T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Overview

Ireland v India
The Village, Malahide, Dublin
2nd T20I
Friday 29 June; 15:00 GMT, 16:00 local

The first of two Twenty20 Internationals went the way of the higher-ranked Indians as Ireland first let the visiting side score 208/5 and were then restricted for 132/9.

Though the margin of defeat – 76 runs – was a big one, the Irish performance was not altogether disappointing. After Rohit Sharma (97) and Shikhar Dhawan (74) blazed away at the start to put up 160 for the first wicket in 16 overs, the Irish bowlers did claw back.

Peter Chase was especially good, picking up the wickets of MS Dhoni, Sharma and Virat Kohli in the final over on his way to returns of 4/35. Boyd Rankin and Paul Stirling kept things moderately tight too. Among the batsmen, James Shannon, only a handful of international matches old, did well against a strong bowling attack to score a 35-ball 60 with five fours and four sixes.

On the whole, though, Ireland fell well short on all counts, and Kuldeep Yadav, the Player of the Match for his 4/21, put it down to their inexperience against quality spin.

“They played the fast bowlers well, but struggled against the spinners, because they were not using their feet properly. We [Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal] varied the pace. Maybe they are not used to it,” said Yadav.

The pitch did assist spinners more than most people expected, catching even Gary Wilson, the Ireland captain, by surprise. “I did not expect it to spin like it did in the second innings,” he said after the game. “Possibly, I could have bowled the spinners more. In hindsight, that's always the thing, isn't it?”

The Indian spinners got into the game after a typically belligerent effort by the Indian batsmen. With that many runs on the board, it was always going to be catch-up for the Irish batsmen, making it easier for Yadav and Chahal [3/38] to cash in.

“We put up good runs with the bat. So it became easier for me, because we had a lot of runs to defend,” agreed Yadav. “Spinners always prefer that, because it gives us a chance to attack. Personally too, it was great, because the ball came out the way I wanted to. I pitched it where I wanted and I could use my variations as well. So it was a good start.”

India can’t lose the series, so the Indian team management has decided to field the players – Dinesh Karthik, KL Rahul, Washington Sundar, Siddarth Kaul and Umesh Yadav – who missed the first outing.

“We're going to give everyone a go in this series. The management and me as captain decided it. There're no mysteries and we’re looking everyone to give game time,” said Kohli at the end of the Wednesday fixture.

For Ireland, that provides an excellent opportunity to notch up a win against a top team, something they have done in one-day international cricket often enough.

Key players

Peter Chase (Ireland): The 24-year-old right-arm pacer is among the more exciting young cricketers in Ireland, and gave another example of what he is capable of in the first game. Picking up three wickets in the final over of the Indian innings was an excellent effort, and if Chase can pull off a similar feat in the second game, it will give Ireland something to build on.

Siddarth Kaul (India): The right-arm pacer is 28, and might finally get a chance to make his international debut. If he does, as Kohli has promised, Kaul can show off his excellent T20 bowling skills, which gave him 21 wickets in the 2018 Indian Premier League. Good at the start and at the death, Kaul has the tricks needed for the format, and might surprise the Irish with his expertise.

Conditions

A bright day with comfortably warm temperatures have been forecast for Dublin on Friday, and that should be perfect. There are runs to be scored, as witnessed in the first game, and that should make it a fun outing for the spectators.

Squads

Ireland: Gary Wilson (c), Andy Balbirnie, Peter Chase, George Dockrell, Joshua Little, Andy McBrine, Kevin O’Brien, William Porterfield, Stuart Poynter, Boyd Rankin, James Shannon, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson

India: Virat Kohli (c), Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Shikhar Dhawan, MS Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik, Siddarth Kaul, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Washington Sundar, Umesh Yadav

Big game for Ireland , they need to show some fight here. India would like to test few youngsters here who did not get opportunity in first game.

Its going to be an interesting/testing Tour of England for Kohli :jimmy

Kohli's 2nd flop on this England tour.

He is not a slogger. He looks uncomfortable when trying to hit big like a Rohit or Rahul. Should not open in T20's. Leave to FTB's man.

Kohli is Chase's bunny. Gone 2nd time to him on this tour.

Hope Rahul scores at least a 50. India needs his batting desperately.

That's a fantastic hit by KL Rahul. Just love how elegant his cricketing shots are.

Kohli started tour badly but will finish tour will triple centuries against andreson and broad.

Glad to see Rahul and others getting opportunity today.

Kohli and Rahul opening combo won't work for India.They don't know who will be aggressor in the partnership.

If Kohli wants to open for India then he should open with dhawan.

Glad to see Rahul and others getting opportunity today.

Kohli and Rahul opening combo won't work for India.They don't know who will be aggressor in the partnership.

If Kohli wants to open for India then he should open with dhawan.

Kohli opening is a joke. He does not have the mindset to hit big in the first 6 overs.

Kohli should look to play between overs 8-17 where his style of scoring works. Leave the opening to Rohit/Rahul/Dhawan.

Kohli opening is a joke. He does not have the mindset to hit big in the first 6 overs.

Kohli should look to play between overs 8-17 where his style of scoring works. Leave the opening to Rohit/Rahul/Dhawan.

Yep,His T20 batting has also regressed since the start of 2017.Not sure why Kohli wants to open when he's already been great for India at no 3.

Yep,His T20 batting has also regressed since the start of 2017.Not sure why Kohli wants to open when he's already been great for India at no 3.

He has spoken of flexible batting order in odis and T20 this is part of that experiment

KL Rahul showing who the real boss is. 50 to champion at a strike rate of 186. Kohli should be hiding somewhere in the dressing room right now.

KL Rahul showing who the real boss is. 50 to champion at a strike rate of 186. Kohli should be hiding somewhere in the dressing room right now.

Kohli cannot play the shots that Rahul can. He is more suitable to strike at around 120-130 in middle overs of ODI's and T20's.

Striking at 200 is not his strength.

Kohli can still drop him in next match even if he scores 200 today and that's what called real boss lol.

Sharma is useless down the order. He should be opening or should be dropped from side.

Get ready for the tuk tuk of Manish Pandey. He will score 28(27) balls folks.

Rohit gone for a duck. KL succeeding and Rohit failing in the same match is what India needs in T20s. Kick this overrated Sharma out of the T20 setup.

Kohli can still drop him in next match even if he scores 200 today and that's what called real boss lol.

It doesn't work like that. He will need to explain for his actions and if India loses, media will ask for his head instead. Lol

So far Pandey has not disappointed.

5(9) and he is living up to his reputation.

Can we discard this Manish pandey for good? He doesn’t deserve high quality competitions lyk international or ipl...better he sticks to that domestics for Karnataka winning ranji trophies year after another and stay happy

Manish Pandey is half a year late on every ball. Haven't seen him time a stroke since beginning of IPL

Only Kohli can think of sending Pandey ahead of Dk and Pandya during 14th over of a T20 match.

We lost the tests in SA. Where was the accountability for that?
Its not a new thing for India but we won odi series in a thumping fashion 6-1 which no Indian team ever done before..never an Indian captain returned with multiple trophies from SA tour..

Manish Pandey is half a year late on every ball. Haven't seen him time a stroke since beginning of IPL

I have not seen him time the ball well since 2016 IPL. Everytime I saw him, he was too slow to pick the ball and mistimes it.

I think it is time most fans just need to give up on this team winning the WC or any big test series outside india, we right now have a good enough team to compete and win in most countries barring maybe Aus. But this consistent bad decision making from the chump and his ******* means that we are never actually going to see how good this team can be outside india.

8* of 11 balls for Pandey as of now.

It seems like Pandey is becoming another Dhoni(over the hill one).Pandey has lost his dynamism which is especially required in shortest format.He shouldn't be in T20 squad.

Its not a new thing for India but we won odi series in a thumping fashion 6-1 which no Indian team ever done before..never an Indian captain returned with multiple trophies from SA tour..

We had the team to win it this time. He just had to play the right players. Our rubbish captain could not do it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is time most fans just need to give up on this team winning the WC or any big test series outside india, we right now have a good enough team to compete and win in most countries barring maybe Aus. But this consistent bad decision making from the chump and his ******* means that we are never actually going to see how good this team can be outside india.

They are experimenting. Why so angry? It's just Ireland.. and just a T20 game...

Chill.

Lol
[MENTION=141165]jagatk[/MENTION]..I take my words back...karthik didn't get to bat...ahahahaha...

We had the team to win it this time. He just had to play the right players. Our mentally challenged captain could not do it. :(
Every Indian team toured before excpt the one when sachin was captaining were supposed to win but we know the end result..we were having mentally challnged midgets who lost the series even after going 1 up in the first test of a 3 match series and yet we call them legends..many mentally challenged captains lost muliple odi series in shameless fashion and captains having world#1 ranking faced clean sweep

When compared to all these historic drubbings...5-1 odi series win along with a test match and t20 series win doesn’t seem soo bad

Hardik Panday very good batting in the end...its done India should easily win this match

They are experimenting. Why so angry? It's just Ireland.. and just a T20 game...

Chill.

I am not talking about 1 particular decision or this particular series. Consistent chopping and changing of KL's position in ODI's, Not trusting Pujara in tests because he scores slowly, the humongous stupidity in dropping rahane in SA, an even bigger moronic idea if that was even possible in dropping bhuvi in SA. Chump lacks something called a working brain when it comes to tactics and team selections and his lackey isn't much of a help.

Now i get why he wanted Kumble gone, any one with a brain would be telling kohli how stupid his decisions are and his fragile ego couldn't handle it.

We lost the tests in SA. Where was the accountability for that?

They had a good excuse for that. Didn't play enough warmup games. Now if the results remain same after the Eng tour there will be questions raised about Kohli's captaincy.

I am not talking about 1 particular decision or this particular series. Consistent chopping and changing of KL's position in ODI's, Not trusting Pujara in tests because he scores slowly, the humongous stupidity in dropping rahane in SA, an even bigger moronic idea if that was even possible in dropping bhuvi in SA. Chump lacks something called a working brain when it comes to tactics and team selections and his lackey isn't much of a help.

Now i get why he wanted Kumble gone, any one with a brain would be telling kohli how stupid his decisions are and his fragile ego couldn't handle it.

Let's hope management makes sensible decisions this time around =)

This [MENTION=144311]Brodipet_baadshah[/MENTION]

Let's hope management makes sensible decisions this time around =)

A management that involves Kohli and Shastri, i would bet on Trump making smarter decisions before even dreaming of those 2 making sensible ones.

I don't know why you guys don't like him. I personally think he is a great asset for India

He is good ...bowls reasonably well as a fifth bowler taking crucial wickets at times and scores quickly once in every few innings.
Those who do not like him are are under impression that an all rounder player is only an all rounder if he has bowling skills of Mcgrath and hitting skills of Gilchrist and fields like Jonty...all in one

This should be our T20 squad imo-

KL
Rohit
Dhawan
Kohli
DK/Raina
Pant(wk)
Pandya
Bhuvi
Chahal/Sundar/Umesh (Depending upon the pitch and conditions)
Kuldeep
Bumrah

Back