, 15.25 Crores man from MI!

WI 157/7 (20)

IND 162/4 (18.5)

India won by 6 wkts

PLAYER OF THE MATCH
Ravi Bishnoi

Player of the Match-winning performance on debut by Ravi Bishnoi and vital knocks from Rohit Sharma and Suryakumar Yadav helped India take a 1-0 lead against West Indies in the first T20I in Kolkata.

After winning the toss in the 1st T20I in Kolkata, Indian skipper Rohit Sharma decided to bowl first. Deepak Chahar, Harshal Patel and Bhuvneshwar Kumar were back in the XI and Ravi Bishnoi was given his debut cap.

Although West Indies lost the ODI series, they came in with great T20I form after their series win against England. The positive for West Indies was the return of their captain Keiron Pollard who had missed the last two ODIs due to a knee injury.

The decision to bowl first paid rich dividends as the Indian pacers found help from the conditions and got the ball swinging from the start. The first wicket for India came in the form of Brandon King (5) who fell prey to an out-swinging delivery of Bhuvneshwar Kumar in the first over. But Kyle Mayers and Nicholas Pooran batted sensibly and took West Indies to 44 in the Powerplay.

Mayers had started to look dangerous but Yuzvendra Chahal broke through as the opener departed for 31. Debutant Bishnoi had a dream start to his career as he picked up wickets of Roston Chase and Rovman Powell in one over and put West Indies on backfoot. Nicholas Pooran, on the other side, kept finding the boundaries while also anchoring the innings.

Along with the returning Pollard, both the batters took the attack to the Indian bowlers in the death. Pooran’s brilliant 61 off 43 balls and Pollard’s 19-ball 24 provided the late charge and helped West Indies finish 157/7 in 20 overs.

Chasing the 158, skipper Rohit Sharma stamped his authority inside the Powerplay as Ishan Kishan struggled to find his touch. He didn't miss any opportunities to score and in typical style, dispatched anything short to the boundary ropes.

Desperate to break the opening stand, Pollard threw the ball to Roston Chase and the move paid off. In his second over, he dismissed Rohit who holed out at deep mid-wicket. His impactful innings of 40 runs in 19 deliveries had set the tone for an easy run chase.

Ishan Kishan and Virat Kohli carried the momentum forward but Chase once again broke the stand, dismissing the set batter Kishan for 35. India lost two more wickets in the next three overs with Virat and Rishabh Pant making the long walk back.

The three quick wickets put India on the backfoot momentarily but Suryakumar Yadav raced off the blocks and batter through. He remained unbeaten on 34 off 18 deliveries, with Venkatesh Iyer keeping him company till the end with a 13-ball 24*. Iyer finished the match off in style with a six and took India to victory with 7 balls and 6 wickets to spare.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2489108

Back